• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Bernbaum said:
It must be said that as a loyal customer of Umart for many years, it's in poor taste to be making fun of their situation and it must be really hard for the business to keep their head above water.
Hahaha, you totally had me going for a minute there.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I'm off to NSW.

Flight out at 8:15am on monday and fly back at 2:45pm friday. Guess i'm there for pretty much a week.

What the hell should i do and eat around crows nest? I guess there's subway for lunch and dinner, thanks legend!

ClivePwned said:
3ds sold out after 5 minutes

I say god damn. I had one in my cart and by the time I got through to process they were sold out. God damn it! I can't really complain though... I don't really care for the 3DS much (a bit weak and over priced imo) and I already nabbed a nice cheap PS3 through Catch back in 2009.

Jintor

Clipper said:
And in the vein of this, what sort of place are we thinking, SydGAF? The Lowenbrau seems to be a generally acceptable choice, but The Australian Hotel works well too for their crocodile, kangaroo and emu pizzas and tons of beers on tap. There's also the Belgian Beer Cafe if we want to have a bit more classifier food with our drinks, and BrisGAF met in the one of those they have up there once, I believe.

I like the Belgian and the Australian... I think I've been the Lowenbrau before, but it's been a while, so I don't remember it too well.

I think the Belgian is kinda expensive though and I always get intimidated by the selection on offer. > >

OMG, I actually got one of the 3DS's from Catch of the Day... So unexpected. Anyone else from AusGAF manage to snag one? How long does it usually take for CotD to ship items?

Bernbaum

The first BrisGAF meet was at a Belgian Beer cafe in the city which is usually a go-to spot for 9 to 5 office folk but it suited us just fine - even though the food was dissapointingly simple for what it cost.

All the best to SydGAF!

Awaiting more suggestions from the Brisbanites for potential dates. At present nothing earlier than the 16th of April. How did others feel about a lazy Sunday afternoon session?

Fredescu

Sutton Dagger said:
OMG, I actually got one of the 3DS's from Catch of the Day... So unexpected. Anyone else from AusGAF manage to snag one? How long does it usually take for CotD to ship items?
Wow, congrats. Once you get the shipped notification it's usually pretty quick. The biggest delay seems to be between ordering and shipping, which can be up to a week in my experience.

Bernbaum said:
The first BrisGAF meet was at a Belgian Beer cafe in the city which is usually a go-to spot for 9 to 5 office folk but it suited us just fine - even though the food was dissapointingly simple for what it cost.

All the best to SydGAF!

Awaiting more suggestions from the Brisbanites for potential dates. At present nothing earlier than the 16th of April. How did others feel about a lazy Sunday afternoon session?

So this is the 1st time ive actually bothered to read/post in the AusGAF thread....
Didn't realize th Brisbane guys met up! I would be very keen to come along and meet you guys, how do you usually organize it Bernbaum? (can you maybe send me a PM with some info)

The other thing i was interested posting for is for anyone playing Crysis 2 on steam or BC2 other stuff in general. Feel free to add Darkares01 // Sentinel_42@hotmail.com
Im just after more people that i can join to play whenever i game etc. (figured i would post this rather than troll the spreadsheet and add everyone randomly.

jambo

Sutton Dagger said:

Holy shit nice work, those sales are like 30 seconds tops!

Fredescu said:
Wow, congrats. Once you get the shipped notification it's usually pretty quick. The biggest delay seems to be between ordering and shipping, which can be up to a week in my experience.

Cheers mate, doesn't sound so bad in regards to shipping. The facebook page for CotD is an uproar, some guy is trolling them hard. The troll is claiming that he got 10 and he is updating his comments saying that he is selling them for $250 a pop and has now made $500 profit :)

Bernbaum said:

All the best to SydGAF!

I get married on the weekend of the 9th of July, so nothing then.

A lazy Saturday afternoon would do me just fine because Sunday's usually out for me.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:

All the best to SydGAF!

