• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyGuy

eBay double-dipping fees are pissing me off, anyone here use Oztion for selling? (and buying, I guess)

I just hate how you sell something on eBay and you're forced to include paypal as an option, then when something is sold you get slugged fees on eBay AND on paypal.

Mar

Agyar said:
This was bound to happen eventually. Giant Bomb poineering it is not unsurprising either, given Whiskey Media's forward thinking and staff member's (aka Jeff G) previous history with the double edged sword of advertising revenue.

For the record, I'm going to go for a yearly sub. These guys give me more entertainment than the video games themselves, and I'm always a proponent of people getting paid for doing something awesome.

I wish someone had done this a long time ago. If people were getting paid to make great content, we might still have the best in the business entertaining us. Idle Thumbs, GFW, classic 1up Yours. Who knows? I mean, they obviously love doing that, and if they earned money from it and didn't need to move into another job, we might still be enjoying that stuff now.

However, Giant Bomb splitting the podcast is probably a really bad idea. There must have been a better way... Because that's going to get the internets really angry.

teekun

Mar said:

They've done it in a really smart way, I'm surprised. I clicked that link ready to rage about how a purely paid podcast will never work, and see that they're not actually restricting it entirely. Everyone gets the first hour for free when it releases, and paid subscribers get the second hour at the same time, while everyone else gets it a week later. That seems pretty fair.

I just hope the quality of the show doesn't change with them trying to fit the show into hour segments or something.

edit: wow, apparently I am the only person in existence who doesn't have a problem with this.

Clipper

markot said:
I think I heard about some app or somesuch, maybe its cydia only though, that lets you take 'screen shots' for your iphone or mobile....

You can take screenshots of anything with the iPhone without jailbreaking. You just hold the power button and push the main button and it will save a screenshot of whatever is on the screen to your photos directory. It doesn't help for Mar's video needs, unfortunately.

trinest

teekun said:
They've done it in a really smart way, I'm surprised. I clicked that link ready to rage about how a purely paid podcast will never work, and see that they're not actually restricting it entirely. Everyone gets the first hour for free when it releases, and paid subscribers get the second hour at the same time, while everyone else gets it a week later. That seems pretty fair.

I just hope the quality of the show doesn't change with them trying to fit the show into hour segments or something.

edit: wow, apparently I am the only person in existence who doesn't have a problem with this.
I agree with you- at the end of the day Free users are still getting the same content- just the second half is delayed- and I don't listen to it that much either so it dosn't really bother me.

And if it is as good as people say it is- then I no doubt belive people will pay for it- I think its a smart move.

This however wouldn't work for say if VOOK decided it was a good idea and decided to do it with his podcasts.

Agyar

Mar said:
For the record, I'm going to go for a yearly sub. These guys give me more entertainment than the video games themselves, and I'm always a proponent of people getting paid for doing something awesome.

I wish someone had done this a long time ago. If people were getting paid to make great content, we might still have the best in the business entertaining us. Idle Thumbs, GFW, classic 1up Yours. Who knows? I mean, they obviously love doing that, and if they earned money from it and didn't need to move into another job, we might still be enjoying that stuff now.

However, Giant Bomb splitting the podcast is probably a really bad idea. There must have been a better way... Because that's going to get the internets really angry.

I would pay Idle Thumbs $50 a year to just make a weekly podcast and nothing else.

giri

Mar said:

Seems fair to me, it would be a very time consuming portion of their job, along with all the writtent reviews that they still pump out. And i don't normally listen to them, but i'm guessing they don't have ad's during the podcasts? if they don't, then it's a time consuming task that generates very little (the ad on the page you download it from) revenue for them.

I love me some Giant Bomb, and I will probably subscribe, but I agree with the sentiments that splitting the Bombcast is a bad idea.

And the fact that I'm gonna have to pay $10 US extra is a bit rubbish as well.

But having said that, I look forward to listening to the Bombcast every week, and when I think of all the entertainment that the site has provided in the last year or two I really don't mind.

Mar

Agyar said:
I would pay Idle Thumbs $50 a year to just make a weekly podcast and nothing else.

I'd pay triple that. Idle Thumbs has been the media I've enjoyed most since they started. Out of all forms of media, TV, movies, music.

trinest

They should make the pricing system a "pay your own price".

Some people will put in Fuck all- others will put in to much.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
trinest said:
This however wouldn't work for say if VOOK decided it was a good idea and decided to do it with his podcasts.

I wouldn't charge people for our podcast... it's not worthy paying for.

Agyar

People are being fairly harsh on Whiskey Media and Giant Bomb for the changes they're proposing. A day ago, Giant Bomb could do no wrong but all it takes is a direct cost to the consumer for a lot of fans to uncork the vitriol. People are constantly crying out for new business models where they can pay a little and get the high quality media they want, when and how they want it but when push comes to shove, pay a little becomes pay nothing at all.

hamchan

Mar said:

I think this is a very bad idea.

Ach, I'm leading in post counts in the thread about this too :(

Agyar said:
People are being fairly harsh on Whiskey Media and Giant Bomb for the changes they're proposing. A day ago, Giant Bomb could do no wrong but all it takes is a direct cost to the consumer for a lot of fans to uncork the vitriol. People are constantly crying out for new business models where they can pay a little and get the high quality media they want, when and how they want it but when push comes to shove, pay a little becomes pay nothing at all.

No they announced the payment models a while ago and everybody was fine that.

They only just announced the split podcast today. Snide promised everyone that no content would be taken away. This is taking content away. What people are unhappy about is that they're taking away content from free members to inflate the value of the subscription service. I was all fine for paying for the service because I wanted to support the guys and the website but with this split bombcast I just don't know anymore. I can't support bad business decisions and being forced to pay for something that has been free for a long time.

giri

hamchan said:
I think this is a very bad idea.

Ach, I'm leading in post counts in the thread about this too :(

They only just announced the split podcast today. Snide promised everyone that no content would be taken away. This is taking content away. What people are unhappy about is that they're taking away content from free members to inflate the value of the subscription service. I was all fine for paying for the service because I wanted to support the guys and the website but with this split bombcast I just don't know anymore. I can't support bad business decisions and being forced to pay for something that has been free for a long time.

All free things come to an end.

And the contents still there, just a week late.

People are reacting as if this is a $50 a month fee, it's $50 for a year. You pay more for a box set of dvd's.

Aon

Throughout the year you get roughly a hundred hours of Bombcast. Even if this wall the subscription service offered, $50 for a hundred hours of content is hardly unreasonable. People who are complaining about not being able to pay shouldn't be gaming in the first place as the average 12 hour FPS is more than a year's worth of Giant Bomb +

People really just need to suck it up. And stop talking about "just putting ads in the free version". Listen to the godamn podcast and they explain that this isn't an economic model and that they've tried pursuing that road. The bombcast being broken up won't ruin the flow as they're intelligent people and have already started plans to adjust the structure of the show such that the flow will still work. People on the internet have such godamn entitlement issues.

It makes me infinitely angry.

Argh.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The thing i find odd with paying for a podcast is that you are now paying for someone's opinion on a range of topics. I dunno why, but i find that just a little strange.

I don't visit giantbomb, i find the podcast dull and annoying as fuck, but they are more than welcome to try and make money off those who do enjoy the site. If it's increasing in traffic as lead to be believed then good luck to them and to those who pay for it, enjoy the content.

Aon

hamchan said:

Double Aon post mutha's.

This argument seems a bit bullshit to me. Knowing the internet, this seems to be a trend more indicative of people's willingness to be theoretically charitable in order to look good in front of peers but being fundamentally unwilling to pay when push comes to shove, or were shocked out of paying by the higher than expected $50 price tag.

For most people the protest on behalf of the "poor disenfranchised free users" seems like a very convenient excuse to not only justify not paying but also gain peer kudos at the same time.

Your frustration with Giantbomb's potential difficulty getting new members without the 2hour podcast we all love sucking them in and the overt paywall being off putting is one of the few arguments which seems genuine among all those other people.

I reiterate, godamn internet. Hopefully Giantbomb have done some testing or whatever and found that this bullshit somewhat illusionary GAF backslash is outweighed by the "typical consumer" who also doesn't feel the need to riot when people charge for used game online and just enjoys a decent videogame.

/catharsis.

[retreats once again from thread]

They've basically adopted the a similar model to the guys who do the Mysterious Universe podcast. I think Audible Podcasts (Amazon) have been doing similar stuff for a while now. Everyone gets the free show, but subscribers get a longer weekly show plus an extra weekend show each week. When I first heard it explained, I thought it was genius.

They're basically offering quality entertainment, but to an extremely niche market, so distributing via a broadcasting channel (TV, radio) just isn't viable. Essentially, no advertiser will pay enough to keep the show on the air. It doesn't matter how good the show is or how passionate the fans of the show might be about it, the economics of it will never work.

The answer, then, is narrowcasting and getting revenue directly off the audience. The success of DVD box sets for TV series over the last ten years or so has proven that people are prepared to pay for content provided that the content is high quality and that they get the convenience of consuming it as they wish. Of course, with DVD box sets, people often sample the content for free via TV before committing to buy, so you need to do something analagous to this for podcasts. The trick is finding a price that people are prepared to pay.

I see this sort of thing as part of the future of Internet "TV" networks. Content is available for free, yes, but if you pay a fee, you get it fast, you get it in its best form and you get to use it in ways others won't be able to.

Mind you, I don't actually like the Giant Bombcast. I think that Jeff guy is an unfunny douchebag and they never talk about the kinds of games I have any interest in at all, or when they do, they give it a two minute spiel and move on to generic FPS #3453. Meh.

Rahk

rass said:
Rahk - I'm selling my car and going back to year round 2 wheeling, have you found anything yet?
Congrats!

I'm thinking I'll get a new, or close to it, CB400. Looks like a great beginner bike and I'm sure it would last my LAMS period. It's quite expensive though. I have yet to go looking, but probably will in the next few weeks. I'll sit on a few different bikes and see how it goes. I like the look of it compared to a lot of other LAMS bikes.

Also thinking about the 650 Suzuki and Kawasaki LAM models, but I don't like the idea of spending the same amount for a restricted model.

Was also considering the Suzuki GS500 since it's cheap, but the CB400 seems to be a better bike, and I figure if I have to ride it for at least 3 years I should get something I'm really happy with. The GS500 is also kind of bland looking.

rass

Rahk said:
Congrats!

I'm thinking I'll get a new, or close to it, CB400. Looks like a good beginner bike and I'm sure it would last my LAMS period. It's quite expensive though. I have yet to go looking, but probably will in the next few weeks. I'll sit on a few and see how it goes.
Nice, I'll probably end up on an unrestricted sv650 or a kawasaki zr7 depending on what's comfy to ride. It'll only be a year long stop-gap until I have the confidence to get on a Triumph Street Triple 675 :D. CB400 looks sexy man, and good call on getting something with more go than a 250!

Going for a look on Saturday :), will start trying to sell my car after the snow season is up, I want to be on a bike by November.

Choc

Banned
I will sub to Giantbomb i think depending on costs.....

but

the second hour delayed for a week unless you have become a paying member

They just lost the right to bitch about the Silver delay for Live demos

anyone thinking of picking up Ruse? i tried it last night on PS3 and kinda liked it (PSNdemo)

i think it will be really good with move so might wait till next week

anyone else?

I think I will pay but I dont care about any of the content except their podcast. Oh well. I'm not going to subscribe until after their '5000 subscriber' thing is up though. If they get that many and the podcast goes free then I will have wasted my money subscribing.

rass

I've never listened to a podcast in my life, I don't know why but it just doesn't appeal to me

evlcookie said:
Will buy your car for $5

And the nanos are small, i got it right this time! Kinda neat looking.
you can have it for $6,000 :)
good nick, station wagons are useful and stuff too.
Has a new alternator and timing belt assembly too.

go on, treat yourself.

caromelo

I haven't really decided if I'll pay for their premium content, however I'm curious to see whether splitting up the bombcast will cause certain people to resort to 'pirating' the second half of the podcast. It's a solid idea though for one of the most entertaining gaming websites out there.

Fredescu

rass said:
I've never listened to a podcast in my life, I don't know why but it just doesn't appeal to me
I used to be like that too, but they're good to listen to while you're doing something else. Driving or playing a slightly mindless but fun video game.

rass said:
good nick, station wagons are useful and stuff too.
Station wagons are the best wagons.

Rahk

Giant Bomb splitting the podcast and charging for it is fine with me. They're even offering it for free after a week, so I don't see the problem. If you don't want to pay, just listen to every episode a week later. You'll still be getting an episode each week. It's not like the games they talk about are going to be irrelevant a week later. I guess they'll do news in the free portion.

There are non-gaming podcasts that have 30 mins or so free and if you want the rest you have to pay for it, never releasing it for free (Never Not Funny comes to mind).

I'm not a big fan of the podcast. I usually just listen to it because there's nothing better to do at work, so I won't be paying for it. Even now I'm two episodes behind, so it's not going to make a difference for me.

rass said:
Nice, I'll probably end up on an unrestricted sv650 or a kawasaki zr7 depending on what's comfy to ride. It'll only be a year long stop-gap until I have the confidence to get on a Triumph Street Triple 675 :D. CB400 looks sexy man, and good call on getting something with more go than a 250!

Going for a look on Saturday :), will start trying to sell my car after the snow season is up, I want to be on a bike by November.
Yeah, I love the multicoloured CB400s.

I saw someone riding a Street Triple. It looked awesome.

I was think of getting the SV650S LAMS, but like I said, I don't like the idea of spending the same price for a restricted model that is unable to be unrestricted. I'll still probably have a look at it though.

Let me know what you end up getting and how it is.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Have you asked vook? I'm sure he has eyes going to TGS but a second paid could be useful.

I also have no idea what they are announcing there. I doubt ico 3 or whats it called will be playable, so just give us general impressions of the show and all that :D

TheFury

Did you get a Samsung Galaxy S? I'm looking into getting one, but need to decide on a plan first. Swype looks great from the video reviews I've seen.

Fredescu

The annoying thing about Swype is that it was going to be a paid app, but they took it off the market because Samsung and I think Motorola paid them for exclusivity. You can still install an unofficial beta version on HTC and other devices but you have to jump through a few hoops. I wouldn't be suprised to see it end up on Apple devices.

markot

Banned
Fredescu said:
The annoying thing about Swype is that it was going to be a paid app, but they took it off the market because Samsung and I think Motorola paid them for exclusivity. You can still install an unofficial beta version on HTC and other devices but you have to jump through a few hoops. I wouldn't be suprised to see it end up on Apple devices.
I think they want a deal with apple, not a paid app thingy. They are doing a beta for android, but they want deals with handset makers, Nokia is getting it too. They own the patent for the thing, and im guessing there is alot more money in having manufacturers pay for it, rather then having it used as an app or seperate thing for customers to choose. Samsung, Motorola and Nokia I think are the only ones who get it officially so far.

I dont think its an exclusivity thing, its a 'pay us apple!' thing.

Fredescu

I meant the Android market, not the iPhone thingo. I thought Apple didn't allow keyboard replacements and the like on their store? So it would have to be a deal with Apple or nothing at all.

giri

Fredescu said:
I meant the Android market, not the iPhone thingo. I thought Apple didn't allow keyboard replacements and the like on their store? So it would have to be a deal with Apple or nothing at all.

This.

Apple won't let people replace certain functions as it destroys the "image and feel" of the phone. i.e. you can't do what we do, better, NO YOU CAN'T LALALALALALALLALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING.

Mar

giri said:
This.

Apple won't let people replace certain functions as it destroys the "image and feel" of the phone. i.e. you can't do what we do, better, NO YOU CAN'T LALALALALALALLALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING.

Well, to be fair, Apple's whole philosophy with technology is a unified design. As soon as they allow other things to bolt on willy nilly they may as well just be Windows but with a different name.

Not that I particularly like Apple, but I can see where they are coming from.

Mar said:
Well, to be fair, Apple's whole philosophy with technology is a unified design. As soon as they allow other things to bolt on willy nilly they may as well just be Windows but with a different name.

Not that I particularly like Apple, but I can see where they are coming from.

To be fair, nobody's saying Swype will replace the keyboard UI, just the functionality.

hirokazu

Fredescu said:
Well there's no way to get it to work system-wide on iPhone unless it's implemented into iOS by Apple, or released as a jailbreak app. There are similar keyboard apps on the App Store and they require you to copy and paste what you type into the relevant app. So much fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom