• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

For fuck's sake Brisbane, bugger off with the rain already.

This is totally 'stay under the covers with a hot Milo and raisin toast and watch Scrubs DVD's all day' kind if weather, if it weren't for the fact that I have work to do and that Scrubs is actually a bit shit.

I rewatched the UK run of the Office last week. I enjoy the US version just fine, but goddamn if those original 14 episodes from Gervais and co. weren't a stroke of genius.

Spent a big part of the weekend playing Enslaved, and loving it so far I just
met Pigsy and I'm currently getting the parts he needs
- how long do I have left in the game?

Also, I have a weird video game crush on Trip, in particular her rear end.

As an Ass Man, I must say that 2010 was a fantastic year for nicely rendered video game backsides. Bayonetta, Miranda Lawson & Trip, oh my.

/sad perviness

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
games that should be on everyone's radar that isn't on your radar:

--->GHOST TRICK<---

jambo

Played 4 hours of STALKER SoC last night. It's incredibly different to play this game after playing 2-3 RPGs. I'm looting like crazy, doing any side quests I can and upgrading/buying/selling constantly.

Such an amazing game with the Complete Mod 2009.

BanShunsaku said:
Spent a big part of the weekend playing Enslaved, and loving it so far I just
met Pigsy and I'm currently getting the parts he needs
- how long do I have left in the game?

Also, I have a weird video game crush on Trip, in particular her rear end.

As an Ass Man, I must say that 2010 was a fantastic year for nicely rendered video game backsides. Bayonetta, Miranda Lawson & Trip, oh my.

/sad perviness

I actually played and finished this over the weekend, I would say your more then halfway easily. And yeah I have to agree with you about Trip.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday playing BLOPS multi as I felt like some twitch gaming. Then last night decided to have another game or two before bed and instead spent over an hour futzing about with the movie editor thing. I could spend a lot of time in this thing... if I was any good at shooters.

jambo

I uninstalled Blops the other night, to make room for STALKER SoC.

I really never got in to it. Zombie mode was fun, but not 'play for hours and hours' fun.

Bernbaum said:
For fuck's sake Brisbane, bugger off with the rain already.

This is totally 'stay under the covers with a hot Milo and raisin toast and watch Scrubs DVD's all day' kind if weather, if it weren't for the fact that I have work to do and that Scrubs is actually a bit shit.

I rewatched the UK run of the Office last week. I enjoy the US version just fine, but goddamn if those original 14 episodes from Gervais and co. weren't a stroke of genius.

How dare you.

jambo

Bernbaum said:
Scrubs is actually a bit shit.

0ZnkS.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved it up to and including Season 5. Then I never really saw 6 and 7, but I really enjoyed the last season.

The final episode was fantastic.

jambo

Seasons 1-5 were pure gold, 6 was ok, 7 was horrible, but 8 was a return to form. The finale is one of my favourite episodes of anything ever. The song at the end is perfect.
manly tears

Bernbaum

Scrubs was an intrinsically average and contrived piece of entertainment that I still managed to enjoy somehow.

Just like Red Dead Redemption!

My enjoyment of the show was bolstered by watching it with a bunch of female friends of mine who loved it to bits and I probably wouldn’t have liked it weren’t it for the fun social association of watching the show in their company. We would re-watch it over and over and do that losery thing of blurting out quotes of our favourite bits just before the character did. There were some moments of quality writing and the characterisation was pretty good if a little one-dimensional. I think the story arc for the core characters could have been told much better if it ran for two or three seasons less and didn’t re-hash a lot of ideas.

Watching it recently, however, it’s crap.

As a comparison, if I had watched the Scott Pilgrim movie 5 years ago, I would have absolutely loved it as it had all these little bites of stuff that I think is rad (video games, indie kid disenchantment and punkrock). However, my modern-day sensibilities are honed to a fine degree that I was able to peer through the cheap tinsel and see it for the bad film that it was.

jambo

So your modern day sensibilities have made you in to a cranky old man who doesn't like video games, punk rock or fun?

ec02D.jpg

Danoss

I enjoyed the Scott Pilgrim film and don't think it could have been adapted any better. The comics however, have a level of charm that is hard to capture.

Mar

Contrary to popular belief, I am still alive, at least in the literal sense of the word.

I have moved to Newtown where hot chicks are abundant and in every direction, and there are just as many bars, cafes and pubs. Everything is around the corner from my house and work is a short bus trip away. I will even have time to enjoy it all soon.

I will supposedly have internet this week sometime. I never thought I'd miss the internet much but after almost a month of Optus 3G browsing on my iPhone, I'm ready to murder anyone who claims to be an affiliate. It's an absolute miracle the phone is still in one piece.

Gamecrux hasn't been updated for just as long, but that's soon to change. All contributing authors have been conspiring via email for weeks now and have decided on the Gamecrux games of the year awards, with each of us having a small blurb on the games we've played. If I do end up with internet this week then the article will hopefully be up before the end of it, then we plan to record a goatse podcast too, with all authors present (the 5 of us).

Having had possibly the worst year of my life last year (especially the end of it), I'm looking forward to things being better this time around. I can't imagine it being worse than the last, but I said that last year too... Things come in threes don't they?

Video games.

Bernbaum

A better way of putting it is that Scrubs is for vaginas.

If you have a vagina (are female) or you are a vagina (are male, but also a pussy), then you’ll love Scrubs!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jambo said:
Seasons 1-5 were pure gold, 6 was ok, 7 was horrible, but 8 was a return to form. The finale is one of my favourite episodes of anything ever. The song at the end is perfect.
manly tears
and iiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiryeye.

love it when you sing to me~

MrSerrels

I'm not usually one to hate on stuff, but Scrubs is arse cream.

My wife watches it, and if I have to watch another montage, with a rubbish indie acoustic song, and a half arsed "you know, sometimes it all just works out fine" voiceover I'm going to tear out ever last one of my pubic hairs with my bare hands.

sjt333

jambo said:
manly tears
Not as sad as My Screw Up though

legend166

Mar said:
Contrary to popular belief, I am still alive, at least in the literal sense of the word.

I have moved to Newtown where hot chicks are abundant and in every direction, and there are just as many bars, cafes and pubs. Everything is around the corner from my house and work is a short bus trip away. I will even have time to enjoy it all soon.

I will supposedly have internet this week sometime. I never thought I'd miss the internet much but after almost a month of Optus 3G browsing on my iPhone, I'm ready to murder anyone who claims to be an affiliate. It's an absolute miracle the phone is still in one piece.

Gamecrux hasn't been updated for just as long, but that's soon to change. All contributing authors have been conspiring via email for weeks now and have decided on the Gamecrux games of the year awards, with each of us having a small blurb on the games we've played. If I do end up with internet this week then the article will hopefully be up before the end of it, then we plan to record a goatse podcast too, with all authors present (the 5 of us).

Having had possibly the worst year of my life last year (especially the end of it), I'm looking forward to things being better this time around. I can't imagine it being worse than the last, but I said that last year too... Things come in threes don't they?

Video games.

Damn, sorry to hear about that mar.

Do you mind me asking what happened?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I would really love to have a couple of clear sunny days in a row at some point this summer.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
Watch Eastbound & Down instead.
A year ago, that's exactly what I would've said. But then I discovered It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's the current generation's equivalent of Citizen Kane, no hyperbole.

Shaneus

Do it. I shit you not when I say it's the best live-action sitcom I've seen in yonks. It has it's ups and downs but overall, the average of all the episodes is well above anything I've seen in the last 10 years.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
http://www.news.com.au/business/whi...-hottest-in-2011/story-e6frfm1i-1225984902835

Video games

Once viewed as a teenage fad, video games continue to defy their doubters and are well and truly established as a booming part of Australia’s entertainment economy.

Teenagers originally enamoured with video games are now adults continuing to play, and new generations of Australians continue to get involved with growth stemming from a variety of factors.

“Older gamers are maintaining their interest at the same time as new gamers embrace industry products as a fresh form of entertainment with female gamers opening up additional avenues for revenue as a burgeoning new audience,” Mr Bryant says.

IBISWorld forecasts Australia’s video games sector will grow by 11.9 per cent ($433.85 million) in 2011.

Does anyone believe that? Gaz? Choc?

I wonder if the growth will come from iOS developers or current gen platforms since we seem to have a few successful iOS guys.

Mar

Clipper said:
OK, now that Mar is back and all, we need to get around to a proper SydGAF meetup. I'm in for virtually whenever.

Yes, this needs to happen.

evlcookie said:
Welcome back Mar, You should be happy to hear that everyone in aus-pc-gaf likes NFS, including myself :lol

Except I don't like it that much... Actually that's not true, I do like it quite a bit. But I've found it gets boring and annoying after long play sessions. I do need to spend more time in the online game though before I make my final judgment.

legend166 said:
Damn, sorry to hear about that mar.

Do you mind me asking what happened?

My dog died who was my best and closest friend. Everything has been weird ever since. My Aunt also died in the same week, who was married to my Uncle who died almost a year ago to that day. Work was strange too but I don't want to go into that, as well as a near disaster related to work that was my worst day there. I was also shafted by a few people which I didn't appreciate much, but you live and learn. I kept myself busy by moving house which was 4 weeks of chaos, and just now able to start relaxing (which could be bad...).

Oh, I did manage to post my top 10 of 2010 though: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/mar/best-of-2010/46-51223/

At least the year in gaming was pretty damn cool.

Choc

Banned
this might interest you serrels

http://www.news.com.au/business/whi...-hottest-in-2011/story-e6frfm1i-1225984902835

IBISWorld forecasts Australia’s video games sector will grow by 11.9 per cent ($433.85 million) in 2011.

FUCK. BEATEN :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

i will read more into it and comment later. However Video Games year on year have been getting a lot bigger in Australia

In 2008 9 billion dollars was contributed to the Australian Economy via digital interactive entertainment from memory.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
Except I don't like it that much... Actually that's not true, I do like it quite a bit. But I've found it gets boring and annoying after long play sessions. I do need to spend more time in the online game though before I make my final judgment.

I believe there have been some pretty cool online sessions with us all on the PC, I think that's where the majority of the fun is being had. Also me beating race times on autolog but that's just me enjoying that part :lol

Shaneus

Choc said:

i will read more into it and comment later. However Video Games year on year have been getting a lot bigger in Australia

In 2008 9 billion dollars was contributed to the Australian Economy via digital interactive entertainment from memory.
$433 million profit for the Melbourne Mana Bar?

MrSerrels

Choc said:

This totally does interest me!

Also interesting in the context of John 'I always have to copy and paste his name' Riccitiello's comments about Digital overtaking Retail.

My gut feeling is that it's correct. Gaming should grow massively over the next year - new Nintendo hardware, iPad/iPhone gaming hasn't maxed out in terms of a broader audience. I think gaming will continue to be a growth industry for as long as there are people who don't play games.

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
Sure, I believe it. I also believe 99.99% of that number will be made up from retail, not development.

Brick and mortar retail? I don't know. I think a lot of that growth will come through mobile gaming surely? When it comes to iPhone and iPad gaming, I think we're at the bottom of a massive curve in the upwards direction.

But yeah, probably won't be seeing much growth when it comes to development here. :(

legend166

Mar said:
Yes, this needs to happen.

My dog died who was my best and closest friend. Everything has been weird ever since. My Aunt also died in the same week, who was married to my Uncle who died almost a year ago to that day. Work was strange too but I don't want to go into that, as well as a near disaster related to work that was my worst day there. I was also shafted by a few people which I didn't appreciate much, but you live and learn. I kept myself busy by moving house which was 4 weeks of chaos, and just now able to start relaxing (which could be bad...).

Oh, I did manage to post my top 10 of 2010 though: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/mar/best-of-2010/46-51223/

At least the year in gaming was pretty damn cool.

Ouch, that is a tough couple of months. You have my condolences.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Brick and mortar retail? I don't know. I think a lot of that growth will come through mobile gaming surely? When it comes to iPhone and iPad gaming, I think we're at the bottom of a massive curve in the upwards direction.

But yeah, probably won't be seeing much growth when it comes to development here. :(

Mobile gaming and E-stores within Australia

take that Gerry

T1tan

Neo Member
Clipper said:
OK, now that Mar is back and all, we need to get around to a proper SydGAF meetup. I'm in for virtually whenever.

This. Although I suspect with work sending me overseas for 6 weeks I'll probably miss out. Forever alone.

jambo

Mar said:
We definitely need to have another AusGAF games night with NFS and Mumble.

Kritz

Banned
Just started fiddling with the neogaf web app, and it's really good. Starting to learn the phone's short-cuts, but I still really hate the lack of punctuation in the default (and unchangable ?) keyboard. I mostly just wanna use apostrophes and commas, like normal humans.

Will play some game dev story soon. Any other good games I should buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom