• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Still steaming over Sasha losing.

If she had nagging injury problems why did they even give her the title in the first place?

this is the first time in a while that i've been legit upset at a title loss lol.

i loved sasha in the ring and it was nice to see a new woman's champion for once. not looking forward to the next few months of charlotte again....

Browny

Banned

Hunter looks perfect in that role.

this is the first time in a while that i've been legit upset at a title loss lol.

i loved sasha in the ring and it was nice to see a new woman's champion for once. not looking forward to the next few months of charlotte again....

Look for a new call-up to make an impact tonight.

(Which is a bullshit way of calling someone up and trying to get ratings. Man did they drop the ball on Paige imo.)

Jamie OD

Huh, guess I'm the only one who isn't over the moon about the Cena/AJ match. Do people really think its a MOTY? Just couldn't get into it at all.

Yeah Quildan was out there saying how much he thinks it helps promotions of his size. Plus he's done more for NJPWWorld for English speakers than NJPW itself.

I think the link for NJPW World recommendations he made is still around.

Fake Edit: Ah here it is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

miserable

He tapped Mickie James.

John-Cena-Shock-to-Smile.gif

Huh, guess I'm the only one who isn't over the moon about the Cena/AJ match. Do people really think its a MOTY? Just couldn't get into it at all.
Nakamura/Zayn is still MOTY but the match last night was really outstanding. It was one of the few that benefited both performers. WWE bungles so many guys but they've done right by Styles time and time again. He needs to be in the world title picture.

Boots plz post if u r ok

I'm all good :p

Was expecting this for a while, just wasn't expecting it to be WWE that got me popped - they've generally been fairly tolerant of GIFs in the past. Would've appreciated a simple DM from one of their community managers before they set the wolves on me, but it is what it is.

klonere

Banned
I'm all good :p

Was expecting this for a while, just wasn't expecting it to be WWE that got me popped - they've generally been fairly tolerant of GIFs in the past. Would've appreciated a simple DM from one of their community managers before they set the wolves on me, but it is what it is.

Twitter is a fantastic case study in how not to manage a platform. I'm seeing a lot of wrestlers/promoters/fans come out in support at least!

Nakamura/Zayn is still MOTY but the match last night was really outstanding. It was one of the few that benefited both performers. WWE bungles so many guys but they've done right by Styles time and time again. He needs to be in the world title picture.

Yeah I can see how it made Styles, definitely elevated him. But people don't stay made in this company for very long before the stink of weekly TV catches up with them.

I just absolutely abhor kick out spam as the basis for a match and that was the entirety of this match x100.

You should watch Omega/Naito :p

Twitter is a fantastic case study in how not to manage a platform. I'm seeing a lot of wrestlers/promoters/fans come out in support at least!

It's amazing that if someone's being abused it takes a seemingly gargantuan effort to get the abuser banned, but for the almighty copyright notice Twitter's very quick to take action.

I am away for another week and won't catch SummerSlam until next Sunday. I am glad by boy AJ pinned Cena clean!!

Get him the belt. And damn, I saw the Orton cut..that was brutal. I am sick of Lesnar. Get him out.

Yeah I can see how it made Styles, definitely elevated him. But people don't stay made in this company for very long before the stink of weekly TV catches up with them.

I just absolutely abhor kick out spam as the basis for a match and that was the entirety of this match x100.

You should watch Omega/Naito :p
I meant MOTY as far as WWE is concerned. I find it hard to compare matches across promotions personally.

Anyways it was just nice to see WWE actually have a super talented guy back up his good and passionate promos with a win. Styles seems like 'the man' right now and it has come across as a natural ascension. He seems the most credible of anyone in the promotion right now and this match went a long way in solidifying him as that.

The way they've handled Styles since he came in versus Balor is much preferred IMO. Shows WWE can really nail it sometimes.

"Obviously the idea was to get hardway blood. The elbow was designed to cut him open, and I don't know how badly [Orton] was hurt. Obviously he was selling and they were trying to work the idea that he was knocked out and they had to stop the match, and from what I can gather due to no one talking about anything going awry, that was probably close to what was supposed to happen, if not exactly what was supposed to happen... there was no doubt that [Lesnar] was looking to open him up."

Man JBL is the absolute worst on commentary, it's amazing how much better Mauro is. When AJ did the fireman's carry drop onto the knee the dipshit kept yelling "he's using his own move against him!" only for Mauro to correct the name seconds later. Then later Mauro called the enziguri the Pele kick on accident but corrected himself immediately, shit like that makes me appreciate his work. My girlfriend chuckles at my frustration of shitty announcers.

Cena/Styles was way behind Omega/Naito, Zayne/Nak and Zayne/Owens for me. It was just the same movez/kickout match we saw 3 times last year versus Owens.
The psychology of this match was fantastic. They finally did a role reversal with Cena and then followed through on it. The match and the outcome feels like Cena's match with Bryan and how it truly solidified him forever as a main event guy.

If Styles doesn't go after Ambrose (and IMO eventually win the title down the road) tonight then it will end up being meaningless but I really appreciate the spot it puts him in. Outside of Balor because he became champion, no one's character was improved as much as Styles' was.

PPV's should elevate guys and/or put their character in a different and more interesting situation. Too often these PPV's today end with many feuds feeling unsatisfying or culminating in a wet fart but Styles/Cena actually wraps up extremely well.

I wish WWE would treat everyone as well as they have AJ Styles. A lot of it has to do with how much of a pedigree he came in with but it's pretty clear they trust him and have been relatively hands off with him as well. Such a well handled rise up the card.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I guess that rumor of 10 people getting hit with wellness is true?

How many more will we see today?

edit: OLD LOGO GODDAMMIT

Man JBL is the absolute worst on commentary, it's amazing how much better Mauro is. When AJ did the fireman's carry drop onto the knee the dipshit kept yelling "he's using his own move against him!" only for Mauro to correct the name seconds later. Then later Mauro called the enziguri the Pele kick on accident but corrected himself immediately, shit like that makes me appreciate his work. My girlfriend chuckles at my frustration of shitty announcers.
WWE needs to go to two, two man teams if they insist on having brand specific announcers. Like almost everything they do the commentary is bloated. JBL has been awful for years. He's not a good heel announcer. He actually undermines the talent, distracts from what is happening and has zero chemistry with anyone. Being a heel commentator goes beyond just being an obnoxious asshole.

Kusagari

Cena/Styles was excellent because of the story it told. It actually reversed the normal Cena situation and had AJ be the guy who was getting his ass kicked most of the time and just refusing to give up. Cena's face after AJ kicked out of the super AA was some of the best character work he's ever done.

klonere

Banned
It's amazing that if someone's being abused it takes a seemingly gargantuan effort to get the abuser banned, but for the almighty copyright notice Twitter's very quick to take action.

I personally follow an account of a dude who regularly posts databases of 100k + user details, sometimes even selling them, while doxxing people. Been doing it for more than a year and not a peep.

I meant MOTY as far as WWE is concerned. I find it hard to compare matches across promotions personally.

Anyways it was just nice to see WWE actually have a super talented guy back up his good and passionate promos with a win. Styles seems like 'the man' right now and it has come across as a natural ascension. He seems the most credible of anyone in the promotion right now and this match went a long way in solidifying him as that.

The way they've handled Styles since he came in versus Balor is much preferred IMO. Shows WWE can really nail it sometimes.

Styles can cut a promo (shockingly enough given his track record). Balor is struggling. Still they definitely have stumbled into making Styles absolutely huge and that's because he's busted his ass in ring.

Ambrose is still so meh, they should have hotshotted the title on to Dolph then have Dolph drop it to AJ in a cool series of matches between the two. :(

klonere

Banned
Cena/Styles was excellent because of the story it told. It actually reversed the normal Cena situation and had AJ be the guy who was getting his ass kicked most of the time and just refusing to give up. Cena's face after AJ kicked out of the super AA was some of the best character work he's ever done.

I really, really didn't get that out of it. It just felt like a back and forth match where they traded big moves. Maybe if Styles had really worked on Cena's leg a ton and crippled him leading to hitting a big move (Cena isn't tapping, I know that) I could buy that story. But both of them got enough shine to not make it feel like one side was dominating. It wasn't Brock/Cena from Extreme Rules or whatever.

It definitely made Styles but my god does that type of match grind my gears so much.

So will the Smackdown tag titles just be bronze leather?

Nothing says "lazy as fuck" as the same title design for nearly all the belts, except different colors of the leather.

It's not like the regular WWE title was all that amazing of a design, anyways.

Hasney

WWE 2K17 ‏@WWEgames 9m9 minutes ago
Female Superstars will definitely be able to backstage brawl and fight in the crowd in #WWE2K17.

I'm not taking the time to read through the whole SummerSlam, but I enjoyed the show for the most part, other than that Reigns/Rusev garbage.

AJ/Cena and Rollins/Balor were my two favorite matches, but no one seems to be talking about the latter, other than how ugly the belt is. And who brought the entire Full Sail crowd up to Brooklyn to try to get themselves over throughout that match? Just awful.

Charlotte/Banks looked like it was a 15-minute attempt to kill Sasha with every move. Goddamn. I'm totally OK with Charlotte having the belt again; makes more sense.

Top Bottom