• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

jambo said:
Repost from PC thread in Gaming

"Every game I'm throwing at the new GTX 570 is running perfectly.

I tried Mafia 2, Borderlands, BFBC2 and STALKER: CoP and they all ran great maxed out.

The cars in Mafia 2 look amazing, BFBC2 is incredibly smooth and pretty, STALKER blew me away when I was using my flashlight and I can now run Borderlands with shadows and everything else turned on.

The jump from 4870x2 (CF disabled so 4850) to GTX 570 is huge. Downloading Crysis on Steam atm so I can really work the new card!"

:D

What CPU you running? Temptation is an awful thing. :x

PS> Anyone that gets a friend request on NFS from TT_Omi, be kind. :D

Bernbaum

So this new 570 isn't a refresh or anything?

I had my eye on a 460 for $220 as a 'get me by' until a more comprehensive hardware update, but my preferred seller has plenty of 570's in stock around the $400 mark. Keep in mind that whatever card I get will be going into an archaic non-DX11 capable machine running XP.

Fredescu

My GTX570 is paired with a Q9550 running at 3.6Ghz Omi. Runs beautifully. Big step up from my 4890. I doubt it's CPU bound. I guess I could overclock the card and run some tests to be sure, but I haven't needed any more framerate out of any game I've played so far so I haven't bothered.

Bernbaum said:
I had my eye on a 460 for $220 as a 'get me by' until a more comprehensive hardware update, but my preferred seller has plenty of 570's in stock around the $400 mark. Keep in mind that whatever card I get will be going into an archaic non-DX11 capable machine running XP.
How's your power supply? The 570 needs a lot more power than the 460. You need a 600w PSU for the 570, whereas you can get away with 450ish with a 460. The 460 is probably the better buy for an older machine. Keep in mind that the 460 will be replaced by the 560 in a few weeks, but knowing Australian prices you will pay a premium for it for a little while.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
My GTX570 is paired with a Q9550 running at 3.6Ghz Omi. Runs beautifully. Big step up from my 4890. I doubt it's CPU bound. I guess I could overclock the card and run some tests to be sure, but I haven't needed any more framerate out of any game I've played so far so I haven't bothered.

I kinda just assumed I was CPU bound with the 4870x2, but guess not as much as I thought based on your situation, which is good.

Definitely something to keep in mind in the coming months I think. Been 2.5 years since I have bought any significant hardware, the itch begins.

ShyGuy

Hi AusGAF, a mate of mine's girlfriend wants to buy a PS3 for her nephew and possibly one for her other nephew (purchase money apparently being shared with other siblings)

Now, I have an 80GB US PS3-phat that has BC and card reader and all those niceties, I'm wondering if I should offer my PS3 up for sale...and eventually repurchase PS3 under slim guise...

I have another mate who has the PAL launch 60GB PS3 with all the features unique to that console.

I'm thinking of both us 'upgrading' to a slim, we both don't use BC or any of the other hardware features and the buyers seem to not care whether they buy a slim or a phat, they just want to find "cheap" PS3's.

So, I figured I'd raise it here and see what you guys thought of this...it'd be win-win for all parties and there's no misleading "scamming" involved.

What say you AusGAF? What's the main pros/cons of ditching our PS3-phats for later upgrading to Slims...?

rass

ShyGuy said:
Hi AusGAF, a mate of mine's girlfriend wants to buy a PS3 for her nephew and possibly one for her other nephew (purchase money apparently being shared with other siblings)

Now, I have an 80GB US PS3-phat that has BC and card reader and all those niceties, I'm wondering if I should offer my PS3 up for sale...and eventually repurchase PS3 under slim guise...

I have another mate who has the PAL launch 60GB PS3 with all the features unique to that console.

I'm thinking of both us 'upgrading' to a slim, we both don't use BC or any of the other hardware features and the buyers seem to not care whether they buy a slim or a phat, they just want to find "cheap" PS3's.

So, I figured I'd raise it here and see what you guys thought of this...it'd be win-win for all parties and there's no misleading "scamming" involved.

What say you AusGAF? What's the main pros/cons of ditching our PS3-phats for later upgrading to Slims...?
My only concern with the US PS3 going to a new owner would be compatibility with region 4 BluRays. My PS3 spends more time playing movies than games lately and it's good to just grab something from the video store without worrying if it's compatible.

I upgraded from PAL 60gb to a slim and made $100 in the process, I much prefer the look of the newer console (no damn dust)

ShyGuy

Yes that's what I was wondering too, however the reason I even thought of possibly offering my US PS3 was because I was told both houses (either nephew) already have Blu-Ray players in the house...so that just means that whatever R4 blu-rays are in the house are at least playable...just not on this PS3, thus removing or at least mitigating one of the 'cons'

Fredescu

Bernbaum said:
Fred, I have a modular 750W Thermaltake PSU. It powered two 8800GT's back in the day and is stable as a rock.
Nice. Shouldn't be a problem then. Your CPU might hold back the performance gains a bit, but if you're ok with that the 570 is pretty sweet.

Clipper

So EB is apparently sold out of Collector's Editions of LBP2. JB don't seem to have the CE up for pre-order either. The EB guy told me I could still get the Sackboy with the SE pre-order, so I guess that might be my only option unless I can find another store that has pre-orders for the CE available...

ShyGuy

Bernbaum said:
Shyguy, your PAL BC-capable PS3 may have a potential buyer. How much in AUD would you be willing to sell it for?
Well it's not mine so i can't answer this. However I am curious to know what the "GAF market value" is for BC-capable PS3's.

Are they more or less than current 160gb slims sell for brand new?

rass

^^I sold mine with a few games for the same price as a new 160gb Slim

Clipper said:
So EB is apparently sold out of Collector's Editions of LBP2. JB don't seem to have the CE up for pre-order either. The EB guy told me I could still get the Sackboy with the SE pre-order, so I guess that might be my only option unless I can find another store that has pre-orders for the CE available...
nooo!!!!
I only found out there was a CE the day before yesterday haha.
c'mon JB!

Clipper

rass said:
nooo!!!!
I only found out there was a CE the day before yesterday haha.
c'mon JB!
I just found it (the CE) for $99.99 + $4.90 shipping at mightyape.com.au. Never used them before, but it's really easy to set up the order.

Oh, and I meant JB doesn't have it up for pre-order online. It's not easy for me to check in-store.

Shaneus

While we're talking PC-related stuff, I'm now currently running a Q9550 @ 3.5GHz (old mobo could run higher, gotta do some tweaking with the new x38) and 2x 5850s. Awesome, until you realise just how many games AREN'T Crossfire-optimised or CPU-restricted (hello Dirt 2). Hopefully the new Catalyst drivers will support both Dead Rising 2 and NFSHP (and anything else DX9-based, as that seems to be the defining factor).

Deeku

ShyGuy said:
Well it's not mine so i can't answer this. However I am curious to know what the "GAF market value" is for BC-capable PS3's.

Are they more or less than current 160gb slims sell for brand new?
I sold my half dead 60gb with 2 launch games for $680 a year or so ago and bought a slim with it. Check ebay for a rough price estimate, I reckon they are still in high demand.

And damn, I need to get off my ass and get a pre order for lbp2!

Bernbaum

Are there any notable disparities between the effectiveness of SLI compared to Crossfire with the current generation of cards? Like, is one tech better than the other when it comes to having a multi-card setup?

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
What do you mean? I get 60fps in Dirt 2 at max settings with the same CPU.
Really? I've noticed all four cores run near 100%, each GPU is fairly low and the benchmark (with vsync off) only gets around 55fps. Maybe there's something I'm missing :/

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
Really? I've noticed all four cores run near 100%, each GPU is fairly low and the benchmark (with vsync off) only gets around 55fps. Maybe there's something I'm missing :/
Maybe. I just tried it 4xAA and everything else at max and got 78fps.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shaneus said:

Try setting the cpu affinity on the dirt2 exe to 2 cores. See if that helps or just blows up.

Damn the box i found and filled with foam is too large for the satchel. Gotta find me a smaller sized box for orbi's nfs.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
YHix0.jpg

My internet use at my mums house... guess the days when i've been here :lol :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
cookie, that eCheque to PayPal is still listed as pending :/

It was taken out of my bank account wednesday morning, So hopefully tomorrow. Unless paypal have some other slow ass measures in place.

Ydahs

Oi, does anyone know Australia's stance on downloading a copy of a game you already own? As in I download a copy of a SNES game to play on my PC or emulate on a PSP. Googled a bit and there seems to be some uncertainty on where it all stands.

I feel like I've asked this before... though maybe not on GAF

Bernbaum

Ydahs said:
Oi, does anyone know Australia's stance on downloading a copy of a game you already own? As in I download a copy of a SNES game to play on my PC or emulate on a PSP. Googled a bit and there seems to be some uncertainty on where it all stands.

Still illegal. Nintendo have warnings about 'backup' copies inside game cases.

Clipper

Ydahs said:

There's no uncertainty at all when it comes to Australia. It's direct violation of copyright law. You can't even make your own backup of software.

Pure duplication of any copyrighted media is illegal under all circumstances unless permission is provided by the copyright holder.

You can make backups of music into different formats as long as you only have one in each format. That means one on CD, one in mp3, one on an iPod, etc. You can even use all those copies simultaneously or lend them to people (provided you maintain ownership and don't do so for profit).

Video content can be format shifted when time shifting only. That means you can record a TV show, but once you and any members of your household have watched it once, you must never watch it again (legally).

There are no methods that are legal for software without permission of the copyright holders.

Other countries do have loopholes you may be able to jump through, but downloading a ROM is almost certainly illegal everywhere as you are supporting the actions of the pirate who put it up for download.

Clipper said:
There's no uncertainty at all when it comes to Australia. It's direct violation of copyright law. You can't even make your own backup of software.

Pure duplication of any copyrighted media is illegal under all circumstances unless permission is provided by the copyright holder.
Are you sure about that? I am under the impression you may make one (1) backup of any software as long as you don't circumvent any copy protection. Obviously copying movie DVDs and downloading SNES games breaks copy protection so it is not allowed.

Reference is the Australian Copyright Act 1968:
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/previewlodgmentattachments/052134D2FC16BEABCA25750F000D558F/$file/Copyright1968.htm#param77

Edit: Subsection 1 shows you can make the copy as noted above, Subsection 4 shows you cannot if modification (e.g. DeCSS) takes place.

It also seems that when I tried to use a dongle emulator for work a couple of years back it was actually legal and would fall under section 47D. Go figure.

Clipper

codswallop said:
Are you sure about that? I am under the impression you may make one (1) backup of any software as long as you don't circumvent any copy protection. Obviously copying movie DVDs and downloading SNES games breaks copy protection so it is not allowed.

Reference is the Australian Copyright Act 1968:
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/previewlodgmentattachments/052134D2FC16BEABCA25750F000D558F/$file/Copyright1968.htm#param77

Edit: Subsection 1 shows you can make the copy as noted above, Subsection 4 shows you cannot if modification (e.g. DeCSS) takes place.

It also seems that when I tried to use a dongle emulator for work a couple of years back it was actually legal and would fall under section 47D. Go figure.
Interesting... I always used to follow the guideline documents posted at the website instead of the actual Act. That section does seem to indicate that it is OK, and in fact, it also implies that even USB Loading on the Wii might be legal as you can make a complete copy of the software without modifying it.

jambo

elektrixx said:
I just jumped on Usenet recently. It's awesome.

Things are gonna explode when I get ADSL2 here in a few days.
ADSL2 is pretty damn epic.

Pretty crazy to think that back in early high school we were on ISDN 128 :lol

legend166

Flights booked :D

Flying into Paris (cue Choc rant) on May the 27th. Flying out of Rome on June the 24th. On Malaysian Airlines.

So excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom