• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Ahoy AusGAF,

So today I started learning AJAX and relearning javascript... and I created NeoGAF Instant! Well, that's a kind of misleading name and I don't really know how to explain it so just check it out.

InstaGAF!

Took me a couple of hours to get it working and another couple to refine it and polish it a bit. Pretty happy with the end result. It's nothing that's meant to be serious or really usable, but it's nice I guess. Works well on the iPhone too, nothing like the secondapps NeoGAF website, but it works.

Why did I create it? Well, whenever I start learning something new, I like to create something that's challenging and would be of interest to people. That mentality led to my Dream Team website project with Python and now it's led me to InstaGAF. The interface is Ajax and javascript, but the backend stuff is still Python which retrieves and extract the information for the topic pages.

It's kind of impractical to use with NeoGAF, since many threads are thousands of posts long, but the good thing is that with a few tweaks, it'll be able to function with any vBulletin board as long as it has a 'print friendly' option.

Why did I post it here? Well, I was thinking of creating a new topic in the OT , but didn't think it was really thread worthy... and after seeing some of the reactions to Youtube Instant, I thought I'd post it here instead...

So... whaddya think?

Ydahs

Bernbaum said:
Needs more dinosaurs.
Hmm... I'll add that to the 'to do' list.

Anyway guys, if I can get the greenlight from an admin (after I'm certain I can make it work), I'm going to try and create a database that contains posts of everyone, so in a way you can view recent posts you've made. I won't actually be storing anything other than three very very short things, so it'll be very efficient. That'll the true NeoGAF Instant.

I'm still slightly irritated that the feature was removed, so creating a pseudo version of it will be sweet.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself now... oh will you look at the time, 1:38am. Time to sleep.

going to stay up, skip uni and work on this project all day tomorrow

legend166

hamchan said:
Really? Holy crap!

I think this year's TGS > this year's E3. Way more exciting news coming out of this compared to E3.

Oh man SSF4 on PC :O

EDIT: mistake? MISTAKE!? jkdjsabdjaw

E3 had the 3DS. It wins automatically.

giri

trinest said:
I see nothing wrong with that add- that technique is commonly used when someone or something is "live in your home" with TV- and a few times out of none they get action with the women as well.

Isn't loggins comments racist,

"Why would you show a black American jumping into bed with a man's wife to promote basketball? I don't even know how someone could think up a commercial like that. You would never see any other sport in the world, that takes themselves seriously, portraying a black athlete that way."

If he's offended by it, he should be offended for all athletes.

The only really relevant part is that a former kings player did get done for rape, for something similar in 06. THATS the part they should focus on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
edit: actually, no. I can't think of a topic I could be any less apathetic and disengaged from.

Choc

Banned
trinest said:
I see nothing wrong with that add- that technique is commonly used when someone or something is "live in your home" with TV- and a few times out of none they get action with the women as well.

This might be why its a tad inappropriate

evoked memories of former Sydney Kings player Bryant Matthews, who was jailed for rape when he was found in similar circumstances as an unwanted third person in bed with a couple in Sydney in 2006.

Choc

Banned
It's about time FAA and CASA etc start to mandate the pitch between seats on planes as a minimum. It's a health issue and it should be looked at. The ridiculous amount of pitch i have seen on planes recently is unbeliveable. Jetstar is a disgrace in this area.

its getting ridiculous, airlines can go f themselves if they think people should put up with this

Skyrider-Airline-seat--4--600x400.jpg

Skyrider-Airline-Seat-2--1--600x400.jpg

imagine that sydney to london, get farked

Clipper

Choc said:
This might be why its a tad inappropriate

evoked memories of former Sydney Kings player Bryant Matthews, who was jailed for rape when he was found in similar circumstances as an unwanted third person in bed with a couple in Sydney in 2006.

I actually looked up the old story because of that. From what I found in news reports, it turns out that a couple that he knew were having consensual sex in a room with a door ajar and a bunch of people watching from outside, and he allegedly entered and joined in, performing a sexual act on the girl without her consent. That's pretty clear pure rape and nothing like the actions in the ad.

I find it very hypocritical for people to really try to connect those two events together as racist. Are they saying that it would be OK for there to be a Caucasian that jumps on the bed? The whole thing is silly really. Just because a black basketball player committed a sexual crime doesn't mean you should outlaw the idea of black basketball players flirting in a bedroom.

Mar

Choc said:
It's about time FAA and CASA etc start to mandate the pitch between seats on planes as a minimum. It's a health issue and it should be looked at. The ridiculous amount of pitch i have seen on planes recently is unbeliveable. Jetstar is a disgrace in this area.

its getting ridiculous, airlines can go f themselves if they think people should put up with this

I've long had an issue with this in regards to Sydney public transport. The distance between seats is getting shorter and shorter, to the point where it's painful for me to sit on most of the buses now as my knees are squashed into the seat in front. Each new bus version introduced has less area for my legs. Every bump is utter agony. My knees are pretty much fucked now, but I'm not sure that's anything to do with the buses as I used to run and I used to be a really fat dude. But regardless, that just makes it more painful for me catching the buses around here.

I'm 6 foot 1 inch, which I don't think is super tall. I realise most of Sydney's population are small now, but I don't think that's any reason to cause pain for the 'taller' people. I've often wondered if I could ever make a case of discrimination or something.. But that's probably more hassle than it's worth. Instead, I delay most of my travel to ensure I'm either catching buses when there's not many people, or I wait for the next bus and ensure I'm the first or second on, so I can get a seat right at the back. There's more room on the very back seat.

commissar

wow that NBL thing is the stupidest thing I've read this week.

edit: know what you mean Mar. I don't have pain in my knees (yet :| ) but every time I'm on public transport the person in front is shifting a bit because of my knees in their back.

Mar said:
I've long had an issue with this in regards to Sydney public transport. The distance between seats is getting shorter and shorter, to the point where it's painful for me to sit on most of the buses now as my knees are squashed into the seat in front. Each new bus version introduced has less area for my legs. Every bump is utter agony. My knees are pretty much fucked now, but I'm not sure that's anything to do with the buses as I used to run and I used to be a really fat dude. But regardless, that just makes it more painful for me catching the buses around here.

I'm 6 foot 1 inch, which I don't think is super tall. I realise most of Sydney's population are small now, but I don't think that's any reason to cause pain for the 'taller' people. I've often wondered if I could ever make a case of discrimination or something.. But that's probably more hassle than it's worth. Instead, I delay most of my travel to ensure I'm either catching buses when there's not many people, or I wait for the next bus and ensure I'm the first or second on, so I can get a seat right at the back. There's more room on the very back seat.

This.

I get dirty looks from the person sitting in front of me whenever on a bus, as they think I am kicking the back of the seat. No, that's just my knees being crushed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really had any issues with public transport space in Melbourne. Granted, I don't take buses.

Rez said:
I haven't really had any issues with public transport space in Melbourne. Granted, I don't take buses.

Buses in Melbourne are alright. There's a couple seats (like the ones directly after the middle door) which can be really tight but aside from that it's great.

Deeku

Aren't those plane seats pitched as below economy class?

To be totally honest, you get what you pay for so deal with it.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Aren't those plane seats pitched as below economy class?

To be totally honest, you get what you pay for so deal with it.

Until such time that the airlines realise that well guess what we can put these in economy which you know they will and if teh ywant it, airbus/boeing will build it

airlines are seriously out to screw people these days, its ridiculous. The quality of service generally is appalling.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Oh yeah Choc, got something in the mail the other day.

You gotta put it in the Yellow box though :p

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
Oh yeah Choc, got something in the mail the other day.

You gotta put it in the Yellow box though :p

Usually in CBD for Sydney it doesnt matter

i guess if its going all the way to Perth, it might

Ydahs

Over 600,000 posts on the first 5 pages of the OT and Gaming boards. That means I'll have to do 6,000 page requests if I want to get all the post IDs in which my IP will probably be banned... goodbye idea of creating massive database.

Now begins the fun part.

EDIT: wait, that's not even 200mb of bandwidth.

Deeku

Choc said:
Until such time that the airlines realise that well guess what we can put these in economy which you know they will and if teh ywant it, airbus/boeing will build it

airlines are seriously out to screw people these days, its ridiculous. The quality of service generally is appalling.
By that logic, business should have economy size seats by now.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone have the ability to make it so that when you click on a link on gaf it goes to one of say 50 predefined choices? albeit randomly or in order it doesn't really matter.

If you know how to do this PM me please :)

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:

Business will remain business and you pay for that in a premium. Some business class is actually worse then it was 10 years ago in space depending on Airline.

the pitch on Economy seats is getting lower and lower. Pitch is the distance between the front of a seat and the back of he next seat

the average on international flights in 1999 was 34" it is now 31"

Singapore Airlines is 33 from memory whilst, something like the lower tier airlines is 31"

they are trying to fit more economy into each cabin. Premium economy is a bloody good example of this. The pitch in premium was standard 15 years ago.....

I fly a lot, i am not sure if you do? but i have noticed it getting worse and worse, each new plane delivered to Jetstar/Qantas has lower pitch it appears.

Ydahs

Syth_Blade22 said:
Anyone have the ability to make it so that when you click on a link on gaf it goes to one of say 50 predefined choices? albeit randomly or in order it doesn't really matter.

If you know how to do this PM me please :)
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? What do you mean by '50 predefined choices'?

If it's something simple I might only be able to create a script where you enter the link instead of clicking it.

Choc

Banned
i am thinking mar wants a hyper link which when clicked takes you to one of 50 random pages on Gamecrux :)

edit: maybe mar thinks that would be cool but uh it was syth

so i'll just go back in my box now

HolyCheck

Ydahs said:
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? What do you mean by '50 predefined choices'?

If it's something simple I might only be able to create a script where you enter the link instead of clicking it.

yeah it's simple

basically im going to have an image

and when you click on the image it takes you to either link A, link B, link C (these links will be full sized images)

it's for the Blade Kitten |OT| :)

Agyar

commanderdeek said:

That's not true. The value proposition for business class is paying a premium to enjoy perks and space. For economy, people want to get from A to B as cheaply as possible and they're willing to lower their service expectations so long as the bottom line is acceptable. That's where "innovations" like those described above can meet both parties objectives; for the airline, more seats to sell and for the consumers, cheaper transportation. The question is, on this race to the bottom, when will the reductions in service quality no longer be worth the associated reduction in cost? And more troublingly, will the airlines the current economy standard of travel attract a business-class-like premium when we're all standing?

giri

Choc said:
Business will remain business and you pay for that in a premium. Some business class is actually worse then it was 10 years ago in space depending on Airline.

the pitch on Economy seats is getting lower and lower. Pitch is the distance between the front of a seat and the back of he next seat

the average on international flights in 1999 was 34" it is now 31"

Singapore Airlines is 33 from memory whilst, something like the lower tier airlines is 31"

they are trying to fit more economy into each cabin. Premium economy is a bloody good example of this. The pitch in premium was standard 15 years ago.....

I fly a lot, i am not sure if you do? but i have noticed it getting worse and worse, each new plane delivered to Jetstar/Qantas has lower pitch it appears.

I've noticed it on planes. I fly some, about 4 or 5 times a year. But not so much on virgin? I do agree, it should be regulated somewhere. Its becoming stupid.

Anyway, the legroom on busses in brisbane is appalling, i've had to do the whole, knees into the back of the chair in front thing. And it was bloody painful.

Ydahs

Syth_Blade22 said:
yeah it's simple

basically im going to have an image

and when you click on the image it takes you to either link A, link B, link C (these links will be full sized images)

it's for the Blade Kitten |OT| :)
Hmm... I'll whip something up quickly to see if I get you. I'll be back in 30.

HolyCheck

Ydahs said:
Clicky.

Is this you meant? Replace numbers with images and with every refresh it's a different image?

Or do you want it to redirect to another link?
yeah to another link

I can PM you all the links if it helps now?

Ydahs

Syth_Blade22 said:
yeah to another link

I can PM you all the links if it helps now?
Sure, but to make it easier for me, can you put it in a specific format? A link per line would make the job so much easier.

Choc

Banned
Virgin has excellent legroom both Domestic (Virgin Blue) and international (Pacific Blue and Virgin Atlantic)

i have flown all 3.

Virgin Atlantic aside from the 5 star Emirates and Singapore has the best economy

and their business is very very good as well. Shame from here you can only fly to London with them.

CryptiK

evlcookie said:
Thought you were broke with no job?

Why are you blowing all your $5 on KH stuff?
Where do you think I am 260 in dept from xD. My GF lent me money I have already paid back half sold some PS3 and GC games that I'll never play.(Warhawk, Heavenly Sword Mario Tennis and Pokemon)

Everything(cept the DS Game) in that picture is rare :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom