• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Optus isn't working for overseas websites in lots of areas, with time it will be fixed 'TBA'.
Grump grump Grump. I am on my phone's internet now.

Since there seemed to be a power surge last night, I thought for half the day it was a problem on my end and was confused.

Fredescu

If it's only 8 months old you should be able to claim warranty, receipt or not.

Chuck the serial number in here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/product-service/warranty-status/default.page

As long as it was built in the last 12 months, you should be easily able to make a warranty claim via the manufacturer.

If it shows up as out of warranty there, maybe it was sitting on the shelf at the retailer for a while, find some bank statements that show where you paid for it. Take the statement and the laptop to the retailer.

By law the warranty has to be covered for 12 months (and you could claim longer if you wanted too, see http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/broken-but-out-of-warranty-you-still-have-rights/2749924). Losing little bits of quickly fading paper doesn't make a difference to that.

Jintor

as fred has noted, the Australian Consumer Law implied warranty is still valid for a year (two years?) after purchase, even if the provided one isn't.

Fredescu

Lenovo business laptops are very well regarded for their long lastingness. Maybe the more consumer grade ones aren't so great, I don't know, but I wouldn't write off the whole brand.

If it's only 8 months old you should be able to claim warranty, receipt or not.

Chuck the serial number in here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/product-service/warranty-status/default.page

As long as it was built in the last 12 months, you should be easily able to make a warranty claim via the manufacturer.

If it shows up as out of warranty there, maybe it was sitting on the shelf at the retailer for a while, find some bank statements that show where you paid for it. Take the statement and the laptop to the retailer.

By law the warranty has to be covered for 12 months (and you could claim longer if you wanted too, see http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/broken-but-out-of-warranty-you-still-have-rights/2749924). Losing little bits of quickly fading paper doesn't make a difference to that.

Thanks Fred. Unfortunately the serial number was peeled off the laptop when I got it. The repair shop we bought it from was just supposed to be taking the hard drive out of my old PC but they somehow convinced my dad to replace the whole thing with this one instead (thus why I dont have a receipt). I wouldn't have gone with it either. I don't know if there's anything I can do without a serial number or anything on the PC. The only thing written on it is Lenovo G570.

The serial number should be in the BIOS.

Edit: It is, found a pic of a G570 BIOS. SN is on the first page: http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4825/imag0004sv.jpg

Thanks Fred :D Didn't know I could do that. Looks like the warranty expired in March 2012. Ah well, I guess that explains why it was falling apart soon after I got it. Gonna try looking for the receipt again and take it up with the store.

EDIT: Found it! It has "no warranty" written on it -_- thanks dad.

Quasar

Lenovo business laptops are very well regarded for their long lastingness. Maybe the more consumer grade ones aren't so great, I don't know, but I wouldn't write off the whole brand.

Yeah. I must admit I'm confused...my impression was that its the most rock solid brand out there.

Mondy

Banned
Don't get in trouble overseas, because if you don't have the cash, Julie won't help you.

Thousands of Australians finding themselves in trouble overseas are facing the prospect of new charges for government help.

On Saturday, Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop signalled a ''user-pays'' approach to consular assistance after 11,927 Australians sought help in the last financial year.

''Of course the Australian government is going to support those in trouble but there are circumstances where questions are raised why taxpayers should foot the bill,'' she said.

Ms Bishop outlined circumstances when government funding could be called into question: when people acted in defiance of local laws, travelled without insurance or ignored travel advisories.
Advertisement

She made her remarks after defending the government's actions on behalf of Greenpeace activist Colin Russell, and criticised him for actions in September that led to his detention.

But Greenpeace spokesman Ben Pearson said: ''Charging for consular support, which is a right of all Australian citizens, sets a dangerous precedent for our democracy.''

A review of consular services was launched by the Department of Foreign Affairs in December, with a deadline for submissions of January 31.

''This review is all about reviewing the consular fee for those who make deliberate and purposeful actions which break the local law and who don't take out comprehensive insurance and then require the consular's help at the taxpayer's expense,'' Ms Bishop said.

Consulates are asked to deal with a range of problems, from medical emergencies to run-ins with the law.

''Common cases include arrests, accidents and hospitalisation, mental health issues, the death of a family member, schoolies-related issues and repatriation,'' a spokesman for the department said.

DFAT says the Bali and Bangkok consulates are among its busiest, with almost 1 million Australians visiting each destination a year.

Hospital cases accounted for 1372 calls for help around the world - up from 1265 in 2012 - while assistance was given for 28 medical evacuations.

Consulates also stepped in to help 1365 Australians who were arrested or imprisoned and 1247 cases in which travellers died. Thailand, Greece, Vietnam, the Philippines, the United States and Indonesia were among the countries where most Australians died overseas. DFAT said the high death rate in Greece was attributable to ''natural causes'' because of the older generation travelling there.

In Bali there have also been methanol poisoning cases from bootleg liquor, including the recent evacuation from Bali to Darwin of teenager Jasmine Baker. The cost of a medical evacuation from Bali to Australia is $40,000 to $60,000.

Ms Bishop said the activities of the Australian government on behalf of Mr Russell had cost $35,000 and she would look closely at recovering the costs.

Mr Russell was one of 30 Greenpeace activists arrested and detained in September when some of the group tried to scale a Russian oil rig in the Pechora Sea.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...-pay-for-governments-help-20140104-30arv.html

As if the governments support for Aussies in trouble overseas could get any more pathetic. I love how she even plays the loaded "taxpayers footing the bill" card. Conservatism gone mad.

Mondy

Banned
People don't take out adequate travel insurance, get injured, then expect the government to bail them out for free?

I would've thought paying tax allowed for at least the piece of mind that our government would help us if we're in trouble. We're Australian citizens, not sheep wandering away from the flock then falling in a ditch.

I would've thought paying tax allowed for at least the piece of mind that our government would help us if we're in trouble.
Help, sure, but if it's something you could've avoided (like breaking laws, injuring yourself) then IMO you should repay incurred costs. If unavoidable, like terrorist attack, that's a different story. Cases and their circumstances should be looked at individually though. Medevacs aren't cheap.

Jintor

Help, sure, but if it's something you could've avoided (like breaking laws, injuring yourself) then IMO you should repay incurred costs. If unavoidable, like terrorist attack, that's a different story. Cases and their circumstances should be looked at individually though. Medevacs aren't cheap.

Charging for consular advice though is a pretty bad precedent imho, waste or not, Australian citizens should be able to go to the local consulate without having to worry about being charged.

Seeking legal advice in an overseas country is difficult enough, imagine doing so with the shadow of a 'wastage fee' hanging over you as well. Not to mention the messy problems that foreign laws can have with ours, etc.

People pay tax to the government... why?
Tax isn't a replacement for personal responsibility, either.

You break the law, don't take adequate insurance, wish to repatriate, someone dies, you piss off the locals you should be able to rely on your government to help but not necessarily take full financial responsibility.

How do I feel about tax payers footing the bill for legal aid for dingbats breaking the laws of holiday makers deciding to cheap out on travel insurance? Well, I think we all know where this is heading. Should they have to pay the whole amount though, or a subsidised amount? I think that's the relevant question.

Charging for consular advice though is a pretty bad precedent imho, waste or not, Australian citizens should be able to go to the local consulate without having to worry about being charged.
Maybe I misread it? I read 'support' as actual support: medical treatment, evacuations, etc. If it's just advice or a consultation they want to charge for, fuck that.

Jintor

Maybe I misread it? I read 'support' as actual support: medical treatment, evacuations, etc. If it's just advice or a consultation they want to charge for, fuck that.

I can't tell from the article. I assumed it was in line with the rest of the cartoonishly evil stuff though.

People don't take out adequate travel insurance, get injured, then expect the government to bail them out for free?
While I'm kind of inclined to agree, especially reading about tourists disrespecting locals and breaking laws, in emergencies overseas there's really no one else you can turn to. I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of making desperate people pay, even if they got themselves into the situation.

Don't get in trouble overseas, because if you don't have the cash, Julie won't help you.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...-pay-for-governments-help-20140104-30arv.html

As if the governments support for Aussies in trouble overseas could get any more pathetic. I love how she even plays the loaded "taxpayers footing the bill" card. Conservatism gone mad.

Funny they only brought it up when they had to foot the bill for the greenpeace guy. I don't remember any government officials complaining about Corby.

Stackboy

Had 34 games in my Steam wishlist before the sale, now I have 17. Think I did pretty well.

Kind of surprised that I am OK with going back to work tomorrow.

Finished Arkham Origins the other day too. Just playing little bits and pieces of things before picking up my next game. I'm towards the tail end of GTA5 but I feel like I should give TLOU another go. Didn't love it, after 3 hours.

What did they do to help the Greenpeace guy? Sent him some Vegemite to eat while in the gulag?

Also forgot to report that Aisha Tyler of Archer/Ubisoft E3 conf/standup fame is on the GAF's now. I'll tweet you Shaneus.
One week to go!

Also I keep forgetting to do the list of extra steamcodes I got. Hopefully I get time tomorrow!

Mondy

Banned
While I'm kind of inclined to agree, especially reading about tourists disrespecting locals and breaking laws, in emergencies overseas there's really no one else you can turn to. I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of making desperate people pay, even if they got themselves into the situation.

Funny they only brought it up when they had to foot the bill for the greenpeace guy. I don't remember any government officials complaining about Corby.

Chyeah, and lets see Julie throw that Al Jazeera reporter who's being held by the Egyptians for no other reason other than being a reporter a nice fat bill.

Idiots.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/com...rsuit-of-higher-pleasures-20140104-30avc.html

For a little while in my teenage years, my friends and I smoked marijuana. It was fun. I have some fond memories of us all being silly together. I think those moments of uninhibited frolic deepened our friendships.

But then we all sort of moved away from it. I don't remember any big group decision that we should give up weed, it just sort of petered out, and, before long, we scarcely used it.

We didn't give it up for the obvious health reasons: that it's addictive in about one in six teenagers; that smoking and driving is a good way to get yourself killed; that young people who smoke go on to suffer IQ loss and perform worse on other cognitive tests.

I think we gave it up, first, because we each had had a few embarrassing incidents. Stoned people do stupid things (that's basically the point). I smoked one day during lunch and then had to give a presentation in English class. I stumbled through it, incapable of putting together simple phrases, feeling like a total loser. It is still one of those embarrassing memories that pop up unbidden at four in the morning.
Advertisement

We gave it up, second, I think because one member of our clique became a full-on stoner. He may have been the smartest of us, but something sad happened to him as he sank deeper into pothead life.

Third, most of us developed higher pleasures. Smoking was fun, for a bit, but it was kind of repetitive. Most of us figured out early on that smoking weed doesn't really make you funnier or more creative (academic studies more or less confirm this).

We graduated to more satisfying pleasures. The deeper sources of happiness usually involved a state of going somewhere, becoming better at something, learning more about something, overcoming difficulty, and experiencing a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

One close friend devoted himself to athletics. Others fell deeply in love. A few developed passions for science or literature.

Finally, I think we had a vague sense that smoking marijuana was not exactly something you were proud of yourself for. It's not something people admire.

We were in the stage, which I guess all of us are still in, of trying to become more integrated, coherent and responsible people. This process usually involves using the powers of reason, temperance and self-control - not qualities one associates with being stoned.

I think we had a sense, which all people have - or should have - that the actions you take change you inside, making you a little more or a little less coherent. Not smoking, or only smoking sporadically, gave you a better shot at becoming a little more integrated and interesting. Smoking all the time seemed likely to cumulatively fragment a person's deep centre, or at least not do much to enhance it.

So, like most people who try drugs, we aged out. We left marijuana behind. I don't have any problem with somebody who gets high from time to time, but I guess, on the whole, I think being stoned is not a particularly uplifting form of pleasure and should be discouraged more than encouraged.

In the United States, there are now a couple of states - Colorado and Washington - that have gone into the business of effectively encouraging drug use. By making marijuana legal, they are creating a situation in which the price will drop substantially.

One study suggests that prices could plummet up to 90 per cent, before taxes and such. As prices drop and legal fears vaporise, usage is bound to increase. This is simple economics, and it is confirmed by much research. Colorado and Washington, in other words, are producing more users.

The people who debate these policy changes usually cite the health risks users would face or the tax revenue the state might realise. Many people shy away from talk about the moral status of drug use because that would imply that one sort of life you might choose is better than another.

But, of course, these are the core questions: laws profoundly mould culture, so what sort of community do we want our laws to nurture? What sort of individuals and behaviours do our governments want to encourage?

I'd say that in healthy societies, governments want to subtly tip the scale to favour temperate, prudent, self-governing citizenships. In such societies, governments subtly encourage the highest pleasures - such as enjoying the arts or being in nature - and discourage lesser pleasures, such as being stoned.

In legalising marijuana, the citizens of Colorado are, indeed, enhancing individual freedoms, but they're also nurturing a moral ecology in which it's a bit harder to be the sort of person most of us want to be.

I love how this guy thinks he can tell us what constitutes a "higher pleasure" and what doesn't. Just another typical "Marijuana will make our society worse" piece of elitism.

Iceblade

Anyone here play BF4 on PS4? After 5-10 minutes, every Conquest Large game I join always lags/stutters. Flying a jet is like flying with permanent turbulence in BF3. I can't figure out if it's my connection or the game. I've always been fine with this sort of stuff. I'm using ethernet, high speed cable broadband. Router NAT is open (Type 2). On the server browser, all Aussie servers have lowest latency possible.

Mondy

Banned
Anyone here play BF4 on PS4? After 5-10 minutes, every Conquest Large game I join always lags/stutters. Flying a jet is like flying with permanent turbulence in BF3. I can't figure out if it's my connection or the game. I've always been fine with this sort of stuff. I'm using ethernet, high speed cable broadband. Router NAT is open (Type 2). On the server browser, all Aussie servers have lowest latency possible.

It's the game. Battlefield 4 is a piece of shit and DICE/EA are taking forever to get it into a form that can be considered anywhere near playable.

Hopped onto BF4 multiplayer for the first time today on PS4. I ran into the exact same problem. Thought I had accidently stumbled into an American server (felt like that with the amount of stuttering) before I saw that a large number of the players were Aus or NZ (based off dogtags). Had left playing it for so long because I thought by now the game would be pretty playable. Seems not, if this is the norm.

Iceblade

Hopped onto BF4 multiplayer for the first time today on PS4. I ran into the exact same problem. Thought I had accidently stumbled into an American server (felt like that with the amount of stuttering) before I saw that a large number of the players were Aus or NZ (based off dogtags). Had left playing it for so long because I thought by now the game would be pretty playable. Seems not, if this is the norm.

Yeah, it's crazy. It's been like this for at least the past 4 weeks, if not more. I've met some people who say they have no issues, which makes me second guess whether or not it's really my connection, but in the end I'm glad you folks are getting it too. Certainly makes me feel better about the whole thing.

CryptiK

Thanks Fred :D Didn't know I could do that. Looks like the warranty expired in March 2012. Ah well, I guess that explains why it was falling apart soon after I got it. Gonna try looking for the receipt again and take it up with the store.

EDIT: Found it! It has "no warranty" written on it -_- thanks dad.
wait what kind of store? If its purchased through a shop they have to provide warranty they can just put on the receipt "no warranty" that shits illegal. Take it up with the anyway. Warranty also starts from time of purchase not manufacture. Is it second hand or something?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Speaking of weed, Abbott should legalise it to get the liberal liberals back on his side.
Always amuses me when I see liberal supporters go on about "personal liberty". Especially when their party platform doesn't even allow the freedom for abortion, gay marriage and marijuana in terms of personal rights. Of course as long as they support "free market" economic policies and don't support the welfare state personal freedom is ensured!

Quasar

Oh Yay. Bernadi off on another screed. Who gave this idiot a microphone?

Surprised he didn't go all the way and call pro-choice people murderers.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Oh Yay. Bernadi off on another screed. Who gave this idiot a microphone?

Surprised he didn't go all the way and call pro-choice people murderers.

I always have this argument with my mum.. where being pro-choice means I'm pro-abortion (eg all babies should be aborted) therefore I support murder.;/

Why I feel the term pro-life is kind of a silly one, as you can be both pro-choice and pro-life.. the idea of abortion might make you uneasy, but you still support a woman's right to make the choice herself.

Kritz

Banned
the problem with the lannisters is that they don't appreciate the arts. Sure they're happy enough with their Rains of Castamere, or some dwarves bouncing around on a sow, but if you give one of them an apple, Tywin gets his briches in a knot and starts lopping off heads like it's the red wedding all over again.

I ask you, where da Tyrells at?

Yeah, it's crazy. It's been like this for at least the past 4 weeks, if not more. I've met some people who say they have no issues, which makes me second guess whether or not it's really my connection, but in the end I'm glad you folks are getting it too. Certainly makes me feel better about the whole thing.
It's only Conquest that has the stuttering problem, so maybe the people saying they're having no problems are just playing other modes (Rush, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom