• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
So I'm playing NFS: Hot Pursuit, having a blast, then the 'please reconnect controller' prompt connects on my screen. It was an odd thing to happen until I noticed Oh my god my racing wheel is making noises and smoke is coming out of it!.

Damn thing. Now I need a replacement....

Why were you using a wheel for NFS in the first place and how was it over a controller?

Yug is doing a "ask me anything" on the manabar over at reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/egyxo/iama_owner_of_the_mana_bar_the_video_game/
Yes to both venues - as our staff memebers from Brisbane Cormac and Meg will be relocating to Melbourne. Email shay@manabar.com.au if you are interested in working at the Mana Bar.
Someone in melb get a job and get us free drinks

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You asked for it, so we made it happen. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will be coming to Steam soon!
You asked for it, so we made it happen. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will be coming to Steam soon!

Ausgaf christmas buy confirmed.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:

Ausgaf christmas buy confirmed.
Where was that announced?

Choc

Banned
I told you it would come to steam one various deals were expired.......

Omi newcastle utd are a disgrace and deserve relegation

Kritz

Banned
So what time is everybody starting the end of their lives at tonight? 7pm?

I look forward to many more chances to flourish the word Camapacalism, also.

Omikron

Kritz said:
So what time is everybody starting the end of their lives at tonight? 7pm?

I look forward to many more chances to flourish the word Camapacalism, also.

More L4D tonight in protest? ;)

Kritz

Banned
Shaneus said:
What's that for... WoW? Minecraft? Thankfully I've gotten into neither, so I'm safe.

For now... :lol

Minecraft is the start of a new and franky better life.

World of Warcraft, on the other hand, is REBORN AGAIN with a Black Dragon expansion (Not starring Jeffe Green, the terrorist) where you get to pay $20 for a horse and press hotkeys and look like a stupid fish man.

I'm... so tired. :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I will probably be on around 8 Kritz. Gotta get home, watch castle, have dinner and a shower then jump on.

Depending on which train/bus i get it could be 8 or 8:30. Give or take a few. I will probably only play for an hour and watch some gsl in another window.

Hopefully there's a decent turnout :D

Also Kritz there's a good chance the servers will be getting hammered. So the chance of getting on could be slim :lol

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
Why were you using a wheel for NFS in the first place and how was it over a controller?
It's fun!

I plugged in the wheel out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised with how well the game supported it. You're right- it seems counter-intuitive to playing a super-arcadey game like NFS with a wheel, but it works very well. I'm finding that taking that last-second turn to catch a shortcut is now effortless and using weapons is much easier as they are normally mapped to the d-pad on the gamepad, requiring the player to briefly lift their thumb from the analog stick in order to initiate them. The feel of the game is a lot better too - I can gauge my speed around turns much better (like any racing game played with pedals) and risky driving into onwards-coming traffic is an absolute cinch. 30 mins after playing with the wheel, I'd smashed a bunch of times on my Autolog (most of them Mar's or Remz's!).

I got the wheel for Forza, but spent most of my time with it on PGR4. I'm always surprised at the variety of ways different games use the wheel and of just how different an arcade racer feels on a wheel to a sim.

It works so well in fact, that I will not be continuing on with a gamepad and will be re-purchasing a new racing wheel.

Choc

Banned
a politician with a brain? what next pigs flying

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/why-the-government-backs-an-R18-games-rating/

that is the greatest piece of litrature and most sensible i have read EVER on this debate

if he goes to the AG's with that, how on EARTH can they deny restricting that which already should not be with kids being kids

plus the fact 91% of adults surveyed knew that R18 was not for kids but MA15 they might reconsider giving to their kids if they felt them mature enough

Shaneus

Choc said:
a politician with a brain? what next pigs flying

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/why-the-government-backs-an-R18-games-rating/

that is the greatest piece of litrature and most sensible i have read EVER on this debate

if he goes to the AG's with that, how on EARTH can they deny restricting that which already should not be with kids being kids

plus the fact 91% of adults surveyed knew that R18 was not for kids but MA15 they might reconsider giving to their kids if they felt them mature enough
I still can't get over that :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Legend. With speakers you really have to go and listen to them all. See which ones suit your needs. OCAU and whirlpool might be good local forums to check out as well.

I wouldn't mind ditching my Z680s but at the same time i live in a shoebox so i don't really listen to much at a loud volume.

Choc said:
England on Fire

Australian Cricket 1900 - 2010
Team has too low a turnover rate. When each crop of stars retires, they do so at around the same time so you basically replace the entire team overnight. That's no way to build a backlog of up-and-coming talent.

Choc

Banned
England Win

Thats that then, the series is finished. Australia win 2 out of the last 3? Not without a miracle

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Team has too low a turnover rate. When each crop of stars retires, they do so at around the same time so you basically replace the entire team overnight. That's no way to build a backlog of up-and-coming talent.

I think it also has to do with players waiting until after a certain event to retire, ie. the Ashes or World Cup.

Omikron

Australia needs to pull their fucking finger out.

Katich out (injury) for Hughes.
North out for Smith
Johnson in for Doherty
Bollinger out for Hilfenhaus (who should never have been dropped anyways)

Need to take 20 wickets.

legend166

evlcookie said:
Legend. With speakers you really have to go and listen to them all. See which ones suit your needs. OCAU and whirlpool might be good local forums to check out as well.

I wouldn't mind ditching my Z680s but at the same time i live in a shoebox so i don't really listen to much at a loud volume.

I'll have a look, thanks.

Australian Cricket needs to look at the AFL model of recruiting, fostering and bringing through new talent.

Obviously not every side has it right, but in general, AFL sides are pretty good at bringing kids through without dropping too far. The Pies and the Swans would be the two best sides to look to for a good model.

Fredescu

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Australian Cricket needs to look at the AFL model of recruiting, fostering and bringing through new talent.
The two situations aren't even vaguely related. You're talking about a pool of what, 440 players being able to bring youth through? Compared to a having the best team of 11 in the world. Which by the way was one of the best teams in history for a good ten years.

Agyar

legend166 said:

You can definitely get a decent 5.1 setup for about $1000. When I have some more time later this afternoon I'll send you some links and info.

Edit: Whirlpool can be a double-edged sword, there's a dominant school of though that entry level audio will cost you thousands of dollars and spending any less is a waste of your money. You have to sift through a lot of people recommending stupid shit that costs twice as much money as you have to get solid info for your requirements.

Fredescu said:
The two situations aren't even vaguely related. You're talking about a pool of what, 440 players being able to bring youth through? Compared to a having the best team of 11 in the world. Which by the way was one of the best teams in history for a good ten years.

I'm aware of that, but during that period of dominance, why weren't we bringing at least a few young kids through to learn the ropes while we were dominating?

As 9th or 10th down the line or something? Granted I don't 'get' cricket much, I'm not a huge fan, but surely the AFL model would work in Cricket.

From 05-10, Collingwood was playing kids consistently despite playing in finals in all those years bar 05. This meant, that even once we lost Buckley, Burns, Clement etc, we had basically ready made players stepping in and taking over.

I don't see why during that era of utter dominance we couldn't have blooded 2-3 younger cricketers at various stages since during that time we were rarely if ever in danger of losing.

Omi said:
First work out what sort you want. Bookshelf/Floor standing.

Then, work out your budget.

Without those few things, you are going to struggle, just a ridiculous number of options.
This is pretty much the best advice given so far. Also need to figure out if you want to just buy it all in one hit and don't want to upgrade in the future. If you do, an all-in-one package might be OK, otherwise you can buy it piecemeal and upgrade over a couple of years.

If you're watching movies and playing games, but not much music, bookshelf are probably fine. If you want to listen to a lot of music floorstanders might be a better bet.

Forget the packs that include "subs" as they are usually not true subwoofers. With floorstanders you'll get enough bass, though a subwoofer truly adds another dimension. But they're expensive.

Fredescu

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm aware of that, but during that period of dominance, why weren't we bringing at least a few young kids through to learn the ropes while we were dominating?
The young kids play in tour matches and at state level. Cricket is based on individual skill far more than any other team sport. In something like AFL you really have to gel with the team. In cricket, 95% of the game is one bowler vs one batsman. The "team" only exists at a broader strategic and psychological level. You don't need to practice with a particular team to be able to slot in well if the skill is there.

There is a broader issue of getting to learn how to bat or bowl in overseas conditions, but that's what tour matches are for, and they're probably the only valid case of "blooding new talent" in cricket, which every team already does.

No amount of "blooding new talent" is going to magic us up a new Warne, McGrath, or Gilchrist. Those three are all time greats and we were ridiculously lucky to have them in the same team all at once. Our talent pool is not looking so great at the moment, but our domestic game is still among the best in the world. It's only a matter of time before we're competitive again.

legend166

2 Minutes Turkish said:

As 9th or 10th down the line or something? Granted I don't 'get' cricket much, I'm not a huge fan, but surely the AFL model would work in Cricket.

From 05-10, Collingwood was playing kids consistently despite playing in finals in all those years bar 05. This meant, that even once we lost Buckley, Burns, Clement etc, we had basically ready made players stepping in and taking over.

I don't see why during that era of utter dominance we couldn't have blooded 2-3 younger cricketers at various stages since during that time we were rarely if ever in danger of losing.

Definitely :p

You can't compare the two.

An AFL team has 22 players. You can play a few youngsters and it won't have a massive impact on the side. A cricket team has 11 players. And within that, there's generally only 6 batsman, a keeper, and four bowlers. So if you decide you want to blood a youngster for the sake of it (let's say a bowler) your bowling attacking is now 25% inexperienced.

On top of that, from 1995 to 2007 we probably had the second best bowling attack in the history of cricket (behind the West Indies of the 80s). McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and [insert Lee/Kaspa/Bichel/MacGill]. You can't drop them for the sake of blooding a youngster. You just have to hope the Shield competition is doing enough to get the next group up to standard.

People don't seem to realise it, but Australia was hit quite hard by injuries. If all went to plan, a fit 31 year old Jason Gillespie would have been leading our attack after McGrath retired. The problem is, Gillespie's body couldn't hold up and he was forced into an early retirement. Same with Brett Lee.

The thing is at the moment, it's not about playing young players for the sake of it. Steve Smith is better than Marcus North. It doesn't even matter that he's only 21, that's just a bonus. Same with Khawaja, O'Keefe and Hughes.

legend166

Fredescu said:
The young kids play in tour matches and at state level. Cricket is based on individual skill far more than any other team sport. In something like AFL you really have to gel with the team. In cricket, 95% of the game is one bowler vs one batsman. The "team" only exists at a broader strategic and psychological level. You don't need to practice with a particular team to be able to slot in well if the skill is there.

There is a broader issue of getting to learn how to bat or bowl in overseas conditions, but that's what tour matches are for, and they're probably the only valid case of "blooding new talent" in cricket, which every team already does.

No amount of "blooding new talent" is going to magic us up a new Warne, McGrath, or Gilchrist. Those three are all time greats and we were ridiculously lucky to have them in the same team all at once. Our talent pool is not looking so great at the moment, but our domestic game is still among the best in the world. It's only a matter of time before we're competitive again.

Exactly. It's not a late 90s West Indies scenario where they looked at the cupboard and though "oh crap we're screwed."

We've got plenty of young talent coming through. Whether they can step up and get us to back number one is another thing, but the talent is there. Josh Hazlewood and James Pattinson are two very promising young quicks who would probably have played a test already were it not for injury. As for batting, you've got Hughes, Smith, Maddinson, Khawaja, Ferguson and Finch coming through who all look like genuine talents.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom