• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Best. Morning. Ever.

fergie-4-nil.jpg

Oh and playing Choc's boy this weekend. :lol

Choc

Banned
Anyone seriously think we are going to get the World Cup?

I love Frank Lowy. Europeans are arguing about tv times and he says Europe needs to realise its not the centre of the world, no where is. No matter where you have a world cup someone has to be up at 4am to watch it, and for once it should not be us

you tell em boy

US is favourite but what the fuck they only had it 15 years ago. Also why would FIFA put it in a country which couldnt give two fucks about mens soccer (womens is another story for some reason).

If FIFA gives it to USA its very very short sighted. Lowy is right when he says 1/3 of the worlds population will be in asia in 2022 ready to watch on tv's......

Omikron

Really not confident on the WC bid, I will fucking spew if Qatar get it though.... how a WC could be hosted in basically 1 city is beyond me. If Bin Hamman wasn't vice pres, they would have been laughed out the door I am sure of it.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Really not confident on the WC bid, I will fucking spew if Qatar get it though.... how a WC could be hosted in basically 1 city is beyond me. If Bin Hamman wasn't vice pres, they would have been laughed out the door I am sure of it.

The thing that does give confidence is that UEFA delegates have promised that because Australia pulled out of 2018 they will have the European vote.

If they turn their back on that then UEFA are a disgrace and corrupt. The FIFA corruption shit that is going on is fucked its just like the IOC .We remain squeaky clean and because of that are punished by fucks who cheat and might win.

As soon as its proven you're bid has corruption involved you should be kicked out. if that leaves Australia or England or whoever only, then so be fucking it.

I honestly think if the US get it then its just bullshit. Like i said no one gives a fuck about football there and they never will.

Omikron

Choc said:
The thing that does give confidence is that UEFA delegates have promised that because Australia pulled out of 2018 they will have the European vote.

If they turn their back on that then UEFA are a disgrace and corrupt. The FIFA corruption shit that is going on is fucked its just like the IOC .We remain squeaky clean and because of that are punished by fucks who cheat and might win.

As soon as its proven you're bid has corruption involved you should be kicked out. if that leaves Australia or England or whoever only, then so be fucking it.

I honestly think if the US get it then its just bullshit. Like i said no one gives a fuck about football there and they never will.

I agree on the corruption part, but to think we are completely innocent of any bending of gifting rules and the like, I would be very careful :lol Who knows what we have been up to behind the scenes... we have been VERY quiet publicly in the lead up to the vote.

I think what hurt us was the AFLs position in particular. They were total *expletive removed due to not knowing limitations of GAF* about the stadium usage, but making it out that it was all the FFAs fault etc etc. Wankers.

MrSerrels

Choc said:

I'm not too up on the politics of it, but I think Australia's got a great chance - great sporting facilities, awesome place, new angle. Personally I would lose my shit (in a good way) if Australia got the World Cup.

I can see no reason why Australia can't host.

Fredescu

Whatever their motivations, I don't think there's a doubt in the world that a cup hosted by the USA would bring in more revenue than one hosted here.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Whatever their motivations, I don't think there's a doubt in the world that a cup hosted by the USA would bring in more revenue than one hosted here.

Now i know why FIFA changed their slogan. It used to be for the good of the game, but taking money over expansion of the sport clearly is what they want....

The new slogan is For the Game For the World

It should be

For the Game For the World*

*as long as you are corrupt fucks and are in a european time zone

Let's not forget (and thsi report probably does not take this into account) that America is an economic meltdown at the moment and the risk around funding drying up could be huge

If we don't win it, i think we should go for a Womens World Cup to prove our credentials. Having a top 10 team in the world should assist with that.....

Having refereed the Matildas, they are a bloody good team :)

Fredescu

5% of a really big number is still a pretty big number. Sure it won't be decided on that entirely, but it's a factor, especially the TV viewers thing. "They've had it before" isn't a strike against the USA either, look at '84 Los Angeles and '96 Atlanta. I really hope we get it, but a lot of things are stacked against us.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
5% of a really big number is still a pretty big number. Sure it won't be decided on that entirely, but it's a factor, especially the TV viewers thing. "They've had it before" isn't a strike against the USA either, look at '84 Los Angeles and '96 Atlanta. I really hope we get it, but a lot of things are stacked against us.

Not disagreeing its not a big number, but the way the voting system works, I think the fact all the others but the US are similar standing is a thing in our favour in some ways...

I believe they vote, bottom vote getter is knocked out, re-vote, knocked out again until it gets down to 2...

We really need someone like Qatar or Korea knocked out first as I think all their votes would head our way. Going to be tight.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Not disagreeing its not a big number, but the way the voting system works, I think the fact all the others but the US are similar standing is a thing in our favour in some ways...

I believe they vote, bottom vote getter is knocked out, re-vote, knocked out again until it gets down to 2...

We really need someone like Qatar or Korea knocked out first as I think all their votes would head our way. Going to be tight.

yep thats how it works

Korea will go first because of the timezone and the fact they had it already. QATAR should go because its a load of shit bid.

Then its Aus vs USA

they just need to do what Sydney 2000 did to get it over line, mention the words, we will never bid again if you do not give it this time. That won the IOC over... ;)

of cousre it was bullshit but hey!

rass

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Rendering, maybe?
Isn't bern a paleontologist or a scientist or something?

maybe it's for simulations?

I wish I had a 4gb graphics card, photoshop would sing like a bitch for me

It's going to be hard to resist grabbing DKCR when I'm in JB picking up my copy of Spartacus: Blood & Sand on blu-ray this arvo

gratuitous sex and violence FTW

rass said:
Isn't bern a paleontologist or a scientist or something?

maybe it's for simulations?

I wish I had a 4gb graphics card, photoshop would sing like a bitch for me
Geologist.

So, yeah, probably simulations or modelling the insides of mountains (or something). I know that if I ever use an AutoCAD model that's too big, my work PC chugs something chronic.

rass

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Geologist.

So, yeah, probably simulations or modelling the insides of mountains (or something). I know that if I ever use an AutoCAD model that's too big, my work PC chugs something chronic.
Badass, one of my mates is studying to be a geologist.
If I open anything my work computer chugs. Not really, but we frequently work on >1gb photoshop files and iMacs are NOT designed for such a task. This fact is driven home when my laptop is 2 years older, has 2gb less ram and is faster :/

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Choc said:

I love Frank Lowy. Europeans are arguing about tv times and he says Europe needs to realise its not the centre of the world, no where is. No matter where you have a world cup someone has to be up at 4am to watch it, and for once it should not be us

you tell em boy

US is favourite but what the fuck they only had it 15 years ago. Also why would FIFA put it in a country which couldnt give two fucks about mens soccer (womens is another story for some reason).

If FIFA gives it to USA its very very short sighted. Lowy is right when he says 1/3 of the worlds population will be in asia in 2022 ready to watch on tv's......

I think we are a fairly good chance.

Although I don't agree with your reasons to why the US shouldn't get it. 2022 is 28 years after 1994, I think that is probably long enough. Also the 1994 cup was the most attended ever (large stadiums).

teekun

Can somebody tell me why the hell Japan and Korea are even entering a bid for the 2022 World Cup? By the time it rolls around it will have only been 20 years since they hosted it. Do they seriously think they have a chance?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My Hard drives have turned up, Now i just need to hope i can get them home in once piece.

Also got some dust filters for 3 of my fans. I wonder how poorly they will work.

Omikron

evlcookie said:
My Hard drives have turned up, Now i just need to hope i can get them home in once piece.

Also got some dust filters for 3 of my fans. I wonder how poorly they will work.

Depends how decent the seal is around the fans/placement of filter I suppose. Reminds me I need to clean out my PC at some point soon. Sigh.

Anyway, steam sale is over, thankfully. Full damage list.

Star Wars: KOTOR
Dirt 2
Indie Puzzle Pack
Indie Clever Pack
Indie Story Pack
Indie Energy Pack

Not bad for ~27.50USD

Choc

Banned
they can't give the USA the world cup because they called goals the go ahead goal and RELEASE THE KRAKEN

it would be farcical

MrSerrels

If any of you guys are on twitter, you should hop on and search the hashtag #gamescore.

Pretty epic discussion going on about review scores.

I'm @Serrels by the way.

Choc said:
they can't give the USA the world cup because they called goals the go ahead goal and RELEASE THE KRAKEN

I must know less about football than I thought, cos I have no idea what any of this means.

pilonv1

MrSerrels said:
If any of you guys are on twitter, you should hop on and search the hashtag #gamescore.

I'm @Serrels by the way.

I would argue that discussing scoring is probably not tackling the real problem. But I think someone has made that point already.

Kritz

Banned
MrSerrels said:

I'm @Serrels by the way.

I give that conversation a 5/5 stars - kritz.net

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
MSY Updated their website. Holy shit!

Also Klipsch headphones for iphone? yay or nay? if nay what brand should i look at ?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Delivery coming soon could be in 2012. However, if they actually get it up and running correctly, buying products online via msy could be outstanding.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:

Also Klipsch headphones for iphone? yay or nay? if nay what brand should i look at ?
Yup. I just hope that it's not so streamlined that the particular item I'm looking for is sold out. Hence why I'm not mentioning said particular item in this post.

Edit: They actually had an online store before this one, which was really only good for checking stock levels and reserving items for pickup.

markot

Banned
Anyone wanting BFBC2: Vietnam should pre order post haste on Steam, its $5 bucks more on the EA store and I assume it will be that price on Steam soon too for us Aussies >.<

And the MSY site went from 'Ow my eyes' to 'What is this 1999 >.>'

Agyar

MrSerrels said:

I'm @Serrels by the way.

I added a few things and forgot to include the hashtag, then couldn't be bothered editing them. The problem I see with review scores is an assumption of consistency across all review outlets by consumers when it comes to scoring scales and the ouroboric effect this has on those outlets to make their reviews relevant to Metacritic and its audience. It's pointless for a review outlet to put any thought into their review scale if their criteria don't match the homogenised ouputs provided by Metacritic and as consumers adapt their expectations to match, it becomes even more important for the review to maintain relevance.

Further, I feel that most reviewers inadvertantly award Michelin stars as a result of this homogenisation. Take for example the 1-10 scale; in reality anything from 1-7 is has underperformed and it's only 8, 9 and 10 that garner attention. Similarly on a 1-5 scale, 1-2 are reviewed as poor and 3-5 worthly of consideration. The review outlets are bagged for subscribing to this method but in reality, who's fault is this, theirs or ours?

For reference, the Michelin guide awards one to three stars to a small number of restaurants of outstanding quality. One star indicates a "very good cuisine in its category", a two-star ranking represents "excellent cuisine, worth a detour," and three stars are awarded to restaurants offering "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey" (from Wikipedia).

CryptiK

WTF you guys on about... Some MSY stores do deliver I got my whole computer(of parts) delivered from MSY Slacks Creek..

Salazar

codswallop said:
We flew an Etihad flight from Melbourne direct to Abu Dhabi and every seat had under-seating power.

I've loved flying with Etihad every time. Couldn't stand the stopovers in Abu Dhabi though.

Fredescu said:
Pretty sure it's Slacks Creek and only Slacks Creek.

Slacks Crack amirite?

Edit: Cookie, after no updates for nearly a week, I emailed PCCG for an update. He says he believes the RAM is the issue but hasn't been able to get it to recreate the freezing or anything. He also said he wants to figure out what the issue is so he doesn't mail me back bung parts and hopes he can figure it out and get my parts back to me by the end of the week. So he'll have to get it working by tomorrow.

Here's hoping!

ManeKast

Permission for 'special leave' from work, came in at 7am so I can leave at 8:45am to go pick up DKCR. I am so pumped for this.

Question: anyone remember the Australian TV show that aired around 3 months before DKC on SNES in the 90s showing the first footage (pre internet) of DKC? I taped it and watched it obsessively but cant recall what show it was. Its a long shot but, I thought if anywhere this was the forum to ask.

Salazar said:
I've loved flying with Etihad every time. Couldn't stand the stopovers in Abu Dhabi though.
Yeah it's not a terribly exciting place. I've had worse, though (six hours in KL when the airport was still being built was an exercise in tedium).

evlcookie said:
I thought that must mean end times are here. But then I saw the ol' PDF price list was still there and now feel relieved.

Edit: Has anyone seen those new Optus internet plans? They've caught up with the big boys and are offering 1TB downloads. Coupled with the 100Mb speeds it seems like internet in Australia is becoming legit. If you live on the east coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom