• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

My band was on the front cover of mx in Brisbane once. Was weird to be on the train on the way home and have my face staring back at me.

My weekend is going to be filled with my new WiiU, Witcher 3 and Destiny.

Jintor

SPLATOOOOOOOONNNNNNN

nintendo it's really dumb that my 3ds friends list is seperate from my wii u friends list. fix that shit

Fusebox

Banned
Melb guys, Barcode is gone?!?!

Had a mate mention something about a bar with video games, I figured he was talking about Barcode but google tells me Barcode is gone! I only went there once but any place with booze, loud music and arcade cabinets is A-OK in my books.

Turns out he's going to Bartronic. Looks like a fun place, crowd seems to skew a bit geekier from the photos but I can handle some second hand cheeto dust.

legend166

So I finally got a new position at work. I've basically been doing the job for the last 12-18 months (Network Security Engineer), but I convinced my manager to create a position at the proper level. Had to go through the whole interview process and everything even though the position was created for me and I was the only applicant.

Anyway, so it was advertised at a certain level, which would have been a 25% increase on what I'm currently earning (sounds like a huge jump, but I've basically been on grad salary for the last five years). So when everything got through and they offered me the job, they offered me......a 7% increase. I kicked up a stink and wrote a strongly worded letter to the HR department and got them to actually give me what the position was advertised at.

So the lesson is, don't accept the first offer.

Now once I get my pesky HECS paid off I might be able to afford a mortgage that will get me a house 60km from the CBD!

I hate this city.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Can't tell If it's a good or bad thing that the guy at the hot chocolate place knows me, I don't even have to say I want one and he already has it ready.

Melb guys, Barcode is gone?!?!

Had a mate mention something about a bar with video games, I figured he was talking about Barcode but google tells me Barcode is gone! I only went there once but any place with booze, loud music and arcade cabinets is A-OK in my books.

Turns out he's going to Bartronic. Looks like a fun place, crowd seems to skew a bit geekier from the photos but I can handle some second hand cheeto dust.

I'm thinking these guys are going about this "place for geeks to socialize" in the wrong way.
They keep trying to do a bar that appeals to geeks but also non-geeks. A board game in a loud bar seems kinda counter productive and arcade cabinets, unless they're multiplayer, would kinda defeat the purpose of a social venue.

They should forget the bar model and look to a bookshop-cafe sort of thing where people can hangout at night but also in the day, play games, buy coffee, snacks and food as well as play board games and arcade games.

There are lots of cafes and the like flourishing in some precincts where people go to at night to socialize but not always with the pub/nightclub crowd. That way, revenue is not limited to drinks from penny pinching nerds, but also food and coffee (food is not as glamorous to people who think Cocktail was the bestest movie ever), revenue is also not limited to mainly friday and saturday nights. Yeah, some types do go to bars on weeknights but are the numbers there to make a boutique business out of?
Sell weird foreign sodas and candies, let people play boardcames, get cocktail cabinets to double as tables. Having good hot food (not microwaved sandwiches) would be a bonus.

Basically a coffee club for nerds. One of those at Southbank in Brisbane, maybe Indooroopilly or Newfarm.

Kritz

Banned
I stopped going to The Standard in hobart now they know my name and my burger order. :(
Might be enough time now since I last went that I can get away with it...

Stackboy

Anyone else getting hype for E3? I've got the week off to get excited about video games. I'll get up early on Tuesday morning to watch all the major press conference announcement streams.

Shaneus

They should forget the bar model and look to a bookshop-cafe sort of thing where people can hangout at night but also in the day, play games, buy coffee, snacks and food as well as play board games and arcade games.

There are lots of cafes and the like flourishing in some precincts where people go to at night to socialize but not always with the pub/nightclub crowd. That way, revenue is not limited to drinks from penny pinching nerds, but also food and coffee (food is not as glamorous to people who think Cocktail was the bestest movie ever), revenue is also not limited to mainly friday and saturday nights. Yeah, some types do go to bars on weeknights but are the numbers there to make a boutique business out of?
Sell weird foreign sodas and candies, let people play boardcames, get cocktail cabinets to double as tables. Having good hot food (not microwaved sandwiches) would be a bonus.

Basically a coffee club for nerds. One of those at Southbank in Brisbane, maybe Indooroopilly or Newfarm.
You're exactly right. My idea was/is to have a pinball place that does good food truck-style food. That was kids can come in and play as well. Do a barcade you're locking out everyone under 18. None of these places I can go to during my lunch break as they all open at 4pm, too... fuck that noise.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone want to buy an inkling boy or girl amiibo?

When I ordered them they didn't have the three pack, so i'd ordered the boy and girl. but now i've ordered the three pack, but Boy and Girl have already shipped.

I guess ideally some one who's buying the collectors edition that comes with the squid amiibo so already has that one!

HolyCheck

11051780_895607243829258_3030991502389266630_n.jpg

OK :(

Dryk

I ordered a Wii U LAN adapter in the hope that I can fix my internet issues and justify buying Splatoon, but it only shipped yesterday so it might not get here for the weekend.

i can literally only eat one before i feel sick
My friends challenged me to eat 3 in a minute once. I managed it but you can't savour them so it was really just a waste of Tim Tams.

quabba

I ordered a Wii U LAN adapter in the hope that I can fix my internet issues and justify buying Splatoon, but it only shipped yesterday so it might not get here for the weekend.

My friends challenged me to eat 3 in a minute once. I managed it but you can't savour them so it was really just a waste of Tim Tams.

Why were they asking you to eat them so slowly...

Hmm Do I need splatoon in my life? I havnt seen any footage or anything, I like Nintendo games but not a huge shooter fan.

Oh wow, really plausible rumour here guys!

According to Rooster Teeth's source, Silent Hills is 80% complete, and Microsoft is trying to purchase the property for "billions" of dollars by E3 this year – where it will officially reveal the game as an Xbox One exclusive. It could reportedly be released as soon as March 2016.

Konami pulled the PT demo for Silent Hills from the PlayStation Store "as a show of good faith to Microsoft," Rooster Teeth said.

lol

This is despite Kojima/Reedus saying it was barely started and he hadn't done most of the motion capture yet. Plus lol billions for Silent Hills.

Why were they asking you to eat them so slowly...

Hmm Do I need splatoon in my life? I havnt seen any footage or anything, I like Nintendo games but not a huge shooter fan.

If you play online shooters and want one for the WiiU I'd grab it.

I don't play online games so it gets a pass from me, especially since the boy wouldn't be able to play it for a few years anyway.

Axiom

I get Splatoon and suddenly my Wii U's external hard drive won't work, I have to unplug the thing to even get the game to load

My NNID should be OhAxiom I think

:-(

My phone is off contract right now, been wading back into new phone research. Suddenly even tech people love the Galaxy and LG, it's a new world.

HolyCheck

Jb hifi in the city have splatoon boy and girl and 3 packs, greninja, jigglypuff and wario if anyone's interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom