• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_obzl5swoYh1skeohxo1_400.gif

the celebratory belly to belly

Latoya Ferguson's raw review is pretty good

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/fresh-coat-paint-wont-stop-wwe-raw-doing-its-worst-241176

As for Roman Reigns, this honestly isn’t about his wrestling ability any more. And that’s a problem in-and-of itself, because what’s wrong with him is so much larger than his in-ring ability (which is fine). The question becomes “who cares about his in-ring ability,” because everything else is so dire when it comes to his character, his presentation, and his very presence. Even the more “mark”-based, casual Corpus Christi crowd can’t muster up a reason to chant for him. They chant “USA.” Roman is literally the USA guy insert in this feud, like Titus O’Neil just was, only without a build-up to Uncle Sam attire. And it’s not just a Corpus Christi thing, as he was getting the faint “USA” chants (again, not “Roman” chants) when he first insert himself into Rusev and the United States Championship’s orbit. If that’s still not a sign that whatever WWE is trying to do with Roman isn’t working, then nothing is.

Reigns wins a match (a great match that is also marred by terrible booking—go figure) that shouldn’t even “exist,” both because it effectively kills anticipation for a match six days away and because it paints him as the hero for refusing to apologize for disrespecting another man’s (a colleague’s) wife. Rusev’s character (who is pretty much a “what you see is what you get” kind of guy) doesn’t even want an apology for himself, just for his wife. He’s the villain? Give me a break. The one consistent in Roman Reigns’ character as a singles wrestler is that he’s a selfish guy who doesn’t respect or care about anything. “One Versus All,” you know? As it’s presented, his feud with Rusev isn’t about defending the United States (unlike with John Cena, Mark Henry, Titus O’Neil, or even Jack Swagger). It isn’t even about winning the United States Championship. The story they’re telling is that he just wants to ruin this guy’s life because he has nothing better to do and because he thinks he’s deserving of a shiny belt. That’s “The Varsity Villain” Alex Riley characterization, not the characterization you give your roster’s supposed top babyface. Unless he’s The Rock.

Roman Reigns is not The Rock. He will never be The Rock. No one else will ever be The Rock.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just reiterating what everyone has said a million times. WWE has a table on a whiteboard somewhere that says Heel | Face and just lists a bunch of names, and whoever is on the heel side is the bad guy no matter what he does and whoever is on the face side is the good guy no matter what he does.

Doesn't matter what the perception is, or who is cheered or booed during a match. If WWE says a guy is a heel, he's a goddamn heel, fuck you.

Sephzilla

Hardees sounds like a gay strip club. What is it? Fast food place?

It's the name of a fast food chain where you massively overpay for very mediocre food.

I'd put Hardees/Carl's Jr below McDonalds, BK, Arby's, Culvers, and Wendy's all day every day.

Sheamus vs Cesaro had the best match last week (of course with the way last weeks Raw was, they didn't have to try much) and the two generally put good matches on with the other. So I don't mind this necessarily. I hope it leads to some fun matches.

Also Sheamus' snapping at the audience when they said he looked stupid by shutting them up by pointing out they paid to see him was great.

jmdajr

Getting cable TV again today. Maybe I'll watch Smackdown tonight

PS Vue has worked out well.

You can use your PS Vue log in to watch live on the USA now app. I'm sure you can do that with whatever provider you choose as well.

Just nice I don't have to do a contract.

Sephzilla

PS Vue has worked out well.

You can use your PS Vue log in to watch live on the USA now app. I'm sure you can do that with whatever provider you chose as well.

Just nice I don't have to do a contract.

Vue doesn't really cover the NFL at all plus the jump from internet only to internet + cable was actually cheaper than Vue (for the first year). So I figured what the hell.

It's always weird to hear such loud chants but then seeing a largely apathetic looking crowd. Maybe they just turned up the crowd mics in a specific area.

Oersted

We have Demon King Finn and Devil's favourite corporate Kane.

Is there a internal demon pecking order at WWE? How come the demon king is not the devil's favourite? Does the devil dislike indie flippie shit?

Lets hope for another Finn video.

jmdajr

Vue doesn't really cover the NFL at all plus the jump from internet only to internet + cable was actually cheaper than Vue (for the first year). So I figured what the hell.

that's true.

You might get Monday Night Football and Sunday Night Football but all local games will be blocked. Ps Vue here in Houston has all the local channels, but when the Texans game started...they weren't showing it.

No matter. I just used my over the air antenna.

I mostly have Vue now for Olympics. Don't know if I will keep it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I'm on the final RAW before Over the Edge.

I...actually loved this Blue Blazer character. He stood for something! And used the Dragon Sleeper! And probably was Owen Hart!

10 Things WWE Wants You To Forget About SummerSlam

First SS Match Ended in a Draw (SS 1988)
SS '92 was taped
Flair vs Savage (a match that never was)
HBK vs Razor 2 Was Almost HBK vs Sid (SS '95)
The Mountie Gets Sexually Assaulted in Prison (SS '91)
Randy and Miss Elizabeth Were Already Married (SS '91)
The Cast of Jackass vs Umaga (SS '07)
Eddie Guerrero Pissed of at Vickie (SS '05)
A Fan Nearly Ruined the End of the Undertaker vs JBL Match (SS' 04)

It's a Miracle SS '92 Was Good

Raw is waaay tooo long, even fast forwarding through it mostly I got tired and thought I'd reached the end when Seth called out the demon king that is not Kane, only to find out there was another hour of this stuff and that it included a whole Summerslam match.
It's too much.

Also why was Heath Slater the best part of the show? how come the jobber lady cut a more natural promo than most of the roster including the male side? why do we have to endure Sheamus/Cesaro potentially 7 more times in succession?

WWE is truly a product now where watching the PPVs only is almost certainly the best way to follow it concerning Raw and Smackdown at least, the filler factor has shot through the roof.

Kaladin

Last night we opted for 1997 Raw instead of today's Raw and even got through a PPV.....

Ground Zero: In Your House 1997

This show is quite the mixed bag and again overshadowed by the things that are still to come. The main event is incredible and must see match that should get at least 4 stars on any ratings. The rest of the card.....eh. You have Pillman vs Goldust in an angle that saw Pillman winning and taking Marlena as his assistant for 30 days with the implications that he would be having sex with her for 30 days. Knowing what we know now, if that was my last 30 days alive, it wouldn't be a bad way to go. Moving on we had Brian Christopher who lacks any form of charisma at all at this point except for an annoying as fuck laugh that makes me want to stab him every time he does it. He's taking on Scott Putski in chapter 4,567 of their rivalry. Putski's left knee gives up on him and he's counted out. They show his knee cap being in the wrong part of his leg too many times. Up next we have Chapter 15,698 of the ongoing gang warfare for nothing. I don't care what happened, and moved on. Finally something interesting though, we have minis! Max Mini taking on El Torito in a decent match that even saw Lawler get used for a good comedy spot. At some point we had Stone Cold and Dude Love give up their tag belts on this show, and now we have a Fatal Four Way with The Headbangers, The Godwins, LOD and Owen and The Bulldog. This was just building to a spot where Stone Cold comes out (by god, he shouldn't be out here) and stuns Owen to allow The Headbangers to win. God I love Stone Cold. Bret Hart vs The Patriot is kinda eh. The Patriot is an odd character that sticks out like a sore thumb in an ever growing attitude era and it's obvious he was just brought in to face anti-American heels because he's gone by the end of the year. The main event though....this main event. You have both Undertaker and HBK taking out refs left and right as Undertaker tries to kill HBK and HBK tries to run for his life. I think they go through 5 or 6 refs, and Slaughter lets it happen till the last ref says fuck this and throws it out after a full on early DX run in. These two can't be contained and I can't wait to see what they do with them next.

It's a B+ purely on the strength of the main event, and it's one hell of a main event.

Seth referred to his match at Summerslam as 'Devitt v Black' followed shortly with 'This is Special' on Twitter. Hopefully this means Seth is excited to work with Balor and both of them have an awesome match in store for us on Sunday.

If only USA had a few other shows with at least relatively close to Raw ratings and didn't need WWE programming so badly to prop their numbers up.

Oersted

Seth Rollins- returns from injury, focussed on proving himself

Rusev- defends his wife

Reigns- returns after being popped for being juiced, insults and harasses a loving couple

Find the face. On that note, New Day jumped the shark.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't catch any of Raw last night other than that dope jiff of Nia Jax shoving that girl off the ring that was making the rounds on tweeter.

Guess you all are still talking about Roman Reigns huh? LMAO

klonere

Banned
Post G-1 oh god summer is nearly over fave 5:

1) Kenny Omega
2) Kento Miyahara
3) Naomichi Marufuji
4) Mark Haskins
5) Will Ospreay

BONUS ROUND I LOVE WRESTLING HONOURABLE MENTIONS!!!
6) Tomohiro Ishii
7) Tetsuya Naito
8) Kazuchika Okada
9) Bad Luck Fale
10) Cedric Alexander
Haven't watched any American Indies in a while but he's still fucking great) Chris Hero

Well WrassleGAF where you @ with your current year fav 5? It might be healthy to not talk about Roman Reigns!!!!!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm a current Fave-o Five-o. Hmmm. Omega has stepped up in a HUGE way.

NeoGAF Vince McMahon, I'm challenging you and your two favorite WrassleGAFers to a game of goalball.

what the heck is that?

Top Bottom