• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's almost September.

JavyOO7

CJ Parker is really coming into his own now. Has a fully developed and realized character, unlike Tyler Breeze. Nice finished.

I really wish I could find stills from Renee's appearance on ghe 8/7 episode of NXT. Incredible outfit. Jawdropping.

Might not be the 8/7 episode, but this is her interviewing Bayley and Charlotte on tonight's episode.

ed7d8666da.jpg

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Ditch Decades 9

This set includes:

• Andre The Giant vs Osamu Kido/Haruka Eigen NJPW 5/25/79
  • Akira Maeda vs Super Tiger UWF 9/11/84
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Ric Flair WAR 9/15/92
  • Steiner Brothers vs Kensuki Sasaki/Hiroshi Tanahashi NJPW 5/2/02
  • KENTA vs Yuji Nagata GHC Championship NOAH 12/7/13

ibz8W5mUVWjYCQ.gif

iew22AEWDuZnv.gif

idEcca5h3yxCh.gif

i30gUqVZpWAj8.gif

iJQuW4K3OU1yV.gif

I recommend Maeda/Tiger Mask and Tenryu/Flair. Maeda/TM is pretty much the top of mid 80s shoot style, which isn't really full on shoot style like you'd see in the 90s, but more of Inoki strong style but much stiffer. The two biggest UWF stars with two different styles, and they have something pretty rad to watch.

Tenryu/Flair is interesting. WAR/WWF cross promotion. Flair was WWF Champion and had wanted to do a match with Tenryu at Starrcade 1988. It's 2/3 falls and is Tenryu's longest match. Their styles are very different, but brings both guys out of their comfort zones a bit. Flair was far more snug and was doing a number of moves and counters that I'd never seen him do before or after. It completely fell apart in the last 5 minutes or so, but the 35 minutes before that were pretty rad. Probably the lost Flair gem of the 90s, since it was never seen outside of Japan. It's much more of a Flair match than Tenryu, but it isn't the rote Flair formula either.

Nagata/KENTA was extremely disappointing.

Steiners match was more enjoyable than I would have thought, mostly because baby Tanahashi got his ass kicked. And Chyna was the ref for some reason.

Surprisingly, the Nagata/Marufuji match was a lot better than the one with KENTA - I haven't really enjoyed his work since he became the top guy in NOAH, but the WWE style will provide the restraint he often lacked.

strobogo

Banned
Surprisingly, the Nagata/Marufuji match was a lot better than the one with KENTA - I haven't really enjoyed his work since he became the top guy in NOAH, but the WWE style will provide the restraint he often lacked.

I felt like the match being too restrained is what hurt it. That and the near silent crowd. But you'd expect those two to knock the shit out of each other and it really wasn't that kind of match. It was just...bland. The double stomp from the top into the crowd is a really stupid idea. Either you kill the dude, or hurt yourself not connecting. There is no good out come for that move.

iQgznldd4MAZC.gif

His knees are still feeling that.

Vylash

i...i think i miss brodus clay's music

this ain't no party

this ain't no club

this ain't no celebration

i'm out for blood

this ain't no party

this ain't no club

this ain't no celebration

i'm out for blood

tumblr_n401iyWZ731sg31w3o2_250.gif

strobogo

Banned
God damn the French dudes are some of the worst promos in the business. Especially the one who isn't 1999 Macho Man. What a marble mouthed mother fucker.

I still hate that they didn't let Ryback go for a midcard title first instead of Punk's belt. Fucking Punk!

Conspiracy time: Cena faked the elbow surgery to give Ryback the spotlight knowing full well it was too early and there was literally no one else besides Cena worthy enough to be in the title picture.

Then you have that Cena/Ryback feud that did jack shit for Ryback as well...

man fuck Cena, Ryback could've been a pillar for the company.

somedevil

People like Ryback now? I remember the good old days when people here hated him as a face and when he was a heel he got more hate for almost injuring Punk and Bryan for being sloppy in the ring.

Also some news from the Observer:

Lots of talk regarding the contracts offered by the El Rey Network for the Lucha Underground promotion. Several of the wrestlers offered contracts have contacted Andre Verdun, a San Diego lawyer, as a group, to represent them in negotiations. There was fear of a lot of wording in the contracts that are for seven seasons, and require the promotion to clear wrestlers for any dates outside of the promotion, as well as a long non-compete period. One person close to the situation told us that the contracts sent "are so laughable my pen ran out of red ink trying to redline it."

Jeeze good luck whoever signs for that show.

jred2k

People like Ryback now? I remember the good old days when people here hated him as a face and when he was a heel he got more hate for almost injuring Punk and Bryan for being sloppy in the ring.

When he isn't asked to carry a main event singles match he's a very serviceable character. He started to show some improvement on the character side when he became Rybully and he's a good member of a tag team. It's a combination of him getting better the company figuring how to better use him.

Besides, 2014 Ryback is Roman Reigns and people do dislike him because he's overexposed and in a position he doesn't have the ability for right now.

Gonzalez

Banned
I'm not sure I see the issue with using interview clips from different interview sessions. If it's all related to the content at hand, it doesn't seem that relevant where the clips came from. Plus, it's well known that this series was originally planned to launch with the Network years ago, so that explains the different looks for guys like Bryan.
Outside of making it look like it has the same continuity errors of Samurai Cop, you're right it's no big deal that they used multiple interviews for this. The real problem is that they have all those interviews filmed, and they add absolutely nothing to the program. It's just a bunch of random soundbites filled with buzzwords, and politically correct answers that you can spot a mile away. I personally wouldn't have minded if they scrapped this version of the program, aired the Nitro episode, and waited until they had a much more adequate budget(although this was made when they weren't suffering from budget cuts) to create a more detailed rundown with recent interviews of all the main players in the "Monday Night War" giving new juicier stories. Like I wouldn't mind knowing what the thought process of whoever booked the insane John Nord Vs. Barbarian match.

jred2k

They had a few matches, I think.

iinhPMFsqrj2S.gif

This was from the gauntlet match on Raw last year that had the awesome Bryan/Cesaro middle section. It could have ended up a lot worse than it did. And that was like two weeks before Summer Slam so an injury would have fucked up the main event.

I like Ryback where he is now, but he was sloppy as a singles guy.

strobogo

Banned
Bull looks, and sounds like Mike, from Mike & Molly.

You guys are right. He's fucked when Steen debuts.

He's already fucked. I can't help but think they only reason he's being put into a program with Mojo is because they know the NXT crowd will cheer him over Mojo and he'll be over for beating him up.

somedevil

That bump Bryan took from Ryback probably didn't help his neck injury.

Plus here is the final Card for the NXT Pay per view on Sept 11:

1 The Ascension (Konnor and Viktor) (c) vs. Kalisto and Sin Cara Tag team match for the NXT Tag Team Championship
2 Charlotte (c) vs. Bayley Singles match for the NXT Women's Championship
3 Adrian Neville (c) vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd Fatal 4-Way match for the NXT Championship
4 Enzo Amore vs. Sylvester Lefort Hair vs. Hair match
5 Bull Dempsey vs. Mojo Rawley

edit: I wonder if they will replace
Sin Cara with Solomon Crowe since he is now tagging with Kalisto on the nxt house shows

I wish I had the stamina to call out bigots whenever they surface on GAF. I feel guilty for stepping away to regain my strength before diving back in, because it's a luxury women and minorities don't have.

And yeah... poor Bull and his ugly greasy hair.

strobogo

Banned
I wish I had the stamina to call out bigots whenever they surface on GAF. I feel guilty for stepping away to regain my strength before diving back in, because it's a luxury women and minorities don't have.

And yeah... poor Bull and his ugly greasy hair.

And fat, pasty body. And lame as fuck finish. How can you push a guy like that when you A. Have Steen coming in, and B. Have Rusev on the main roster

Jaysus seeing Sunny now compared to what she looks like in the Monday Night Wars interview....depressing.

Jay Hunter is right. She needs a hug and a cup of tea.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kayfabe is so strong in Russia that Lana and Rusev don't even know it is a work. It's the last bastion for kayfabe.

Just like all those "off duty" soldiers who just happen to be vacationing in the Ukraine right now.. Kayfabe is real in Russia, maggle!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Every time Michael Hayes wrestled Kerry, you think Hayes realized what a fat, lazy slob he looked like in comparison? That man's body was shit his entire career. And that's in the territory days, when you didn't even have to look that good.

Every time Michael Hayes wrestled Kerry, you think Hayes realized what a fat, lazy slob he looked like in comparison? That man's body was shit his entire career. And that's in the territory days, when you didn't even have to look that good.

The fuck are you seeing?! They call him Purely Sexy for a reason babay

offthestreets.png

Anyone here listen to The Attitude Era podcasts? The Wrestlemania 2000 episode just got released.

I like to pretend this is hosted by Chris O'Dowd of IT Crowd and it makes it all the more enjoyable.

ibbIyoEMEtsBcb.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I listen to all of the OSW spinoffy type shows. Attitude era is probably the best of them. New Generation Project Podcast is pretty good too and someone else started up an NWO era WCW one.

EDIT: Did you say Wrestlemania 2000? Is there a gif that explains the main event of that show?

Top Bottom