• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
Everyone I know who's been to HK always mentions:

a) How much fun they had
b) CRAZY BARGAINS!

I remember the heat, the incline up Victoria Peak, and a vast Toys R Us. I was at an age when a big Toys R Us was a source of excitement rather than scorn.

Gazunta

jambo said:
Started re-watching Penny Arcade Season 2
I LOVE watching these. I am just, in general, a genuine fan of anyone who creates their own job and turns what they love doing into a business for themselves and maybe also their friends. Dave Sim, Jeff Minter, even once upon a time Kevin Smith before he turned into a boring, BORING dope head were big inspirations for me growing up. It's what drew me to the Krome guys in the first place.

Or for more modern day equivalents
that I would also coincidentally do anything to be locked in a hotel room with
Felicia Day, Ricki Lee and Ella Morton. I'm as much a fan of their business sense and community management styles as anything else.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Salazar said:
I have those waiting for me. I have a stack of anime to finish, and season 5 of the Wire. The Louis, possibly to keep me going on some plane flights if there are no good films.

You sir are in for a treat.

legend166 said:
I lost risk.

I love risk. I have lord of the rings risk but my family never want to play it with me :( I take it too seriously apparently.

IE I FUCKING ROLL AND GET 6'S ALL THE TIME.

seriously. apparently it's unfair and they wont play with me. not my fault. jerks.

markot said:
Louis is brillllllllllllllllliant.

Everything he does is worth watching.

This is true!

Borrowed a DS off a friend at work tonight (ITS PINK!) so I can buy pokemon tomorrow, are there midnight launches happening? I finish work at 12am so it would be easier for me lol.

Kirby102

lvG86.jpg

Look who's jelly now. :p

(me. FFFFFU-)

Though, I'm gonna play a 3DS tomorrow... I guess (yay for DSE)

Omi said:
Firaxis are smart for packaging extra Civs as DLC... just sayin'

Bastardos.
Nickle and dime or fantastic post release support? They better not withhold created content ready at Day One though or I am pissed. As time goes by and the past becomes romanticised we shall all remember DLC as a brilliant way to extend our gaming experiences.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I tried the pilot of The Wire and was really underwhelmed. I guess I need to give it more of a try? I mean, it goes without saying that I should, but I was really bored with the pilot, is all.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rez said:
I tried the pilot of The Wire and was really underwhelmed. I guess I need to give it more of a try? I mean, it goes without saying that I should, but I was really bored with the pilot, is all.
I wasn't bored with the plot, but i know a number of people who were, but later gave the show a another chance, and came back with lots of enthusiasm for the show. I'd recommend watching up to episode 4. (because it has THAT scene).

Anyone else deliberately staying the fuck out of the DAII OT?

I had one look in there about a week ago and decided to GTFO. I want to go into the game tomorrow night without any prejudice.

(BTW I played the demo on PC and thought it was decent enough. Maybe I'm too easily pleased these days)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rez said:

It has a slow burning start, stick with it for ATLEAST 10 episodes (not saying it takes that long to spice up, but just give it a good go)

subtitles on btw.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I think I might actually need the subtitles. good suggestion. I'm going to give the first season a good run in the next week or two.

I still haven't had another look at The Wire after receiving the same recommendations a month or so ago. But I have watched the first four seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and am enjoying that. Wouldn't call it the "Citizen Kane" of sitcoms but it is enjoyable. Wife absolutely hates it though, mainly because of how the characters are massive jerks (which is precisely why I like it).

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Nickle and dime or fantastic post release support? They better not withhold created content ready at Day One though or I am pissed. As time goes by and the past becomes romanticised we shall all remember DLC as a brilliant way to extend our gaming experiences.

Who knows, but a few bucks to add an extra scenario + whole other Civ to play as seems like a fair trade to me.

The big patch they released recently has also tidied things up really well IMO and the game is fun again. Just need to play it some more.

Rez said:

I found the pilot hard to get into, too. But then I realized why: it treats it's audience as if they are intelligent, which I wasn't used to. The fact that all these characters had backstories, histories together and motivations that they did not spell out in the first 10minutes was jarring.

I'm used to shows holding the audiences hand and having clunky expositions to define character traits, motivations and history.

"Whoa, what's his problem?"

"Oh, him? Don't worry about him. He's never been the same since fighting in the 3465AD war, which he was on the losing side yet saw his family slaughtered by his own government. He'll never be happy until he hunts down Commander G'rlax and makes him pay!"

It took me a couple of episodes to be confident that it was treating me with respect, but after that...

Having said all this, I still haven't watched season 5. I want to, but then there would be none left :( I think this is my way of still having The Wire left for me to watch.

Never watch 5, never ends.

Shaneus

Megadrive said:
Gotten up to the gay bit yet?

"I love you."
Hah, yes... it was awesome. Love how defensive the guy was that he was only gay-for-pay.

I watched the brothel one, too. The dude is just amazing at asking exactly what the viewers are thinking, no matter how stupid or inappropriate it might seem.

Choc

Banned
Vook are you ever going to tell me how to get my friend code :p

also

NSW election coming up right.

Why do i have to have a valid excuse to register a postal vote? Here's a valid excuse. I don't want to line up in a queue, have shit shoved in my face by people i don't give a crap about to do a vote which means F all in my electorate because its blue ribbon liberal

surely that should be enough for the AEC.

As well as this my PS3 died last night. Launch AU model, BC :(. For those who were in steam listening to fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ;) the overnight cool down didnt help

Apparently sony charges $250 for repair and you don't get a BC back but then there is of course beetronix

how much have they charged you guys in the past? Apparently they can come to the office and do it here rather then having to ship it off which is kinda cool :)

Also can beetronix fix anything or just the specific YLOD (which is what i seem to have :( )

played through the first 2 hours of DA2 last night. Kinda like it now.

Omikron

[url=http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieu-to-renege-on-teacher-pay-20110308-1bmn8.html]The Age[/url] said:
THE Baillieu government is poised to break a key election promise to make Victoria's government school teachers the best paid in the nation.

Less than four months after going to the November state election with its unequivocal pledge on teachers' pay, the new government now says it will not grant any increase above 2.5 per cent unless it is offset by productivity gains.

<snip>

Ms Bluett said any productivity gains would have to be on top of $338 million in savings the Education Department had already been ordered to find over 4½ years. ''We are the lowest-funded education system in the nation. The government spends $1100 per student below the national average, and we have the leanest education bureaucracy in the nation,'' Ms Bluett said. ''There are no productivity gains to be had.''

The promise to make Victorian teachers the highest paid in the nation was first made in 2008, and was included in the Coalition's list of 2010 election policies on the former website tedbaillieu.com.au.

<snip>

What a god damn surprise! Expect similar lack of change voting in a new party NSW. :p

Choc said:
Apparently sony charges $250 for repair and you don't get a BC back

Say what? Sorry your machine broke, we'd like to give you back a machine you didn't pay for. Christ, that's like taking your car in for repair and they put a smaller engine in. Or something like that. I shouldn't have picked a car analogy because I suck at cars and car related stuff. Perhaps removed a gear from your gearbox? I don't know. Ugh.

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
Say what? Sorry your machine broke, we'd like to give you back a machine you didn't pay for. Christ, that's like taking your car in for repair and they put a smaller engine in. Or something like that. I shouldn't have picked a car analogy because I suck at cars and car related stuff. Perhaps removed a gear from your gearbox? I don't know. Ugh.
Replaced your CD player with something that only has USB ports?

MrSerrels

Planet_JASE said:
"Oh, him? Don't worry about him. He's never been the same since fighting in the 3465AD war, which he was on the losing side yet saw his family slaughtered by his own government. He'll never be happy until he hunts down Commander G'rlax and makes him pay!"

That was genius.

Stackboy

AusGaf, I started a new thread in the gaming section, but I need your advice.

Looking for games on the Wii that my 4 year old nephew can play. Need to be simple and colourful, not have much text to read or press through (he doesn't understand you need to press A to continue) and are fun for someone his age.

Any help is appreciated.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
But I can't use my old CDs after the upgrade!

And no, I don't want to rebuy everything in an alternate store, damnit. Maybe I'll just jailbreak my headunit so I can play .OGG files instead.

(taking the analogy too far?)

legend166

Can someone explain to me how Packed to the Rafters is the most watched scripted show on Australian TV by a long, long way?

It's terrible. I don't know anyone who watches it. Who is it? Old people?

Shaneus

I think I took the analogy too far if I'm getting these kind of responses :/

PS. AusGAF, I think I'm going on a self-imposed game-buying ban for a few months, not counting an import of MK. No cheap sale games, no de Blob 2, no MLB '11, nothing... my backlog is just bullshit. Can I do it?

markot

Banned
Well, 2.5 men and big bang theory are big here and in the US too........

People are stupid.

Until Seinfeld, ALF was the highest rating show in the US.

Deeku

Choc said:
As well as this my PS3 died last night. Launch AU model, BC :(. For those who were in steam listening to fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ;) the overnight cool down didnt help

Apparently sony charges $250 for repair and you don't get a BC back but then there is of course beetronix

how much have they charged you guys in the past? Apparently they can come to the office and do it here rather then having to ship it off which is kinda cool :)

Also can beetronix fix anything or just the specific YLOD (which is what i seem to have :( )

played through the first 2 hours of DA2 last night. Kinda like it now.
That sucks. Yeah it's 250 now from Sony. I think when mine broke 1 year after launch it was 150 but after that they must have raised it.

Beetronix fixes anything, but I'm certain that their fix is not permanent. I think it was 130? dont remember. Anyway, what I did was get them to fix it, sold it on ebay and bought a slim. Probably the best option if you're not too fussed about bc.

Deeku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wedding expenses are piling up. I'm actually contemplating selling off some of my other gaming treasures, including my copy of FFVI Advance and my AGS-101 GBA SP.

;_;
*gasp*

I've been eyeing bern's copy for a while. But yeah, if you need to sell both (at a decent price) I will buy them.

jambo

commanderdeek said:
That sucks. Yeah it's 250 now from Sony. I think when mine broke 1 year after launch it was 150 but after that they must have raised it.

Beetronix fixes anything, but I'm certain that their fix is not permanent. I think it was 130? dont remember. Anyway, what I did was get them to fix it, sold it on ebay and bought a slim. Probably the best option if you're not too fussed about bc.

Those launch models have so many other features that would make them worth keeping.

SACDs!

Gazunta

Rafters is HUGE with the Baby Boomer set. It's basically an idealised version of what they wish their family life was like - everyone getting along, and the kids not being too far away so they'll never be lonely.

And holy cow the redhead in it is smoking hot.

Deeku

jambo said:
Those launch models have so many other features that would make them worth keeping.

SACDs!
Yeah but I had 2 ylod on me and they were both just weeks after the warranty expired. Couldn't deal with the heartbreak a third time so went for the slim.

Nemesis_

BanShunsaku said:
Anyone else deliberately staying the fuck out of the DAII OT?

I had one look in there about a week ago and decided to GTFO. I want to go into the game tomorrow night without any prejudice.

(BTW I played the demo on PC and thought it was decent enough. Maybe I'm too easily pleased these days)

Me! I hate GAF and how they're so fucking critical of everything. I bet about 80% of people bitching haven't even played it.

r1chard

Omi said:
What a god damn surprise! Expect similar lack of change voting in a new party NSW. :p
Do we get to be all juvenile and call him Bail-liar now too? Or are only Liberal voters allowed to do that?

Choc

Banned
r1chard said:
Do we get to be all juvenile and call him Bail-liar now too? Or are only Liberal voters allowed to do that?

of course you do

politicians are all the same, arseholes

in other victorian news, judy moran was found guilty

r1chard

Choc said:
of course you do

politicians are all the same, arseholes
I think you missed my point. It's juvenile and pointless and avoids talking about actual issues (like the carbon tax, or teacher's pay) by instead focusing on "oh, liar, liar, you're so evil for lying" crap.

Omikron

r1chard said:

Heh.

I don't go much for the name calling, the position is still one of 'respect'. Unless of course you are say, Alan Jones and interviewing 'Julia'. :)

Anyway, as I said, good luck NSW peeps, enjoy your 'new' government when it is voted in. :p

As for the teacher pay thing... I think state governments have to be very careful about creating a position for the 'good' teachers, where the pay on offer from private/indep. institutions becomes too good to turn down. Further increasing certain divides.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I sat next to the cute girl on the train and i said nothing. Someone take my man card away from me, although i don't think i've ever had it.

She seems too peaceful with reading her book (the bone collector, i think i've seen that movie, it had angelina in it right? Kinda hot!) and having a nap against the window to annoy her with meaningless conversation.

Tomato soup for lunch, I'm excited about that, Which is rather sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom