• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

On the topic of depth, something that I really only noticed since owning High Speed is that depth really isn't the be-all and end-all of pinball machines. For example (this will take a bit) the main rule of HS is as follows: There are three banks of targets, each have a green, yellow and red (traffic lights, duh). You have to light all targets to start the main mode (running the red light aka multiball) and they can only be lit in their colour groups from green to red. So green three times, then yellow, then red. Then you have to make a somewhat tricky loop shot twice, once to "run the red light" and then next to "escape/get away" from the cops. Multiball starts, then if you hit this loop again during multiball, you get the jackpot. That's basically the entire game, save for a few features here and there (certainly not full modes).
But, I can't stop playing it. That's because it's tricky as hell, so it's likely there's a balance between how easy a game is (to keep the ball in play, not to necessarily complete) and how deep the ruleset needs to be. Another great example is Bride of Pinbot (which Mar will be able to attest to). I'm yet to play it in person, but it has a similarly basic aim and there's not necessarily much to do other than that. But it's easy to understand, not as brutal as High Speed and it's known as a great table for good players and beginners because it's not so deep in that you feel you're missing out if you don't play the hell out of it.
Um, so none of that probably makes much sense, but my point is that you shouldn't think you need to get a game that's deep in order to get extended playtime out of it. I guess it's like going to a carnival... if it's only got a few rides but they're all rad, you don't mind (even if it means you don't stay there for too long) as long as you have fun with them. But if you go some place that has lots and lots of rides, it can take a lot of effort to see all of them and feel like you've gotten your money's worth (and that's if they're all good).

Yeah, that analogy will do.

PS. Bride of Pinbot would likely be a *great* first game to get. Like I mentioned, it's simple and has enough personality and flair that it appeals to a wide range of people. And it can be had for fairly cheap too (~$2,500 should get you a half-decent one).

Let me have a think about tables that would fit into that sort of mold and I'll get back to you :) They may not be ones you necessarily like, but it'll give you a point from which to work from.

I actually wouldn't recommend Bride of Pinbot. It's a brutal game especially to beginners (no ball save as well), and if you don't control your play you get pretty much nothing out of each game besides drain city.

I need to have a think about this as well. An easy game with a bit of depth and at a good price. They are out there, just need to have a moment to reflect.

Arksy

Today, I threw out all my non-stick cookware and replaced a bunch of it with a mixture of cast iron and copper inlaid with stainless steel.

Yes, I am unreasonably excited about this development and the prospect of being able to cook with these.

why is the bot's repo private

you should probably make a reboot command that ops can use.

I maaay have put the bots steam credentials on the repo and gave tried unsuccessfully to remove it from the history.

Edit I just thought of a way to do it without exposing that info. Will do that when I get the chance

Mar

When I had five dollars to my name and needed to kill five hours in the arcade, I'd be headed to the Jurassic Park table every time.

Funny you should mention Jurassic Park, because I was about to say that's up there in the 'good and affordable' bracket! Fiona loves this machine actually and wanted us to buy one...

A couple that I've thought of listed in the order I'd rank them:

The Getaway: High Speed II
Fish Tales
Revenge from Mars
Dr Who
Judge Dredd
Jurassic Park
Police Force
Bram Stokers Dracula
Tales from the Crypt

If you wanted to go a bit more retro and give up the 'deep' ruleset requirement, I think these are just as good machines and can be had for less and are just as playable in my opinion, just much less complicated:

Gorgar (I just bought one myself)
Firepower
Space Shuttle
Cyclone
Grand Lizard
Hurricane
Pinbot (the first in the Pinbot trilogy, I'd love to own one of these)

Shaneus

Funny you should mention Jurassic Park, because I was about to say that's up there in the 'good and affordable' bracket! Fiona loves this machine actually and wanted us to buy one...

A couple that I've thought of listed in the order I'd rank them:

The Getaway: High Speed II
Fish Tales
Revenge from Mars
Dr Who
Judge Dredd
Jurassic Park
Police Force
Bram Stokers Dracula
Tales from the Crypt

If you wanted to go a bit more retro and give up the 'deep' ruleset requirement, I think these are just as good machines and can be had for less and are just as playable in my opinion, just much less complicated:

Gorgar (I just bought one myself)
Firepower
Space Shuttle
Cyclone
Grand Lizard
Hurricane
Pinbot (the first in the Pinbot trilogy, I'd love to own one of these)
Few things (screw multiquoting):
* Getaway is a great idea. I actually thought that today after I posted, can be had for under $3k most of the time (which surprises the hell out of me)
* Fish Tales errs on the more difficult side with the lightning flippers, I'd think? Other than that, a good choice.
* Can't really comment on Police Force, but the theme is kinda awkward and I remember Nate saying there was a messed-up jackpot which kind of ruins the scoring?
* I think for most in your first section are going to be around $4k or so, yeah? With the exception of HS2 and possibly FT, Police Force and RfM. Was Rollercoaster Tycoon any good? That might be a fun one as well.

Can't really comment on the others (congrats on Gorgar! You didn't even tell me :( How much?) but another possibility might be Jackbot? No idea what that goes for, but for some reason I'm thinking that it might be one of the cheaper DMD games. (also, I got my LEDs today. I hope they don't look crap)

So, having a kind of a think... this is what comes to mind:
* The Data East/Sega cheapies: Last Action Hero, Baywatch, Batman Forever, WWF (though I believe this might fetch good prices), Back to the Future.
* Lesser-loved/cheaper Bally/Williams titles: Congo, Demolition Man, Johnny Mnemonic, No Fear, Flintstones, Dirty Harry.
Almost forgot, the two Terminator games could probably also be had for a good price. I have a feeling T2 might be a bit of a bargain at the moment?
Oh, and Star Wars Trilogy might be going for a good price too.

PS. There's always this*:
2CQeWCmm.jpg

*Don't. It might actually be a turd. But I rarely see them on eBay and that seems like it might be a good price, so maybe?

Arksy

Cooking with cast iron, Arksy Style.

Step 1:
Ignore what you've read about cast iron being an excellent conductor of heat and grip the handle while cooking, (very mildly) burning your hand in the process.

Step 2:
During the cleaning and re-seasoning step, pick an oil with a low smoke point and get yelled at for filling the house up with smoke. This also makes sure the smoke alarm goes off intermittently for the next hour.

More to come.

Shaneus

Holy fucking shit.

I just watched the first episode of The Game.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

The person who got eliminated first, can someone tell me (spoiler tags plz) what their profession/specialty/claim-to-fame was? I don't want to try looking it up because it might spoil the rest of the show.

Man, that was INTENSE. I take it the first episode is only a taste of how full-on it gets?

Mar

* Can't really comment on Police Force, but the theme is kinda awkward and I remember Nate saying there was a messed-up jackpot which kind of ruins the scoring?

I really like it. Funny story, back in the day when I basically lived in arcades and thought pinball machines were stupid, Police Force was the only pinball machine that I enjoyed playing. I hadn't touched it since those days until I found one at Pinfest last year and fully expected to have 'outgrown' it, now that I supposedly understand pinball and have learnt how to play. But nope, still a fantastic machine to play. I hope to own one of my own some day.

congrats on Gorgar! You didn't even tell me :( How much?)

I said so on Twitter which is the only place I actively talk these days. I don't post much in forums or anything anymore. I got it for a bargain price through a friend in one of my leagues who knew I loved the game and he wanted to make some room for a new pin or two. I wasn't looking to buy a Gorgar just yet as there are a number of machines I'd rather get, but at the price I couldn't say no.

And I really do love Gorgar.

Descending into madness buying a second pinball machine...

Edit: Oh and when I say a bargain price, I actually mean a fair price as opposed to the bloated prices you pay for everything these days. That's the advantage of getting to know these guys in leagues, they treat you like an equal and aren't out to steal your wallet.

Holy fucking shit.

I just watched the first episode of The Game.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

The person who got eliminated first, can someone tell me (spoiler tags plz) what their profession/specialty/claim-to-fame was? I don't want to try looking it up because it might spoil the rest of the show.

Man, that was INTENSE. I take it the first episode is only a taste of how full-on it gets?
are you talking about the genius?
rahk sent me this, not really spoilers, if you just dont read anything and look for the hyperlinks it has their name, profession and a picture

Went to the beach today. Weather was great. Spent most of the time applying sunscreen, but I still got very badly burnt. Stupid genetics.

What madman decided that ticket machines can no longer sell concession tickets? Fucking cityrail

At least you can still buy daily tickets. Queensland has phased those out entirely.

Vormund

Today, I threw out all my non-stick cookware and replaced a bunch of it with a mixture of cast iron and copper inlaid with stainless steel.

Yes, I am unreasonably excited about this development and the prospect of being able to cook with these.

I'm going to chuck some pots and pans out, just got too many in the cupboard.

Found a redback in there too. FFS.

Blah, just realised tonight how much of a depressed shell I've been for the last few weeks since I hadn't seen any classic Simpsons since November. Beer Baron has cleansed the soul. Might have to really treat myself and breakout the DVD commentaries later on tonight.

I've been playing a shitton of Vita lately. Guacamelee! is fantastic, I usually give up at reflex platformers after about 10 minutes (fuck you Super Meat Boy) but Guaca is the perfect learning curve for me, with a nice carrot-onna-stick Metroidvania system. Not far from the end now!
Vita is so fucking good.
Like insanely good. Multitasking and resume functionality is godtier.
I have like 60 games for it already and have only spent about $40 outside of PS+.
Wipeout is INSANE. That first drop down the building I uttered a loud "whooOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" lol. Load times are utter garbage though.
Perfect system for someone like me who only gets 10-30 minute intervals randomly throughout the day to play games. Isn't long enough for a grindy experience like Animal Crossing or Pokemon but enough for a few quick platforms or a race. Tearaway has been put to the side because of this though sadly.

OH YEAH STEAMKEYS

Since monkeyman was nice enough to do a clean out I've been meaning to do the same.
Some may have already been used, nfi really. They are in a rolling text file I've been using for 12+ months now.
PM interest! Pick 2 must haves, if no-one grabs the others you want I'll send them through afterwards.
AUSGAF ONLY!

Psychonauts, Stacking, and Costume Quest gone baby gone!
Vessel, Torchlight, Rochard, S.P.A.Z., and Shatter
Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown
Zeno Clash
The Journey Down: Chapter 1
Space Trader Merchant Marine
The Whispered World
RACE 07 & STCC II
King's Bounty: The Legend
Death to Spies & Death to Spies: Moment of Truth
Shelter
Rune Classic
The Ship: Complete Pack
Shattered Horizon
Dino D-Day
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold Edition
Blades of Time Limited Edition
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Pacific Storm Allies
The Void taken!
Sanctum
Dear Esther bye bye!
Pid
Reaxxion
A Valley Without Wind 1&2
Shattered Haven
Hacker Evolution Duality
Brutal Legend

Speaking of weed, Abbott should legalise it to get the liberal liberals back on his side.
I'm surprised legalisation hasn't been floated as a possible way to boost the budget!

Shit is a billion dollar industry yo!

Get in on that while popular culture is still making it cool. Maybe get Bryan Cranston to come down and do a media campaign to get into the drugs with an even better margin of return!

I always have this argument with my mum.. where being pro-choice means I'm pro-abortion (eg all babies should be aborted) therefore I support murder.;/
How is that an argument. If you ask her to repeat what she is saying out loud enough times she will realise how stupid it sounds.

Maybe I should have a word to your mum.

the problem with the lannisters is that they don't appreciate the arts. Sure they're happy enough with their Rains of Castamere, or some dwarves bouncing around on a sow, but if you give one of them an apple, Tywin gets his briches in a knot and starts lopping off heads like it's the red wedding all over again.
llama-what9xbvs.gif

Is this a Tasmanian thing? I don't know what you guys get up to down there aside from apple picking, apple bobbing and apple tossing.

*remembers that he hasn't read the AuspoliGAF thread in a while*

*reads AuspoliGAF thread*

*drinks carton of bleach*
Congrats! You now officially meet the requirements to be on the front bench of parliament! Make sure to pick up your chosen bigotry topic on the way past Tony's office. I think we still have given (legitimate) non-profit organisations an easy run lately, taking a shot at them should get you into the Brandy Club in the old boys chambers pretty quickly.

OK so I can safely assume many of us are back at work today? BOO-URNS.
I only had Christmas and Boxing Day off >_<
Really shits me when people expect things to get done quickly during the holidays, yet believe it's totally okay for them to be gone for 99% of that time. How the fuck can I tell you the whole towns supply of concrete is closed up until 20th of January when you aren't even here!

Also fuck this town and its concept that everyone can go on holiday for half/most of January. No wonder the trade industry is in such a hole, you can't be fucked working for 1/12th of the year and spend another month either side saying, "Nahhhhh it's almost January so no point doing it now","Nahhhhhhhhhhhh I just got back from holidays, wait until March as there is just so much of a backlog now".

Oh and btw I know this is shockingly old news for everyone but good lord is it nice to finally have a real media streaming system in the house. The wife's all set with her sexy doctor shows or whatever and I get to watch Muppet Show episodes any time I want. Fantastic.
Yup so good. Wife has almost finished season 9 in Greys Anatomy already.
Means I've lost my PS3 to the lounge but it has been a godsend letting me dig into studies at night and during the day the little guy has a whole media server of content to choose from!

I did get an hour of TLoU in the other day. Much better now I've stopped trying to play it like Uncharted lol. Although I did abuse shivs to get through one section :(

(Oh and if anyone can give me the heads up on best place to get PS+ subscriptions from...)
Depends on what region you are going with!

US/UK/AUS

US can be found cheap on eBay/Amazon as low as $30
UK was $52 a few weeks ago
AUS you have to get through SEN or in store. If you can get a deal on credit at EB you can buy PSN credit to use on it or just buy a card there.

OH ALSO

Everyone with an OzGameShop account will have $5 credit in their account until Monday, a promo for the Aussies winning the Ashes!

I'm going to wait until Sony do a sale again.

If I was new to the system I would go with a US account probably. Cheaper games even if the Instant Game Collection is arguably better in UK/AU than in the US!

PSA: Don't forget that today is the last day to 'purchase' Contrast for free on PS+! Don't Starve should go up tomorrow hopefully....

Just a local business that sells computers and repairs them. It wasn't sold as second hand. It cost me $1,300 -_-
bill-and-ted-whoa-gifi8azu.gif

That should get you an ultrabook like Sir Bernbaum got! Crikey!

For that price I would be going back and saying double ewe tee eff buddy.

Maybe you can buy a gaming PC now! I wonder how cheap Chromebooks are at this point. Was tempted to get one for my sister but she is terrible with computers, it wouldn't last a week I bet.

What the fuck is wrong with politicians from South Australia?
Bored. South Australia is fucking boring. Nothing better to do than say stupid shit to get attention so their boring existence can be recognised!

Also the fluoride in the water over there has rotted their brains. The doctors also inject it at birth, along with those vaccines that give you autism.

Didn't you know?

Heh, the 40 quip was us doing some napkin math and us realising that I'll be 40 by the time I the money / time to get my man cave set up just the way I want it (custom shelves and lighting is expensive, who knew)
Yeah I wouldn't think you will get enough time until your next birthday to get it all done along with all the kickstarter stuff.

OH SNAP, YOU'RE OLD :)

As for beards, my partner requested I grow one for movember and I've kept it. I'm not sure about it yet, but other people are being nice about it at least.
Lucky bugger, my wife hates beards. Can't stand them. Sucks for me because within a week of being clean shaven I'll already have a solid amount built up. I also have terrible skin so the added benefit of having stubble/short beard is that no one can see my pimples!

But yeah. I miss my Zeus beard :(

Super jelly. Sick of using cheap cookwear but we treat them like shit so it's better to replace a $40 set every 2 years rather than a $300 set every 2 years lol

The wife even boiled a small pot beyond use when she forgot she was steaming some dim sims heh.

Oh mannnnnnnnnn I remember playing that at some cool adventure place in Adelaide as a kid.
They also had Addams Family! So cool. No idea if this one is decent or not.

I also remember the Batman one. Pretty sure that was in terrible condition when I tried it though.

Pinnies. Always the pinnies.

Rarely played them when i was a kid. Space Invaders was so much sexier in 1980
vlc2014-01-0723-02-40m5xft.png

YOU ALSO SO OLD, GRANDPA

OLD ENOUGH TO BE MY FATHER :/

Arksy

I picked the cookware set up from Harris Scarfe for 80% off. I picked up a Dutch Oven worth $250 for $50. I think I spent...$200 all up. Oh. :(

I'd still recommend checking them out. It makes a world of difference. I must admit part of my motivation was that I needed a Dutch Oven to try some French dishes and didn't have one..I also wanted a roaster for some traditional cuts.

Bored. South Australia is fucking boring. Nothing better to do than say stupid shit to get attention so their boring existence can be recognised!

Also the fluoride in the water over there has rotted their brains. The doctors also inject it at birth, along with those vaccines that give you autism.

Didn't you know?

Nope, didn't have a clue. I'll keep my distance.

So which Telco will jump on the Playstation Now train first with un-metered bandwidth? I'm predicting iiNet.

I'll be keeping a close eye on them. Looks and sounds great.
268582-newqaqqp.jpg

psnow16kue.png

Attach rate on PS4 is over 2.3 too, very impressive. PS+ up 90% as expected.

Also PS4 has already outsold WiiU lol
"OH NOES IF WIIU LAUNCH WAS CRAP THEN SONY AND MS WILL FAIL TOOOO!"

Shaneus

Oh shit, forgot about the Sony thing. Can anyone give me a brief summary of what happened? More Driveclub teasers/release date?!?

Sony talked about Playstation Now (Gaikai) which is playable at the show.
Pointed out they sold a fuckload more PS4's than Microsoft sold X1's.
Software attach rate is already high, 2.3.
PS+ subs have increased by 90%.
Fin.

I wouldn't expect any games announcements to come out of an electronics show.

Fixed lol

Omikron

The whole Gaikai thing might take off, but it certainly is not for me. I have no interest in playing video games with added extra network input lag.

Also, has the overall reaction been positive? You know considering MS were slammed so hard for pushing always online / games locked to accounts etc. This seems the ultimate end of that.

But. Sony. Or something.

Shaneus

Hey Gaz, Mar: Just found this site which has eBay auction results from around the world (including AU) for all pinball machines listed. Might be a good way to get ideas on pricing :)

Mar

They also had Addams Family! So cool. No idea if this one is decent or not.

One of the best selling machines of all time, and regarded as a top 10 best pinball machine ever made in just about any list you can find. There's some good commentated tournament action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DiyPTmwQ88

My friend has The Lost World. How does that compare to the original JP for those in the know?

I've never played Lost World actually... Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone talking about it either.

legend166

I don't really have any interest in a game streaming service.

I can't really think of any great benefits for consumers. Sure, you get access to a lot of titles, but I'd rather they just put them up for a cheap price and sell them to me. That way I at least get a semblance of ownership and don't have to deal with input lag, decreased picture quality and worrying if my connection is going to be quick enough.

Anyway, it will be really interesting to see the pricing.

As far as sales for both consoles go, I'm putting a lot more stock on 2014 sales. I still just feel like we're seeing a sort of sequel syndrome but for a console, where the launch is front loaded but the tail won't be as long.

Also, has the overall reaction been positive? You know considering MS were slammed so hard for pushing always online / games locked to accounts etc. This seems the ultimate end of that.

But. Sony. Or something.
Wut.

Why you hate Sony so much?

Now is a streaming solution like OnLive.

senahorse

I think both Microsoft and Sony suck, I hate them both equally, Sony is GAF's darling at the moment though so it gets a free pass, though, everything changes with time.

PlayStation Now is being setup in anticipation of consumer acceptance of the Netflix model, I doubt Sony see it as a huge deal for the next few years. By 2020 it will be fairly popular/strong.

Damn NBN!

Also damn you Mar. Now I want to save up for an Addams Family table :/

I think both Microsoft and Sony suck, I hate them both equally, Sony is GAF's darling at the moment though so it gets a free pass, though, everything changes with time.
Sony gets lambasted no different to Nintendo or Microsoft.

Even just today there was a thread saying Sony Marketing are inept and aren't pushing games enough, despite the high attach rate.
Every PS4 thread has the usual "no gaems!" Cries too.

This is NeoGAF after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom