• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

ShyGuy said:
eBay double-dipping fees are pissing me off, anyone here use Oztion for selling? (and buying, I guess)

I just hate how you sell something on eBay and you're forced to include paypal as an option, then when something is sold you get slugged fees on eBay AND on paypal.
I used OZtion once. Nothing to complain about it that one time, I guess.

Cut/pasted from my post on the previous page:

Megadrive's building a PC

My parents recently remembered (I had forgotten also) that they hadn't bought me a 21st present and are cool with me spending $1000-1100 on a new PC.

Fred and a few others were helping me build a PC tonight and I'm modifying a build Fred's making for somebody else. This was Fred's build with an AMD CPU:

Gaming Case Lancool PC-K58 (tool-less) no PSU Black $99
MotherBoard AMD AM3 Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 1.0) (all in 1/AM3/DDR3 only) $119
CPU/Processor AMD AM3 Phenom II x6 1055T (Turbo Core 2.8GHz/9MB/125W) $235
Power Supply 620w Seasonic S12II Bronze $149
RAM Desktop DDR3 Ram 4GB Kit (2x2048MB) PC10666 1333MHz Patriot PSD34G1333KH 9-9-9-24 (AM3 & intel S1156, S775) $103
Video Card PCI-e (nV) GTX 460 1024MB OC Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI (715/3600MHz) $279
HDD 3.5" HDD SATA-300 2TB (2000GB) 32MB/7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar™ 7K2000 $155

This is my modified build with an AMD CPU/Mobo:
Mobo AMD AM3 Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 $108
CPU AMD AM3 Phenom II x6 1055T (Turbo Core 2.8GHz/9MB/125W) $220
PSU 620w Seasonic S12II Bronze $135
RAM Corsair DDR3 4GB PC-10600/1333 (2x XMS3 2GB) CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 Ram $106.7
GPU GTX 460 1024MB OC Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI (715/3600MHz) $ 260
HDD Seagate SATA 1.5 TB HDD $99
Extra Thermaltake Contac 29 CPU Cooler $46.2
Cost: $974.9

This is modified with an Intel CPU/Mobo:
Mobo Asus P7P55D-E-LX Intel Mainboard - 4x DDR3 / 6x Sata Raid / Gigabit Lan / LGA 1156 $145
CPU Intel Core i5-760 2.80Ghz (LGA1156) CPU Genuine Retail Box $238
Cost: $1029.90

Are there any components I should possibly change? Is there an advantage to using the AMD over the Intel or vice versa? My budget is around $1000-1100 and I'd like a mid-high range computer for gaming (TF2, Trackmania Nations is what I primarily playing atm, want to try out newer higher-req games) if that's possible.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ydahs said:
Nineteen today :)

... and still don't have my Ls...

Happy birthday!

as a present I googled Ydahs, and this was there.

f9occw.jpg

Ydahs

Syth_Blade22 said:
Happy birthday!

as a present I googled Ydahs, and this was there.

f9occw.jpg
Wow thanks :lol

Ydahs is actually my real name backwards. Been meaning to ask an admin if they could possibly change it to Shady.

giri

Mar said:
Well, to be fair, Apple's whole philosophy with technology is a unified design. As soon as they allow other things to bolt on willy nilly they may as well just be Windows but with a different name.

Not that I particularly like Apple, but I can see where they are coming from.

This is part of why i avoid purchasing apple products. Once i buy it, its not your device, so back the F off. If i want to replace the keyboard, i should be able too. If i want to have a photo as my background on my i* i should be able too. My i* device is not an advertisement for the next guy, it's my device and if i want to have a rotating gallery of giant tits as my background, then its none of your business.

Agyar

BSS said:
My only comment is that an i5-6xx and H55 combo is designed around having integrated graphics. i5-7xx and P55 drops that stuff. The price would be about the same. CPU clock is a little lower, but is quad core instead of dual.

I bought a i5-760 + Intel DP55WB with pl0k when SC2 launched. It's a basic, no-bullshit mATX board. No USB3 though.

What case did you get BSS, for the mATX config?

Ydahs

So far we have six people who have joined. A few more and it'll work out nicely.

Just click on the image above, read the rules and enter your tip.

It's an interesting system, where you only tip for one team a week and you can't tip them for the remainder of the competition. So you need to take into account the weeks ahead too.

Deadline is 7:30 PM tonight!

GO GO GO!

ShyGuy

Excellent Halo Reach price!

I, on the other hand, went for the entire Halo Reach Limited Edition console LOL

I think it's a pretty good deal, Console "S", two controllers, Halo Reach and Red Dead Redemption for $549

ShyGuy

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm getting the sweep.

Console with Red Dead
Limited
Legendary

I know, I'm not well.
WTF so you will end up with THREE different versions of the game?

Surely that's not all for you?!?

So I signed up for my yearly Giant Bomb Whiskey Media subscription.

I was feeling a bit miffed about the whole thing yesterday but after thinking more about it last night I came to the conclusion that so long at they keep up the entertaining podcasts and quicklooks I have no problem paying for it.

I've also become quite partial to screened.com so I will be getting enough value out of the multipass aspect.

Anyone else sign up?

ShyGuy

giri said:
This is part of why i avoid purchasing apple products. Once i buy it, its not your device, so back the F off. If i want to replace the keyboard, i should be able too. If i want to have a photo as my background on my i* i should be able too. My i* device is not an advertisement for the next guy, it's my device and if i want to have a rotating gallery of giant tits as my background, then its none of your business.
Well, for the record on every Mac (iMac, Mac Mini, Macbooks, etc) you can replace the keyboard and the desktop background...

On iPhones and iPod Touches you can also specify your own background....

Mar

BanShunsaku said:

I was feeling a bit miffed about the whole thing yesterday but after thinking more about it last night I came to the conclusion that so long at they keep up the entertaining podcasts and quicklooks I have no problem paying for it.

I've also become quite partial to screened.com so I will be getting enough value out of the multipass aspect.

Anyone else sign up?

I haven't yet, but I'm going to. I've moved a lot of money around lately and so don't have any cash in my main account at all, which is linked to my debit card. So I might not get to sign up for a week yet... We'll see.

I really hope this ends up being successful for them. I want this sort of thing to become general practice for quality content, because we've lost too many really talented people to 'real' jobs because it's just unsustainable as it is now.

giri

ShyGuy said:
Well, for the record on every Mac (iMac, Mac Mini, Macbooks, etc) you can replace the keyboard and the desktop background...

On iPhones and iPod Touches you can also specify your own background....

You might be able to set an image on the iPhone, but you can no longer use an app that rotates the pictures every x period of time. Why ? because apple decided that that, detracts from the look and feel that they want the user to experience on the phone. So they removed the app from the marketplace and have refused to re-classify it.

No, i aint joking.

Mar said:
I really hope this ends up being successful for them. I want this sort of thing to become general practice for quality content, because we've lost too many really talented people to 'real' jobs because it's just unsustainable as it is now.

I too hope that this works out for them. T shirt looks good as well!

Now to download the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run! :D

Deeku

BanShunsaku said:

Anyone else sign up?
I've also thought about it a bit more now. And yeah, I've come to the same conclusion. In the end, I'm really paying to support them and not paying specifically for extra content. 50 bones to keep the guys going is nothing.

Agyar

Mar said:
I haven't yet, but I'm going to. I've moved a lot of money around lately and so don't have any cash in my main account at all, which is linked to my debit card. So I might not get to sign up for a week yet... We'll see.

About to pull the trigger on a yearly subscription. I've always been a proponent of quality media at a reasonable cost and I think this applies to online content as well. One of the GB guys said they would rather be in business with their readers than with advertisers and I think this way of doing business has a lot of strength. The mobile site is probably the biggest drawcard for me, as I tend to consume this type of media on my iPhone more than anywhere else. I previously bought their iPhone app to enable that method of delivery and now I'll be subscribing to continue access to that delivery.

Edit: I am now a Whiskey Media subscriber.

Agyar said:
About to pull the trigger on a yearly subscription. I've always been a proponent of quality media at a reasonable cost and I think this applies to online content as well. One of the GB guys said they would rather be in business with their readers than with advertisers and I think this way of doing business has a lot of strength. The mobile site is probably the biggest drawcard for me, as I tend to consume this type of media on my iPhone more than anywhere else. I previously bought their iPhone app to enable that method of delivery and now I'll be subscribing to continue access to that delivery.

Edit: I am now a Whiskey Media subscriber.

I'm also going to start downloading a whole heap of stuff to watch on my iPhone, which adds a lot of value to me as my Optus 3g connection is slow as shit!

Fredescu

Rass built a nice machine from memory. I think it was an i7-920 and a GTX260, so you'd be getting a better CPU than you've budgeted for, and maybe 6GB triple channel RAM, but a lesser video card.

If you don't go for his box, I would definitely suggest adding a new case to your build. Putting nice new bits into an old ratty case can be a pain.

Agyar

Ok so my new PC is shaping up to be the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 Processor LGA1156 2.8GHz 8MB Cache $238.00
Mobo: Intel BOXDP55WB uATX LGA1156 DDR3 1333Mhz $128
RAM: Corsair CM3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 $144.00
PSU: CoolerMaster 700W Silent Pro Modular $181.00
CASE: Silverstone Sugo SG03 mATX Black $113
HDD: 2x Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M $78.00

Will follow up with a video card purchase next month if/when the new cards come out. If that takes too long, I'll just get a 5770. The only item I'm unsure of is the PSU. The selected one is meant to be quiet but it's also relatively expensive, unsure if there is a cheaper alternative.

Fredescu

Does your retailer stock the 600w version of that PSU? You definitely don't need 700w to run that. You could probably get away with a 500w PSU (as long as its a reputable brand), but I'm not up on the silent parts so I don't know what options are out there for that. I usually buy Seasonic power supplies and I can barely hear them when they're on. Your 7200rpm HDDs are probably going to be the loudest part of that system.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
Does your retailer stock the 600w version of that PSU? You definitely don't need 700w to run that. You could probably get away with a 500w PSU (as long as its a reputable brand), but I'm not up on the silent parts so I don't know what options are out there for that. I usually buy Seasonic power supplies and I can barely hear them when they're on. Your 7200rpm HDDs are probably going to be the loudest part of that system.

Oh they do actually, I thought 700w was the lowest available but their list is jumbled up terribly. $132 for the 600w silent modular supply.

In terms of HDDs, what's the school of thought on the lower RPM drives for storage?

Mar

Did a shoot for Crackdown 2 during my lunch break here at work. So I guess that means I'm committed to a review for the site, which also means I'll be trying out my new video capture device.

If it's not up by Sunday afternoon someone come and punch me in the face. Ta.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
Oh they do actually, I thought 700w was the lowest available but their list is jumbled up terribly. $132 for the 600w silent modular supply.

In terms of HDDs, what's the school of thought on the lower RPM drives for storage?

They are fine. In all honesty i never really find that much difference between 5400 and 7200rpm drives. I'm sure there are tests out there that say you can load your photoshop file 4 seconds faster or something but apart from that, who cares.

Having said that i don't usually find much 5400rpm drives around these days. I figured they were long gone.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
They are fine. In all honesty i never really find that much difference between 5400 and 7200rpm drives. I'm sure there are tests out there that say you can load your photoshop file 4 seconds faster or something but apart from that, who cares.

Having said that i don't usually find much 5400rpm drives around these days. I figured they were long gone.

They're everywhere, all those "green" drives that WD etc. are producing are 5400rpm.

Fredescu said:
Rass built a nice machine from memory. I think it was an i7-920 and a GTX260, so you'd be getting a better CPU than you've budgeted for, and maybe 6GB triple channel RAM, but a lesser video card.

If you don't go for his box, I would definitely suggest adding a new case to your build. Putting nice new bits into an old ratty case can be a pain.

Is a better CPU better than a slightly lesser graphics card though? I've never been able to run anything on high/extra high unless it's a game that's at least 2-3 years old. Would the CPU power give me more grunt?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh yea the green drives, how the hell did i forget about them :lol

I think a lot of people recommend those for storage. Quiet and don't use too much power. But that depends on how picky you are when it comes to such things.

I've never had any issues with my samsung spinpoints, it's what i use almost exclusively these days. But a mate in sydney has a bad track record with them. Gotta love hard drives.

Fredescu

Megadrive said:
Is a better CPU better than a slightly lesser graphics card though? I've never been able to run anything on high/extra high unless it's a game that's at least 2-3 years old. Would the CPU power give me more grunt?
As far as a game system goes, no, generally your bottleneck is the GPU. In terms of a platform for future upgradability though, it's much easier to upgrade your GPU than your CPU. GPU is just swapping a card, but sometimes a CPU upgrade means you need to upgrade your mbd and ram too.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
Oh yea the green drives, how the hell did i forget about them :lol

I think a lot of people recommend those for storage. Quiet and don't use too much power. But that depends on how picky you are when it comes to such things.

I've never had any issues with my samsung spinpoints, it's what i use almost exclusively these days. But a mate in sydney has a bad track record with them. Gotta love hard drives.

That's always the way with HDDs. I have bought WDs almost exclusively for the last ten years but I have a friend who won't touch them.

Also, I am picky about these things. Considering grabbing one Spinpoint and one green drive (probably the 1.5TB WD). More storage for the money and the larger, green drive can be used exclusively for media storage.

rass

Megadrive said:
Specs, rass! Specs!
Fredescu nailed it - core i7 920, 6gb DDR3 ram and a gtx260. WD 500gb hdd I think, could be wrong though. Coolermaster 690 case I think. Only running vista home premium (x64) though

I actually quite like the machine but would very much like a new macbook pro and I'm gonna have to sell both my computers to fund it. I have no idea if PCs are even resaleable haha. I figure I can dual boot on the new machine and it should run the few pc games I play competently.

rass said:
Fredescu nailed it - core i7 920, 6gb DDR3 ram and a gtx260. WD 500gb hdd I think, could be wrong though. Coolermaster 690 case I think. Only running vista home premium (x64) though

I actually quite like the machine but would very much like a new macbook pro and I'm gonna have to sell both my computers to fund it. I have no idea if PCs are even resaleable haha. I figure I can dual boot on the new machine and it should run the few pc games I play competently.

That sounds like a pretty great system, actually. I can just reformat the computer with my copy of Win7 though, so OS isn't an issue. You're in/around Melbourne right? I'd prefer to do a pickup rather than pay insane postage fees if I end up going for yours. I'd love to help out an AusGAFfer and your extra RAM and CPU power is definitely very tempting. I could always save up and buy the GTX 460 later on down the track.

Apparently there is an official Gran Turismo 5 demo booth set up in Penrith Plaza shopping centre (western Sydney). Does anyone have any more information on these booths and where in Australia they might be found? Because I need more information. Immediately. :D

Ydahs

Ydahs said:
So far we have six people who have joined. A few more and it'll work out nicely.

Just click on the image above, read the rules and enter your tip.

It's an interesting system, where you only tip for one team a week and you can't tip them for the remainder of the competition. So you need to take into account the weeks ahead too.

Deadline is 7:30 PM tonight!

GO GO GO!
One hour to go!

BSS

Agyar said:
What case did you get BSS, for the mATX config?

I actually didn't get a new case for it, but plan to at some point. I haven't found one that I like yet. Inevitably all the nice looking ones use funny shaped power supplies, making it hard to put in one with enough balls to run your video card.

spanks

Anyone planning on getting Rockband 3 next month? Looks like EB have exclusive rights to the instruments, and they're selling 'em a week later and at just about double the price (Keyboard $140, Mid-tier guitar $290). I'd hate to see their price on the realtar, probably $500+. Yowza. Having trouble finding any sites that will import the instruments though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom