• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

miserable

couple of jiffs from Takeover:

aries16lj4.gif

askatwb7n.gif

samoaj1uz4s.gif

Wrasslin fam was the Samoa joe/Nakamura fight good? Btw do y'all think connor/nate was a fuckin work. It was extremely close and I feel like that close ass outcome was only to continue the rivalry into a trilogy. Like if a knockout or submit happened of course the winner is all good. But if it came to points it was always gonna be conor for fight 2

McMahon must envy the calculated and logical methods Dana White has implemented from the dubya dubya eff to drum up that super hype for these ppvs

Zach

The other thing I noticed with Nia Jax, and I've noticed it a lot with the women's division but a lot of the younger/newer wrestlers in general, is how choreographed to a tee everything they do is. Their entrances are exactly the same every single time. Does anyone else think that is stupid? Nia Jax comes into the ring, stands on her mark, finds the camera and does that dumb "hand in the fist" thing every single time. It makes them look so robotic and inauthentic as characters to me. It makes me wonder if NXT is in a way the best and worst thing to happen. Getting guys/girls into the "WWE style" earlier in their development than they did before seems to kill any natural charisma or originality they might have.

She had a match where she blatantly faced torward the camera the entire time. It was a squash match ahead of her feud with Asuka. It looked so contrived.

Mmhmm, mmhmm. This is a consistent problem in and out of the ring for WWE/NXT. Gets on my nerves.

The other thing I noticed with Nia Jax, and I've noticed it a lot with the women's division but a lot of the younger/newer wrestlers in general, is how choreographed to a tee everything they do is. Their entrances are exactly the same every single time. Does anyone else think that is stupid? Nia Jax comes into the ring, stands on her mark, finds the camera and does that dumb "hand in the fist" thing every single time. It makes them look so robotic and inauthentic as characters to me. It makes me wonder if NXT is in a way the best and worst thing to happen. Getting guys/girls into the "WWE style" earlier in their development than they did before seems to kill any natural charisma or originality they might have.

Yepppp, and I think it goes beyond the entrances. I've been saying a lot of main roster womans matches look and feel like badly choreographed matches given the amount of mess ups and slip ups. They're just not fluid at all.

I just realized Roode, Joe and Aries are 38/39, Nakamura is around the same age and Itami is 35. Can anyone explain the idea behind signing guys this old and sticking them in NXT? Iget it and I don't, but I'm also highly suspect of them doing well on the main roster.

Hasney

I just realized Roode, Joe and Aries are 38/39, Nakamura is around the same age and Itami is 35. Can anyone explain the idea behind signing guys this old and sticking them in NXT? Iget it and I don't, but I'm also highly suspect of them doing well on the main roster.

NXT is it's own brand rather than just being purely developmental now. HHH pretty much said it after The End.

Having guys of that calibur around to train with and have matches with is just going to bring everybodies game up.

NXT is it's own brand rather than just being purely developmental now. HHH pretty much said it after The End.

Having guys of that calibur around to train with and have matches with is just going to bring everybodies game up.

Yeah that's what I figured. I personally am enjoying the NXT stuff a lot more than main roster right now because it reminds of WCW mid-card a lot.

klonere

Banned
I knew I stopped watching NOAH for a reason.

The G1 to this is totally inexplicable, holy shit ZERO respect for the tournament here. Could have taken a gigantic shit on the cup itself and it would have come across better. At least all the exhibition matches were a lot of fun.

Hex

Banned
Nakamura should just vacate the title and move on to WWE.

Do people think before they say this?
Are you not familiar with the booking in the main roster?
Let's see how the next few weeks with AJ and Balor go, then we can revisit this

gun_haver

It makes total sense to hire a bunch of experienced performers for the newer, younger guys they bring in to work with. Also like Hasney said, they want to sell tickets to show as well now and go on tour so they need some bigger names.

However, right now NXT is pretty packed with experienced veterans, who are in the back half of their 30s, and not as many of the Apollo Crews, Baron Corbin types (who probably should have had another year in NXT), in their late 20's or early 30's, so yeah it feels a bit lopsided.

NXT feels older than it should right now. The women's division has almost the opposite problem - a bunch of nobodies, and Asuka. Hopefully Ember Moon is gonna step up quickly to help fix that, and really underdevelopment of the roster in developmental shouldn't be looked at as a negative.

Zach

If NXT is no longer considered developmental, perhaps they should redesign the championship belts that scream developmental.

klonere

Banned
I have even worse news for poor Datazord.

Naito says he's committed to going after the IC belt at the Dome and doesn't think it's a step down from the heavyweight one.

MC Safety

NXT has become a way station for guys who belong in WWE. This pay per view highlighted how top heavy the franchise has become. I don't think it serves any purpose except for creating gridlock for the new wrestlers.

Let the newbies learn by competing against one another. Promote the grizzled veterans and free up some roster space.

Recall

NXT has become a way station for guys who belong in WWE. This pay per view highlighted how top heavy the franchise has become. I don't think it serves any purpose except for creating gridlock for the new wrestlers.

Let the newbies learn by competing against one another. Promote the grizzled veterans and free up some roster space.

So maybe just enjoy the matches instead of nit picking everything?

Who cares about its grander purpose. Can't you be entertained by what they present you?

There was a time where we begged to have shows like the NXT ones and now we have them the response is simply "you're doing it wrong WWE".

Fuck's sake.

While I think this is a problem, huge roster, let's look back on WCW's hayday with the mid-card. That was a STACKED mid-card and they managed to keep matches entertaining and have minimal story. Look at the TV & Cruiserweight championships just for how diverse and stacked this all was.

Part of it, for me at least, is because WCW (and to an extent NXT) don't do these overly elaborate multi-month stories. They allow matches to just be matches without stipulations. Dean could lose to Jericho one week, but then Jericho would take a loss to Eddie or Ultimo the following week. I dunno, people complain about 50/50 booking but the issue with the current 50/50 booking it's tied to heavily to a story.

Barrage

While I think this is a problem, huge roster, let's look back on WCW's hayday with the mid-card. That was a STACKED mid-card and they managed to keep matches entertaining and have minimal story. Look at the TV & Cruiserweight championships just for how diverse and stacked this all was.

Part of it, for me at least, is because WCW (and to an extent NXT) don't do these overly elaborate multi-month stories. They allow matches to just be matches without stipulations. Dean could lose to Jericho one week, but then Jericho would take a loss to Eddie or Ultimo the following week. I dunno, people complain about 50/50 booking but the issue with the current 50/50 booking it's tied to heavily to a story.

That idea can't work in a hypersensitive climate like today's where if you take a clean loss you're immediately "buried" or a "jobber".

Now that kayfabe is dead no match is just a match, everything is an indictment on a characters worth.

The Revival are the tag team the main roster don't deserve. Especially with how every tag match ends up just being paint by numbers at this point.

That idea can't work in a hypersensitive climate like today's where if you take a clean loss you're immediately "buried" or a "jobber".

Now that kayfabe is dead no match is just a match, everything is an indictment on a characters worth.

Well yeah, that's part of the problem but NJPW and NXT seem to do a good job with this. It's just that WWE never moved on from these winner/loser type matches, or stories.

So maybe just enjoy the matches instead of nit picking everything?

Who cares about its grander purpose. Can't you be entertained by what they present you?

There was a time where we begged to have shows like the NXT ones and now we have them the response is simply "you're doing it wrong WWE".

Fuck's sake.
It's amazing how much people try to overthink things, wrestlers are happily putting on a fantastic wrestling show, let's nitpick.
I dont want nakamura to go to the main roster because im afraid the creative team will ruin him

And thats a problem imo
I still feel that way about Raw, but i'm not nervous about guys getting called up to SD! at this moment.

Pikma

Banned
The Revival match against Ciampa & Gargano>>>>> both of their matches against American Alpha

Which confirms my original theory:

The Revival>American Alpha

The Revival match against Ciampa & Gargano>>>>> both of their matches against American Alpha

Which confirms my original theory:

The Revival>American Alpha

I am now on board with this theory. I still enjoy AA, but it should say something when The Revival keep being involved in these great tag matches

Barrage

I am now on board with this theory. I still enjoy AA, but it should say something when The Revival keep being involved in these great tag matches

Its really the Revival doing a lot of the dirty work in these matches. Its a lot easier to look good when your teams the one getting the hot tag.

Counterpoint: Americna Alpha did have an excellent match against Baron Corbin and Rhyno tho. Thats gotta count for soemthing.

orioto

Good Art™
Well that was a jaw dropping main event!

I'm also a bit sad that they couldn't have Joe staying undefeated long. And he didn't even beat Balor directly, and became a champ in a house show.. That's the tna run all over again :p

miserable

I have even worse news for poor Datazord.

Naito says he's committed to going after the IC belt at the Dome and doesn't think it's a step down from the heavyweight one.

why do i have the feeling somehow Tana ends up winning the IC belt from ELgin and then it will be Naito vs Tana at the Dome

Its really the Revival doing a lot of the dirty work in these matches. Its a lot easier to look good when your teams the one getting the hot tag.

Counterpoint: Americna Alpha did have an excellent match against Baron Corbin and Rhyno tho. Thats gotta count for soemthing.

Also they're doing a lot of the great classic heel stuff. I know that's their whole schtick, but man is it so badly missed.

Obligatory negative comment: If they go up to the main they'll just be lost in the midst of New Day and 18 man tag matches

Mahonay

Banned
Was at a big party last night so I didn't get to finish watching TakeOver. They had UFC 202 on and the McGregor vs Diaz fight was pretty awesome at least. Some really annoying guy was screaming like crazy for Diaz to fuck McGregor up and was calling him a pussy and all this stuff, so I was happy to hear the decision at the end, lol. Reminded me why I stopped watching regularly years go.

I'll have to watch Nak vs Joe after my head stops hurting.

Zach

The Revival deserve the praise they're getting, but man do they still look terrible. And their theme is still the worst. Makes it a challenge for me to get in on the lovefest.

Top Bottom