• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
codswallop said:
Kmart, Big W, etc often have better prices than JB. Sometimes harder to get though.

I did manage to get an awesome bargain on a receiver a couple of years ago through JB, so they're not all bad.

Yeah sometimes you can find a steal at kmart/w/target/etc but it's almost random, sometimes you'll see some insane deal on an almost new game down to 60 bucks, other times you'll see something sitting on the shelf for 20 at jb and 100 at kmart. JB is fairly reliable though, imo. Obviously shop around. The only place you never need to bother with is EB :p

and thanks evlcookie. I'll see how it goes. If there is a huge saving at MSY I'll wait. if I'm only saving myself a little then I don't think I'll bother.

I love my Kindle.

I was skeptical at first when my partner got one but after mucking around with hers for a while I thought I would give it a go.

Since getting it about 4 months ago I've read more books than I had for years.

Now my mum has just ordered one, which will be great for her as her eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Also: Gerry Harvey is fucked. I haven't bought anything at Harvey Norman for about ten years and it had nothing to do with buying online, it had everything to do with JB and the Good Guys and the fact that most Harvey Norman staff are fucking terrible (no offence to any HN staff). When we were in a store recently looking to buy a new bed the douche who "helped" us was joking around with other staff and even texting from his phone while we were asking him questions.

It's experiences like the above that stop people from buying from your stores, not the internet, dickhead.

Kritz

Banned
Fuckin' rad. Looks like Rockstar games are now purchasable on Steam. Including Manhunt. D:

I wonder what's spurred this to happen?

Omikron

Kritz said:
Fuckin' rad. Looks like Rockstar games are now purchasable on Steam. Including Manhunt. D:

Number of people getting it gifted and/or buying through VPN? Maybe?

Danoss

Kritz said:

If only they were on special to make up for the fact we couldn't get them during the Christmas sales.

Bernbaum

Whilst not as cheeky as my self-indulgent 2010 GotY list, here’s what I’m looking to get out of 2011:

- 3DS
- Telltale’s Jurassic Park game
- Uncharted 3
- The Last Guardian
- Team Ico Collection
- Killzone 3
- Mass Effect 3
- Gears of War 3
- Forza 4
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Homefront
- Portal 2
- Playing Dead Space (finally), Extraction and then Dead Space 2
- Seeing Platinum announce something I know I’ll love
- Valve announcing something (anything, please...)
- Learning the setting of Assassin’s Creed 3
- Buying an iPad 2.0
- Not buying Kinect
- Stocking up on over-the-counter sleeping tablets from America
- Finishing Bill Willingham’s Fables books
- Finishing A Song of Ice Fire
- Knocking two or three more Final Fantasy games off the backlog
- Sorting out my PC situation
- Scratching my head in confusion as to whether Nintendo will either: a) have nothing to show at E3; or b) move heaven and earth
- Watching an as-yet uncertain sector of the market bottom out and die (I reckon something‘s gotta give between the traditional hardcore base; traditional handheld gaming; iDevice gaming; and motion control gaming. One of those is gonna take a dive - I can feel it in my waters).

Really not a lot there and it’s a lot more dudebro than I’d like to think I am. There’s also a lot of PS3 stuff, which was easily the most underplayed console last year, and a dearth of Nintendo stuff although I got plenty of unplayed Wii games just sitting there.

Edit: de Blob 2. Silly me...

Bernbaum

Choc said:
you forgot West Hams relegation Bern
:lol :lol

I'm not a supporter, but I was forced to go on the West Ham mail-out list to get tickets to the match I went to in September. Their newsletter is basically their coach and manager saying 'We did shit, but hey we weren't as shit as last week' and then pathetically praising the resolve of the players before having a little cry.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
:lol :lol

I'm not a supporter, but I was forced to go on the West Ham mail-out list to get tickets to the match I went to in September. Their newsletter is basically their coach and manager saying 'We did shit, but hey we weren't as shit as last week' and then pathetically praising the resolve of the players before having a little cry.
:lol

Pretty much. I delete those msgs before reading, too depressing.

OK, nerd time:
http://www.gameinformer.com/p/skyrimpuzzle.aspx

Here's what I came up with:

DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN
NAAL OK ZIN LOS VAHRIIN
WAH DEIN VOKUL MAHFAERAAK AHST VAAL
AHRK FIN NOROK PAAL GRAAN
FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZIN
DOVAHKIIN FAH HIN KOGAAN MU DRAAL

AHRK FIN KEL LOST PRODAH
DO VEG VIING KO FIN KRAH
TOL FOD ZEYMAH WIN KEIN MEYZ FUNDEIN
ALDUIN FEYN DO JUN
KRUZIIK VOKUN STAADNAU
VOTH AAN BAHLOK WAH DIIVON FIN LEIN

Which translates to:

Dragonborn dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's honor
Dragonborn for your blessing we pray

And the scrolls have fortold
Of black wings in the cold
That when brothers wage war come unfurled
Alduin bane of kings
Ancient shadow unbound
With a hunger to swallow the world

So sounds like TES V big boss is or was called Alduin and is some giant black demon, dragon thing?

Google search results in this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Gods_A
"Alduin is the Nordic variation of Akatosh, and only superficially resembles his counterpart in the Eight Divines. For example, Alduin's sobriquet, 'the world eater', comes from myths that depict him as the horrible, ravaging firestorm that destroyed the last world to begin this one. Nords therefore see the god of time as both creator and harbinger of the apocalypse. He is not the chief of the Nordic pantheon (in fact, that pantheon has no chief; see Shor) but its wellspring, albeit a grim and frightening one."

Ydahs

This silly pidgeon has made our backyard it's home for the past week. It doesn't fly very far and isn't a wimp like other birds. I wonder if something is wrong with it or if it's lost its home :(

rass

Ydahs said:
This silly pidgeon has made our backyard it's home for the past week. It doesn't fly very far and isn't a wimp like other birds. I wonder if something is wrong with it or if it's lost its home :(
It's a trap.

I just got finished doing the job I did yesterday. Exactly. The. Same. Job.
stupid corrupted file bollocks.

Clipper

Omi said:
Telltale are doing a JP game? :-o

Why did I not know this!
It was announced at the same time as the Back to the Future episodes and is part of the same deal. Given that I absolutely love the first ep of BttF, I am certainly looking forward to the JP ones, but I doubt we'll hear much about them until after BttF is complete.

Omikron

rass said:
because it's 4,000°C in Melbourne, everybody has melted.

Also, my productivity is in a damn hole.

First week back at work... to be expected.

Question is do I grab a 6-pack on the way home or not. Hrm.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
An FYI to anyone in adelaide/the hillS, freeway majorly jammed up around the tunnels, huge delay. Dont take it. Go around

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My new debit card is at the branch, no phone call though, I had to call up and ask about it.

Good thing they are open tomorrow. Gives me an excuse to blow some vouchers and pickup a few things, like pilgrim bluray.

Bernbaum

Let's call it 'catch up' on ASOIAF.

The manuscript for the next book has to be done by now, and I'd like to think he's made ample mental headway for where the final two books are going and may already have a good chunk of it down in ink.

Just so long as the old bastard doesn't fucking die on us...

WEEKEND!

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
Let's call it 'catch up' on ASOIAF.

The manuscript for the next book has to be done by now, and I'd like to think he's made ample mental headway for where the final two books are going and may already have a good chunk of it down in ink.

Just so long as the old bastard doesn't fucking die on us...

WEEKEND!

Hrmm?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A Song of Ice and Fire. It's the hot pseudo-geek series at the moment. I really need to read it. I've heard nothing but good things.

Omikron

Rez said:
A Song of Ice and Fire. It's the hot pseudo-geek series at the moment. I really need to read it. I've heard nothing but good things.

Ahh yes, I thoguht it was, but just couldn't get the acronym.

I am yet to read Feat of Crows, which is currently winging its way to me from overseas. Good series.

In the meantime reading Makers by Cory Doctorow.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's 6 degrees here atm, colder once the sun goes.

Suck it up pussies.

Salazar

http://www.smh.com.au/business/gerry-harvey-in-difficult-position-over-gst-crusade-20110107-19i3u.html

Retail kingpin Gerry Harvey has admitted a campaign to force the government to act on GST on online purchases has placed him in a difficult position and "trying to extricate myself is quite difficult".

And he said he would step back from the campaign, reconfirming comments to BusinessDay yesterday but contradicting statements made to ABC Radio just hours earlier.

Mr Harvey has been under fire from consumers this week after he joined a group of retailers including Premier Investments chairman Solomon Lew and Myer boss Bernie Brookes to force the federal government's hand on GST for purchases from foreign websites. Today, he reiterated he would step back from the campaign.

Mr Harvey acknowledged the avalanche of criticism directed at him and said it had caused him to rethink whether he should comment publicly on the issue.

The comments for the article are fucking top-notch.

CryptiK

Darklord said:
You know, maybe people wouldn't be as pissed if Harvey Norman didn't sell things at ridiculous prices already. Drop the prices to even what other retailers sell it for and maybe more people will shop.
alot really isnt sold at ridiculous prices I have had a look at a number of high profile items and cost on those and they only make barely $40 on Apple products they make $16-20 Im not defending them, I mean they do have ridiculous prices on HDMI cables but when someone asks about them we usually put them pretty low anyway

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Apple products are always like that though cryp, everywhere you go. Apple requires you to sell them at a specific cost and you make fuck all on their products as a company.

It's why everyone will try and push you to buy something extra, You make a lot more on the third party products than apple products.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rez said:
Every time someone starts reading that series, a dance of dragon release date gets pushed back.>_> so it's best you wait till that comes out maybe! :p

markot

Banned
Yeah, I am pretty sure you can just download the drivers from ATI.

I had an Nvidia Toshiba notebook, and for ages Nvidia didnt support it with drivers outside of the ones that they shipped with, eventually they stopped doing that and you could just download the drivers from their website.

I dont think either of the big boys do that anymore, I have intel integrated graphics in my Asus lappy and even I can download driver updates from Intel directly >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom