• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's almost September.

There's probably a good half-dozen or so heavyweight New Japan matches from the 90's I'd give the full ***** too - Mutoh vs Chono in the first G1 final, for one. Inoki vs Vader. Hash vs Tenryu. Also, New Japan couldn't catch a break with Meltzer, even with tag wrestling - Mutoh & Chono vs Hase & Sasaki is up there with the best of the decade, imo, and I freaking LOVE 90's AJPW tag wrestling. Holy Demon Army and Miracle Violence Connection were the shit.

strobogo

Banned
There's probably a good half-dozen or so heavyweight New Japan matches from the 90's I'd give the full ***** too - Mutoh vs Chono in the first G1 final, for one. Inoki vs Vader. Hash vs Tenryu. Also, New Japan couldn't catch a break with Meltzer, even with tag wrestling - Mutoh & Chono vs Hase & Sasaki is up there with the best of the decade, imo, and I freaking LOVE 90's AJPW tag wrestling. Holy Demon Army and Miracle Violence Connection were the shit.

I never really thought much of Chono, but the Muta/Chono match I watched was great. Hashimoto is great, but his matches were so inconsistent.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think it's that ridiculous of an idea to think that Meltzer was an unapologetic Misawa and Toyota mark in the 80s and 90s. I mean, some of the 6 mans he gave 5 stars to did not deserve it, but if he saw either's name on the card, he went into it with 'This is gonna be great' on his mind, and so he always did that.

I don't know if it was to give exposure to them or what. I doubt it considering how microscopic American/Euro fanbases were to Japanese wrestlers at that point. Like I know Muta did all that later WCW stuff simply because he's a huge American culture fan. Not because he thought it was a great business decision.

I have some thoughts I'd like to express regarding Aiii's road rage incident:

-Never hit your brakes when someone is following too closely. If you have to do something, dispense some windshield wiper fluid, which because of the speed will sail over your car and onto the windshield of the car behind you. Even that is pretty dumb, though. Real life isn't Mario Kart, perro.

-Just ignore them. Stop looking in your rear view mirrors. There is nothing they can do except pass you or bump into your car, in the latter case, you can take down their license plate number and call the cops.

-While reading your post, I got to wondering what Dutch expletives sound like. In my mind, you sounded like an Adolf Hitler speech.

-I read that you've never thrown a punch in your life so I'd like to give you some quick pointers on proper punch technique:

1. Cock your wrist like it's a pump-action shotgun
  2. drive your fist into the ground in front of you to charge up your punch
  3. Leap in the air
  4. While in the air, your right arm should be bent and drawn back behind your head while your left leg is extended forward
  5. At the point of contact, push your fist forward into their face while simultaneously drawing your left leg back.

I hope this helps.

strobogo

Banned
Guys, it's okay. Those Nitros will be up and easily found in the next couple of days. I would imagine they'd go up on Monday.

Welcome back, Bean Breath. What deck are you playing with right now? I'm glad you shared your wisdom with Aiii. He needed it.

bean breath is a good man

jericho-wyatts-battlek5se7.gif

yooooooo

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since you guys were talking about Jumbo the other day
jumbolyshiw7sib.gif

I don't think I ever posted these. Jumbo and Quake teamed up before Quake was Quake, and Jumbo helped train Quake. Apparently they were pretty close irl too going by Quake's book.

Guys, it's okay. Those Nitros will be up and easily found in the next couple of days. I would imagine they'd go up on Monday.

Welcome back, Bean Breath. What deck are you playing with right now? I'm glad you shared your wisdom with Aiii. He needed it.

I won a pair of Ultra Rare Jack Swagger cards in a King of the Ring tournament but I haven't touched the game since because he let the damn flag touch the ground.

AJPW Summer Impact. Rafa is right, AJPW is the future without those lucrative Americans and Euros's. Besides, anything that aligns with Jeff Jarrett is destined to crash and burn.

God damn AJPW has some ugly young lions. These vanilla dudes are gonna wrestle. I'm bored already. I'm like Bret Hart at any modern WWE event. I googled one of these dudes in the match and fucking NOTHING came up. This is the caliber of an AJPW star. One guy's a 'veteran' and used to be in NOAH, so I guess that's who's doing the job to this young 'cool guy' who is most likely a heel. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the 'both guys get to their feet at the same time for cheap applause spot' because I really fucking do. It's so played out, and they do it here too. AJPW should just book Fujita. I wish Fujita was here in all his handsome glory. Wrestler 1 and Wrestler 2 do strike trade-offs because this is Japan. The crowd is so bored. I am so bored. I can't put into words how bored this crowd is. Like.. X-Pac vs Justin Credible bored. This young lion looks like he's ripping off SUWA's tights. He's got no future, brother. NOAH reject keeps beating up 'young lion.' No one cares. These guys have shitty quality tights. I'm nitpicking at this point because there is NOTHING interesting going on in this match, and it is taking forever. There's a cute girl in the front row in a white t-shirt. These are the things you notice when you're that bored.

Yohei finally gets to do some moves. He does a decent headscissors takedown, he does a over the top rope splash then he runs in and does a suicide dive. I always hate that. One dive to the outside is enough. Also, there's so litle room on the outside between the ring and the rails that I would never do a dive to the outside. Too easy to Benoit yourself. There's a brainbuster into a german spot that's kinda sloppy but looks ok. Too bad it 's ruined by the Japanese lack of selling of german suplexes. There's way too many near falls for a match that NOBODY cares about. Thank Baba, the match is over.

Highlight: That cute fan
sushih1s9o.jpg

Masanobu Fuchi & Soma Takao vs. Masao Inoue & SUSHI
dude's name is Sushi. He has sushi on his head. His music is so stereotypical. I love him already.
sushijrs3xsle.jpg

OH MY GOD LITTLE SUSHIS. Is this guy now the hottest thing in AJPW? Sushi would kick the shit out of Captain New Japan, bros. THIS DUDE IS COMING OUT TO DANGER ZONE OH MY GOD. Oh shit, it's Soma Takao from DDT. He looks like Yosuke from Persona 4 irl. He's tagging with old man Fuchi. Remember him? He's from that era of AJPW where Meltzer was a complete mark and overrated everything they ever did. Soma's sweet though, I'm a big fan. His knockoff Boma Ye is fucking great. Masa Inoue comes out and like nobody cares.

The start of the match is Soma vs Sushi and both guys keep trying to get cheap pops from the audience. It's great.
somakipup14s00.gif

Soma is over with the crowd. They strike off then Soma stomps on Sushi's foot then he SUPER sutmps on Sushi's foot. Sushi nails Soma with a beauty of a wheelbarrow kind of kick. Sushi looks like if Curryman and Mushiking Terry fusioned. But Mushiking Terry is in the next match. We'll get to that. Inoue gets tagged in and stomps on Soma's foot to return the favor. Soma sells it like crazy and pushes Inoue away like 'back off dude that hurts for real.' This match is really endearing me to Soma. The ref tries to pull Inoue away from Soma because he thinks it might be cheap to keep stomping on his foot. In the mix-up, the 'injured' Some runs over real quick and stomps on Inoues foot. It's awesome. Inoue starts repeatedly stepping on Soma's foot. The monster. I don't know if Soma is a heel, face, or goofball heel.
sowakickso1s29.gif

Soma tags in Fuchi. Fuchi does a right proper stalling body slam on a 234 lb man. 60 YEARS OLD. Eat shit, Kane. This warrants a Fuchi chant from the crowd. BY GOD HE DOES ANOTHER ONE! 60 YEARS OLD Fuchi slams him after the extended stall and even walks it off like 'pft that's nothing.' He takes a breather. You watch his face, and you can tell he's loving this. It's pretty heartwarming. FUCHI WITH THE ONE LEGGED DROPKICK! He tries it on Sushi, Sushi holds onto the ropes and holy hell, Sushi gets mega heat for not letting Fuchi dropkick him. I want a Sushi mask. My boy, Soma Takao, gets tagged back in.

Soma reverses an enzuigiri from Sushi with his own kick and slaps the mess out of his leg. It's so loud. Fuchi nails Sushi with Soma's tub from behind. Sushi does this weird selling, like he can't accept his shame, so he tags Inoeu back in. Soma tags in Fuchi who has to take a breather before he comes through the ropes because he's old. Inoeu has Fuchi on the ground, and he's winding up his arm for the lariat. Fuchi takes so long to get up(because he's old) that Inoeu blows out his arm from winding it up. Inside cradle, Fuchi gets the roll-up victory, but they play Soma's theme because DANGER ZONE.

This was a really fun match that played to everybody's strengths. Highly entertaining, and everyone looked good. Exactly how you book a tag match with no major blood feuds in them involving a character named after food.
Highlight: Soma. Sushi was pretty great too, but Soma was amazing.

Nowhere near done. 6 matches to go! May try to size them up better to get them all in the last post. I'm really looking forward to a few of them though even if AJPW is real 'state of your fucking roster, mate.'

How you watching this?

I recommend the Batista episodes of Talk Is Jericho. He truly embodies the Fun & Playful lifestyle. Even though I wasn't watching wrestling during the majority of his run and haven't seen any of his movies, I still found it very enjoyable. Listening to these two podcasts will make you think twice about Sunflower's questionable preference in wrasslers. Here's a pro-tip: skip forward 15 minutes in each episode to skip Jericho's B.S. and get straight to the Bateaster.

strobogo

Banned
Perm apparently. I don't think I have much, or any pull, but I'm going to fight for our dear leader. He fought for me and I'll fight for him.

Gonzalez

Banned
I'm calling for more wrestling threads in the OT, preferably threads where Bossman, Zeb Colter, and The Patriot are the main subject.

strobogo

Banned
The bannings in OT seem completely random. Go to any political thread in OT (not Community) and you'll see 20 posts that are more ban worthy than what Sunny said. Shit is ridiculous. One of the mods has a hard on for the MCU. I mean, I've enjoyed all the movies besides Thor 2, but god damn.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
And this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127672290&postcount=300

Yeah these gimmicks really don't come across well in non-wrasslin threads.
All I ever think of when I see someone say that is this.

standdown2.jpg

But yeah, he really shouldn't have gone there.

The bannings in OT seem completely random. Go to any political thread in OT (not Community) and you'll see 20 posts that are more ban worthy than what Sunny said. Shit is ridiculous. One of the mods has a hard on for the MCU. I mean, I've enjoyed all the movies besides Thor 2, but god damn.
I'll be honest, the only Marvel movies I find truly great are Iron Man and Captain America: TFA. Avengers is average at best.

Ironically, banning could use some moderation

Heel

Mark Frenlen from Wrestling 25/8 is reporting that was the blow off for Sunflower's planned hiatus to recuperate from lingering forum posting carpal tunnel. Likely to be back in late 2014, repackaged with a new gimmick. Keep an eye on the rafters.

Top Bottom