I'm out of the country from mid-April 'til May but any other time is fine. I expect to be included otherwise you will all just bang on about how great Nintendo is and how many gigaboobs your PCs scored in 3DMark.

Sutton Dagger said:
Cheers mate, doesn't sound so bad in regards to shipping. The facebook page for CotD is an uproar, some guy is trolling them hard. The troll is claiming that he got 10 and he is updating his comments saying that he is selling them for $250 a pop and has now made $500 profit :)

Yeah, those comments for high profile items are always a laugh. All "the site crashed RAGE" and "I swear they only had like half a 3DS and made us all waste our time here".

Rahk said:
Subway bread is crap.

That shit aint real bread man. It comes frozen, then gets proofed up for a couple of hours and smells utterly rank while doing so. Also, the industrial strenght chemicals used to (poorly) clean the ovens is nasty stuff.

That said, I had Subway for lunch.

Bernbaum

Okay BrisGAF, so the options we're looking at are Sunday the 10th or Sunday the 17th of April.

Agyar said:
I'm out of the country from mid-April 'til May but any other time is fine. I expect to be included otherwise you will all just bang on about how great Nintendo is and how many gigaboobs your PCs scored in 3DMark.

'sif. We'll all just be showing off our iPads to pull chicks.

Marshmallow - in terms of organisation, it's just been deciding on a time/date. The venue of choice is of course the small but serviceable Mana Bar in the valley - the first meet got switched out courtesy of Medal of Dudebro so we had it in the city; and the second one was a shotgun affair pre-christmas 2010 before everyone disappeared. Ideally it'd be great if we could crack the dozen mark for BrisGAF 3.0 this time around.

We also need to decide what we're calling this one:

- BrisGAF 3.0
- BrisGAF with a vengeance
- BrisGAF Episode Three Revenge of the Wii Party
- BrisGAF for the love of fuck can it please stop raining
- 'this shows just how not much of cocks BrisGAF are'

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
3DS and games are now in Hong Kong, probably get split onto two different planes now, unless DHL is assholes and sends mine to Sydney, then to Perth.

Clipper

VOOK said:
3DS and games are now in Hong Kong, probably get split onto two different planes now, unless DHL is assholes and sends mine to Sydney, then to Perth.
That would be really crazy given mine are still on a direct flight to Sydney. Also, Sydney curfew means there's no way it's coming here, unless it's going to be in Honk Kong for another 8 hours or something.

Also, how much of assholes will they be?

Cheers for the info, look forward to it. Haven't made the effort to don my presence at the Mana Bar yet so i look forward to it even more.

My personal vote would have to go to "BrisGAF for the love of fuck can it please stop raining"
But im sure it will get cancelled due to a natural disaster anyway.

Rahk

So who's organising the SydGAF meet up? Somebody should take the role otherwise nothing will get done like every other time it has been mentioned.

Since cookie will arrive on Monday (next week?) maybe make it between Tuesday to Thursday to give him time to settle (if he's even willing to join us)?

I'm free all week from about 4.

Clipper

Rahk said:
So who's organising the SydGAF meet up? Somebody should take the role otherwise nothing will get done like every other time it has been mentioned.

Since cookie will arrive on Monday (next week?) maybe make it between Tuesday to Thursday to give him time to settle (if he's even willing to join us)?

I'm free all week from about 4.
I'm OK with organising if anyone actually can be bothered to answer questions this time, which is why the others generally failed. I was going to wait until we got cookie's schedule to choose a date.

jambo

I'm flying in to Sydney late on the 15th of April, staying in Cremorne Point.

Might have some time during the day of the 16th (Saturday) for some SydGAF shenanigans.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Clipper said:
That would be really crazy given mine are still on a direct flight to Sydney. Also, Sydney curfew means there's no way it's coming here, unless it's going to be in Honk Kong for another 8 hours or something.

Also, how much of assholes will they be?

Oh FEDEX and UPS deliver straight from Hong Kong to Perth, DHL have on occasion not.

But yeah mines in Hong Kong now, probably then if yours are straight to Sydney on two different planes already.

Rahk

Clipper said:
I'm OK with organising if anyone actually can be bothered to answer questions this time, which is why the others generally failed. I was going to wait until we got cookie's schedule to choose a date.
Perhaps create an online spreadsheet or something so everyone can put in availability and preferences. That way it's all in one place instead of having to search through every post although likely no one will bother updating it.

Cookie said in a post above he will be here Monday to Friday, just need to confirm if it's next week.

I don't really care about the venue. Whatever everyone is happy with. I'm sure if they have booze and food it will be fine.

Jintor said:
I went to go grab a copy of Halo: Reach because we needed another copy for a games night, and it was, what, $110? I felt incredibly ripped off, especially when I've been getting quality (PC) games for $50, $40, $10 recently. Steam's spoiled me.
Not just Steam, I grabbed it at launch for $50 from OzGameShop. PlayAsia currently has the Limited Edition for $35.

BanShunsaku said:
Gamer me: I want it I want it I want it
Rational me: But you said?
Gamer me: Shut the fuck up, I'm buying it.
This used to be me all the time. Sooo many barely played games bought at launch. Then I bought Alan Wake. That voice has never reared it's head again.

remz said:
upgraditis is striking...,. time to scrap my dualcore / gtx260 for an i7 / gtx 570 ? I just don't know.
Go with i5 2500K and a 460GTX. Google how to overclock both to a mild amount and look forward to not upgrading again for 5 years (or throw in a second 460 in 2 years when they get really cheap). I'm using PCCaseGear for my new build and getting local places to price match.

Rez said:
I think my GTX9800 may have overheated. Good excuse as any to upgrade, but you know, money.
Are you MelbGAF by chance? I replaced my trusty 9800GTX+ with a 460 if you want it for shipping cost. Also the CM 690 II Advanced is a sexy case.

Cookie said:
The double original gets my seal of approval. Although the sauce didn't seem to blend very well with it. It also isn't large at all, It's like half he size of the package they give you, Maybe the size of your palm? It's chicken, cheese, a piece of bacon and some sauce. Would eat again but i doubt any time soon, Gotta get sexy and all that.
Yup, the gf and I thought it was great but felt disgusting afterwards. Might grab another one just before they go back to the land of dangerous goods. Surprised at how easy and clean it was to eat without a bun.

Shaneus said:
I hope we still get the Tower back someday. My favourite burger ever.
I always get a tower burger when I occasionally grab KFC? I wish they still had the Super Charged sauce available to put on burgers though. So awesome. I would eat more vegetables if they were slathered in it.

Kritz said:
/has two DVD drives in Pc to circumvent securerom's naggings
If I couldn't find a cd crack online I would make an .iso and run it off VirtualCloneDrive. Love having a nice big hard drive. Also it makes double dipping during Steam sales a lot more enjoyable. Crysis + Warhead for $7.50 made for a happy day.

mandiller

Bernbaum said:
Okay BrisGAF, so the options we're looking at are Sunday the 10th or Sunday the 17th of April.

'sif. We'll all just be showing off our iPads to pull chicks.

Marshmallow - in terms of organisation, it's just been deciding on a time/date. The venue of choice is of course the small but serviceable Mana Bar in the valley - the first meet got switched out courtesy of Medal of Dudebro so we had it in the city; and the second one was a shotgun affair pre-christmas 2010 before everyone disappeared. Ideally it'd be great if we could crack the dozen mark for BrisGAF 3.0 this time around.

We also need to decide what we're calling this one:

- BrisGAF 3.0
- BrisGAF with a vengeance
- BrisGAF Episode Three Revenge of the Wii Party
- BrisGAF for the love of fuck can it please stop raining
- 'this shows just how not much of cocks BrisGAF are'

I'm in for BrisGAF 3DS. Either date suits me fine :) It'll be nice to catch up again.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
If I couldn't find a cd crack online I would make an .iso and run it off VirtualCloneDrive.
There's a hardware device you can buy for about $30 that circumvents having to download untrusted executables off the internet. It's pretty nice.

markot

Banned
Anyone know a free alternative to anydvd >_<?

