• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

I really, really didn't get that out of it. It just felt like a back and forth match where they traded big moves. Maybe if Styles had really worked on Cena's leg a ton and crippled him leading to hitting a big move (Cena isn't tapping, I know that) I could buy that story. But both of them got enough shine to not make it feel like one side was dominating. It wasn't Brock/Cena from Extreme Rules or whatever.

It definitely made Styles but my god does that type of match grind my gears so much.
I get where you're coming from. WWE's 'finisher spam' is years and years past expiration yet I don't think they'll ever reel it back. I wouldn't have minded that match having more brawling.

The match definitely put Cena in the place his opponents are usually in of 'I can't beat this guy! He took everything I've got multiple times!' Then they actually followed through and had Styles actually win. It's a nice change from stuff like the match he had with Bray at WM.

Even if you didn't love the match, which is fair, I think everyone should love where it puts Styles and WWE actually using long entrenched stars to help other parts of their roster. Its what they did with Jericho. It's what they did with Angle. It's my favorite thing WWE does.

Styles also got a backstage segment! He's like a well rounded character that is actually interesting and seems to be ambitious and going places! Crazy!

Either a bad blading job and a botched finish or that was all planned and Vince is senile
It was planned. It was still a horrible idea.

WWE took the worst parts of UFC to apply to their product.

Randy gets literally nothing out of that match except head trauma. Awful decision.

No blading. There are gifs out there with audio where you can hear an elbow pummel the shit out of Orton's skull

Randy gets literally nothing out of that match except head trauma. Awful decision.

I gotta admit, it made me uncomfortable, and I'm not sure if it's in the way they intended. But I was in my living room throwing up the X, getting worked. It would have been so much better if Randy never got an RKO in earlier in the match and just #outtanowhered Lesnar and Heyman after he got busted open.

imBask

Banned
No blading. There are gifs out there with audio where you can hear an elbow pummel the shit out of Orton's skull

The thing is, the way Lesnar kept attacking him while the doctors were in the ring seemed planned as hell, and I don't think 2016 Lesnar would've come up with that idea on the spot

Those elbows are a good way of cutting someone up the hard way without giving them a concussion or what have you. If that's what you're looking to day anyways. Same thing they did in that first match with Cena when Brock first came back from the UFC, only there they did it right at the start of the match.

I enjoyed the end of the match, but I eagerly *eagerly* await Brock's loss to... well if Finn really is injured, maybe no one soon. Joe would be a great person to transfer that heat onto though, no?

So yeah. Bring up Joe and have him beat Brock to be the new Brock.

The thing is, the way Lesnar kept attacking him while the doctors were in the ring seemed planned as hell, and I don't think 2016 Lesnar would've come up with that idea on the spot

Heyman was in his corner talking to him, may have told him what to do. Either way it was clear everyone (Brock, Heyman, the ref) was a bit concerned once they saw the amount of blood and the fact that Orton appeared to be halfway knocked out for a few seconds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So many complaints. Crazy to hear everyone upset about the belts. Making their branding consistent is important and is a long time coming.

Hasney

btw we now live in a world where the champs are Dean Ambrose and Demon "Demon King" King, this is kinda sad

That's not a bad thing. That's a good thing.

DDP%2BGood%2BThing.gif

Don't eat el diablo anything at a Mexican restaurant or your stomach will suffer the next day.

Nah, it wasn't suffering or anything. Just a healthy, albeit large, shit. Good times.

I was thinking about it and I think it would be a good idea to turn Finn heel and reunite with The Club. Seth Rollins is a perfect example showing that its possible for someone to sell merch and promote the company outside the WWE even when they're a heel.

Sweet! Its great to see Fish start to escape New Japan's juniors purgatory.

Holy Foley is awful, awful programming.

I had the first episode on in the background after SS and 90% of it was terrible. The part where Mick was telling his kid to not be a writer was good though. There are so many people who want to write that even really talented ones have to work their asses off. Its one of the hardest fields to be in.

Bert409

There were some great matches in there, but 4+ hours is just way too long. I got caught up with all the PPVs since Wrestlemania in the last couple weeks, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed all of them overall more than Summerslam. And I think that's largely due to them being tighter packages.

klonere

Banned
Why would you follow someone like that on Twitter, though?

Pretty fascinating if lurid look into that world.

btw we now live in a world where the champs are Dean Ambrose and Demon "Demon King" King, this is kinda sad

Dean and Dolph had one shot at redemption for me and decided to phone it in, fuck em.

Balor/Rollins was great so I'm happy enough still sticking through the thick and thin with Finn. Heh.

imBask

Banned
Dean and Dolph had one shot at redemption for me and decided to phone it in, fuck em.

Balor/Rollins was great so I'm happy enough still sticking through the thick and thin with Finn. Heh.

Agreed about Dean and Dolph, i'm especially mad at Ziggler... motherfucker you got every chance in the world and you keep blowing it, fire this moron

Balor Rollins was good, but was a victim of the 4h show and the weird ass match order

I'm not usually one to complain about how long PPVs go for (I usually just fast-foward junk I'm not interested in anyway) but even I was struggling by the end. It really is just too much.

I didn't like how Ambrose got to do a f**king taunt in between his one finisher for the win pin on Ziggler, poor Dolph, did they really need to make him look like even more of a jobber? :(

At least he won that KFC advert? lol. >_<

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Brock took very, very good care of Randy in this situation. Nothing to complain about. When you choose to open someone up hardway, you might get too much, you might get not enough. Brock took care of him.

Also I highly prefer Ziggler as Sanders. Easily.

Anth0ny

Who else woke up still pondering wtf that Lesnar/Orton ending was about?

pondering?

i was BUZZING about the live shooting I witnessed in a wrestling ring

the finish was supposed to be orton doing an RKO OUTTA NOWHERE reversal on an F5 with orton going over, guaranteed

instead, brock went into business for himself and ended that shit

klonere

Banned
Agreed about Dean and Dolph, i'm especially mad at Ziggler... motherfucker you got every chance in the world and you keep blowing it, fire this moron

Balor Rollins was good, but was a victim of the 4h show and the weird ass match order

In the good old days, Dean would have sandbagged to get Dolph away from his spot. Instead they just sanbagged because they are bad pro wrestlers.

Yeah so happy I didn't stay up to watch. Way way way way too long. But more = better right?

bjork

pondering?

the finish was supposed to be orton doing an RKO OUTTA NOWHERE reversal on an F5 with orton going over, guaranteed

yeah man, just like ended the streak because UT pissed him off

don't cross the brrrrrrrrrock

Hasney

pondering?

No, it was all planned. They worked it into a shoot and it was pretty dull as a result.

Or was it shooting into a work? Who knows.

I think that Bork/Orton ending did a good job of showing why the blading ban can actually be a good thing sometimes. Wouldn't have had the same impact if blading was as common as it was 10 years ago.

Lol @ people on Reddit thinking the elbows were a shoot, and that Shane's involvement was made up on the fly as a result.

Them Redditors are running wild, but it definitely seemed like Orton was sandbagging the suplexes. I noticed that during the match. It also seemed like there were more than a few no sells happening. I'm sure it was booked as a "let's do a UFC fight" and I'm not saying the ending was a shoot. Also didn't Orton get slammed through a table without the monitors being removed? I don't think that usually happens.

The whole thing might have been the greatest/dumbest work in a minute.

Mahonay

Banned
Lol @ people on Reddit thinking the elbows were a shoot, and that Shane's involvement was made up on the fly as a result.
I mean, the end did seem like an audible. The most obvious thing was Brock stalling for time after Randy was opened up. But that may have been it and Shane was always coming out at the end.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The ending to the show was pretty weak, not gonna lie.

It was another "Oh look, Brock is big and scary! omg he busted up Orton and won't stop beating him!"

Should've had Orton get a second win and put up another fight at least.

klonere

Banned
I think that Bork/Orton ending did a good job of showing why the blading ban can actually be a good thing sometimes. Wouldn't have had the same impact if blading was as common as it was 10 years ago.

Yeah they risk serious head trauma to get hardway blood? Then again, the whole thing was sponsored by a candy that I'm sure would be delighted to know about wrestlers slicing themselves open with razors.

Man I want blood :(

Hasney

The ending to the show was pretty weak, not gonna lie.

It was another "Oh look, Brock is big and scary! omg he busted up Orton and won't stop beating him!"

Should've had Orton get a second win and put up another fight at least.

Yeah, seems like those that enjoyed it are those that think Brock went into business for himself. I mean, being a work should be the default position before being proved otherwise. And that's a pipe bomb, friends.

Anth0ny

No, it was all planned. They worked it into a shoot and it was pretty dull as a result.

Or was it shooting into a work? Who knows.

"bust him open hardway and we stop the match" as a finish doesn't sound realistic at all to me for wwe in 2016. definitely against their "rules".

then again, brock is clearly above the rules...

Top Bottom