• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
as a professional internet man, I need to guarantee my graphics cards have their thirst quenched. Solo™ soda drink® is the only thirst mutilator that lets me perform my duties as an independent mother and rock hard core style on the down low.

Crush It™ today with Solo™ soda drink®.

Kritz

Banned
Tell me Internet Man, would my water-cooled GPU perform better if it was cooled by the thirst-crushing epicness of Solo™?

I swear it's your only choice, spill over you drinks and raise your voice!

biEPgBU.png

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Only just read this, and it's a joke, I already had to pay a shitload for my partner visa, and that's without all the added extras.

That and yea let's tax the fuck out of the people that actually go through the effort and do farm work instead of paying some dodgy farmer, it's not like they earn a shit wage or anything. A lot of my friends went through this and so many farmers take advantage of these people, paying them 14$ and hour while still charging them for rent. They use the excuse that they need to earn the work.

Australia is getting quite adapt at the whole "fuck off we're full"

In Gold Coast my girlfriend was paid $12 p/h cash in hand at a restaurant.
Right now we're getting paid an <X> amount for trimming/weeding/planting strawberries. I've no idea if the employer pays the tax on our behalf or whatever - they didn't ask for a TFN - but no tax has been deducted from my pay. It goes directly into our bank accounts so with a paper trail like that we assume that there's a modicum of legitimacy there. Or they just expect us to file our own taxes before we bail out. *shrug*

Anyways, legislation like this just makes it more attractive for working holiday people and employers to exchange money under the table.

And your thing about exploitative farmers is quite something. The farm we're at right now needed a $100 deposit in order to work there. And if you want to stay on the on-farm accommodation it's $100 a week - and the least said about the living conditions there the better.

MoonGred

Right now we're getting paid an <X> amount for trimming/weeding/planting strawberries. I've no idea if the employer pays the tax on our behalf or whatever - they didn't ask for a TFN - but no tax has been deducted from my pay. It goes directly into our bank accounts so with a paper trail like that we assume that there's a modicum of legitimacy there. Or they just expect us to file our own taxes before we bail out. *shrug*

Anyways, legislation like this just makes it more attractive for working holiday people and employers to exchange money under the table.

And your thing about exploitative farmers is quite something. The farm we're at right now needed a $100 deposit in order to work there. And if you want to stay on the on-farm accommodation it's $100 a week - and the least said about the living conditions there the better.

How on earth do they justify you having to pay them 100$?

it doesn't start till July 1, 2016 so you got time to be exploited under the current system before you are exploited under the new system.

If you get paid cash in hand and you haven't provided things like a tax file number- there's no paper trail and no reason (other than honesty) to declare your full income.

If you've had the money deposited in your account- that's a paper trailer right there.
If you hang around long enough and put in tax returns, you'll eventually see your bank accounts linked to your tax records (if you use etax).
If the employer hasn't asked for a TFN, you aren't PAYG (Pay As You Go) so they won't be passing on tax, you're meant to declare it on your return.

So in your situation, take cash for those types of jobs. Or get a job at McDonald's, you'll earn more.

industrian

How on earth do they justify you having to pay them 100$?

Yadda yadda sponsoring a second year visa yadda yadda want you to be there all season yadda yadda all-round shady farm that near-exclusively recruits Taiwanese/HK people.

You need to give a two-week notice and you can get your deposit back.

it doesn't start till July 1, 2016 so you got time to be exploited under the current system before you are exploited under the new system.

If you get paid cash in hand and you haven't provided things like a tax file number- there's no paper trail and no reason (other than honesty) to declare your full income.

If you've had the money deposited in your account- that's a paper trailer right there.
If you hang around long enough and put in tax returns, you'll eventually see your bank accounts linked to your tax records (if you use etax).
If the employer hasn't asked for a TFN, you aren't PAYG (Pay As You Go) so they won't be passing on tax, you're meant to declare it on your return.

So in your situation, take cash for those types of jobs. Or get a job at McDonald's, you'll earn more.

I was actually considering applying for a job at McDonalds while I'm here. I worked there in Scotland from December 2000 - June 2004 and as such suitable time has passed for me to be totally "healed" from the experience. That and there's a whole American Beauty subplot there in it for me.

But I'm 31 in December and need to get three months regional work by then to get my second year visa.

MoonGred

Yadda yadda sponsoring a second year visa yadda yadda want you to be there all season yadda yadda all-round shady farm that near-exclusively recruits Taiwanese/HK people.

You need to give a two-week notice and you can get your deposit back.

I was actually considering applying for a job at McDonalds while I'm here. I worked there in Scotland from December 2000 - June 2004 and as such suitable time has passed for me to be totally "healed" from the experience. That and there's a whole American Beauty subplot there in it for me.

But I'm 31 in December and need to get three months regional work by then to get my second year visa.

Do you at least get full shifts? A couple of people i know would only get offered 1 or 2 hours a day for the first few weeks

Thinking about it, I'm not sure what I did with my old 5850... I should check and see if that's in the garage, because that was a good little graphics card and is probably all she needs if she ever does want to play something more demanding like Skyrim.

Or I could make the jump onto a 900-something and give her the 670 that's currently in this thing. Downside is that my 670 has been a bit flakey ever since I spilled an entire can of soda onto it. Unsurprisingly.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=425460&action=wish_lists

There's a random list. The Case / PSU were chosen at random, just cheap shit. You can get cases with integrated PSUs for cheaper. Posted to 7000 that's like 750 bucks. Has an SSD so the windows experience will be great just based on that. 4th gen i5 etc.

Realistically if you don't mind someone's sloppy seconds you can get a used PC or used components. Note that list assumes you already have a license for winders.

industrian

Do you at least get full shifts? A couple of people i know would only get offered 1 or 2 hours a day for the first few weeks

We've not worked since Monday, as there's nothing for us to do on the farm except wait for the plants to develop. Before that we worked from 6am-Noon every day and there was enough work for us to make $60-120 per day.

As it will be raining in a few days my girlfriend is concerned about lack of work. I'm working from home still so my entire involvement on the farm is purely for my second year visa. That and I consider it being paid to work out.

Kritz

Banned
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=425460&action=wish_lists

There's a random list. The Case / PSU were chosen at random, just cheap shit. You can get cases with integrated PSUs for cheaper. Posted to 7000 that's like 750 bucks. Has an SSD so the windows experience will be great just based on that. 4th gen i5 etc.

Realistically if you don't mind someone's sloppy seconds you can get a used PC or used components. Note that list assumes you already have a license for winders.

I think that looks like a decent build. I'll probably shout her the peripherals and just say they came with the cost of the 800. Might throw in a HDD too for good measure. Windows key should be easy enough to come by. Might be able to get a student discount on the MS store.

The other option I considered was getting one of those NUC things, but they seem like better streaming PCs than actual work machines.

PCCG sure is a dangerous site to be on, so easy to start adding stuff... hrm I've always been meaning to buy a toolkit... I could use more cable ties... ooo network cables...

MoonGred

We've not worked since Monday, as there's nothing for us to do on the farm except wait for the plants to develop. Before that we worked from 6am-Noon every day and there was enough work for us to make $60-120 per day.

As it will be raining in a few days my girlfriend is concerned about lack of work. I'm working from home still so my entire involvement on the farm is purely for my second year visa. That and I consider it being paid to work out.

That's such a shitty situation, sorry to hear that man.
Power tripping farmers urgh...

Cerity

I think that looks like a decent build. I'll probably shout her the peripherals and just say they came with the cost of the 800. Might throw in a HDD too for good measure. Windows key should be easy enough to come by. Might be able to get a student discount on the MS store.

The other option I considered was getting one of those NUC things, but they seem like better streaming PCs than actual work machines.

PCCG sure is a dangerous site to be on, so easy to start adding stuff... hrm I've always been meaning to buy a toolkit... I could use more cable ties... ooo network cables...

Online stores don't do much for me, places like MSY a few years ago though, you could actually browse through it all. I remember picking up that x800 PE and just staring at it, then the same with the 7900GTX and the 8800 Ultra's. I'd be in real trouble if they still did that.

I installed a NUC for my aunt. i3 Broadwell model. 2.5" SSD. It runs great for Windows and shit. The i7 models are pricier, but come with like Iris Pro graphics and stuff. The high end integrated (a contradiction in terms perhaps). I would not recommend them if there's even a chance of wanting to play real beefy games tho.

Online stores don't do much for me, places like MSY a few years ago though, you could actually browse through it all. I remember picking up that x800 PE and just staring at it, then the same with the 7900GTX and the 8800 Ultra's. I'd be in real trouble if they still did that.

It was like a super market.

Dmax3901

Hire your own electrician to test the line, sockets and more. Usually lots of rain water creates the intermittent issues on bad/old lines as you describe. If you're looking to get a whole new line from the street then dial 1100 before you start digging but it's the best "solve all" approach IMO. Also you save a small fortune digging trenches yourself. Any sparky is able to check your wiring but ask when you enquire with them as some don't want that sort of work.

I've had good success with trades on the Service Central marketplace, just check out the reviews first and it makes it easy to get a couple of quotes too.

EDIT: One thing to remember is since Netflix hit Australia major ISP traffic has been slowing to a crawl e.g. iiNet with free Netflix traffix. They've been scrambling to enable more equipment/throughput so you may choose to wait it out as well.

Thanks man, I'm only seeing this post now but I basically did what you suggested.

Cost me $160 but the guy found a dial tone and I'm now back to my regular speed and stability.

Just in time with the Witcher next week.

Stackboy

Tomorrow I'm going to go and see either Avengers 2 or Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm not sure which one I should see.

Help me pick AusGAF.

Mad Max for sure. Just looks fantastic. Avengers 2 can wait, it's fun but more of the same.

I'm seeing Mad Max tonight, can't wait!

AC Syndicate looks good, but lets remember it's a Ubisoft game and the last AC game was horribly broken and lets all wait until we can get it for really cheap because we aren't all fools, right?

Cerity

Duders, where is the cheapest place to buy the Witcher 3 for PC via download?

See if you can't grab one of the nvidia codes that people are selling (Check B/S/T). 30 USD seems to be the going rate.

In other news, scored myself a 290x, thank fuck for tapatalk notifications.

Kritz

Banned
I figure, all the other work I did on CBD was to procrastinate from doing something else more important. So I'll just start loading up on important things that I won't do and watch the creative juices flow.

That's the idea, anyway.

Roulette

Mod condoned.

I'm trying again to beat 1&2 before I pick up 3. This must be my fourth attempt.

I'm wondering if I should restart because I forgot to bang one of the farm girls.

Quasar

Man. What a cool episode of Flash, and we still have the finale to go. My thought long dead inner comicbook geek continues to squee at this show.

Continue to be surprised by how much they can do so well on a TV budget.

Ventron

Congrats Moon!

Anyone here also entering the PAX Australia Indie Showcase? Am busting guts trying to meet the deadline, hopefully I can also announce what I'm making and post screenshots/GIFs here when more art comes in.

industrian

Guys

Its official.

You can't get rid off me anymore.

I am now a permanent Australian resident.

Congratulations man. I could see myself wanting to live where I am indefinitely. Depends on jobs and stuff though. What route did you take (visas, etc)?

MoonGred

Congratulations man. I could see myself wanting to live where I am indefinitely. Depends on jobs and stuff though. What route did you take (visas, etc)?

I came down about 3 years ago with my girlfriend (who's Australian) on a work holiday visa, waited a year and then applied for a partner visa, which would've been so much cheaper if we had applied from outside of the country.
All the bureaucratic crap that came with the visa was a massive drag and having to lodge everything by mail made it all the more tedious.
After that was granted I was on a 2 year temporary visa, with the outlook on permanent, this just got approved.

But yea, all in all it was just paying money and waiting. I'm not too sure on your situation but if you'd be eligible for one let me know and I'm more than happy to help out.

One hot tip is that Immigrations was really proud of their new website, which should make things easier, don't believe this, it's a piece of shit.

I don't know how but I stumbled upon a new Harry Shearer song and it's fkn amazing
https://soundcloud.com/lelink/cops-with-attitude

Kritz

Banned
No. You're not allowed to do anything until you release Citizen Burger Disorder.

don't worry I made the cover of my portfolio in microsoft paint and aside from that I am not preparing for this interview in the slightest. Just going to rock up in a giant bomb hoodie and be like, "yo check this shit out".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom