• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random post inbound...Netflix rates Aussie ISPs

1431393866185.png

Ratings are useless tbh as it's an average, of course Telstra will be at the bottom due to having a ton of low end users living in the middle of nowhere.

Important thing is noting the average speed across the country, which is low as fuck compared to other countries and what improvements you would expect over time for the technology. Stagnant as fuck.

senahorse

Ratings are useless tbh as it's an average, of course Telstra will be at the bottom due to having a ton of low end users living in the middle of nowhere.

Important thing is noting the average speed across the country, which is low as fuck compared to other countries and what improvements you would expect over time for the technology. Stagnant as fuck.

Don't worry, Tony and Malcolm are sorting out this mess:

The Coalition’s plan to transform the NBN will see:
· Download speeds of between 25 and 100 megabits per second by the end of 2016 and 50 to 100 megabits per second by 2019.

Quasar

Of course I'd only compare it to other countries with a large spread out population. I always kind of shake my head at folks getting upset that Australia does not have South Korean average broadband speeds.

I guess Canada would be a decent comparison point.

Dead Man

Of course I'd only compare it to other countries with a large spread out population. I always kind of shake my head at folks getting upset that Australia does not have South Korean average broadband speeds.

I guess Canada would be a decent comparison point.

Except we don't really have a spread out population, it's just clustered with huge gaps between.

Quasar

Except we don't really have a spread out population, it's just clustered with huge gaps between.

Certainly the scattering isn't even. Though I guess being a non capital city dweller and having family scattered in rural/regional areas of NSW, QLD, and WA means I have a slightly different view than some.

Dead Man

Certainly the scattering isn't even. Though I guess being a non capital city dweller and having family scattered in rural/regional areas of NSW, QLD, and WA means I have a slightly different view than some.

Indeed, that is fair enough. I grew up in rural Aus, the issues are real, but the majoprity of the population is not spread out. Victoria as a state has a higher population density than Sweden:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_dependent_territories_by_population_density

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/3218.0~2012-13~Main+Features~Victoria?OpenDocument

25 per sq km in Vic, 21.7 in Sweden. And yet.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,6/Sweden/

Ef22vQ6.png

Population density over a whole country is no excuse for large urban areas having shite speeds.

Indeed, that is fair enough. I grew up in rural Aus, the issues are real, but the majoprity of the population is not spread out. Victoria as a state has a higher population density than Sweden:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_dependent_territories_by_population_density

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/3218.0~2012-13~Main+Features~Victoria?OpenDocument

25 per sq km in Vic, 21.7 in Sweden. And yet.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,6/Sweden/

Ef22vQ6.png

Population density over a whole country is no excuse for large urban areas having shite speeds.

Stuck in the dark ages, we are.

Even then, Netflix videos stream at 1080p while other sites, even youtube, can struggle on adsl2. Any idea what kind of codecs are used by Netflix?

Youtube isn't struggling because of bad algorithms or bad network connections, it's struggling because they don't want to sent you the video any faster. I've had scenarios where single videos just won't load faster than they play but I can then fire up a steam download and the YT DL speed stays exactly the same. Or more infamously, the adds in front of the videos load fine and in ultra high quality!

Actually a lot of google sites including Google proper have been dogshit for a couple of years, loading slow as balls when other sites load instantly.

Even then, Netflix videos stream at 1080p while other sites, even youtube, can struggle on adsl2. Any idea what kind of codecs are used by Netflix?

Netflix uses magnets rather than codecs, that's where everyone else is going wrong!

EDIT: Whoa. For some reason your first paragraph wasn't showing Mutes. Super weird. Wasn't showing before AND after I posted but I remember seeing it while typing my post. Showed up now after reloading page. Weird.

EDIT2: Youtube streams/downloads at full speed for me. Might only been since I joined Google ++ though. Mobile flash support as been great too.

senahorse

Youtube isn't struggling because of bad algorithms or bad network connections, it's struggling because they don't want to sent you the video any faster. I've had scenarios where single videos just won't load faster than they play but I can then fire up a steam download and the YT DL speed stays exactly the same. Or more infamously, the adds in front of the videos load fine and in ultra high quality!

Actually a lot of google sites including Google proper have been dogshit for a couple of years, loading slow as balls when other sites load instantly.

I think that's more due to where the video is cached, generally the more popular a video the more likely it is being cached in the faster and potentially more local storage.

legend166

What's funny about Netflix is I don't think they've even done any marketing here. All the ads I've seen are from ISPs and how you can get free Netflix/quick Netflix or whatever. But nothing just for Netflix. Whereas Presto ads are everywhere.

senahorse

What's funny about Netflix is I don't think they've even done any marketing here. All the ads I've seen are from ISPs and how you can get free Netflix/quick Netflix or whatever. But nothing just for Netflix. Whereas Presto ads are everywhere.

I guess the difference is a product that sells itself due to the good value proposition vs a product that needs to try and sell itself due to the opposite.

Stackboy

I've seen a couple of billboards and bus shelter ads, but you might be right, I think they were from ISPs, or FetchTV.

Meanwhile, Stan still lags behind with devices that can play it.

I've seen a couple of billboards and bus shelter ads, but you might be right, I think they were from ISPs, or FetchTV.

Meanwhile, Stan still lags behind with devices that can play it.

I'm guessing Stan will eventually be swallowed up by one of its competitors, the same way Galaxy and Optus(?) eventually merged with Foxtel.

Netflix uses magic to reach 1080p in like 5 secs and remain stable the whole time.

Netflix is better in Australia on my 15mbps ADSL2 than it was in the US on a 50mbps cable connection.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. As is magic.

senahorse

Presto beating stan by that much is disgusting.

Stans alright guys.

Well to be fair:

At this stage it looks like Stan is flatlining in last place, however the Fairfax owned service has questioned the figures, stating that the data didn’t take note of the sub-domain where Stan hosts its plays.

But I doubt that's true, it wouldn't be like News Ltd to leave out the facts.

Quasar

Presto beating stan by that much is disgusting.

Stans alright guys.

That is really sad given all the promotion Stan got and how much better it would be than Presto. Hell...for the most part I'd consider it on par with Netflix Australia, aside from its limited device support. ANd that latter point makes me wonder about the sales of GoogleCast devices and AppleTVs in Australia.

I also kind of wonder what the yahoo thing is they are including. Might as well also include Youtube there.

Well redundancys have started at work, this should be interesting.

As for Netflix I get pretty good quality via the Aussie variety, but as soon as I change region it turns to crap. Could my DNS settings (aka getlfix ones) be causing the speed difference?

Quasar

As for Netflix I get pretty good quality via the Aussie variety, but as soon as I change region it turns to crap. Could my DNS settings (aka getlfix ones) be causing the speed difference?

I dunno. Thats what I use all the time.

Stackboy

I'm guessing Stan will eventually be swallowed up by one of its competitors, the same way Galaxy and Optus(?) eventually merged with Foxtel.

I don't know about that, Fairfax media owns Stan, they might have a fair purse to dig into to keep Stan afloat. Or maybe Fairfax won't have much faith in the platform and kill it when it fails after a while.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
That is really sad given all the promotion Stan got and how much better it would be than Presto. Hell...for the most part I'd consider it on par with Netflix Australia, aside from its limited device support. ANd that latter point makes me wonder about the sales of GoogleCast devices and AppleTVs in Australia.

I also kind of wonder what the yahoo thing is they are including. Might as well also include Youtube there.

Something seems up.

there's not even a spike for Community!

so yeah I think somethings wrong with those numbers. and the lack of apps makes me sad. especially that I pretty much know i'll never get a Wii U app.
it's the one thing stopping me from using it daily like I do netflix.

Quasar

I don't know about that, Fairfax media owns Stan, they might have a fair purse to dig into to keep Stan afloat. Or maybe Fairfax won't have much faith in the platform and kill it when it fails after a while.

Half owned by Nine too.

That said Foxtel has deeper pockets than Nine/Fairfax so you'd think think Stan would go before Presto.

Meanwhile...how the hell is Quickflix still a going concern?

It shouldn't, as the settings are just telling it which content to allow/block. Maybe make sure there isn't something extra turn on in the router settings.

What shows up when you do a speedtest? Should still ping the same server/etc on speedtest.

Stackboy

Hope you're ok man.

I'm on Optus cable, don't have any problems with other regions.

senahorse

Something seems up.

there's not even a spike for Community!

so yeah I think somethings wrong with those numbers. and the lack of apps makes me sad. especially that I pretty much know i'll never get a Wii U app.
it's the one thing stopping me from using it daily like I do netflix.

You didn't read my reply?

Fairfax are saying they didn't take the domain into account that hosts video, so I would take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Stackboy

Half owned by Nine too.

That said Foxtel has deeper pockets than Nine/Fairfax so you'd think think Stan would go before Presto.

Meanwhile...how the hell is Quickflix still a going concern?

I'm generally interested to see which service lasts the longest. I mean Netflix will prevail, but who is going to come second place?

Sometimes redundancy packages can be a great cash injection, it hinges on you converting one of your opportunities at the right time of course. If you can have something else of similar quality lined up quickly a voluntary redundancy package can be a real bonus. Best of luck mate.

It shouldn't, as the settings are just telling it which content to allow/block. Maybe make sure there isn't something extra turn on in the router settings.

What shows up when you do a speedtest? Should still ping the same server/etc on speedtest.

That's what I figured. I'll re run the speedtests using different DNS addresses but usually it's around 16Mbs.

Hope you're ok man.

I'm on Optus cable, don't have any problems with other regions.

I'll be fine either way, it's just amusing how badly they are handling it.

Mate at work doesn't have any issues either, just seems strange.

Sometimes redundancy packages can be a great cash injection, it hinges on you converting one of your opportunities at the right time of course. If you can have something else of similar quality lined up quickly a voluntary redundancy package can be a real bonus. Best of luck mate.

Cheers. That's the way I'm looking at it as well, free money. I've been half assed looking for a new job but will stop until I know more about what's happening as I don't want to quit and then they role out the voluntary packages.

Jeez, those numbers are horrible for Stan, though I never really saw them as a going concern. I always saw them as the equivalent of Tom Waterhouse Bookies, get in early, get a bunch of subscibers, buy up a heap of content, on top of stuff leveraged off Channel 9, get the buzz before the big players enter and then sell content and subs to the biggest player at a later date at a cool profit. With the way it's bouncing along just above zero, a sell off of content and the few subs can't be that far away!

Clearly they underestimated how many Aussies were already subbing to the US version and the genius of having iiNet and Optus do the advertising for netflix was brilliant. I suspect the lack of TV apps hurt too.

Lovely. Here's hoping its just a fake.

Yeah hoping it's just some stupid kid trying to do something stupid.

Leaving it right near the bus stop which is right at the crossing sure does make it seem like they are targeting the most people possible there. It's a really busy road too. Pretty sure NAPLAN is today as well.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
You didn't read my reply?

Fairfax are saying they didn't take the domain into account that hosts video, so I would take the numbers with a grain of salt.

you know.. i did.. but then i quoted the next one.. took a call.. then re read the post id quoted and forgot about yours :(

but that makes sense. I hope we get hte numbers with Stan properly. and I hope its doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom