• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rahk said:
i7 2600K were already sold out at PCCG when I checked at 10.30 this morning. Glad I ordered mine along with the rest of the parts at 2AM and paid the CC surcharge. This better be the most awesome thing ever to overcome any buyer's remorse I have right now. Now I'll just need to figure out how to put the Lego pieces together without fucking it up. Can't wait to play games at a playable framerate!

You impatient man! :D

Grats. You should get it delivered soon i would think. Tuesday at least.

Rahk

evlcookie said:
You impatient man! :D

Grats. You should get it delivered soon i would think. Tuesday at least.
I've been playing games on my crappy laptop for the past two years or so. What's another two weeks? An eternity!

Tntnnbltn

If I lie on my back with the laptop against my chest and the underside exposed then the temperature idles at ~62 degrees, so not all is lost.

Ydahs

fappenmeister said:
Did something attack it? At least its last few days in your presence were pretty chill.
The fact that it didn't fly away in the presence of humans indicated something was wrong with it. It only walked away from us to hide in a corner, only coming out when we had food :lol. My dad actually took it to a park two houses from ours yesterday where there are normally other birds. An hour later it was walking up our driveway and returned to it's home beneath our water tank :)

Maybe it's time to buy a pet...

Kritz

Banned
Finally got myself an iPhone 4, after all my stupid fucking adventures into phone shops and getting denied, jb hifi gets me set up and going in 20 minutes. The lesson is, if you want a phone, don't go to a phone store.

I wonder how long it'll take me to want to jailbreak it... Not the biggest fan of the ui... :/

Still, the thing looks super cool and it's pretty easy to type with.

Tntnnbltn

That reminds me. I need to get a new phone with Telstra.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my current phone and my beautifully cheap $20/month plan with Three. The problem is I'm moving to a regional town for work, and Three don't do coverage outside of Perth so 'hello roaming charges'.

Bernbaum

I'm about to pop Mass Effect 2 into my 360. It will be my first meaty new game for 2011 and I have been looking forward to it immensely.

I'm gonna carry over my Paragon Vanguard Lesbian Femshep which I used to pretty much smash out every possible quest in ME1 (got the 'Completionist' cheevo and completed all the DLC). I've got the Limited Edition of ME2 copy as well, brand new with a Cerberus card and everything.

I go into the game having freshly wrapped up the second novel set in the extended universe - 'Mass Effect: Ascension' by Bioware's Drew Karpyshyn, a very fun and easy to read light scifi adventure.

I've had a few key points of the game spoiled for me already - more than I'd like but I do listen to a lot of the Bombcast and the games strengths/failings have been dissected on GAF ad nauseum. Not much I can about that.

I would, however, like a friendly AusGAF fellow to address a few quick things before I dive right in:

- When do I punch in my Cerberus card? Can I do it over XBL before putting the disc in?
- I assume I can install both discs to the 360 before firing up the game, yeah?
- I've heard that
a large number of crew may not make it to end of the game, but there is a cheevo for getting all of them to survive. Are there any subtle decisions I would be best to avoid if I want to make it to the end with a full crew, or does it depend on the success/failure of a particular mission. Please don't be too spoilery
- Does Femshep only have boyfriend options or can she get back into some hot muff action? Mine was a lesbian in ME1, and I don't want to break canon.

Anything else to keep in mind for a first-time ME2 player? And yes, I know all about how RPG-lite it is and how it scales back a lot of the elements of the first game and the final boss is a bit hokey, so don't mention it...

Bernbaum said:
Are there any subtle decisions I would be best to avoid
Save before you talk to any crew members, or attempt one of their side missions. Most decisions are obvious, some are not. If you really want the achievement, it's a good idea to have some old saves.

I played the final mission perfectly but one of the conversations I'd had about halfway through the game had already tainted its outcome.

So I'm sitting here in my Mum's living room while my fiancé models her new wedding dress for my Mum in my old room. I'm not allowed to know anything about this dress until our wedding day.

Secret women's business is SERIOUS business.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
- I've heard that
a large number of crew may not make it to end of the game, but there is a cheevo for getting all of them to survive. Are there any subtle decisions I would be best to avoid if I want to make it to the end with a full crew, or does it depend on the success/failure of a particular mission. Please don't be too spoilery

I'm pretty sure it depends on, not really spoilers but the
final mission

Nemesis_

Bernbaum said:
I'm about to pop Mass Effect 2 into my 360. It will be my first meaty new game for 2011 and I have been looking forward to it immensely.

I'm gonna carry over my Paragon Vanguard Lesbian Femshep which I used to pretty much smash out every possible quest in ME1 (got the 'Completionist' cheevo and completed all the DLC). I've got the Limited Edition of ME2 copy as well, brand new with a Cerberus card and everything.

I go into the game having freshly wrapped up the second novel set in the extended universe - 'Mass Effect: Ascension' by Bioware's Drew Karpyshyn, a very fun and easy to read light scifi adventure.

I've had a few key points of the game spoiled for me already - more than I'd like but I do listen to a lot of the Bombcast and the games strengths/failings have been dissected on GAF ad nauseum. Not much I can about that.

I would, however, like a friendly AusGAF fellow to address a few quick things before I dive right in:

- When do I punch in my Cerberus card? Can I do it over XBL before putting the disc in?
- I assume I can install both discs to the 360 before firing up the game, yeah?
- I've heard that
- Does Femshep only have boyfriend options or can she get back into some hot muff action? Mine was a lesbian in ME1, and I don't want to break canon.

Anything else to keep in mind for a first-time ME2 player? And yes, I know all about how RPG-lite it is and how it scales back a lot of the elements of the first game and the final boss is a bit hokey, so don't mention it...

First of all, if you were a real fan, you would know that technically Shep is not a lesbian. :D

1.) I'd load the game up once, then punch in your code. Only because sometimes Xbox Live is a bit dicky with how it handles pre-game DLC.

2.) You can but thanks to MS's shitty mandates you'll still need to swap discs, but go ahead if you want to save time.

3.) Just make sure that everything you'd need to be "good" to survive a "battle" is obtained before running into the final mission. The mission requires large amounts of "trust" and "respect" in order to succeed without any casualties. That's the best I can do without spoiling. I think you're smart enough to fill in the gaps. =P

4.) She wasn't technically a lesbian if you were with Liara - Asari are genderless. But if you wanna be like that, then...

1 x Male Romance Option
2 x Alien Male Romance Options

1 x Alien Female "Fling" Options (Basically friends with no strings attached)
1 x Female "Fling" Option
1 x Female "Fling" Option with interesting results (You will miss this on your first playthrough, I can almost guarantee it.)

The bolded ones are pretty much the ones that are "main" options and you cannot be with these guys all at the same time. On the other hand, you can be with one of the bolded guys and then have random flings with the unbolded ones.

If you are interested in continuing your relationship throughout ME2 and into ME3, you'll have to buy the Shadow Broker DLC Pack. I did not include that option in my list above.

Kritz

Banned
How to not fuck yourself over in ME2, in less words:

Upgrade your ship all the way.
Do all the loyalty missions for your crew.
Don't swallow turian jizz.

Fredescu

Or alternatively, forget about upgrades because fuck scanning, play the parts of the game that are fun, and let people die as they will.

HolyCheck said:
are you live webstreaming the wedding for ausgaf? lol
Wife and I renewed our wedding vows in Vegas with Elvis a couple of years back and streamed it live. Biggest disappointment? It was in RealMedia.

Nemesis_

Fredescu said:
Or alternatively, forget about upgrades because fuck scanning, play the parts of the game that are fun, and let people die as they will.

I wanted to keep everyone alive just so they would appear in ME3. Well, I hope that's how it turns out. Scanning isn't even that bad if you just do the tap method, and the game is still fun if you actually think about who to send where and such to keep them alive.

I didn't find it any less fun. =/

Fredescu

If you found scanning fun, more power to you. I saw a lot people complaining about how shit it was but doing it anyway because of whatever ridiculous video game conditioning they've built up over the years.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if the crew members in ME2 play a significant, plot-relevant role in ME3 I'll (eat my hat) (buy everyone a drink) (applaud Bioware) (be very surprised)

Bernbaum

Thanks, codswallop, evl, nemesis et al.

My OCD approach to RPGs has usually served me pretty damn well. I did pretty much every sidequest and scanned every planet before getting stuck into the story missions in ME1 and was neurotic about maxing out Femshep to full Paragon.

I don't think I'll have a problem...

jambo said:
You killed everyone, didn't you Rez
:lol :lol :lol

Nemesis_

Rez said:
if the crew members in ME2 play a significant, plot-relevant role in ME3 I'll (eat my hat) (buy everyone a drink) (applaud Bioware) (be very surprised)

Yeah, the more and more I think about it, the more and more it seems less likely. I can't imagine them getting back all the rather high profile actors for some of the characters for one or two lines. <_<

Personally I hope Aria plays more of a role too. I loved her character.

HolyCheck said:
are you live webstreaming the wedding for ausgaf? lol
I'm actually thinking of live streaming it for relatives overseas, but I have no clue as to how to accomplish this, so any help would be appreciated. If it happens, I might just post the link.

Wedding's in July, by the by.

Nemesis_

evlcookie said:
I killed my specific people on purpose, i was happy :lol

The only person I've ever killed was Ashley in ME1. She was a fucking awful character and I am so glad I will never have to deal with her again.

Cohsae

Nemesis556 said:
The only person I've ever killed was Ashley in ME1. She was a fucking awful character and I am so glad I will never have to deal with her again.
I wish I had. She was so annoying in ME2.

legend166

Sitting in the ANZ car park trying to get out after watching Chris Gayle smash the NSW bowlers all over the place.

We've moved five metres after twenty minutes.

Boourns.

Deeku

Clipper said:
I'm not sure it will be in two weeks for me, but I'll be doing the same thing.
Yeah, LBP2 takes priority!

I'm excited though. I hope the interactive comic thing is decent.

Hey anyone in Melbourne know where you can get an Intel i5-2500K as opposed to the i5-2500 model? Literally every search I have done turns up shit

MSY haven't even fucking udpated to show they exist :p

Bernbaum

I am not entirely comfortable with the incredibly minor but numerous changes made to the interface and various other minutia in Mass Effect.

Salazar

Red Dead Redemption is so amazing. I know I'm late.

Motherfucker tries to jack my horse. I coolly shoot him in the back of the head and saddle back up.

I don't think much has topped that in my recent gaming :lol

jercruz

i need some advise.

i bought a PS3 40GB sometime back with extended warranty at harvey norman. Warranty ends on the 22nd this month.

last 2nd of dec, my PS3 died. Dead lens. I got back a refurb yesterday. Today, the lens died again. By sheer coincidence, the lens also died while playing the same game as the first PS3 -- Modern Warfare 2.

i'm going back to harvey norman tomorrow and want to know what are my options. i am NOT confident that sony can actually 'repair' this, and that if every i get it back the warranty will be over... I will be screwed if that does another '1 day die' on me (and i know it will not last as long as my first PS3).

can i ask harvey norman for a refund? or maybe ask them to straight up replace with a slim? tell them how unreliable sony's refurb replacements are, etc, etc.

is there anything else I can do? maybe get a refund and buy a good videocard, since I'm raging about steam lately? :D

Kritz

Banned
Oops... Was fiddling with my phone's voice contol and asked it to play a song... It instead calls & wakes up my sister. Hrm.

Nemesis_

Bernbaum said:
I am not entirely comfortable with the incredibly minor but numerous changes made to the interface and various other minutia in Mass Effect.

Everything about it is much better I feel. It doesn't feel anywhere near as clunky and everything is actually responsive, menu wise. The GUI is great.

I won't comment on gameplay changes though.

Bernbaum

Nemesis556 said:
Everything about it is much better I feel. It doesn't feel anywhere near as clunky and everything is actually responsive, menu wise. The GUI is great.

I won't comment on gameplay changes though.
Played 2 hours of it and I am a believer.

So I just realised I'll probably never get to play Sin and Punishment 2.

Why the fuck didn't I buy it when on the shelves? I'm not sure if I'm more pissed at Nintendo or myself.

Had no idea it was exclusive to JB and in very limited stock.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
i just had my mind blown with the realisation that if you have a shortcut on your desktop to a game, and add -window after its file destination.. it runs it in windowed mode

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, Joanna Newsom isn't coming to Perth. Fucking WA.

HolyCheck said:
i just had my mind blown with the realisation that if you have a shortcut on your desktop to a game, and add -window after its file destination.. it runs it in windowed mode

:lol

Rahk

teacupcopter said:
Hey anyone in Melbourne know where you can get an Intel i5-2500K as opposed to the i5-2500 model? Literally every search I have done turns up shit

MSY haven't even fucking udpated to show they exist :p
Apparently they're not coming out for another 2 weeks.

_Alkaline_ said:
So I just realised I'll probably never get to play Sin and Punishment 2.

Why the fuck didn't I buy it when on the shelves? I'm not sure if I'm more pissed at Nintendo or myself.

Had no idea it was exclusive to JB and in very limited stock.
Wait, that came out here? WHY WASN'T I TOLD?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Umart seems to have my billion in stock but then i noticed i have to fax my visa card to them? what the fuck?? :lol

On a side note. I just realised foxtel plugs into a phone socket, right? I should probably have a filter on that as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom