• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

Hey has anyone had any experience with getting your internal wiring checked for internet faults? Our net (iinet) has been dropping out since late April, and when it does manage to stay connected for more than 5 minutes, it's super slow.

iinet and Tesltra have been fucking useless. Do I go for a private technician? Who do I call (ghostbusters?) Had bad internet for over two weeks for no reason shit's getting out of hand.

Bernbaum

What's funny about Netflix is I don't think they've even done any marketing here. All the ads I've seen are from ISPs and how you can get free Netflix/quick Netflix or whatever. But nothing just for Netflix. Whereas Presto ads are everywhere.

All their own marketing was 100% online. Only the ISP's they partnered with did conventional outdoor advertising.

Bernbaum

Presto beating stan by that much is disgusting.

Stans alright guys.

I got a free Presto subscription for a few months but cancelled it as it was associated with my credit card and I didn't want to cost me money once the promotion expired. All their content is in SD.

You literally couldn't give me Presto for free.

MoonGred

Does anyone know any travel insurance that covers non-permanent AU residents? I checked CGU yesterday, but they denied me on the grounds that my permanent residency is still being processed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I can run over people, knock down poles with my horse, it can take a beating and you're also batman in the new ass creed.

Most realistic game this year, easily GOTY

So I can run over people, knock down poles with my horse, it can take a beating and you're also batman in the new ass creed.

Most realistic game this year, easily GOTY

i look forward to seeing how developers from Quebec City portray the English. Should be subversively interesting.

Still no Rogue PS4/X1 port yet?

Darren870

Does anyone know any travel insurance that covers non-permanent AU residents? I checked CGU yesterday, but they denied me on the grounds that my permanent residency is still being processed.

Egh, what's the reason you need it. I have a list of a few but they range in prices depending on what you need it for.

New AC looks the goods. I skipped Unity entirely due to the co-op/messy image leading up to launch but if this one previews/reviews well I'll grab it at launch. I ain't been burnt yet.

Still no Rogue PS4/X1 port yet?

It's fucking insane. No idea why they haven't done it.

At this point I'd expect they'll save it for a ASSCREED PIRATES! "remaster" bundle for next Easter. That would be the smartest thing to do.

Cerity

Goddamit AMD, release your new cards already. Witcher 3 is coming and I don't think my 6950 will take to it all to well. Might have to grab a 280 or a 680/770 in the mean time.

New AC looks the goods. I skipped Unity entirely due to the co-op/messy image leading up to launch but if this one previews/reviews well I'll grab it at launch. I ain't been burnt yet.
I think it looks incredibly dull and adding yet more stuff just waters it down even further. Random vehicle chases are reminiscent of every open world vehicle game ever, the grappling hook is just Batman, fighting for boroughs is just San Andreas. The combat is still "take a number" combat with one opponent at a time, and it still looks boring. And the gameplay footage they showed is just the same crap (rescuing citizens from evil jerks has been a boring hallmark since the first game).

Now, if they stylised it like a Guy Ritchie gangster flick, maybe I'd be interested.

Hey has anyone had any experience with getting your internal wiring checked for internet faults? Our net (iinet) has been dropping out since late April, and when it does manage to stay connected for more than 5 minutes, it's super slow.

iinet and Tesltra have been fucking useless. Do I go for a private technician? Who do I call (ghostbusters?) Had bad internet for over two weeks for no reason shit's getting out of hand.

Hire your own electrician to test the line, sockets and more. Usually lots of rain water creates the intermittent issues on bad/old lines as you describe. If you're looking to get a whole new line from the street then dial 1100 before you start digging but it's the best "solve all" approach IMO. Also you save a small fortune digging trenches yourself. Any sparky is able to check your wiring but ask when you enquire with them as some don't want that sort of work.

I've had good success with trades on the Service Central marketplace, just check out the reviews first and it makes it easy to get a couple of quotes too.

EDIT: One thing to remember is since Netflix hit Australia major ISP traffic has been slowing to a crawl e.g. iiNet with free Netflix traffix. They've been scrambling to enable more equipment/throughput so you may choose to wait it out as well.

Depending on how I feel come October I might pick up one of the inevitable Nvidia Ubisoft game codes for Ass Crud #25. Unity was not that fun, I had to force myself to finish the story mode after a while.

I think it looks incredibly dull and adding yet more stuff just waters it down even further. Random vehicle chases are reminiscent of every open world vehicle game ever, the grappling hook is just Batman, fighting for boroughs is just San Andreas. The combat is still "take a number" combat with one opponent at a time, and it still looks boring. And the gameplay footage they showed is just the same crap (rescuing citizens from evil jerks has been a boring hallmark since the first game).

Now, if they stylised it like a Guy Ritchie gangster flick, maybe I'd be interested.

Scratches the right itches for me then! I hate open world games where you get mobbed rather than picking them off one at a time (although I can't recall the last one that wasn't "take a number" combat tbh). Also fuck me, I have been dying for more gang land control stuff ever since GTA SA! I even used to glitch the game so the land grab areas would show up everywhere on the map, not just Los Santos. Super keen for something like that!

If they wanted a Guy Ritchie game I expect it would be marked as a new IP rather than AC. Even the Pirates! version maintained their usual style despite the change in gameplay for the most part.

Oh also the change from sword combat to CQC stuff I'm keen on too!

Yagharek

Depending on how I feel come October I might pick up one of the inevitable Nvidia Ubisoft game codes for Ass Crud #25. Unity was not that fun, I had to force myself to finish the story mode after a while.

Ive never understood this. It almost seems like you feel obligated to play it. Just abandon the series and try something new.

Ive never understood this. It almost seems like you feel obligated to play it. Just abandon the series and try something new.

Yeah, I enjoyed Unity but can see how some people wouldn't have liked it. Don't force yourself to play games you don't enjoy
The Order

I remember buying The Witcher 2 and trying to play just after Skyrim (which I really enjoyed). It didn't click for me so I'm skipping W3. Same with Saint's Row. I've bought 1-3 and just never got much enjoyment out of them compared to other open world games.

I know when I was younger I was in "Gotta play everything." Now I just play what I really want to play and try to ignore stuff that's not in my wheelhouse or, dare I say it, not quite my tempo.

I went AC, AC2, AC3 (stopped after a couple of hours), AC:U. So I've missed most of the yearly entries. The revolutionary France setting and changes to parkour made me try Unity. When I say "see how I feel by October" I mean I'll be looking at footage of this and deciding if I think it's worth trying again. The setting looks promising but Unity was two steps forward / one step back. The core stealth is still majorly shitty despite SOME improvements, combat is different but still kind of bad in a different way.

Yagharek

I went AC, AC2, AC3 (stopped after a couple of hours), AC:U. So I've missed most of the yearly entries. The revolutionary France setting and changes to parkour made me try Unity. When I say "see how I feel by October" I mean I'll be looking at footage of this and deciding if I think it's worth trying again. The setting looks promising but Unity was two steps forward / one step back. The core stealth is still majorly shitty despite SOME improvements, combat is different but still kind of bad in a different way.

A game where the core gameplay is about parkour, combat and stealth and 2 of the 3 elements are notoriously bad (and the other 1 is ropey) doesn't deserve second (or 25th) chances imo.

senahorse

Play Black Flag, the best AC since 2/bro, I hear Rogue is pretty good as well.

Kritz

Banned
computer people:

my sister has eight hundred dollars and wants to build a desktop. It will have to be entirely from scratch. It will be your standard study / streaming / occasional games PC. She doesn't play many games outside of Sims or SWTOR, but all the same it should probably be built with the goal of running Windows really well.

What am I looking for, parts wise, to get this thing going?

Darren870

I'm going to Bali and surrounding areas for 10 days. I know the majority wouldn't even bother but I'd get anxious.

I have a list that I'll PM you. Are you looking for travel insurance (eg your covered for stolen items) or just health insurance (eg hospital)?

Sometimes its easier to find international insurance companies. When we traveled around South America we used a US insurance company to cover us for health.

hidys

Tomorrow I'm going to go and see either Avengers 2 or Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm not sure which one I should see.

Help me pick AusGAF.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
computer people:

my sister has eight hundred dollars and wants to build a desktop. It will have to be entirely from scratch. It will be your standard study / streaming / occasional games PC. She doesn't play many games outside of Sims or SWTOR, but all the same it should probably be built with the goal of running Windows really well.

Off the top of my head:

i3 or non-k i5
4GB RAM
750 Ti
M-ITX mobo

MoonGred

I have a list that I'll PM you. Are you looking for travel insurance (eg your covered for stolen items) or just health insurance (eg hospital)?

Sometimes its easier to find international insurance companies. When we traveled around South America we used a US insurance company to cover us for health.

Thanks for that, it would just be for health, I'm not taking anything of value so am not too worried about stolen property.

computer people:

You could build a respectable rig that simply doesn't have a video card if all she is gaming is Sims and TOR. That shit runs on Intel HD graphics. If she needs to have more power later she can always add a discreet GPU down the line.

800 for a whole system including video card won't get you anything too fancy. The cheapest pre-built systems on PCCG start at 799 (not including shipping). Building yourself will yield you something slightly cheaper with similar parts.

senahorse

I enjoyed Ultron, but I would go with Mad Max, partly because the first two movies are 2 of my favourites of all time.

mad-max-mad-max-13-01-1982-12-04-1979-8-g_5522fe1c2a6b22bb7f09ae04.jpg

Mad-Max.jpg

Quasar

Tomorrow I'm going to go and see either Avengers 2 or Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm not sure which one I should see.

Help me pick AusGAF.

Mad Max. But then I thought Ultron, like Avengers was not very good. Not terrible.

Though I'm very wary of Mad Max...the removal of the Australian-ness annoys me terribly.

Quasar

Speaking of Stan...just got an email announcing their AppleTV client. So maybe we'll see a ps4/xb1 client in tne not too distant future.

senahorse

Still sad though. Our one great SF series rebooted as I guess a US series.

I hear ya, but still, it's better than nothing. Originally it was going to be filmed here with Mel Gibson but I think due to timing and such it didn't go ahead. At least it's still 'meant' be in Australia.

I remember buying The Witcher 2 and trying to play just after Skyrim (which I really enjoyed). It didn't click for me so I'm skipping W3. Same with Saint's Row. I've bought 1-3 and just never got much enjoyment out of them compared to other open world games.
TW2 had great atmosphere, visuals and story while the combat was pretty love/hate. Looked amazing on PC, still does.

SR4 is pretty much a Crackdown sequel rather than a SR title. Hell, even SR3 moved well away from SR1/2 tbh.

You missed Black Flag! That was my favourite since AC2. I skipped ACU and had to return to AC3 a long time after release to find enjoyment in it. ACR is a complete blank to me, no idea what happened in that game, felt like a fanmod tbh. Bro had the bones of a great game but felt way too scattershot, it did so damn much I lost sight of what was important.

Help me pick AusGAF.

If you have to ask I expect Mad Max would be the best choice. Avengers would be the pick if you are into the other movies and want more of the same.

Roulette

computer people:

Don't skimp on the CPU if she wants to play Sims. i5 minimum, I would say.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...g-holiday-crackdown-to-yield-millions/6464330

I applaud the Australian government for finally doing something about all of these dastardly, lazy, ungrateful, tax-avoiding, money-hoarding, fruit-picking foreigners. I've lost track of how many Porsches and Bentleys I've seen on the farm I'm working at. That and I'm so glad that every other social problem in Australia is solved so that they can focus their attention on this totally significant issue.

I also applaud them for making it harder and more expensive for ungrateful cunts like me who like Australia to move here permanently.

Darren870

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...g-holiday-crackdown-to-yield-millions/6464330

I applaud the Australian government for finally doing something about all of these dastardly, lazy, ungrateful, tax-avoiding, money-hoarding, fruit-picking foreigners. I've lost track of how many Porches and Bentleys I've seen on the farm I'm working at. That and I'm so glad that every other social problem in Australia is solved so that they can focus their attention on this totally significant issue.

I also applaud them for making it harder and more expensive for ungrateful cunts like me who like Australia to move here permanently.

Egh, at least they allow people to come here from other nations and for a good amount of time. The Pom's don't let anyone in!

And yea, only another year or so till i can get my PR here....wahoooooooooooooooo

MoonGred

Yea I came on a work holiday as well, it's just the cheapest way to go, that and I had to live with my partner for a year in Australia.
Do you have to do a lot yourself for the 457 or is the majority handled by your employer?

Kritz

Banned
Don't skimp on the CPU if she wants to play Sims. i5 minimum, I would say.

yeah, I'm usually pretty cheap when it comes to building computers - I'll throw most of the money at a CPU and storage.

Off the top of my head:

i3 or non-k i5
4GB RAM
750 Ti
M-ITX mobo

I'll def take the GPU suggestion. Not sure how much memory a modern OS uses, so I might consider 8GB if I can fit it into the price range. Considering I also have to buy a monitor, an OS, and everything else to go with it.

You could build a respectable rig that simply doesn't have a video card if all she is gaming is Sims and TOR. That shit runs on Intel HD graphics. If she needs to have more power later she can always add a discreet GPU down the line.

800 for a whole system including video card won't get you anything too fancy. The cheapest pre-built systems on PCCG start at 799 (not including shipping). Building yourself will yield you something slightly cheaper with similar parts.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure what I did with my old 5850... I should check and see if that's in the garage, because that was a good little graphics card and is probably all she needs if she ever does want to play something more demanding like Skyrim.

Or I could make the jump onto a 900-something and give her the 670 that's currently in this thing. Downside is that my 670 has been a bit flakey ever since I spilled an entire can of soda onto it. Unsurprisingly.

MoonGred

I applaud the Australian government for finally doing something about all of these dastardly, lazy, ungrateful, tax-avoiding, money-hoarding, fruit-picking foreigners. I've lost track of how many Porsches and Bentleys I've seen on the farm I'm working at. That and I'm so glad that every other social problem in Australia is solved so that they can focus their attention on this totally significant issue.

Only just read this, and it's a joke, I already had to pay a shitload for my partner visa, and that's without all the added extras.

That and yea let's tax the fuck out of the people that actually go through the effort and do farm work instead of paying some dodgy farmer, it's not like they earn a shit wage or anything. A lot of my friends went through this and so many farmers take advantage of these people, paying them 14$ and hour while still charging them for rent. They use the excuse that they need to earn the work.

Australia is getting quite adapt at the whole "fuck off we're full"

Edit: kritz how the fuck do you spill soda over your gpu?

Darren870

Yea I came on a work holiday as well, it's just the cheapest way to go, that and I had to live with my partner for a year in Australia.
Do you have to do a lot yourself for the 457 or is the majority handled by your employer?

Most of it was handled by my employer, just a few forms. They will put me forward for PR once I've been her 2 years and am eligible.

I could have gone defacto with my partner as we had been living together for a year prior, but it was just easier to go through work. She is my back up plan ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom