• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of the AusGAF industry contacts confirm the Aussie release date for GT5? Are we looking at November 24 (same as Europe), or will it be 25?

legend166

I just spent the last four hours in my brothers jungle of a backyard pulling down a tin shed. It is boiling hot and there were spiders everywhere. Now to the tip.

Ydahs

Shaneus said:
It's been raining here all day as well... from what I can tell, from about midnight and still going.

Fake edit: Just saw an ad for a battery operated water pistol. This generation is made up of weaksauce little humans.
Melbourne? As soon as I read this post, the rain intensified twofold. Hoping there are thunder storms tonight, though a power outage will be disastrous with an exam on Monday...

TheFury

Where's the cheapest place to buy Black Ops on PC? Get someone to gift it to me from the US on Steam? Asking for a friend also.

It's also raining a fair bit here (near Geelong).

Mar

Christ, what a day, and it hasn't even finished yet. Been running around since 8am.

My dog lost the ability to walk on her back legs. Raced off to the vege markets then house inspections, then meeting endlessflood (thanks so much man, the Bayonetta and Vanquish stuff are awesome. Felt bad having to grab it all and run), then racing off for another inspection that we just made. Then, to the emergency vet for medication, home, crawl under the house to my sick dog to apply said medication, now lying down after taking 5 nurofen with a splitting headache.

I can has video game and beer?

Mar

Agyar said:
Less than 8/10, why so low?

I know you're dropping a meme, but I really struggled scoring this game. When I first started playing it I thought it would be our first 9, but after finishing it I was hovering around 7 or 8. I felt bad giving it a 7 but the reality is, I probably will never play it again. I just did not have fun in the later sections.

Having said that, I'm totally buying the PC version. It has the dude from VVVVVV, and that's reason enough for me to double dip.

Also, we really need to do a sydgaf meet. I owe endlessflood a number of rounds of beers. Who's motivated toward one? I don't think we can wait for Manabar, they don't seem to be talking about Sydney anymore.

Cohsae

I spent most of my Saturday riding in one of these badboys hooning around Lake Macquarie.
wallpaper_features1%285%29.jpg

Fucking awesome.
No sexy lady though.

Rahk

Mar said:
Also, we really need to do a sydgaf meet. I owe endlessflood a number of rounds of beers. Who's motivated toward one? I don't think we can wait for Manabar, they don't seem to be talking about Sydney anymore.
Yes! Fuck the Manabar. Video games aren't a necessity with alcohol.

Now someone just needs to organise something..

Shaneus

Ydahs said:
Melbourne? As soon as I read this post, the rain intensified twofold. Hoping there are thunder storms tonight, though a power outage will be disastrous with an exam on Monday...
Geelong, actually. It hasn't been pissing down but it's been constant since the morning, if not longer.

PS. Any plans I may have mentioned I had today went out the window when I bought Dead Rising 2 for PC. Once I found out you can get decent amounts of money online, I've been playing the TIR (TV's Gladiators-style) ranked game... it's fucking crack!

MrSerrels

endlessflood said:
Can any of the AusGAF industry contacts confirm the Aussie release date for GT5? Are we looking at November 24 (same as Europe), or will it be 25?

25th for sure, I got contacted this morning about it. 100% happening.

Against my better judgement while out shopping last night I thought I'd look around for Black Ops on 360. Only found it at JB for $89 (I'm sure I heard it was $79, so cheaped out and kept looking). Two Kmarts were sold out with a 24-hour one telling me they sold out of their allotment at the midnight launch.

So maybe I'm being told I shouldn't bother.

Danoss

Mar said:
Sounds interesting, even if there is only a small handful of us. I may be interested, though I'm an antisocial arsehole.

Mar

Danoss said:
Sounds interesting, even if there is only a small handful of us. I may be interested, though I'm an antisocial arsehole.
We're GAF members. Everyone's an antisocial asshole.

I'll see what I can organise. Any suggestions on venue? CBD or inner suburbs?

Clipper

Mar said:
I'd be in, but I go to Singapore for two weeks starting next weekend.

Also, Manabar Sydney was delayed until 2011. It has a Facebook page which says as much.

Mar said:
We're GAF members. Everyone's an antisocial asshole.

I'll see what I can organise. Any suggestions on venue? CBD or inner suburbs?
My vote goes to The Rocks. I'm partial to the Lowenbrau, Belgian Beer Cafe or Australian Bar, but my local bar knowledge is really only limited to those three anyway.

Rahk

First motorbike ride in light traffic and I didn't kill myself, woo. A bug flew into my eye though. Lesson learned. Use the visor.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
Steve Gaynor is moving his career to Irrational Games to work on Bioshock Infinite!

I anticipate great things.
as of right now I'm still in the process of anticipating Minerva's Den PC!

hirokazu

endlessflood said:
The PlayStation EU blog seems to make it pretty clear that it's November 24 for everyone (except Japan).

EDIT:
AnkhWeasel said:
Retailers have said the 25th.
Fuuuuuu..... God fucking damn I hate Sony right now.

Mar

Clipper said:
I'd be in, but I go to Singapore for two weeks starting next weekend.

Also, Manabar Sydney was delayed until 2011. It has a Facebook page which says as much.

My vote goes to The Rocks. I'm partial to the Lowenbrau, Belgian Beer Cafe or Australian Bar, but my local bar knowledge is really only limited to those three anyway.

Hmm. You're still around Friday? Perhaps we could do a Friday thing. Doesn't the Lowenbrau require a cover charge or something? Otherwise I'm keen on The Rocks too, love that entire area. Though it's hard to get to kind of...

What say everyone? This Friday at The Rocks at a to be determined venue? Let's do this shit.

Rahk

Mar said:
Hmm. You're still around Friday? Perhaps we could do a Friday thing. Doesn't the Lowenbrau require a cover charge or something? Otherwise I'm keen on The Rocks too, love that entire area. Though it's hard to get to kind of...

What say everyone? This Friday at The Rocks at a to be determined venue? Let's do this shit.
I'd probably be up for that.

Clipper

Yeah, I always just catch the bus out to Circular Quay when I go out there. I fly out Sunday morning, so Friday is fine for me.

I'm not sure if there's a Lowenbrau cover charge. I always get a meal when I go there, which probably explains why I haven't noticed it. In any case, I don't really mind where we go.

Shaneus

Well, my keytar will be here tomorow. I ordered it on the 7th. WHAT THE FUCK?!?

Now, because I thought it was coming mid-Dec (when I'd be home) it's getting delivered to my home address. Anyone know if I can change the delivery address to something else (or even my brother's work, who works in the same city... I don't) before then? Otherwise I'll just have to leave them a note to leave it with a neighbour or something and hope it's okay.

PS. Despite being careful last night, I've woken up with no voice and a sore-arse throat. Fucking hell.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
Well, my keytar will be here tomorow. I ordered it on the 7th. WHAT THE FUCK?!?

Now, because I thought it was coming mid-Dec (when I'd be home) it's getting delivered to my home address. Anyone know if I can change the delivery address to something else (or even my brother's work, who works in the same city... I don't) before then? Otherwise I'll just have to leave them a note to leave it with a neighbour or something and hope it's okay.

PS. Despite being careful last night, I've woken up with no voice and a sore-arse throat. Fucking hell.
Given that you know it's arriving tomorrow, I guess this is delivered by courier? You can try calling the courier company and changing the delivery address as the recipient, but they sometime need the sender's permission for that. You want to try to do it today if their lines are open, or otherwise call at their opening time to try to get them before it gets onto the truck.

In the worst case, you should be able to arrange a time to redeliver via the company. They usually try again the following day automatically, but if you'll be back later in the week, you can probably tell them to wait until then.

Shaneus

It's DHL... I'm surprised they don't (seem to) have that kind of facility. Well, not surprised, but if anyone would have it, it'd be them.

I might just leave them a note to leave it at my brother's doorstep... he's in the same block of flats but is further away from the street. They could leave it there and he could grab it at lunch.

Excited about getting it, though... moreso that I can use it on my PC than anything else :lol

Clipper

Shaneus said:
It's DHL... I'm surprised they don't (seem to) have that kind of facility. Well, not surprised, but if anyone would have it, it'd be them.

I might just leave them a note to leave it at my brother's doorstep... he's in the same block of flats but is further away from the street. They could leave it there and he could grab it at lunch.

Excited about getting it, though... moreso that I can use it on my PC than anything else :lol
It's couriered. They'll need a signature. It doesn't have to be yours, but they won't leave it on a doorstep. I don't think they're allowed to follow notes left on doors either. Anybody could just leave a fake note asking the courier to deliver your stuff to them.

Rahk

Clipper said:
It's couriered. They'll need a signature. It doesn't have to be yours, but they won't leave it on a doorstep. I don't think they're allowed to follow notes left on doors either. Anybody could just leave a fake note asking the courier to deliver your stuff to them.
If no one is home they usually leave a card so you can call them up and organise a time, or they'll just try again the next day and you can sign the card so they'll leave it at the doorstep.

But yeah, they probably won't be able to follow a hand written note saying to leave it somewhere else.

Bernbaum

This gen has it's high-profile new franchises, your Bioshocks, Portals, Uncharteds, Gears of Wars, Assassin's Creeds et al., but having just this moment wrapped up a long-overdue playthrough of the first Mass Effect, it really stands out as something special.

A fantastic mix of oldschool RPG depth with all the flourishes that make current-gen games sparkle. I thought it would be showing signs of tiredness (2007 seems like an age ago), but it holds up remarkably.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
This gen has it's high-profile new franchises, your Bioshocks, Portals, Uncharteds, Gears of Wars, Assassin's Creeds et al., but having just this moment wrapped up a long-overdue playthrough of the first Mass Effect, it really stands out as something special.

A fantastic mix of oldschool RPG depth with all the flourishes that make current-gen games sparkle. I thought it would be showing signs of tiredness (2007 seems like an age ago), but it holds up remarkably.

The first Mass Effect is one my favourite games, both of this generation and all time.

elektrixx

Banned
CryptiK said:
Time to build my epic Wii Library first off.
I did all that this year. It's good to wait after hype and failed promises to ignore things I would've bought in the past like Mario Party 8, The Conduit and many others.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't deal with how clunky everything was in ME1. I liked the focus on characters rather than the generic 'END OF THE WORLD' story in ME2. I had more fun just existing in ME2, I could play a whole game about just doing that: meeting new crew members, doing the odd task and so on.

Granted, the super-gratuitous MISSION COMPLETE screen and super-compartmentalised/transparent EXPLORE ROOM -> COMBAT ROOM -> REWARD in ME2 did get a little old by the end of the game.

I'd play ME2 again in a heartbeat, time permitting, whereas I only played ME1 again to try out the PC controls and have a file ready for ME2 PC. I didn't feel like the inventory or level-up system was very rewarding in ME1, so I didn't miss it in ME2. That is to say, its absence didn't take away from the bits of the game I got the most enjoyment from.

Bernbaum

In the interest of staying spoiler-free, I avoided paying too much attention to the ME2 discussion on the Bombcast, but there is unanimous agreement between those guys and their preference of the sequel. Gerstman praised the lightened RPG components in favour of an emphasis on shooting. I'm not sure how that sits with me. Mass Effect's rich universe and cast of characters was part of the appeal and I liked that I could take things at my own pace. Keep in mind, on my just-completed playthrough, I did everything - every side quest, every mineral and gas resource (geology fuck yea!) to the point where I had an excess of every quest item. Even though I had maxed out credits (10 million credits is the limit), paragon points and hit level 50 like, 5 hours before the endgame, I kept on taking on quests! It chewed away at my OCD but I savoured it all the same.

My spoiler-avoiding resolve was tight enough to the point that I'm not even sure if there's a Mako and planetary exploration in it or not, and I go in with high but reserved expectations.

legend166

Bernbaum said:
In the interest of staying spoiler-free, I avoided paying too much attention to the ME2 discussion on the Bombcast, but there is unanimous agreement between those guys and their preference of the sequel. Gerstman praised the lightened RPG components in favour of an emphasis on shooting. I'm not sure how that sits with me. Mass Effect's rich universe and cast of characters was part of the appeal and I liked that I could take things at my own pace. Keep in mind, on my just-completed playthrough, I did everything - every side quest, every mineral and gas resource (geology fuck yea!) to the point where I had an excess of every quest item. Even though I had maxed out credits (10 million credits is the limit), paragon points and hit level 50 like, 5 hours before the endgame, I kept on taking on quests! It chewed away at my OCD but I savoured it all the same.

My spoiler-avoiding resolve was tight enough to the point that I'm not even sure if there's a Mako and planetary exploration in it or not, and I go in with high but reserved expectations.

The sequel is much more of a Point A to Point B shooter. Planetary exploration is reduced to a minigame where you're all "oh wow, this is neat" to "arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why do I have to do this?!?!?" in about 2 hours.

Fredescu

I have kind of a completionist streak when it comes to RPGs. I want to do everything and go everywhere. Sometimes I get bored of doing this half way through and just make a beeline for the end, but in the beginning I like to at least try. Mass Effect crumbles into bits when I try to apply my natural playstyle to it. It took me a few tries before I could actually bring myself to finish it, and I had to keep telling myself over and over to stick to the main quest and do nothing else. To me the first half of that game represents a dreary chore. It's a decent enough game if you walk the tightrope of the main quest, but completely falls apart otherwise. Mass Effect 2 never felt like a chore to me.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Hopefully Mass Effect 3 will combine the good parts of the 2 games.

1 had the superior story and I enjoyed having the variety of weapons/armor (just not the interface for managing them). It was repetitive, but driving around random planets was cool and made the world feel large.
2 had the superior gameplay and was much more solid technically. Also had better DLC.

Both are fantastic though IMO.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
I have kind of a completionist streak when it comes to RPGs. I want to do everything and go everywhere. Sometimes I get bored of doing this half way through and just make a beeline for the end, but in the beginning I like to at least try. Mass Effect crumbles into bits when I try to apply my natural playstyle to it. It took me a few tries before I could actually bring myself to finish it, and I had to keep telling myself over and over to stick to the main quest and do nothing else. To me the first half of that game represents a dreary chore. It's a decent enough game if you walk the tightrope of the main quest, but completely falls apart otherwise. Mass Effect 2 never felt like a chore to me.
I played the game in two parts, and it satisfied my completionist urges.

1) Pick up Liara and do every fucking sidequest, explore every bloody planet, do everything in the DLC, get to about level 30-40, do Feros and polish of the rest of the newly opened sidequests.

2) Noveria, Virmire, Ilos, end game, bam.

Part 1 takes about 30 hours though. Most of the fun is in part 2. A leveled-up shotgun with some neat perks is like a pure sex cannon, even at range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom