• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

I guess this would count as the wii u's first official price cut. $359 for splatoon bundle coming out end of month. Saw it on JB website

This might be my entry point for a WiiU. Not that interested in Splatoon, but I want to grab a WiiU before E3.

The World's End is easily the weakest movie in the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy. It's still exceptionally well-made but.

It's not fantastic and pales in comparison to the other 2 films, but its still good fun. Might watch them all again soon.

That new Getflix VPN works really well.

Anyone watched Derek on Netflix? It's a Ricky Gervais show. Haven't been a fan of him in quite some time, but this show is really good. Check it out.

Eh, I like World's End- though it does go all over the place. It's just so all over the place. First its melancoly and awkward, then the sci-fi plot and action starts to ramp up, then the brilliant
Lamp
scene. And that epilogue that is both funny, depressing and just odd. But it's not predictable. My favourite scene:
YotCiK6.gif

Hot Fuzz describes the hair on my testicles when I watch Hot Fuzz. Again, one of my 500 favourite movies. And the cast: You've got Callan/The Equalizer/WickerMan Edward Woodward. You've got The Hound. You've got James Bond. You've got Marsha from Spaced. Bill Bailey, Olivia Coleman, Kevin Eldon, Jim Broadbent, et al. And Bill Nighy, Steve Coogan, Martin Freeman and Cate Blanchette all in there somewhere.

So if World's End is Frost/Pegg/Wright's low water mark (and if you haven't seen the series Spaced, you really need to track that down), i'll take that over most other films.
You need all three for critical mass. Paul has 2/3 the plutonium but doesn't quite explode.
tumblr_ljn4la5R2V1qzqp1co1_r3_500.gif

In short: Yarp.

Fredescu

Power out in South Melbourne. No work today for a few hours.

You think you've got in bad, in Sydney there's a strange orb in the sky omitting a very blinding bright light, and the sky is an unnatural hue unlike any shade of grey I ever recall experiencing. It's all quite surreal.

senahorse

Sounds like just another day in Queensland, you can give the place a lot of flack for various reasons but the weather is pretty damn good here a lot of the time.

Yagharek

Another interest rate cut.

Housing affordability across the nation for new buyers sacrificed at the altar of irrational fuckwits in Sydney.

Just let the Sydney economy burn. Don't ruin the rest of the country for those cunts.

/choc mode

Fredescu

Housing affordability across the nation for new buyers sacrificed at the altar of irrational fuckwits in Sydney.

Just let the Sydney economy burn. Don't ruin the rest of the country for those cunts.

What's Sydney got to do with it? They're cutting interest rates to encourage spending and investment. The main problem with housing affordability is negative gearing which distorts where that investment goes. If you want to get mad about something, get mad about negative gearing.

hope everyone itt watched last nights four corners

Yeah the big meat processing place here employees a ton of Asians who live in horridly cramped conditions. Heard plenty of horror stories about female employees being abused by people asked to "help" them ease into western society life.

Fucking sucks, especially when something like 40 of them were laid off on the quiet a month or so ago with no real prospect of help (or attention due to it being a major local employer so lol at the papers being allowed to print anything about it), but what are you going to do.

I try and buy co-op stuff where I can. We get most of our veggies from the in-laws.

Yagharek

What's Sydney got to do with it? They're cutting interest rates to encourage spending and investment. The main problem with housing affordability is negative gearing which distorts where that investment goes. If you want to get mad about something, get mad about negative gearing.

Concentrated housing bubble

Darren870

Consequences will be dire if/when interest rates go up only a couple percent.

Yea, thats the worry some part. Many people start stretching themselves and they don't realize that once the economy gets better and interest rates rise again that their mortgage payments can increase drastically. My missus has her statements from just 10 years ago that was around 8% for her mortgage. Right now we have 4.44%

It it went to 8.44% it would increase our mortgage payment by $1100 a month!! Not that its going to go up that high in the next few years, but most loans are 30 years!

Shaneus

/choc mode
I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I've opted for saving (my broker has basically given up on me having anything other than a gift from a rich relative, which don't exist in my world) I guess for me it's good?

Yay interest rate cut?

Keep in mind, I'm not buying in Sydney (or even Melbourne) so I guess I have that going for me.

What are the consequences of an interest rate cut? I vaguely know it affects loans but the mechanisms are mysterious to me. Will it likely affect the currency in some way?

senahorse

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I've opted for saving (my broker has basically given up on me having anything other than a gift from a rich relative, which don't exist in my world) I guess for me it's good?

Yay interest rate cut?

Keep in mind, I'm not buying in Sydney (or even Melbourne) so I guess I have that going for me.

No, when you're saving you want interest rates to go up, when you're paying a loan you want them to go down.

Darren870

What are the consequences of an interest rate cut? I vaguely know it affects loans but the mechanisms are mysterious to me. Will it likely affect the currency in some way?

Its likely already factored in as everyone knew this was coming, in terms of currency.

Your savings accounts will be getting a crappy return though.

Lower interest rates promote spending
Higher interest rates promote saving.

Fredescu

Its likely already factored in as everyone knew this was coming, in terms of currency.

In reality, the market is as clueless as the rest of us:

Consequences will be dire if/when interest rates go up only a couple percent.

Consequences will be worse if the economy is left to deflate on it's own. If rates increase by that much, it will be because the economy is going gangbusters and at least you'll have a job. In theory, said gangbusters economy should increase wages too which will even out the rates increases, but they've fucked that for us too now, so I don't know. I guess my point is, we're fucked either way. Don't encourage spending and let unemployment go up and up and it doesn't matter what the rates are, you'll be unemployed.

I'm having to manage someone at the moment who isn't pulling their weight. All I'm getting is excuses. Shits me no end.

Ours resulted in the death of two kittens and an extra 3 to 4 hours work for us today. The kittens were vet checked yesterday and fine, severely sick today. Had to be euthanased.

Today was a shit day.

Dryk

I really wish I could go back in time and set all my term investments to mature just as I finish my PhD instead of yearly. They used to be on like 8% FFS.

Sydney is also the reason people cling to the hope that negative gearing is a positive force so...

Yagharek

Yay interest rate cut?

I don't know what your position is, but we got basically the 20% deposit/20% of income plan going. So I guess if you're in a 30 year loan you have to factor in rate rises vs salary raises.

If you want say a $400k house/flat then you need a deposit of $80k.

Current interest rates (pre-cut) are about 4.8% on variable rate home loans. With a $320k loan then you're looking at about $860 per fortnight. So you want to be earning a very decent wage solo to afford that. A $300k house would be ~$590 per fortnight. That's getting into rental cost territory where it becomes easier to justify a slightly higher expense if you're not giving the money to a landlord.

Also a 1% interest rate rise would see your fortnightly payments go up by about $60, so best to factor that in.

And if you have a large deposit, get an offset account.

If you don't have one, maybe consider buying smaller, and renting one room out.

magenta

People shouldn't discount the effect foreign buyers have had on our housing markets. If they dry up and interest rates are hiked it would like a perfect storm for a crash.

Wolfenstein: TOB unlocked yesterday arvo, CoH2 Alpha unlocked this morning (#NDA bitches), new Hardcore History episode is coming out today.

And now you say Black Mesa part 2!

Target & Big W usually have the best prices. Catalogues should be out Tuesday night, I'll post in here the prices.
I still haven't finished Driveclub so I'm giving it a miss lol
Have you seen any good prices rep? Dick Smith and Target don't have listings for it, and the best prices so far are Big W for $78 and JB for $79. I was hoping for better than that TBH.

jambo

Still no xen, will wait for sale.

The changes so far are already enough for me.

- new engine (Source 2013, not Source 2)
- Steam Workshop mod support
- multiplayer
- massive amount of bugfixes
- new weapon models, animations, effects
- new AI, no more aimbot soldiers, more run and gun
- new voice work
- new textures
- new models
- new props

jambo

Just a newer branch of the Source engine.

It was a requirement of Valve's that they update.

I think the mod is Episode 1 or2 level, so this one would be the newest.

EDIT:
Originally based on the version of Source released with Counter-Strike: Source in 2004, the project switched to a more recent version released with Valve's The Orange Box in 2007. This new version included more advanced particle effects, hardware-accelerated facial animation, and support for multi-core processor rendering among other improvements. The team recently stated that they have moved Black Mesa to Valve's new 2013 version of Source, with faster load times and Mac OS X and Linux support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom