• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

From here on out there won't be any more yearly titles, which sucks as you lose 2 PS3, 2 Vita and 1 PS4 game per year BUT in return there will be an extra PS4 game very month. So win for PS4 owners but loss for PS3/Vita only PS+ers.

I R confused. If you've already downloaded the yearly games on PS+, you won't get to keep them?

Jintor

Wii U bundle

Wiiii Uuuuuuuuuuu bunnnnnnndleeeeeeeeeeeeee

*hand hovers over wallet*

God damnit if this isn't among the dumbest impulse buys I'll ever make

Wii U bundle

tumblr_mzjuxjKRfs1qzp9weo1_500.gif

Darren870

When I started my first office job the company set up my Super for me since I didn't have one previously. Most places do the same.

I recommend SunSuper because they have had a good track record of growth with me and a good life insurance policy as part of the package.
Don't tell the wife I'm worth more dead than alive

Hmm I'll check them out, what about ING and MLC? Was looking at them too.

Also, I need to get private health insurance for tax benefits right? Anyone have any recommendations?

Gazunta

Also, I need to get private health insurance for tax benefits right? Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm sure they're fine. My general rule of thumb with super / insurance / anything grown up like that is that the less amount of TV advertising they do, they better they perform*

No idea about private health insurance policy sorry. Cancelled mine years ago since I will never, ever get sick and nothing bad will ever happen to me**

* I AM NOT A FINANCIAL ADVISOR, I OWN SIX COMMODORE 64s SO AM CLEARLY NOT TO BE TRUSTED WITH MONEY

** My hobbies include drawing comics, playing video games and stupidly tempting fate in foolish ways

No specific provider recommendations (go through iSelect or something to compare service and prices), but I do recommend working out what the difference is between going for a low premium / high excess and high premium / low excess option. Chances are, even with a hospital visit, you'll be paying less with the former.

But it does depend on your cash flow situation. If you're not the kind of person who has $500 available to you immediately, high excess may add to your stress levels.

Jintor

Here's some shit I should've compulsorarily learned in high school:

Superannuation
Insurance
Employee Rights and Law in general
Taxes

Darren870

No specific provider recommendations (go through iSelect or something to compare service and prices), but I do recommend working out what the difference is between going for a low premium / high excess and high premium / low excess option. Chances are, even with a hospital visit, you'll be paying less with the former.

But it does depend on your cash flow situation. If you're not the kind of person who has $500 available to you immediately, high excess may add to your stress levels.

Well I'm only 28, so I doubt anything is going to happen to me (knock on wood). It's my understanding that I get taxed heavily if I dont have it.

I'll check out iselect though, thanks for that.

Excess is what you have to pay when you make a claim.

I.e. If us you prang your car and your policy has a 500 dollar excess, you have to pay the first 500 dollars and the insurance will pay the rest.

Health insurance is kinda like that except there's excess and occasionally a gap. You'd pay the excess for a hospital stay but if you had surgery, there may be additional fees, the gap between the cost of treatment and what the health fund pays for. You can lower the excess but you will have a higher premium. Or pay a lower premium by agreeing to a higher excess.

jambo

I moved to Australia about 2 months ago and just got my first job 2 weeks back (i have since quit but that's a diff story).

So yea, no super! Have one in the US and UK though! :D

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense.

Are you going to transfer your super stuff from the overseas ones?

...Can you even do that?

Darren870

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense.

Are you going to transfer your super stuff from the overseas ones?

...Can you even do that?

Nope! Well I know I cant transfer UK to US and vice versa. I'm sure AUS is the same, but I haven't looked into it. Looks like ill have a few when I retire...not too excited about that honestly.

Though if I'm in Australia when I retire, least I can take from my overseas supers rather then working till I'm 90.... ;D

hamchan

How is it?

I got blue shelled on my first race.
100cc feels pretty slow.
I got blue shelled on my second race and nearly lost.
Game is beautiful, best looking game on the Wii U so far.

Also people in the OT saying that the game is mainly skill based are wrong. You can still get fucked over and drop from 1st to 5th through no fault of your own. Basically the game is still Mario Kart.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Superannuation
Insurance
Taxes

WRONG.

Highschool should teach you the tools you can use to understand and work out these concepts on your own.

concepts that are fucking simple to work out.

100cc feels pretty slow.

Also people in the OT saying that the game is mainly skill based are wrong. You can still get fucked over and drop from 1st to 5th through no fault of your own. Basically the game is still Mario Kart.

nooooo

;_; only 6 more hours + download.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It should do that

and it should ALSO TEACH YOU THOSE THINGS

waste of resources.

those are things my kid can learn on his own without a teacher.

i'd rather a teacher be teaching him / her further basics of physics / maths.

also, OCTOPUS DEALZ

batman games are all 75% off on the wii u
so batman lego 2
batman arkham whatevers (2 of them)
injustice (the dc fighting game)
and something else

Dimefan3

The latest Telstra Broadband commercial is cracking me up at the moment.

"Extend your monthly data limit 3 times a year."

...or I could just get unlimited data with another service provider and NOT pay your ridiculous charges.

Jintor

waste of resources.

those are things my kid can learn on his own without a teacher.

i'd rather a teacher be teaching him / her further basics of physics / maths.

I'm cool with the sciences, but I have a feeling I'm never, ever going to use or even remember 80% of what I learned in maths

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Superannuation
Insurance
Taxes

I reckon schools definitely need to have more of a focus on home economics and nutrition to be honest. On both a primary and secondary level.

Danoss

Teaching critical thinking in schools is one of the best possible additions I can think of. It benefits the individual and society as a whole.

Also, maths has proved far more useful outside of school than I ever thought it would be. Algebra has been incredibly handy, as has trigonometry. They're probably the areas that copped the most criticism at the time too. SOHCAHTOA!

Jintor

I'm not arguing against critical thinking skills being taught. But from my school experience, civics (law + civic engagement) and personal finances (insurance / tax etc) were either optional subjects or completely off the table.

magenta

I'm not arguing against critical thinking skills being taught. But from my school experience, civics (law + civic engagement) and personal finances (insurance / tax etc) were either optional subjects or completely off the table.

You learn how to calculate your own personal taxes in Maths.

Nope! Well I know I cant transfer UK to US and vice versa.
I have a feeling in Australia if you leave and claim you're never going to return, you can get access to all your super. I'd look into it, as having one will mean fewer fees.

Teach me your mystical ways, oh maths wizard, because school sure as fuck didn't
I had trouble today trying to figure out how much CO2 by volume is dissolved into beer after fermentation at different temperature, partly because it's actually hard to find reliable information to calculate this for a simpleton and partly because I am a simpleton.

Kids these days getting out of school/in school have no fucking idea how to function in the real world. It's just push em out into society and hope they don't fucking murder and pillage every last motherfucking one of you.

Teach them not to be fucking cunts, please, for fucks sake.

Biting my nails for a broken street date
Kmart broke at a few stores, got hit with $7000 fines each.

Them ninjas fuck you up royally.

I R confused. If you've already downloaded the yearly games on PS+, you won't get to keep them?
Previous games are fine. The structure moving forward has changed. Rather than have one or two games up for a whole year to "purchase" they got rid of that idea in favour of giving out 11 more PS4 games a year!

So big win if you have a PS4 (and don't buy many games).

Wii U bundle

Eh, you'll get 6 or 7 games for it. Like every Nintendo console since the 64.

100cc feels pretty slow.

Sure sounds like Mario Kart. Also, Battle Mode is still fucked apparently. Still worth picking up I guess.

WRONG.

Highschool should teach you the tools you can use to understand and work out these concepts on your own.

concepts that are fucking simple to work out.
You've seemed a bit angry lately Holy. Mellow out dude!

Jintor

You learn how to calculate your own personal taxes in Maths.

You learn a bunch of theory nobody bothers to connect to anything real. Dad had to teach me how (basic) taxation worked. Which is fine and all, but not everybody has someone willing to sit down with them and work through it all and connect all the stuff you learned to things that will actually affect your life, or is going to go look up the ATO stuff and work it out for themselves without some major prodding.

On the non-maths side of things, I reckon everyone should probably at least learn how the local justice system functions and probably at a minimum general employee/employer responsibility/workplace relations law to ensure you can't get supremely fucked over by High Schooler's First Legit Employer.

Deeku

i'm just glad i can pay a person not that much to do my tax crap. and also having my employer deal with super/insurance/whatever else there is. i'd be totally lost if i were out on my own lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom