• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryptiK

The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

* Any notebook launched after this driver release
* Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel® chipsets.
* Toshiba® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
* Sony® VAIO® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
* Panasonic® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

jambo

Well I think tonights AusGAF Games Night was a complete success, with 4 hours of Hot Pursuit which saw crashes, wrecks, spike strips and a whole lotta laughing!

Mush

So, I've recently changed ISP's, and I was wondering why all my Steam Holiday Sale downloads were so slow. I noticed for the first time ever that there was a New Zealand (maybe it's new, idk) server, so I decided to change from the Sydney one I had been using. Now Steam is telling me I don't have an internet connection and won't go online.

Thanks, Australia. :/

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Steam can be iffy like that. If you're in NZ don't select the 3FL servers, I believe they are restricted to iinet and westnet customers now.

You could always try a random server. Shanghai was successful for both myself and aon, although i didn't get top speed, it was usually consistent.

Kritz

Banned
So tonight a few of us are thinking of all playing Amnesia, and getting on mumble while we play, and share our scary as shit experiences with eachother.

I dunno how many people will be up for it, but after last night, I think AusGAF may have potential to not be the least social community ever.

Danoss

Kritz said:
So tonight a few of us are thinking of all playing Amnesia, and getting on mumble while we play, and share our scary as shit experiences with eachother.

I dunno how many people will be up for it, but after last night, I think AusGAF may have potential to not be the least social community ever.
I like that idea. If I don't end up going out for a drink, I'm definitely interested in that.

Clipper

I probably should get around to getting myself into the Steam group, despite the fact I barely play PC games any more except for adventure games. My ID is Clipmeister. Am I meant to PM someone or can anybody add me?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Clipper said:
I probably should get around to getting myself into the Steam group, despite the fact I barely play PC games any more except for adventure games. My ID is Clipmeister. Am I meant to PM someone or can anybody add me?

Anyone can invite but i can't find your ID via the community. Guessing you didn't set one up under that name. Throw me a PM over steam if needed or just join chat and rage at someone, should get you invited :D

hamchan

Kritz said:

Talking to each while you play sounds like something that could ruin the atmosphere of Amnesia.

Danoss

Kritz said:
Does this mean we can be super best friends again, Danoss?
You must've missed my apology to AusGAF for my general asshattery in Steam chat.

Basically: too much WoW = arsehole Danoss. This problem has been rectified.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Kritz said:

What's amnesia.. you make it sound like it's not a video game ;_;

I'LL PLAY

Kritz

Banned
I will gladly admit to being just as much of an asshole, and using an insult that I really shouldn't have said.

Glad to have you back on the good guy's team!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just got back from 'Tangled'.

probably the best animated film of the past twelve months.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked TS3. Tangled was a world apart from it, tonally, for better or for worse.

Tangled was more surprising, whereas TS3 was, obviously, super-familiar. I'd gladly watch either again.

That said, I think Tangled was a more memorable film than TS3.

I guess what I'm saying is GET THE FUCK OUT PPFFFFF~~~~

Bernbaum

I'm taking my niece to see Tangled and I think I'm looking forward to it more than she is.

I'm replaying Mirror's Edge. The first time I've returned to that game since my fondly-remembered play back in 2008.

It's, ah, wow...... it really isn't very good at all, is it...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mirror's Edge is one of those game you need to play for an hour or two before you get the hang of how Faith moves and can start to actually appreciate some of the general level-design and get that rewarding feeling of making a few awesome jumps by (colour-aided) intuition alone.

Whenever I boot it up again I'm always very shocked at how slow the run-speed and general animation speed is.

We really need a sequel. We really need a sequel.

Bernbaum

The level design is average.

Totally broken and unnecessary combat aside, the game has too many 'confined indoor platforming' sequences. There's no rhythm or flow, it's a bit of a lottery, and you spend most of the time with Faith's face planted inches away from a big fuck-off wall texture. Worst of all there's no puzzle-solving element to any of it (in-door sections that is).

First game from this gen to age poorly like a bruised pear. I thought Mass Effect and Bioshock would lose their impact after a few years, but they hold up just fine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hamchan said:
How To Train Your Dragon also says hi
I don't know, I was underwhelmed by this. I guess I just don't have a pet fixation like some people. I thought the characters and story were kind boring. I mean, the dragon was cool, but I couldn't have cared less about Joe Maincharacterman and his coming of age story with his dad.

I mean, yeah, if every movie I saw was of a comparable quality to HTTYD, man, what a fucking amazing state the creative side of the movie industry would be in. It just didn't do it for me, though.

jambo

Rez said:
I really liked TS3. Tangled was a world apart from it, tonally, for better or for worse.

Tangled was more surprising, whereas TS3 was, obviously, super-familiar. I'd gladly watch either again.

More memorable?

incinerator scene ;_;

Kritz

Banned
It seems Amnesia night has pretty much finished. I recorded almost the entire thing (barring a little social engineering of Cryptik) and will try and edit it together later for your amusement.

We all got further than we thought we would and all have successfully been scared shitless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just love telling people about Amnesia.

You have to run and hide from monsters, you can't fight them. You can't even look at them without lowering your sanity. Oh yeah, there's a sanity metre, try and keep that up. You might trip-over on the way, just because. Sometimes your only light is from a lantern. Oh, your lantern will probably run out of oil soon. You have to hide in the dark.

Standing in the dark makes you more insane

Rahk

Multiplayer Amnesia was big success!

15ofccp.jpg

Cohsae

I like when your sanity is listed as "...". That's when you know you are in some shit.

Eternal Darkness and Penumbra: Overture (that was the first one right?) are the only other games that have really put me on edge. I mean in Dead Space or whatever you might jump when a monster pops out from behind a door or something, but Amnesia is just constantly nerve-wracking.

Rez said:
A Song of Ice and Fire. It's the hot pseudo-geek series at the moment. I really need to read it. I've heard nothing but good things.
It's nice to see good work (regardless of media or genre) get recognition. Besides, ASOIAF has been praised a few times in AusGAF over the last couple of years so I guess we're ahead of the curve. :D

markot

Banned
FYIII

Dow2: Retribution CE is available at EB for the same price as Steam, 1 buck off actually, and you get all the race unlocks, and some fancy pants pictures and posers tooooo.

rass

haha I want to see tangled but I'll have to go by myself, none of my friends will come see a Disney princess movie with me I don't think. Looks great though. HTTYD and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are both fantastic.

and wtf was that HamChan?

Bernbaum

Tntnnbltn said:
When my laptop's insides get above 70 degrees it makes flash videos laggy. :(
The rubber underside of my MacBook came off and now there's just a very hot sheet of exposed metal which has probably done a marvelous job of microwaving and permanently sterilizing my genitals.

Rez said:

After i saw the trailer for tangled all i could think was that it looked like complete garbage. I am very surprised to hear that it is a good movie.

I'm getting back into going to the cinemas regularly now so i think i might head over and see this. My girlfriend got me to watch little fockers (after i had already seen it with my disabled clients) and is going to make me watch yogi so i'm going to get her to come to tangled and true grit:lol .

It's a little unfair as i know she will really like both movies but it is what it is.

Rahk

i7 2600K were already sold out at PCCG when I checked at 10.30 this morning. Glad I ordered mine along with the rest of the parts at 2AM and paid the CC surcharge. This better be the most awesome thing ever to overcome any buyer's remorse I have right now. Now I'll just need to figure out how to put the Lego pieces together without fucking it up. Can't wait to play games at a playable framerate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom