• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Big W in the cbd has a big splatoon commercial playing on loop right at the main entrance. 4x~50inch tv's. Onto the amiibo report now.

No decent amiibos.

But their barcode scanning screens around the store are showing splatoon adverts!

Big W in the cbd has a big splatoon commercial playing on loop right at the main entrance. 4x~50inch tv's. Onto the amiibo report now.

No decent amiibos.

But their barcode scanning screens around the store are showing splatoon adverts!

Yeah Nintendo have been going hard with Splatoon. I wouldn't be shocked to find out this is their biggest marketing spend on a game ever. Seems to be everywhere!

Gazunta

Huuuuuuge fan of his earlier films. Bought Clerks like 5 times. Mallrats twice after seeing it in the cinema like twenty times. Heck, watched it the other night and it still slayed me. Chasing Amy means a LOT to me. Dogma I bought like three versions of. Wagged the afternoon off work to watch Clerks 2. HELL, I EVEN LIKED JERSEY GIRL. Have a big stack of Clerks / Jay & Silent Bob comics I still re-read from time to time. One of my favourite memories of my visits to America is visiting one of his comic shops and geeking out over the memorabilia in there. Heck, I even used to "chat" to the guy in the very early days of his website (this would be pre-Chasing Amy when the message board had just started)

Seeing him and Mewes on stage a few years back the last time they toured Australia was, literally, the most excruciatingly boring night of my life. Hours and hours of two dull, liftless stoners (oh sorry, one stoner and one ex-stoner who keeps getting told what a loser he was for being a stoner, BY THE OTHER STONER) giggle to themselves over a pile of in-jokes, meandering, pointless stories about Mewes' dick and infantile bullshit. It was like being stuck at a party with drunk people who thought they were hilarious and being stone cold sober. I felt embarrassed to have called myself a fan and cheated out of my money and time. Never again.

I saw Chasing Amy for the first time the other day. It's the first movie of his I've seen that I unambiguously enjoyed. Only seen Clerks and Jersey Girl otherwise tho. The latter was some DVD my sister brought home years ago, long before I ever knew who Kevin Smith was.

Roulette

Huuuuuuge fan of his earlier films. Bought Clerks like 5 times. Mallrats twice after seeing it in the cinema like twenty times. Heck, watched it the other night and it still slayed me. Chasing Amy means a LOT to me. Dogma I bought like three versions of. Wagged the afternoon off work to watch Clerks 2. HELL, I EVEN LIKED JERSEY GIRL. Have a big stack of Clerks / Jay & Silent Bob comics I still re-read from time to time. One of my favourite memories of my visits to America is visiting one of his comic shops and geeking out over the memorabilia in there. Heck, I even used to "chat" to the guy in the very early days of his website (this would be pre-Chasing Amy when the message board had just started)

Seeing him and Mewes on stage a few years back the last time they toured Australia was, literally, the most excruciatingly boring night of my life. Hours and hours of two dull, liftless stoners (oh sorry, one stoner and one ex-stoner who keeps getting told what a loser he was for being a stoner, BY THE OTHER STONER) giggle to themselves over a pile of in-jokes, meandering, pointless stories about Mewes' dick and infantile bullshit. It was like being stuck at a party with drunk people who thought they were hilarious and being stone cold sober. I felt embarrassed to have called myself a fan and cheated out of my money and time. Never again.

This was also my experience. Mind you, this was after a really shitty day. Wife left tickets at home, went back to get them, missed train to Sydney, forced to drive there having never driven in Sydney before, GPS took me into city centre over Harbour Bridge, arrive in terrible mood with 2 mins. to spare, take seats that are in the very back row, watch two old men tell boring stories about (literal) shit and then simulate sex on stage because why not, drive home, never again.

hidys

I saw Chasing Amy for the first time the other day. It's the first movie of his I've seen that I unambiguously enjoyed. Only seen Clerks and Jersey Girl otherwise tho. The latter was some DVD my sister brought home years ago, long before I ever knew who Kevin Smith was.

Chasing Amy is probably his best film.

It's a toss up between that and Dogma for me. I'm a sucker for Clerks and Mallrats though.

First night drinking without having to drive in a while. Housewarming, had a lot of fun playing Articulate

Its nice in a weird way to look at pretty girls again without feeling guilty.

Maximo

Just wanted to get this off my chest tonight (hopefully not banned for the language)

There was a homophobic bouncer at "Carmen's" tonight (Miranda Hotel, NSW Sydney). Friend was hugging a mate we haven't seen in 1-2 years (haven't had any drinks) and rightly so we were hugging him as a mate. Bouncer asks my friend if hes gay, friend says hes bisexual (hes sexual preference doesn't fucking matter) laughs AT HIS FACE mocks him when he finds out and sends him out of the club, and sends a mate of mine out for questioning him if hes homophobic.

I don't give a fuck what color, race, what you look like or what your job is but as long as your decent human being im cool with you.

That man was a PRICK and I can't gather my words properly to express my utter disgust for someone with that view still in this day. I sure as hell will be doing everything I can to report this individual to whoever cares.
This is not a drunken rant at a bouncer nor were acting like *Drunken Dickheads* or causing any sort of trouble.
This is purposely discriminating against one of my own mates for his sexual preference. My blood was boiling tonight and can't get over how much this *human being* pissed me off.
Sorry but I had to vent.

I really like the holy trinity of Mallrats/Chasing Amy/Dogma. All damn good movies. Although I even loved J&SB Strike Back, must have watched it at least a thousand times on DVD. Clerks is good but really rough, his other movies are bleh to eh.

Its nice in a weird way to look at pretty girls again without feeling guilty.
Yeah that's pretty weird

Just wanted to get this off my chest tonight (hopefully not banned for the language)

There was a homophobic bouncer at "Carmen's" tonight (Miranda Hotel, NSW Sydney). Friend was hugging a mate we haven't seen in 1-2 years (haven't had any drinks) and rightly so we were hugging him as a mate. Bouncer asks my friend if hes gay, friend says hes bisexual (hes sexual preference doesn't fucking matter) laughs AT HIS FACE mocks him when he finds out and sends him out of the club, and sends a mate of mine out for questioning him if hes homophobic.

I don't give a fuck what color, race, what you look like or what your job is but as long as your decent human being im cool with you.

That man was a PRICK and I can't gather my words properly to express my utter disgust for someone with that view still in this day. I sure as hell will be doing everything I can to report this individual to whoever cares.
This is not a drunken rant at a bouncer nor were acting like *Drunken Dickheads* or causing any sort of trouble.
This is purposely discriminating against one of my own mates for his sexual preference. My blood was boiling tonight and can't get over how much this *human being* pissed me off.
Sorry but I had to vent.

Majority of bouncers in my opinion are human trash. Sorry you guys had a bad night :(

senahorse

Thanks for that, sounds horrible, I liked Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy and would have considered going to see them talk but after reading your experience that's a big nope.

I really like the holy trinity of Mallrats/Chasing May/Dogma.

There was a sequel? :D

I haven't been on the Kevin Smith train since Clerks 2. Never saw Jersey Girl, but Dogma was the one I liked best, it was his least clunky film. The Clerks cartoon series was really funny.

That feeling when you get home from big w with splatoon and 2 amiibos without using the 10% off voucher in my pocket. Then I start playing the game and think, awwwww yeessssss.

I pity the fool without a Wii U.

Bernbaum

My name is Bernie B. Bernbaum, I'm 32 years old, and I just purchase 'amiibos'.

How do I amiibo?

How do I play youse cunts in Splatoon?

Picked up Splatoon last night, played a couple hours. Surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

NNID is same as my Gaf name if anyone is up for a match tonight :)

$389 for a PS4

Thanks for that, sounds horrible, I liked Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy and would have considered going to see them talk but after reading your experience that's a big nope.

Sounds like he started smoking weed non-stop since watching Rogan do it on Zack & Miri and has been basically terrible ever since. Lots of complaints came out of that shitty Cop movie (which I enjoyed parts of, despite terrible writing and direction).

HolyCheck

I've played around 10 ggames online.. i always do well.. top 1 or 2, scores over 1000 most of the time...

but.. I dunno. im enjoying single player more. i'd think i'd enjoy it because i'm doing well.. but maybe the frantic pace isnt for me ..
i dont know. multiplayer online games always stress me out a bit...

HolyCheck

My name is Bernie B. Bernbaum, I'm 32 years old, and I just purchase 'amiibos'.

How do I amiibo?

How do I play youse cunts in Splatoon?

what's your NNID? share that!

you amiibo in lots of ways, you can use them in splatoon if they're splatoon amiibos, or theres some software i forget what itscalled that lets you play demos of nes/snes games. or you can use them in hyrule warriors or other games to receive things!

added everyone who's posted their NNID so far, i'm NiickU

Bernbaum

what's your NNID? share that!

you amiibo in lots of ways, you can use them in splatoon if they're splatoon amiibos, or theres some software i forget what itscalled that lets you play demos of nes/snes games. or you can use them in hyrule warriors or other games to receive things!

added everyone who's posted their NNID so far, i'm NiickU

Will add your NNID.

I haven't been able to get a single online game - constant 118-0516 errors. Fuck this shit.

Rezbit

I've played around 10 ggames online.. i always do well.. top 1 or 2, scores over 1000 most of the time...

but.. I dunno. im enjoying single player more. i'd think i'd enjoy it because i'm doing well.. but maybe the frantic pace isnt for me ..
i dont know. multiplayer online games always stress me out a bit...

I actually find I don't get overly stressed in this, Mario Kart is way worse in that regard for me.

Only up to world 2, but single player seems decent but definitely more of a diversion. Really enjoy the multi when you get a close game (but I guess it's also fun to stomp people).

EDIT: That's weird Bern, I've been playing for a lot of the morning...

Bernbaum

I have no idea why it's not connecting. I fired up MK8 and wrecked some kids in Mississippi, load up Splatoon - same error message. Splatoon connects to the internet, and I can see friendslist members online, but whenever I try to join a public lobby or join friends, I get the error message.

I've even tried fucking around with manual internet connections on the WiiU and assigning different IP addresses. What is happening?

Deeku

i dunno, splatoon is all colourful and fresh looking n all, but it looks kinda meh to me...i assume it's just really fun to play? tho honestly i'd probably be losin ma shit if i actually had a wii u lol..:/

HolyCheck

i dunno, splatoon is all colourful and fresh looking n all, but it looks kinda meh to me...i assume it's just really fun to play? tho honestly i'd probably be losin ma shit if i actually had a wii u lol..:/

sounds like you've been playing it!! (phrase usedi n the game a lot)

Yes. I''ve just played the first few SP levels and beaten the first box. Nintendo still got it.
It feels like Nintendo made a Ratchet and Clank game fused with Jet Set Radio and DeBlob. Worth getting that Wii U for $350 or whatever the current Splatoon bundles are going for. Do they not sell then where you are?

. What is happening?
No idea. But I have never tried online Nintendo stuff outside of the eshop or patches.

Good level variety but finding levels in the hub world gets to be annoying.

First thing I thought when I got to the hub was, ok so where's single player. The gamepad map also seems to be a fast travel option (not far enough into SP to say that for sure)

MoonGred

Guys, Ubud is amazing. I've been here for a week now and the whole atmosphere is so relaxed, everyone is really nice and the weather has been nothing short of amazing. So peaceful compared to Melbourne life.

I even went nuts and bought crystals

Deeku

Yes. I''ve just played the first few SP levels and beaten the first box. Nintendo still got it.
It feels like Nintendo made a Ratchet and Clank game fused with Jet Set Radio and DeBlob. Worth getting that Wii U for $350 or whatever the current Splatoon bundles are going for. Do they not sell then where you are?
They probably have the US bundle, I should really go check. Might wait till after e3 and see what new stuff is coming (even tho there's a pretty decent backlog already).

Yagharek

Is this a good deal? Really wanna join the current gen console world but the ps4 + games deals dont really do it for me.

This is basically the same price as those deals minus the games. I think I paid $598 for mine and it came with 4 games (TLOU, Driveclub, LBP and GTA) which had an RRP of roughly $200 to $250 at the same time.

$398 is basically just the base console from that deal.

You know which games are basically bundle bait. Ubisoft tat like watchdog, asshole and far cry; first party games from last year; and skylanders things.

I reckon it'd be easier just to grab a console when they hit $350 solo.

Bernbaum

Ok I fucking give up. Cannot get this game to play online.

It connects to the internet, it sees my online friends, but I cannot for the life of me connect to a lobby. Every fucking time - a bloody 118-0516 error.

I've tried everything - portforwarding, manually setting an IP address for my WiiU, I've extended my network to my Apple Airport Express and then connected to that and not my router/modem. Doesn't matter what I try - I cannot even enter a lobby.

Other games work fine - I can connect to Mario Kart 8 and race away, just not Splatoon.

Half my Sunday has been spent trying to get this shit to work.

What else can I try?

It's a great price for a PS4, not the cheapest ever though. RRP is still $550 for the console alone. I still think a $50 price drop is possible at E3 going by the latest finance reporting by Sony, they want to build that lead and expand the base as much as possible before Morpheus drops in 9 or so months.

If you don't NEED one right now don't buy it, this price is likely to pop up every 2 months or so at the worst. The games will only get cheaper as they get older, just look at Watch Dogs, Killzone, LBP, Driveclub et al being $18 now at EB.
If you see a must have exclusive or two you desperately want to play, jump in.

It connects to the internet, it sees my online friends, but I cannot for the life of me connect to a lobby. Every fucking time - a bloody 118-0516 error.

I've tried everything - portforwarding, manually setting an IP address for my WiiU, I've extended my network to my Apple Airport Express and then connected to that and not my router/modem. Doesn't matter what I try - I cannot even enter a lobby.

Other games work fine - I can connect to Mario Kart 8 and race away, just not Splatoon.

What else can I try?
Ask Vook to fix it for you.

First thing I thought when I got to the hub was, ok so where's single player. The gamepad map also seems to be a fast travel option (not far enough into SP to say that for sure)
I meant finding each of the single player levels (by shooting at the invisible openings to make them appear), but yeah once you've found a level you can jump there by tapping on it on the gamepad.

A convenient thing in the Inkopolis plaza is when you're in one of the shops, you can use the shoulder buttons to switch through which store you're in.

N0VAM0D

Getting keen for the SydGAF meetup! Extremely nervous, but I think we will have a great (drunk) time.

Sorry but I had to vent.

That's extremely appalling. I'm sorry dude.

*screeches*

I still haven't saved up the money for one yet. Maybe I should wait until a bit after E3, there will probably be some new deals with a bunch of new games in them or something. I hope.

Omikron

What else can I try?
PC gaming is hard. You are just going to have to deal with its drawbacks.

What else can I try?
Do you have PS+? You need that for online play.

It could be reported to the Australian Human Rights Commission if your friend reports it himself or gives you the authority to on his behalf. https://www.humanrights.gov.au/complaints/make-complaint

Also it seems the hotel has a twitter account, if this is it: https://twitter.com/CarmensMiranda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom