• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Mega, me and you should open up a computer repair shop.

As soon as I finish this bulk purchase of thermal paste...

legend166

Megadrive said:
I know right?

Xfyfe.gif

giri

Eh, people who underplay the value of the "team" in cricket need a re-think. Those great Aus teams worked together, and played together. They were happy to see each other, and supportive of one another. That might not add a lot, but it adds some.

What is a bigger factor is that a negative locker room environment (which we apparently have now) detracts from the team, a lot. By all reports Clark is a world class douche even in the locker room, alienating team mates left and right (best choice for future captain, EVER), with players looking out for themselves, and themselves only. There's no celebrating as a team after a win. No helping each other out when down.

The team needs new blood not only because Clark, North and Bollinger aren't performing, injured, or are under done, but to help change that team environment.

And it's no coincidence that a team with constant positive body language in the field, england, are the ones who are more alert in the field and look a lot better, diving on balls, making run outs etc.

markot

Banned
Choc said:
Webber drove last 4 races with a broken shoulder. Didn't tell Horner

Horner is pissed off

dear horner,

he didnt tell you because he knew you, being the dirty bastard you are would have said right its time to make Seb no 1 driver and you help him then cause clearly you cant drive right

Just shows how much Webber trusts his team, what a sad situation.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...ve-with-a-broken-shoulder-20101207-18n7m.html
Or the team could have helped him out >_<

Fredescu

Warne was an arsehole but he took 700 wickets. People that played under Steve Waugh complain that he was "distant" but he has the best winning record out of any Australian captain. No shit morale goes to crap if you're not winning. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of cricket happens when bat meets ball, and at the moment we are just not good enough.

Shaneus

markot said:
Or the team could have helped him out >_<
Could've, but given what had transpired with the front wing (which, despite seeming relatively minor was a pretty big barometer of how things were internally) earlier in the season, I'm not surprised Webber acted the way he did.

giri

Fredescu said:
Warne was an arsehole but he took 700 wickets. People that played under Steve Waugh complain that he was "distant" but he has the best winning record out of any Australian captain. No shit morale goes to crap if you're not winning. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of cricket happens when bat meets ball, and at the moment we are just not good enough.
Warne was an ass, but he was also a good team mate, by reports. I know Gillys book didn't do him any favors, but he did bring morale to the room when they were down several times. And while selfish in his off field exploits, whilst in the rooms seemed to be very much about the team.

"People", I know several ex players who make that claim. They were all the ones on the end of a famous steve waugh heart to heart that explicitly told them what they were doing wrong, and needed to fix it. Steve was a hard man, but fair, and he never wavered in the face of anything. Your team captain doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) the best friend of everyone, he sometimes has to lay down the discipline.

I know on an english tour michael slatter tried to lead a players revolt against waugh after slatter got dropped for (i think langer). He never played for Australia again, and fair enough.

Yeah, morale can drop, but team culture doesn't have to disipate into selfishness. Yes at anyone given moment it's all about the repetition of .5 of a second of action as the ball leaves the bowlers hand.

But its also no mistake that in our best teams, they were more than just team mates. Ponting was damien martyns best man at his wedding (and vice versa iirc). When in WA for a test, haydens family would stay with langers.

No, anyone who thinks team spirit and culture play no role in cricket are very far off base.

legend166

From what I understand about Clarke, it's the older set who don't like him, whilst the younger blokes like him a lot.

Considering there's going to be a lot more younger guys whilst he's captain, it's not the worst thing ever.

The reason Warnie could lift spirits in the dressing room is because no matter how dire the situation, the team knew Warnie could most likely pull something out of his behind and save the game because he was just that good.

Edit: Steve Smith finishes with figure of 4/57 against the crow eaters in the first innings. If he backs it up with the bat you'd think he's a certainty for the game at the WACA.

Choc

Banned
lols

LEGENDARY cricket enemies Sir Ian Botham and Ian Chappell had to be pulled apart after a furious dust-up in a car park after the fourth day of the Adelaide Test.

The England and Australia icons have a feud going back more than 30 years and squared up before their Sky and Channel 9 colleagues intervened.

Choc

Banned
who the fuck is the Essendon coach

bomber thompson or james hird

how did he just have a press conf for essendon, wtf

giri

legend166 said:
From what I understand about Clarke, it's the older set who don't like him, whilst the younger blokes like him a lot.

Considering there's going to be a lot more younger guys whilst he's captain, it's not the worst thing ever.

The reason Warnie could lift spirits in the dressing room is because no matter how dire the situation, the team knew Warnie could most likely pull something out of his behind and save the game because he was just that good.

Edit: Steve Smith finishes with figure of 4/57 against the crow eaters in the first innings. If he backs it up with the bat you'd think he's a certainty for the game at the WACA.
From what i understand about Clakre these days is he has pissed just about everyone off.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Choc said:

James Hird, it's bombers first press conference since joining Essendon so fuck off

Choc

Banned
HolyCheck said:
James Hird, it's bombers first press conference since joining Essendon so fuck off

dont mind him having a press conf and all, he deserves it but fuckin confused me as to who is coach

Fredescu

giri said:
No, anyone who thinks team spirit and culture play no role in cricket are very far off base.
Probably. Luckily that's not what I said. "The "team" only exists at a broader strategic and psychological level. You don't need to practice with a particular team to be able to slot in well if the skill is there. " A bad team culture will cause problems, but it wasn't culture that made McGrath land the ball on a handkerchief over after over.

giri said:
But its also no mistake that in our best teams, they were more than just team mates.
If you were in a world beating team for ten years you'd make some pretty good friends too. I will bet you there are far fewer "dressing room incidents" in winning teams than their are losing teams. People playing at this level are there because they are hyper competitive. They all have a bit of the arsehole in them and they are all happier when they're winning.

I'd like to see you try and instill good morale into a team that is losing constantly. The cure to bad morale is winning. To win we need batsmen to knuckle down and graft out a good test innings, and we need bowlers to take 20 wickets. Unless there is a particularly bad element ala Andrew Symonds, those selections should be made on the basis of ability and not how many mates they have in the side.

For what it's worth, I do think there are psychological problems with our batting. They've become too used to having two of the best bowlers of all time in their side and batting with little pressure. The "back yaself, mate" mantra doesn't work anymore. We need batsmen who value their wicket above all else and don't try to score at four and over. We need a new Border or Waugh.

Shaneus

HolyCheck said:
Um, what did I just miss? There was a press conference for Essendon and...? Why's Choc distressed?

Choc

Banned
ENGLAND skipper Andrew Strauss has warned opener Phil Hughes his suspect technique will be targeted if recalled for the third Test.

woooow lol England is the new Australia. They have guts and balls and confidence and man its going to be very hard to stop this momentum

jambo

Choc said:

He had one to talk about returning to Essendon...

Is it really that confusing? =\

legend166

What did Bomber say about being a hypocritical knob for the last 12 months who managed to completely embarrass Geelong in the process and make liars out of their executives?

Him and Hird deserve each other.

Fredescu

Choc said:
woooow lol England is the new Australia. They have guts and balls and confidence and man its going to be very hard to stop this momentum
Actual quote:
"He has obviously worked on his technique and was slightly different in the Australia A tour game, but there are weaknesses there we can exploit definitely," said Strauss of Hughes

It's the headline writers with the guts balls and confidence.

HolyCheck

Choc said:
dont mind him having a press conf and all, he deserves it but fuckin confused me as to who is coach

Ok, I just thought it was some snide remark :lol (I'm sick and cranky)

I shall re direct my anger towards Legend and his pathetic club

jambo

South's are a good team, those two grand finals they were in back in 05/06 were amazing.

LEO BARRY YOU STAR!

EDIT: And they had a great 2010 season

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
South's are a good team, those two grand finals they were in back in 05/06 were amazing.

LEO BARRY YOU STAR!

EDIT: And they had a great 2010 season

yeah good luck with signing Inglis. The NRL is one a one company crusade to end your hopes on that one

if he goes to French Rugby its their own fucking fault Gallop should go as he just caused the loss of the best player in the league

giri

Fredescu said:
Probably. Luckily that's not what I said. "The "team" only exists at a broader strategic and psychological level. You don't need to practice with a particular team to be able to slot in well if the skill is there. " A bad team culture will cause problems, but it wasn't culture that made McGrath land the ball on a handkerchief over after over.

If you were in a world beating team for ten years you'd make some pretty good friends too. I will bet you there are far fewer "dressing room incidents" in winning teams than their are losing teams. People playing at this level are there because they are hyper competitive. They all have a bit of the arsehole in them and they are all happier when they're winning.

I'd like to see you try and instill good morale into a team that is losing constantly. The cure to bad morale is winning. To win we need batsmen to knuckle down and graft out a good test innings, and we need bowlers to take 20 wickets. Unless there is a particularly bad element ala Andrew Symonds, those selections should be made on the basis of ability and not how many mates they have in the side.

For what it's worth, I do think there are psychological problems with our batting. They've become too used to having two of the best bowlers of all time in their side and batting with little pressure. The "back yaself, mate" mantra doesn't work anymore. We need batsmen who value their wicket above all else and don't try to score at four and over. We need a new Border or Waugh.

You're so far off base it's a little silly. No, no TEAM is teaching McGrath to put the ball in one spot. Brett Lee walking up to him after someone smacked him around for 14 the previous over and saying "thanks, now i'll get a bowl" will how ever, affect his performance. On the other hand, Lee walking up and saying "Bad luck, but you put it where you wanted, and the plan didn't come off, maybe go to your plan B" could very well get him thinking properly again. If you don't think so, then nothing i say will convince you otherwise. Team culture is more than just being talented.

People are Talented, Teams Win.

You can look at any number of professional sports to confirm this, not just cricket teams (which can be seen in the case of teams like pakistan who are ridiculously gifted, but horrible teams).

I agree on the batsmen point, to an extent. You're not going to win many test matches if it takes you 3 days to make 600 runs. You'll draw plenty, lose less than now, but not win many. I'd like to see Ferguson in the team, Cameron white (as a batsmen), or Marsh as the opener now that katich is hurt.

Yes our bowling lineup at the moment is sub par. Bollinger needs to go, he's not test match fit. He's good, but not test match fit. I don't mind what i've seen from Doherty, but he needs to work with someone on flight, he's getting no dip, no movement, no real flight to his bowling. I also reckon he's regularly bowling far too fast. I dont know what the answers are, but i know it needs a change, as do several in the batting line up.

jambo

Choc said:
yeah good luck with signing Inglis. The NRL is one a one company crusade to end your hopes on that one

if he goes to French Rugby its their own fucking fault Gallop should go as he just caused the loss of the best player in the league
Who the fuck is Inglis?

And what the fuck does French Rugby have to do with AFL?!

And who the fuck is Gallop?!?!

giri

Choc said:

oh wiat, choc was so far out with his comment mine seems odd too.

HolyCheck

legend166 said:
Ferguson shouldn't be in the team. He has a pretty crappy first class record. Both Khawaja and Smith are better.

my high school fellow student! I must defend him!

ferguson hwaiting!

Choc

Banned
Aus paying 6 to 1 for perth win

Worth a tenner

England are 1.43 same odds for overall series

Also aus was 501 to 1 when play resumed today

Fredescu

giri said:
You're so far off base it's a little silly. No, no TEAM is teaching McGrath to put the ball in one spot. Brett Lee walking up to him after someone smacked him around for 14 the previous over and saying "thanks, now i'll get a bowl" will how ever, affect his performance. On the other hand, Lee walking up and saying "Bad luck, but you put it where you wanted, and the plan didn't come off, maybe go to your plan B" could very well get him thinking properly again. If you don't think so, then nothing i say will convince you otherwise. Team culture is more than just being talented.
I'd say I agree, but you knew that and you even quoted it: "A bad team culture will cause problems" so I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to argue with specifically. Are you conflating morale with culture? Also, there are two lines of debate. One is whether you need to play youngsters regularly at the top level like they do in the AFL, and the other is current team selection.

The whole "You don't need to practice with a particular team to be able to slot in well if the skill is there" is in response to the former. Cricket as a team sport does not rely as heavily on team understanding and communication as other team sports like AFL, so "blooding" in a particular team isn't as important. I don't really see how that can be up for debate. Yes they also need to not act like a petulant teenager and try to fit in to the team culture, but other sports need another level of team understanding on top of that.

As for the team selection, this:

qiri said:
What is a bigger factor is that a negative locker room environment (which we apparently have now) detracts from the team, a lot. By all reports Clark is a world class douche even in the locker room, alienating team mates left and right (best choice for future captain, EVER), with players looking out for themselves, and themselves only. There's no celebrating as a team after a win. No helping each other out when down.
sounds like Woman's Day rumours level stuff, but if true I agree, Clarke should go. Hell if North wasn't the obvious next choice for the axe, Clarke would be next in line for it just based on form alone.

qiri said:
I agree on the batsmen point, to an extent. You're not going to win many test matches if it takes you 3 days to make 600 runs. You'll draw plenty, lose less than now, but not win many. I'd like to see Ferguson in the team, Cameron white (as a batsmen), or Marsh as the opener now that katich is hurt.
I'd kill for a team that could bat for three days.

Choc said:
Aus paying 6 to 1 for perth win

Worth a tenner
I'd say you're mad, but you've pulled off some pretty good bets lately. I'm tempted to put down a tenner just on your say so :p

What are some good web hosting options? I already have a domain and email set up just need the actual hosting. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

legend166

Fredescu said:
sounds like Woman's Day rumours level stuff, but if true I agree, Clarke should go. Hell if North wasn't the obvious next choice for the axe, Clarke would be next in line for it just based on form alone.

I don't understand this.

Clarke has been our best batsman for the last four years. The only one who gets close is Katich. He was down on form, yes, but judging from yesterdays innings everything is good again.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Clarke has been our best batsman for the last four years. The only one who gets close is Katich. He was down on form, yes, but judging from yesterdays innings everything is good again.
Four years is a long time. Over the last twelve months, only North has a worse average of the top six. To be fair, North's is much worse. Our batting needs a spine, and Clarke would be second on the chopping block for mine.

My biggest surprise with Australian cricket is the lack of a decent spinner. Is Warne's action so difficult to emulate? All the spinners i see just have a terrible action. Warne's seems so much better and quite frankly easier to emulate.

Would love to see him involved in teaching young spinners.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm aware of that, but during that period of dominance, why weren't we bringing at least a few young kids through to learn the ropes while we were dominating?

As 9th or 10th down the line or something? Granted I don't 'get' cricket much, I'm not a huge fan, but surely the AFL model would work in Cricket.

From 05-10, Collingwood was playing kids consistently despite playing in finals in all those years bar 05. This meant, that even once we lost Buckley, Burns, Clement etc, we had basically ready made players stepping in and taking over.

I don't see why during that era of utter dominance we couldn't have blooded 2-3 younger cricketers at various stages since during that time we were rarely if ever in danger of losing.

The situations aren't comparable. The Australian cricket team is supposed to be the best 11 players in the entire country.

These young AFL players being blooded don't have to be that good. They only have to be good enough to survive amongst a team of 22 and a pool of over 400 players. If they aren't that good it isn't that big of a deal.

Also AFL clubs need to blood youngsters as due to the larger amount of players there is a constant need for new players. With the Australian cricket team there is only 11 players and many will last on the team for a long time.

BowieZ

Banned
DualShadow said:
Have to take into account people not giving serious answers to a survey :lol
As someone who conducted the survey, just know that the questions were pretty awkwardly worded, and many young, really old, or non English speaking people answered hesitantly and often contradictorily.

legend166

AdventureRacing said:
My biggest surprise with Australian cricket is the lack of a decent spinner. Is Warne's action so difficult to emulate? All the spinners i see just have a terrible action. Warne's seems so much better and quite frankly easier to emulate.

Would love to see him involved in teaching young spinners.

Yes.

Bowling accurate leg spin and still being able to get that much turn is incredibly difficult. If you look at a lot of the other leggies over the years, barely any of them turned it as much as Warne.

rass

Neverender said:
What are some good web hosting options? I already have a domain and email set up just need the actual hosting. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
I use http://www.jumba.com.au/, they seem to be alright. My work hosts on bludomain and it goes down at least 2 or 3 times a month but are generally pretty good.

Gazunta

SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT SPORT

Have a picture of Ricki Lee

366602-ricki-lee-coulter.jpg

As for hosting, I've been using Surpass Hosting for the last few years and really like the service. Six bucks a month, can't go wrong.

I'd like to submit Ella Morton for inclusion in the AusGAF picture gallery of insanely hot Australian women

Edit:^That pic looks like it's been really touched up and she doesn't really look that great in it.

legend166 said:
Yes.

Bowling accurate leg spin and still being able to get that much turn is incredibly difficult. If you look at a lot of the other leggies over the years, barely any of them turned it as much as Warne.

I don't mean being able to bowl as well as Warne. I'm just talking about his general action. All these spinners have this same action where they hold their arm right up high and finger spin.

It just seems so much more difficult and unintuitive when compared to Warne's action.

Usually when a great sportsman like Warne comes along everyone attempts to copy the way they played. In this case it's like as soon as Warne retired his action retired with him and you don't see anyone else attempting to bowl like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom