• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Menome

I think I'm just gonna delete all of these Smackdown episodes. I have no interest in Ambrose or Ziggler. It's a damn shame AJ is even on this show. He and his theme deserve better.

At least watch the promo between Ambrose and Ziggler from this week, it's a quarter-hour of your time at most. I had absolutely no interest in Ziggler until the past couple of weeks and he's been cutting some genuinely good ones.

Hasney

If Roman Reigns wins the US title tomorrow, I'm going to assume that it was due to good behaviour ratting out the evil drug dealer Eva Marie.

Well turns out I'm not watching either cause I'm going to a Quince. Can't remember the last time I didn't watch a WWE PPV live. Maybe I get lucky and become #Lapsed

UberTag

So I just watched this Kevin Owens interview as conducted by Xavier Woods about tonight's NXT main event...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthDzR02vj8

And it got me thinking... when The New Day have their eventual break-up and go their separate ways - Kofi retires, Big E gets his singles push - how awesome would it be to have Woods act in this capacity full-time? As a backstage correspondent?

I mean, I'm not going to hold out hope that he'd get a full-fledged push as a manager because Vince clearly doesn't believe in that so why not put him in this role? Just look at how much more personable and warm he is in terms of engaging the talent compared with those wooden guys and JoJo that they have in that role right now where they ask the most inane and idiotic questions imaginable and just stand there an idiot.

Also, Kevin excels on the mic both in character and out of character. It's impossible not to appreciate the intangible that he brings that so many other people lack.

Hasney

So I just watched this Kevin Owens interview as conducted by Xavier Woods about tonight's NXT main event...

And it got me thinking... when The New Day have their eventual break-up and go their separate ways - Kofi retires, Big E gets his singles push - how awesome would it be to have Woods act in this capacity full-time? As a backstage correspondent?

I mean, I'm not going to hold out hope that he'd get a full-fledged push as a manager because Vince clearly doesn't believe in that so why not put him in this role? Just look at how much more personable and warm he is in terms of engaging the talent compared with those wooden guys and JoJo that they have in that role right now where they ask the most inane and idiotic questions imaginable and just stand there an idiot.

Also, Kevin excels on the mic both in character and out of character. It's impossible not to appreciate the intangible that he brings that so many other people lack.

But I like Xavier wrestling...

Adree

Tom Phillips is great though?
I figure he'll have a commentator job if he ever gets seriously injured.

So what's the rub on Cathy Kelley? Every interview she does is great and she seems to have an amazing knowledge of the business. Even on that Holy Foley preview she was taking command really well.

Agree so much. He will end up being a great heel colour commentator down the line. Dude is really quick witted while still able to keep things within the WWE boundaries.

Exodust

Banned
Turns out I have WWE Network? I'm house sitting for my dad and it turns out WWE Network is a channel on his cable provider instead of a streaming service. Looking through the schedule and it seems like NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2 is happening tonight. Guess I'll be watching for my boy NakAmerica.

UberTag

Me too.

My couch is so comfy.
They should make that a thing for wrestling events. Let a group of people reserve a designated section of the floor in the first row with space where they can bring their couch and watch the live event from there instead of having to sit in those awful metal folding chairs.

Anth0ny

wwe is not interested in having a charismatic, articulate, excited to be there black man in a commentary/interviewer position.

how about david otunga and byron sexton instead?

gun_haver

Agree so much. He will end up being a great heel colour commentator down the line. Dude is really quick witted while still able to keep things within the WWE boundaries.

People can't say enough about how good KO is but here's some piss for the parade - I think he's a little bit awkward on the mic. He's definitely above average for the current roster, but I'd say there are maybe 2 or 3 legitimately good talkers on the roster right now, so that really isn't a high standard.

I think it's cos he has mostly been given comedy stuff to do, which I think isn't as strong an aspect of him on the mic as people seem to believe. He IS witty, yeah, but his delivery is very casual and lacks showmanship. You can see it when he is given promo time shared with Jericho - he can't really keep up. It's like you're just watching some non-performer talk. I guess you could interpret that as cool but to me it just seems unfocused.

But yeah I do think he would do very well on commentary because that's a better format for his kind of comedic/sarcastic delivery than live mic time in an arena.

I do seem to remember when he gets to do intense promos though, he can pull that off pretty well. I don't mean to crap on him at all - I'm just waiting for them to give him a program worth caring about, cos he'll be the highlight of it I expect.

They should make that a thing for wrestling events. Let a group of people reserve a designated section of the floor in the first row with space where they can bring their couch and watch the live event from there instead of having to sit in those awful metal folding chairs.
Like the Mean Street Posse?

FCA-MeanStPosse.png

UberTag

I think it's cos he has mostly been given comedy stuff to do, which I think isn't as strong an aspect of him on the mic as people seem to believe. He IS witty, yeah, but his delivery is very casual and lacks showmanship. You can see it when he is given promo time shared with Jericho - he can't really keep up. It's like you're just watching some non-performer talk. I guess you could interpret that as cool but to me it just seems unfocused.
I appreciate Kevin's raw, unpolished absence of "showmanship". It comes off as genuine. Daniel Bryan has the same quality. And it comes off as fresh and appealing in the realm of sports entertainment where everyone almost everyone on commentary and a good chunk of the roster come off as robots with no personality outside of corporate mouthpiece.

I think KO can be great on the mic, but too often he relies on sarcastic retorts that are just boring and lazy.
He does have his crutches. No denying that. There's clearly room for improvement on that front.

Hasney

Thought the pre-show was starting now, but it's this week in WWE. They got some fat kid to be painted like a Balor demon and had a bunch of wrestlers practice their acting by saying it looked good.

gun_haver

I appreicate Kevin's raw, unpolished absence of "showmanship". It comes off as genuine. Daniel Bryan has the same quality. And it comes off as fresh and appealing in the realm of sports entertainment where everyone almost everyone on commentary and a good chunk of the roster come off as robots with no personality outside of corporate mouthpiece..

I get you, but I think people are just reacting this positively to his mic work simply because he has a personality that he allows to shine through. That's more than almost the entire roster does, so it stands out as 'huh, well at least this is something'.

I just don't think it counts as being a great verbal performer. His off the cuff stuff when he's in ring works for sure, that's when he's at his best, I think cos he tends to be shouting when that happens.

You know what it is, really - he lacks timing, and emphasis. If he could just tighten that stuff up a bit then he'd be better. Ambrose is better with this, and he similarly rambles a bit, but he knows when to tighten things up even when he's being funny. Ambrose has his flaws on the mic, too - really, none of these guys are great.

Personality and performance is something I think the WWE really has to work on because you can have the greatest in ring work in the world, but that can get overshadowed easily by amateur mic work and I think Kevin Owens has more than a couple of moments when he sounds like an amateur on the mic.

Aiii

So not worth it
UFC on the right screen, NXT on the left screen, GAF on the middle screen.

Yep, this will do for THE sports entertainment evening of the month.

People can't say enough about how good KO is but here's some piss for the parade - I think he's a little bit awkward on the mic. He's definitely above average for the current roster, but I'd say there are maybe 2 or 3 legitimately good talkers on the roster right now, so that really isn't a high standard.

This is very true, which makes it awesome they are putting him with Jericho for a while to improve in that area. Jericho has been top level on the mic for decades now using him to boost up someone who should be main eventing Mania in a few years time makes a lot of sense. Owens has definitely improved since arriving in terms of mic work so I really feel he sees it as an area to work on.

Top Bottom