• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

jambo said:
ADSL2 is pretty damn epic.

Pretty crazy to think that back in early high school we were on ISDN 128 :lol
Back when I was back in early highschool, it was all about the baud rate. 600 baud was king. If you left it downloading all day, you would have downloaded 1 MB. We truly lived in the future.

jambo

I remember when I was in primary school, I once downloaded 1GB in a month on 56K.

I was a king amongst my friends :lol

Shaneus

jambo said:
How did that happen? :lol
Dance Central :lol

I thought it was well out of the way of the play area... clearly it wasn't :lol

Anyone recommend a semi-decent universal remote for around a hundy? The Harmony 700 is on eBay for $115 but can only control 5 devices for some bullshit reason. The 785 can control (as far as I can tell) a shitload more than that.

At least, *could* :(

rass

jambo said:
ADSL2 is pretty damn epic.

Pretty crazy to think that back in early high school we were on ISDN 128 :lol
Pretty Crazy to think that back in early high school we (family) didn't have the internet :lol
end of year 8 we got dial up bitches!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
legend166 said:
Flights booked :D

Flying into Paris (cue Choc rant) on May the 27th. Flying out of Rome on June the 24th. On Malaysian Airlines.

So excited.

so aweosme. make sure to go to versailles :)

jambo

Dead Man said:

PC was pretty much on for the whole month, downloading :lol

rass said:
Pretty Crazy to think that back in early high school we (family) didn't have the internet :lol
end of year 8 we got dial up bitches!

My father always got PCs and Internet because of his work, so I've been using them since I was about 4 or 5.

Deeku

jambo said:
PC was pretty much on for the whole month, downloading :lol

My father always got PCs and Internet because of his work, so I've been using them since I was about 4 or 5.
Same here, my mum worked in IT.

I was never allowed to touch any of it though since she thought I would break everything. Just like how she thought playing mario would break the tv.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
isdn was a revelation, it was such a huge step up in usability from regular dial-up.

then one day mum came home with a chart that showed ADSL speeds she was getting at work.

you could download 20 FUCKING MEGABYTES in 30 SECONDS

that was mind-blowing

Dead Man

Rez said:
isdn was a revelation, it was such a huge step up in usability from regular dial-up.

then one day mum came home with a chart that showed ADSL speeds she was getting at work.

you could download 20 FUCKING MEGABYTES in 30 SECONDS

that was mind-blowing
The hard drive on my first computer was 20MB! You people are making me feel old! :lol

rass

Nostalgia!
I remember when we finally upgraded to a PC with a CD drive and I got Need for Speed (og bitches) and showed mum how you could do burnouts and it left rubber on the road, she couldn't believe it

jambo

I still have the HDDs to one of my father's old work PCs. They were removable (he used NT, I used 98) and weighed in at a whopping 13GB.

All of my games, all of my pictures and all of my music some how fit on a 13GB HDD :lol

EDIT: I still have my NFS2SE disc around here somewhere, wish it worked on Win7.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Flights booked :D

Flying into Paris (cue Choc rant) on May the 27th. Flying out of Rome on June the 24th. On Malaysian Airlines.

So excited.

if you get stuck don't blame me ;)
should be all good :)

Book.Eurostar.Now

:)

or pay a lot. and get flexi tickets

Kirby102

Seems like we're on a PC support line... Might as well join in on the discussion, I need some support.

I recently been handed down a computer from my friend, he gave me his Gigabyte GA-G32M-S2L MB and a 320GB SATA HDD. Now, the thing is I'm trying to format the HDD and do a clean install with Windows 7 64-bit, though once I click "Install Now" on the installer, Windows has a cry and says "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer".

I've been configuring my BIOS, which it has jack all, and it doesnt even have the SATA drivers for it. What do? :( I've been at it for a week already, it's quite annoying.

Cheers. :D

Ydahs

That one hour power nap went on for four hours too long :|

Kirby102 said:
Seems like we're on a PC support line... Might as well join in on the discussion, I need some support.

I recently been handed down a computer from my friend, he gave me his Gigabyte GA-G32M-S2L MB and a 320GB SATA HDD. Now, the thing is I'm trying to format the HDD and do a clean install with Windows 7 64-bit, though once I click "Install Now" on the installer, Windows has a cry and says "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer".

I've been configuring my BIOS, which it has jack all, and it doesnt even have the SATA drivers for it. What do? :( I've been at it for a week already, it's quite annoying.

Cheers. :D
While AusGAF does have some tech heads, you might want to also post it in a thread which has more reach: TechSupportGAF Thread of No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small :D

Internet? Hard disks? Floppy disks? Pah! In my day I had a TRS-80 CLONE, with a monochrome screen and tape and I LIKED IT. OK, it was my dad's, but whatever.

legend166

Choc said:
if you get stuck don't blame me ;)
should be all good :)

Book.Eurostar.Now

:)

or pay a lot. and get flexi tickets

Yeah we'll book it soon I think.

Now we've actually got to plan the trip. We've got our starting point and our finishing point. Just need to find out what to do in between!

legend166

Shaneus

I love how it says something like "All you need to do is walk through our stores to see the impact of online shopping", yet I can't remember the last time I walked through a HN store (since they became national) and it wasn't completely barren. There's always been a better alternative to their stores.

Something I just read on a Boing Boing article referencing a Vanity Fair article:

But among the more interesting revelations in this piece: at one point, VF reports that Assange threatened to sue The Guardian because he was upset that the newspaper secured an unauthorized copy of one leak "package" from a Wikileaks volunteer, and was considering breaking the embargo.

In other words: Wikileaks was going to sue The Guardian over a leak, because Assange believed he owned the content which had been leaked to him.

Enraged that he had lost control, Assange unleashed his threat, arguing that he owned the information and had a financial interest in how and when it was released.
Go ahead and let that one sink in a minute.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So my parent's don't seem to use their speakers or receiver anymore and i'm thinking of stealing them. I have no idea how i would connect it to the PC though, Anyone have any experience with it all?

Gives me something to mess around with on the weekend i guess. If it's decent, upgrade from Z680s! :lol

Omikron

evlcookie said:
So my parent's don't seem to use their speakers or receiver anymore and i'm thinking of stealing them. I have no idea how i would connect it to the PC though, Anyone have any experience with it all?

Gives me something to mess around with on the weekend i guess. If it's decent, upgrade from Z680s! :lol

If you have the option, use an optical cable. *thumbs up*

Danoss

evlcookie said:

If it's similar to my setup it's PC sound card > coax/optical > receiver > speakers.

giri

Danoss said:
Not one bit. Especially as someone who has worked as a salesman at one of his stores and seen how the structures in place are there to ensure maximum profit and poor treatment of customers.

Does anyone feel sympathy for a billionaire crying poor?

His stores, their sales techniques, their "500 day interest free" purchase plans are all setup to screw customers. They massively over inflate markups. Even against other Australian retailers, they're normally 20% off the mark.

I also hate all the book retailers joining in this crusade, you guys all remained very quiet during the debate to de-regulate the austrlian publishing market, which would all you to have had access to much cheaper books. But thinking that i should have to pony up $22 for a paperback that was published 10 years ago, is a little over the top. For a series of 10 books (not uncommon for fantast) that's over $200 for the series. I can get that for less than $100, shipped, from amazon. Bzzzzt.

rass

bookdepository.co.uk negates the need for australian bookstores.
Often half the price and shipped for free.

Choc

Banned
JB Hi Fi is killing harveys, he just doesnt realise it

The queues in JB completely shit on the concept of online shopping killing them all. JB is pricing properly, and has an online presence, good idea.

the layout of harvey norman stores is complete shit, its so hard to find stuff and they always change it.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
JB Hi Fi is killing harveys, he just doesnt realise it

The queues in JB completely shit on the concept of online shopping killing them all. JB is pricing properly, and has an online presence, good idea.

the layout of harvey norman stores is complete shit, its so hard to find stuff and they always change it.

JB Hifi is the only store that's doing the 'catch-all' megastore thing right in Australia.

Omikron

hamchan said:
All hail the Kindle. Sad to say if I didn't buy it I wouldn't be reading books at all.

I just can't do it, there is something about the feel and smell (yes, smell) of books that a flat piece of plastic in my hand can't do.

Cohsae

Omi said:
I just can't do it, there is something about the feel and smell (yes, smell) of books that a flat piece of plastic in my hand can't do.
Agreed, I can't see myself ever getting an e-reader.

Hey PC-AUS-Melbourne GAF

I've been waiting for the new intel cpus to drop to get a new PC, and they're more or less coming next week, so over the next few weeks after that I'm building my new PC with a mate.

I live in the eastern suburbs in melbourne, fairly close to the mitcham or box hill MSY stores. Are they still the best priced? I've looked at stuff like centrecom and pccasegear, and I really could give two shits whether I pick it up in person or have it delivered... MSY seems to have the best prices but are so disorganised, I mean some parts just seem missing, I call/email to check on prices/availability and they just seem clueless at times :p

Deeku

Omi said:
Yeah, it kinda defeats the purpose of reading a book.

Damn, if it wasn't raining I'd probably hop down to the SCG since the ladies and members seem practically empty.

JB sure has good marketing. I know plenty of people convinced they're the cheapest place around.

Stick an RRP sticker on it and another sticker with a lower price (the same everyone else charges) and your customers all think they're getting a great bargain. Their customer service is pretty much, "this TV's big bro, it's awesome," in answer to, "what version HDMI does this unit have?"

Through hearsay I heard JB sells factory seconds and/or returns. I don't think they could get away with that though who knows?

Edit: On e-book readers, my dad's a huge reader and just told me the other day he's had a Kindle for about the past six months and absolutely loves it. When I asked him if he missed the books themselves he snorted as if it was a stupid question.

codswallop said:
JB sure has good marketing. I know plenty of people convinced they're the cheapest place around.

Stick an RRP sticker on it and another sticker with a lower price (the same everyone else charges) and your customers all think they're getting a great bargain. Their customer service is pretty much, "this TV's big bro, it's awesome," in answer to, "what version HDMI does this unit have?"

Through hearsay I heard JB sells factory seconds and/or returns. I don't think they could get away with that though who knows?
no idea on the factory returns stuff and also a second on the clueless workers BUT TO BE FAIR

JB probably has on average the best prices on dvds/blu rays/games out there without importing... even when importing sometimes they do well. the price tag thing is hilarious but unless Big W, KMart or Target put on a random sale of a game, on a new release you can almost be 100% it's cheapest at jb, and later on it's definitely a lot cheaper. I think I saw FFXIII for 49 dollars there and 119 at eb

Omikron

codswallop said:

As with all these places though, you can always haggle the price down a bit, even with JB and get them to toss in extra with bigger purchases.

I managed them to drop ~$500 off an receiver+speakers and they threw in the cables i needed for nothing (hdmi, optical, speaker).

teacupcopter said:
JB probably has on average the best prices on dvds/blu rays/games out there without importing...
Kmart, Big W, etc often have better prices than JB. Sometimes harder to get though.

I did manage to get an awesome bargain on a receiver a couple of years ago through JB, so they're not all bad.

markot

Banned
Harvey probably lives on the "NO INTEREST NO PAYMNETS FOR 48 MONTHS!!!!!!" kind of swindle that means he can keep prices high.

They are such shit stores.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
teacupcopter said:
Hey PC-AUS-Melbourne GAF

I've been waiting for the new intel cpus to drop to get a new PC, and they're more or less coming next week, so over the next few weeks after that I'm building my new PC with a mate.

I live in the eastern suburbs in melbourne, fairly close to the mitcham or box hill MSY stores. Are they still the best priced? I've looked at stuff like centrecom and pccasegear, and I really could give two shits whether I pick it up in person or have it delivered... MSY seems to have the best prices but are so disorganised, I mean some parts just seem missing, I call/email to check on prices/availability and they just seem clueless at times :p

MSY is probably still the cheapest but don't expect them to have sandy bridge on day 1 like pccasegear. They seem to lag behind for some reason when it comes to release dates on items. So if you're in a rush i would try another store otherwise wait it out and try snag the parts from MSY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom