• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Fair enough. All I'll say is that whilst I dislike default autorenewing, I don't think the disabling is especially hard to find in Sonys case.

Speaking of which...that reminds me I need to disable the autorenew in my Crunchyroll sub. Now maybe I did enable it, but new the new payment go through a few days ago did surprise me.

Well I have no fucking idea because kids can't explain why their panties are in a bunch. But an auto renew should never be on as the default setting. Ever. Any auto charge to a card should be opt in instead of opt out. Always.

Dryk

Fucking gaming forum is getting even more shithouse these days. Ask questions, get accused of attacking Sony. Never mind I have only ever owned 2 non Sony consoles. And one of those is a Sega, the other a N64. But yeah, I'm a fanboy attacking Sony.

Awesome.

Guess that's the last time I post there for a while.
I've been posting here for probably a year now and I'm still not used to how different the culture is from forum to forum and even thread to thread in some cases

Jintor

Well I have no fucking idea because kids can't explain why their panties are in a bunch. But an auto renew should never be on as the default setting. Ever. Any auto charge to a card should be opt in instead of opt out. Always.

pretty much every service i've signed up to has been auto-renew and often they don't even bother telling you, and when you try and cancel, never make it clear if they just straight up sever your service or wait until your sub dries up. (It's always the latter but they try and imply it's the former)

Quasar

True. Especially when you could have multiple things that renew. I'd like to be able to choose seperately for each item at time of purchase, rather than perhaps choose once which then means everything in the future is autorenewed by default.

It is sucky, but pretty much every subscription service does that. I'm not really sure why there isn't more upset. Its like all those shitty installers that install adware programs if you don't go through and select no as you go.

Dead Man

pretty much every service i've signed up to has been auto-renew and often they don't even bother telling you, and when you try and cancel, never make it clear if they just straight up sever your service or wait until your sub dries up. (It's always the latter but they try and imply it's the former)

Not singling you out Jintor, but this is very much like the incredibly unhelpful posts in the thread. I know that. I wanted to know the details of the system Sony uses. Nobody seemed to want to explain the actual details and what information is presented when to users.

The situation in that thread is not just signing up with a credit card either. It is signing up with a psn card and then making a purchase with a credit card that is then used to auto renew the + subscription.

But I don't want to get into it an more, unless someone can actually provide the breakdown of warning and messages I am invoking Jintors law :)

True. Especially when you could have multiple things that renew. I'd like to be able to choose seperately for each item at time of purchase, rather than perhaps choose once which then means everything in the future is autorenewed by default.

It is sucky, but pretty much every subscription service does that. I'm not really sure why there isn't more upset. Its like all those shitty installers that install adware programs if you don't go through and select no as you go.

Indeed.

jambo

The worst one I ever had was XBLive Gold on the 360.

If you used your card to renew, it would auto renew, which sucks, but it at least told you.

The shit part was that for most regions you just had to go to the xbox.com website and you could disable it. For some reason though, most Australians didn't have that option and had to call up.

When I called I think I was put through to about 3-4 different departments and spent a total of about 25 minutes on hold. Then when I got on to the right person they were really adamant about me staying on and the value in the gold membership.

What a bunch of bastards.

Quasar

If you used your card to renew, it would auto renew, which sucks, but it at least told you.

The shit part was that for most regions you just had to go to the xbox.com website and you could disable it. For some reason though, most Australians didn't have that option and had to call up.

Yeah. I got stuck in that. In the mean time with the Sony hack I cancelled my credit card to be safe so all MS had was a cancelled credit card.

Jintor

Not singling you out Jintor, but this is very much like the incredibly unhelpful posts in the thread. I know that. I wanted to know the details of the system Sony uses. Nobody seemed to want to explain the actual details and what information is presented when to users.

The situation in that thread is not just signing up with a credit card either. It is signing up with a psn card and then making a purchase with a credit card that is then used to auto renew the + subscription.

But I don't want to get into it an more, unless someone can actually provide the breakdown of warning and messages I am invoking Jintors law :)

I was just trying to commiserate :(

Still no package.

9 business days from when I paid, 5 business days from when they said they'd posted it.

Melbourne > Hobart. I could have walked that distance by now.

I'm fine with auto-renew being enabled initially for subscription based stuff, the purpose is for an ongoing service (access to games) not a one off purchase (buy DLC or download free game license for life).
Subjective though, of course.

jambo

Still no package.

9 business days from when I paid, 5 business days from when they said they'd posted it.

So what are we betting on for the outcome of this?

Box full of bricks or no box at all?

I'm fine with auto-renew being enabled initially for subscription based stuff, the purpose is for an ongoing service (access to games) not a one off purchase (buy DLC or download free game license for life).
Subjective though, of course.

Do you like it when software installers has checkboxes for search toolbars ticked by default?

Rizzi

I've now got a 770 humming away in my pc.
And a new power supply. Also a new case.

Divinity still seems to run like shit though, so woo.

When I called I think I was put through to about 3-4 different departments and spent a total of about 25 minutes on hold. Then when I got on to the right person they were really adamant about me staying on and the value in the gold membership.

What a bunch of bastards.

Any idea what the reason most Australians didn't have the option instead of all Australians? I did have the option and now I'm curious whyyy.

Like? No.
Fine with? Yes!

Can't trick me Jambo!

Well now with the semantics game out of the way, to me that begs the question why are you fine with it? It seems like a pretty crummy practice that like auto-renew hurts the less eagle-eyed amongst us or the inexperienced.

Any idea what the reason most Australians didn't have the option instead of all Australians? I did have the option and now I'm curious whyyy.
They brought in the ability to remove your cc details on your Xbox.com webpage in around 2010-11. Before then you had to call up (and try to deal with uncooperative callcentre workers >_<)

(this is AU region I'm talking about, US always had the webpage option during last gen pretty sure)

Well now with the semantics game out of the way, to me that begs the question why are you fine with it? It seems like a pretty crummy practice that like auto-renew hurts the less eagle-eyed amongst us or the inexperienced.

Why wouldn't I be fine with it? It's similar to promoted tweets/facebookbullshit.
Even easier is that it happens during an install process where you are actively working out what you do and don't need to install/click.
It's also straight forward to opt-out of (uninstall) if you do for some odd reason decide to just hit yes/next without glancing at your screen.

Although it's an apples/oranges comparison to PS+ opt-in in any case.

Kritz

Banned
Finally got around to adding a real forum to my site. phpBB's pretty easy to get up and running, although it's going to take some effort if I want to join my existing user database with the forums. Maybe it's best just to let people link their profiles?

The downside is that my site now has about 10,000 registered users... and four users registered to the new forums.

Tommy DJ

Still no package.

So there's no tracking number? Its been 10 days, I'd contact the seller and if he's unresponsive, just open a dispute through eBay (you did buy it from eBay yeah?). eBay is shit for sellers most of the time so chances are that you can probably get a refund or get the guy to hurry up and post the damned thing.

If there's a tracking number, I'd yell at Australia Post or whichever company he picked. For a frame of reference, when I chose the cheapest parcel option at Australia Post, it took them around 15 days to send a stereo amplifier from Melbourne CBD to Hobart. Why it took them so long, I dunno but all I know is that B&H in New York can send me something is a third of the time.

So there's no tracking number? Its been 10 days, I'd contact the seller and if he's unresponsive, just open a dispute through eBay (you did buy it from eBay yeah?). eBay is shit for sellers most of the time so chances are that you can probably get a refund or get the guy to hurry up and post the damned thing.

I've only just sent them a message about it tonight.

jambo

AusPost changed the way postage works recently.

Normal stuff now takes 2-3 days longer than it used to. Hopefully that's all this is.

Cerity

AusPost have shifted most of their delivery/transport to star track now, who manage to be worse than whoever AusPost had doing it before. I wasn't home for a package signing and they decided that after the courier had dropped the package off at my LPO, they'd move it to a post office a few suburbs over.

Had a chat to the ladies at my lpo and they've been in up to their necks with the new handling apparently.

Quasar

Oh crap.

There's an updated Age of Mythology. AKA Quasars favourite Age of game.

Dunno how I missed hearing about it being released.

Jintor

AusPost have shifted most of their delivery/transport to star track now, who manage to be worse than whoever AusPost had doing it before. I wasn't home for a package signing and they decided that after the courier had dropped the package off at my LPO, they'd move it to a post office a few suburbs over.

Had a chat to the ladies at my lpo and they've been in up to their necks with the new handling apparently.

oh, wonderful.

have they moved to 3 day delivery yet?

jambo

We had a delivery earlier this week that was left on our outdoor setting just outside the back door.

The only way to get there is via the side gate. What if we had dogs and the guy just opened the gate? Dogs attack him, dogs run away. Seemed pretty bad.

Yrael

AusPost changed the way postage works recently.

Normal stuff now takes 2-3 days longer than it used to. Hopefully that's all this is.

Oh damn, when did this happen? I'll have to keep this in mind in future.

I'm actually starting to enjoy dota, slippery slope.

Got my tap king last night, thanks rep. Fancy packaging, didn't buy any beer as it was too expensive. Will wait for a sale.

Gazunta

Speaking of Australia post, someone ordered a copy of Super Blow The Cartridge the other day so I mailed it off yesterday along with some other books. It usually costs $5 to post it off but since the package weighed 514 grams (as opposed to the usual 380) it cost me $15.

What the fuck Australia Post, what the actual FUCK. :/

Get your copy of Super Blow The Cartridge available now!

Rizzi

Should my next upgrade for my pc be a new cpu, or should I hold off and buy a new motherboard and a new cpu?
The i7 4820K is pretty tempting.

Shaneus

I think if I decide to buy an iPhone 5/5S (or 6?) it will be solely because of this:
tumblr_n83cqyboz91qzp9weo2_500.jpg

Is there a date for the iPhone 6 launch?

Rizzi

Divinity running like shit was really pissing me off, so I figured I'd get around to playing Witcher 2.
I can finally run it on max and stay at 55-60 fps. I am so happy.

Darren870

The post system here is kind of a joke, sorry.

I've had a few letters forwarded and shipped from Brisbane to Melbourne and none have gone.

They deliver to the wrong address for the few bits of mail that comes. I've had neighbors hand me things that were addressed to 154, yet delivered to 162. These were typed out, not written.

I'm still waiting on letters from over a month ago, I've just assumed they are lost and have other shipped out.

Plus its expensive!

Hopefully the xbox comes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom