• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonGred

Does anyone know a good alternative to "delicious library" for windows? I've been looking at some alternatives but nothing seems to be as easy to use, or has an atrocious design.

senahorse

Not sure why everyone is stressing, most of it is common sense if you've been in the industry a while. I barely paid attention, didn't study and still got 37/40 and unlike me you seem smart so you'll be fine.

I don't think anyone is stressing, more so sympathizing for the ordeal of boredom that is the ITIL course, it takes a special person to enjoy it :)

Cerity

I really like how informative Auspost's tracking system can be at times.

g6cW0ae.png

Shaneus

Anyone know what delivery times are like for Moonpig, that custom card delivery thing? Want one for Mother's Day, left it a little late :/

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Not sure why everyone is stressing, most of it is common sense if you've been in the industry a while. I barely paid attention, didn't study and still got 37/40 and unlike me you seem smart so you'll be fine.

He thinks I seem smart! The ruse is working!!!

Charizard amiibo arrived in the mail today. Hello friend

Gotta enjoy driving half way to work (half am hour), needing to shit so bad you nearly shit your pants so you go to a petrol station toilet and you're in so much pain you're crying, texting your boss who doesn't text back until to ask whether I should still come in even though I'll be an hour late or whether to go straight to a doctor, driving to work (another half an hour) then getting a text to go home and go to the doctors so you drive an hour back home.

Now I'm at the doctors waiting to be seen. :)

What the hell is Avengers Assemble? Is that the animated series or a mobile game?

It's the UK title for the The Avengers (2012) movie. I dunno why for certain, but I'd guess so it doesn't get confused with the other The Avengers- the 60's TV show with Dianna Rigg, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman. Or that shitty 1998 movie version with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman.

That would probably be similar reasons behind renaming that Seth Rogan movie "Neighbors" to "Bad Neighbours" for local release. Either that, or they really hate Neighbours and wanted to make a meta statement.

as to Flying High- that's a weird one, because there's no old show called airplane but there was actually an unrelated one season-wonder American show 1978/79 called "Flying High," which was about Stewardesses playing locally around the same time. Either the local distributor wanted to piggy back or just though Flying High was snappier, or they felt the movie revolved around the woman to shorts something after refusing a shot of whisky.

Renaming movies for foreign release always happens, it's just really weird when it's done for English-speaking countries, and even more confusing in the Internet age. They've even stopped renaming Mad Max 2 as The Road Warrior in the US.

It's the UK title for the The Avengers (2012) movie. I dunno why for certain, but I'd guess so it doesn't get confused with the other The Avengers- the 60's TV show with Dianna Rigg, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman. Or that shitty 1998 movie version with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman.

That would probably be similar reasons behind renaming that Seth Rogan movie "Neighbors" to "Bad Neighbours" for local release. Either that, or they really hate Neighbours and wanted to make a meta statement.

as to Flying High- that's a weird one, because there's no old show called airplane but there was actually an unrelated one season-wonder American show 1978/79 called "Flying High," which was about Stewardesses playing locally around the same time. Either the local distributor wanted to piggy back or just though Flying High was snappier, or they felt the movie revolved around the woman to shorts something after refusing a shot of whisky.

Renaming movies for foreign release always happens, it's just really weird when it's done for English-speaking countries, and even more confusing in the Internet age. They've even stopped renaming Mad Max 2 as The Road Warrior in the US.

There are some classics.

'Fast Five' was 'Fast & Furious 5: Rio Heist' in the UK to avoid confusion with Kung Fu Panda's term Furious Five.
'Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle' was 'Harold and Kumar get the Munchies' due to them not having White Castles, even though we don't either.
'The Rundown' was called 'Welcome to the Jungle' in UK and Australia.

Heaps more here.

Card Boy

Banned
Only 8 more missions on GTA5 (PS4) till i am done, then i play The Last of Us: Remastered. If it's not good i am going to make a rant thread after the way people treat it as the second coming of Jesus.

Yagharek

Only 8 more missions on GTA5 (PS4) till i am done, then i play The Last of Us: Remastered. If it's not good i am going to make a rant thread after the way people treat it as the second coming of Jesus.

It's certainly no resi 4.

It's good, but prepare for a letdown relative to the absolute batshit hyperbole. Emotionally resonant my fucking arse.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I bought TLoU at launch for the PS3. I've still not played it, as I feared it would kill my OG near-launch PS3.

Charizard amiibo arrived in the mail today. Hello friend

Damn, that's a long postage time. Had mine since ANZAC day!

It's certainly no resi 4.

It's good, but prepare for a letdown relative to the absolute batshit hyperbole. Emotionally resonant my fucking arse.

Do you have kids Yag? All the emotional stuff hit me pretty hard since I'm a parent. Pretty much the only way a game will get me since LOLVIDEOGAMES.

Jintor

I mean I thought TLOU was well made and all but I actually liked the gameplay a bit more than the story tbh.

I remember getting to the end and being like "oh... i guess that happened"

I dunno, maybe it's getting more difficult for stories to me not to just be a series of events that happen in turn that don't really mean anything.

Stackboy

I swear I played a different game when the hivemind was having a love-in about TLOU.

Jintor

Man what was the last game where I was like "Shit that story was gooooooood"? It was probably a visual novel, huh? Dang.

I'm not particularly affect by games stories or plots.

A game can affect me emotionally in the following ways

Anger- cheap deaths, poor checkpoint placement (or way too few). obvious cheating

Frustration- losing a save game, game freezes up, or worse, won't load at all, lag. Hardware failure.

Excitement/Exhileration- pulling off a difficult move, winning a game (when you rarely win), games with excellent physics and destruction.

Boredom- The Order: 1886
Laughter- very few games make me laugh. Make me laugh an I'm yours. So basically- Portal 1&2, Bulletstorm, Sunset Overdrive, Lego City Undercover.

also often funny at times: Phoenix Wright, GTA.

Joy- Super Mario 3D World.

Played some more Dark Souls 2. Turns out I did go the complete wrong way and am enjoying it a lot more now. I went towards the castle I think instead of the forest which seems like the way youre supposed to go. I'm not sure what to do now though, I've come up to a bug.. thing that flames you and I suppose you're supposed to kill it but I don't have a bow (nor the stats to use one) and there doesn't seem to be any other way around. Oh well. I'll come back to it later and poke around more

Fredescu

Game stories have been like that forever. It's not a suitable medium for powerful narrative.

It's definitely not a suitable narrative for linear movie-style plots, but I think you can loosely fashion a powerful narrative via world building and it have it work out pretty well in games.

Jintor

It's definitely not a suitable narrative for linear movie-style plots, but I think you can loosely fashion a powerful narrative via world building and it have it work out pretty well in games.

I had an interesting though the other day which is that world building environments can only really tell a story that's already happened and you're wandering through the aftermath really. I don't know how true that is but my first thoughts flick to Bioshock and Dark Souls, both games where what you are doing here and now is more or less superceded by the way more interesting tale of how shit got to where it is now.

Of course that's not to say that's not a legit story to tell too, but it's kind of interesting to think about.

I haven't played 80 days yet. I'll grab it later I guess?

bomma_man

I'm not particularly affect by games stories or plots.

A game can affect me emotionally in the following ways

Anger- cheap deaths, poor checkpoint placement (or way too few). obvious cheating

Frustration- losing a save game, game freezes up, or worse, won't load at all, lag. Hardware failure.

Excitement/Exhileration- pulling off a difficult move, winning a game (when you rarely win), games with excellent physics and destruction.

Boredom- The Order: 1886
Laughter- very few games make me laugh. Make me laugh an I'm yours. So basically- Portal 1&2, Bulletstorm, Sunset Overdrive, Lego City Undercover.

also often funny at times: Phoenix Wright, GTA.

Joy- Super Mario 3D World.

Scary games are way scarier than scary movies too.

I had an interesting though the other day which is that world building environments can only really tell a story that's already happened and you're wandering through the aftermath really. I don't know how true that is but my first thoughts flick to Bioshock and Dark Souls, both games where what you are doing here and now is more or less superceded by the way more interesting tale of how shit got to where it is now.

Of course that's not to say that's not a legit story to tell too, but it's kind of interesting to think about.

Yeah, compare Bioshock to Infinite's theme park sideshow world. Games are a lot more combining if they don't have to replicate actual people (Majora's mask excluded).

Yagharek

The best story in a game I played was the plucky defensive effort which netted brutal deluxe an 11 to 9 win in the cup final vs super nashwan.

Fredescu

I was thinking of Fallout New Vegas, where you do have to learn of what's happened, but what's coming in terms of the clash of the factions is where it's all leading towards. That game gives you so many choices in terms of resolution that the overall plot is never going to be very tight, or even coherent, but the sub plots within that can be very interesting and theoretically "powerful".

senahorse

Just got an email from Blizzard:

Need some extra gold? Try trading a WoW Token, a new in-game item that lets players exchange gold and game time between each other.

To get started, buy a WoW Token from the in-game Shop for $20 USD and put it up for sale on the Auction House. Once another player buys it, collect your gold and get back to your adventures!

haha, surprised it took them so long really, if you can't beat the gold farmers, join them

MoonGred

Scary games are way scarier than scary movies too.

I'm with you on this, the only thing I find is that cheap jump scares that are often over used in video games get stale much quicker than it's movie counter part. A good example of this is "Outlast" which turns into a chore after the first hour.

Shaneus

Huh.

Introducing Full VPN
We like to keep our updates short and sweet, so here it is in 60 seconds... but we don't want to waste your time or clog your inbox, so if you no longer wish to receive these updates, please unsubscribe here.

What's New?
We've got BIG news for you all! We are happy to announce our new add-on, Full VPN - that is more powerful than any other available in the market.

You can connect to our global secure VPN (Virtual Private Network) network servers and encrypt all your internet traffic. Your ISP and government can not monitor your traffic. You can also use Getflix Full VPN on any WiFi hotspots to secure your online activity from prying eyes.

You can use torrent/p2p safely as your internet traffic is encrypted when you are connected to our Getflix Full VPN networks. We also have unique Torrent VPN Network servers deployed for you.

How To Activate Full VPN Account?
As simple as this - login to the Getflix Management > VPN section and click "Full VPN ON" in the Full VPN section. Best of all it's FREE for all active subscribers!

Getflix Full VPN can be used on any device that supports VPN connections. Check out our Knowledge Base for further information and instructions on how to setup Full VPN.

Support
Need assistance? We're here to help! Support tickets can be logged any time by visiting our support page.

I don't think I've ever seen a VPN service that doesn't charge for traffic. As an additional service to their DNS spoofing... woohoo!

Kritz

Banned
I'm of the mind that as far as creative mediums go, games have more in common with art installations and exhibits than film. Games can certainly learn from film, but I think when it comes to storytelling, the medium has to use its own strengths (interactivity, exploration, experimentation, manipulation) rather than another medium's (framing, pacing, time compression).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom