• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's almost September.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still waiting for a real citation or report, while it is likely true I'm holding out for a hero

jmdajr

Jake Roberts is in very bad shape right now. Amazing how cancer and all this bullshit happened after he finally decided to clean up his life.

Cancer can happen even to healthy people. And all he had was skin cancer which pretty much has nothing to do with substance abuse. Who knows if that spread to his brain or what, if this is even true.

edit: I'm off. Hopefully I can come back here and it's all lies.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Suzuki is so dope
1J0cyPL.jpg

WAN PEES

Ithil

I could have sworn one of our wrestling game streams had Malibu Kane years ago, long before Cheap Pops. Like the exact same gag.
It was a Kane battle royal, with 20 different Kanes.

strobogo

Banned
I could have sworn one of our wrestling game streams had Malibu Kane years ago, long before Cheap Pops. Like the exact same gag.
It was a Kane battle royal, with 20 different Kanes.

No surprise. WWE has been stealing from WrassleGAF for the last 2 years.

Omega

Banned
watched the 3 episodes of Monday Night War
only on the wwe network for only 9.99!
and what i get from this is that the North American wrestling scene would either be dead or shit were it not for Japan.

Recall

What I watched today: Toshiaki Kawada & Stan Hansen – The forgotten trilogy.

1) Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen (AJPW – Dated 06.04.1992)

2) Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen (AJPW – Dated 02.28.1993)

3) Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen (AJPW – Dated 04.03.1995. Triple Crown Championship Match)

People remember Kawada vs. Misawa, Kobashi, or teaming with Taue but rarely his matches against Hansen. There were blisteringly hot crowds and they brought such intensity and aggression to each fight, neither let up with their strikes and slams. A pairing that really let the other show their true colours and how can you not appreciate it when two wrestlers give it their all.

strobogo

Banned
and what i get from this is that the North American wrestling scene would either be dead or shit were it not for Japan.

And MMA would have never taken off. UWF might be the most influential promotion ever.

Gonzalez

Banned
I've learned that Daniel Bryan was around for 4 different network scrubbings. We've got...

- Bearded crew cut Daniel Bryan, wearing a polo shirt.
- Bearded crew cut Daniel Bryan, wearing a t-shirt.
- Bearded short shaggy hair cut Daniel Bryan.
- Bearded little bit longer shaggy hair Daniel Bryan.

Sometimes with all four appearing on the same show.

I'm not sure I see the issue with using interview clips from different interview sessions. If it's all related to the content at hand, it doesn't seem that relevant where the clips came from. Plus, it's well known that this series was originally planned to launch with the Network years ago, so that explains the different looks for guys like Bryan.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well Impact Viewership is in:

Up only 76,000 compared to last week. So the people are not coming back quickly right now.

Cops does more viewers then them.

Meltzer says it took them about two months to rebound last time they switched, so don't hold your breath waiting for the 0.8's until October.

DDP tweeted about the Jake thing. He's awake now but falling in and out of consciousness.

TMZ and PWInsider are now reporting it too.

WWE Hall of Famer Jake Roberts is currently hospitalized in an ICU unit of a Las Vegas hospital, PWInsider.com can confirm.
Roberts collapsed on a flight traveling to Vegas for an appearance for a show being promoted by Sinn "Kizarny" Bodhi this weekend and was removed from the flight via ambulance when it arrived in Vegas as the crew was unable to revive him.

Roberts had been very ill over the last week, believed to be double pneumonia but blew off going to the doctor before getting on his flight.

As of this writing, he has still yet to regain consciousness and is technically in a coma. Bodhi has been with Roberts at the hospital.

Ignoring symptoms is what killed Paul Bearer.

strobogo

Banned
I'm not sure I see the issue with using interview clips from different interview sessions. If it's all related to the content at hand, it doesn't seem that relevant where the clips came from. Plus, it's well known that this series was originally planned to launch with the Network years ago, so that explains the different looks for guys like Bryan.

My only issue is that so many of the interviews have been used in multiple DVDs, and on Countdown/WM Rewind. Almost none of the interviews are actually new. As far as I can tell from what has been shown so far, the only interviews done with in the last 2 years are Hall, Hogan, and Tony Schiavone. The rest are all 3-12 years old.

DDP tweeted about the Jake thing. He's awake now but falling in and out of consciousness.

That's terrible.

somedevil

Meltzer says it took them about two months to rebound last time they switched, so don't hold your breath waiting for the 0.8's until October.

Well right now they have 4 months left anyway. I find it funny by September 19 if they tape 2 shows a night they will have up to December 3 done. Then they only need 4 more dates than they are done for the year.

edit: Sucks for Jake. He got clean just for this to happen. Hope he recovers.

Man, Kizarny. I always forget about him. Weeks and weeks of vignettes, debuts, has one match, then he's fired the following week. One of the shortest "debut to fired" timelines in recent WWE history.

strobogo

Banned
Man, Kizarny. I always forget about him. Weeks and weeks of vignettes, debuts, has one match, then he's fired the following week. One of the shortest "debut to fired" timelines in recent WWE history.

There was that one guy that did a few weeks of promos and was going to challenge Taker, but he didn't even make it to one match before they fired him. Something with a V in his name.

Recall said:
People remember Kawada vs. Misawa, Kobashi, or teaming with Taue but rarely his matches against Hansen. There were blisteringly hot crowds and they brought such intensity and aggression to each fight, neither let up with their strikes and slams. A pairing that really let the other show their true colours and how can you not appreciate it when two wrestlers give it their all.

I think the Kawada vs Hansen series isn't remembered quite as much because when Kawada finally got his win over Stan it didn't matter as much to his career as it did to Misawa & Kobashi's. Misawa beating Hansen really put the finishing touches on him as the top guy in the company, while Kobashi defeating Hansen was the beginning of him as a main event player and earned him his first Triple Crown title shot. Kawada, however, picked up his win over Hansen in the '93 Champion Carnival but it was Hansen who ultimately won the tournament and Kawada's win was kind of forgotten. Also, while Kobashi & Misawa both overcome Hansen and were then able to, more often than not, put away the big man when they faced off afterwards, for Kawada it seemed Stan was a continual thorn in his side throughout his career and he never managed to defeat him when it mattered most, all his victories over Hansen coming in Champion Carnival tournaments.

Some amazing matches, though - I agree when you say it let both guys show their true colours, as Kawada was always at his best when working as the underdog, while Stan got to play the monster role he'd perfected so well in Japan, beating the piss out of Kawada and then selling big for him on his comebacks.

Mid-South Wrestling, February 2nd 1984
Shreveport, Louisiana, USA

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24sgf7

1. Crusher Darsow vs Tommy Heggie
2. Magnum T.A. & Mr. Wrestling II vs Jerry Grey & Tom Lintz
3. Jim Neidhart vs Larry Santana
4. Masao Ito vs Mike Jackson
5. Nikolai Volkoff vs Joe Savoldi
6. Mid-South TV Title Tournament - First Round: Buddy Landel vs Terry Taylor

Landel vs Taylor's worth a watch, plus Neidhart squishes some jobber with a lolwtf Samoan Drop and there's questionable music videos for Taylor & The Rock 'n' Roll Express.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Ditch Decades 9

This set includes:

• Andre The Giant vs Osamu Kido/Haruka Eigen NJPW 5/25/79
  • Akira Maeda vs Super Tiger UWF 9/11/84
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Ric Flair WAR 9/15/92
  • Steiner Brothers vs Kensuki Sasaki/Hiroshi Tanahashi NJPW 5/2/02
  • KENTA vs Yuji Nagata GHC Championship NOAH 12/7/13

ibz8W5mUVWjYCQ.gif

iew22AEWDuZnv.gif

idEcca5h3yxCh.gif

i30gUqVZpWAj8.gif

iJQuW4K3OU1yV.gif

I recommend Maeda/Tiger Mask and Tenryu/Flair. Maeda/TM is pretty much the top of mid 80s shoot style, which isn't really full on shoot style like you'd see in the 90s, but more of Inoki strong style but much stiffer. The two biggest UWF stars with two different styles, and they have something pretty rad to watch.

Tenryu/Flair is interesting. WAR/WWF cross promotion. Flair was WWF Champion and had wanted to do a match with Tenryu at Starrcade 1988. It's 2/3 falls and is Tenryu's longest match. Their styles are very different, but brings both guys out of their comfort zones a bit. Flair was far more snug and was doing a number of moves and counters that I'd never seen him do before or after. It completely fell apart in the last 5 minutes or so, but the 35 minutes before that were pretty rad. Probably the lost Flair gem of the 90s, since it was never seen outside of Japan. It's much more of a Flair match than Tenryu, but it isn't the rote Flair formula either.

Nagata/KENTA was extremely disappointing.

Steiners match was more enjoyable than I would have thought, mostly because baby Tanahashi got his ass kicked. And Chyna was the ref for some reason.

Bandini

Man, Vince really is shook over making Cena look weak at Summerslam. Just watched NXT and they replaced his scenes in the "don't try this at home" commercial with some other injured guy. Didn't look like they changed anything else.

Ultratech

lol

Man, I had forgotten about that dude.

I do remember the promos now that I saw that video, but I just never thought much of it.

Yeah, I remember the seemingly endless amounts of promos they had for him.

Then he finally debuts, has a match, and then he's gone.

Pretty bizarre.

Top Bottom