Im trying to rip all mah simpsons and seinfeld to my HDDs before they scratch themselves to oblivion... also for convenience!

Clipper said:
The thing is, I actually want to play the launch games I am buying. I actually want to take 3D photos. I actually want to show this to my friends that I haven't even discussed this with and see their reactions to the magical device which looks apparently bigger on the inside without glasses ;).

I can perfectly understand your points, though. The launch lineup is definitely not for everyone.

Even though the end result is totally my fault, looking back, I think buying consoles Day 1 has what got me out of gaming for a bit. Back in the PS1/N64 days I was quite young(ish), didn't really have a job and had to sacrifice quite a bit to buy consoles. Such was my lack of cashflow and desire to get them, I would purchase the machines on Myer's 6 month interest free and then devote a fair chunk of my money into paying that off. That always resulted in my not being able to afford games for quite a while meaning that I was stuck with the launch games for the better part of a year. Games that, in all honesty, I wouldn't have bought normally.

By the time I had enough money for another game (and back then games were hellass expensive, even more so on my budget back then) I had lost interest in the machine. Or I'd only end up getting a game for my birthday, or Christmas or if something was incredibly cheep (which, back then, was never a good sign for the quality). By that time the machine had lost "all momentum" with me.

Then they'd be a bit of a resurgence towards the end of it's lifetime but it was always a case of too little, too late, usually. All I had at that point were memories of lackluster games that cost me a lot of money and a tarnished opinion of a console.

Like I said, completely my fault but a lesson I don't think I can allow myself to make. I've thought about buying a DS for ages, so jumping early on the 3DS was tempting. My thoughts were that I would also have a backlog of DS games that I could also play therefore mitigating the chance of becoming disillusioned with the console itself.

Then I realised that I don't often find myself in positions where I would play with a handheld device, except when I'm at home. If I'm at home, well... Consoles. Backlog.

Oh...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea will be there next week. Arrive at around 10 monday morning and piss off at 2:15 friday arvo.

So i guess a meetup can happen, I will make sure to wear my cookie monster shirt so everyone knows who i am in the crowd of people D:

legend166

cookie, when are you coming to Sydney? We need to organise lunch!

Edit: Oh, you already said.

I can't do Wednesday nights, but don't change any plans on account of me.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I always get a tower burger when I occasionally grab KFC? I wish they still had the Super Charged sauce available to put on burgers though. So awesome. I would eat more vegetables if they were slathered in it.
They still have them? On the rare occasion I wander into a KFC I always look for them on the menu and never see them. Are they something you have to nudge nudge wink wink for, slide the money under the counter and see them in 5 mins kinda thing?

Oh, on a completely different note, I've started listening to Idle Thumbs. Holy fuck I'm loving it (tm)

markot said:

Im trying to rip all mah simpsons and seinfeld to my HDDs before they scratch themselves to oblivion... also for convenience!
DVD Decrypter to rip to VOBs and Handbrake to encode. Handbrake can take a little mastering (just do a couple of test encodes on a single episode to see the different settings) but the results are very good. Use H264 for video and AAC if you just want the audio in stereo.

Shaneus said:
Danoss: Do you have Just Cause 2 installed by any chance? It's a great game to play for the sake of playing, rather than playing just to finish something. Pretty much the only game that comes to mind that I still have real fun with without feeling obligated to clock it.

Ah, Just Cause 2. My game of the year for last year. Having said that, I judged it slightly different. Last year I played quite a lot of games and Just Cause 2 was just fun. And I sunk an incredible number of hours into it. And I could pick it up and play for 15minutes. Or 6 hours. It allowed me to dictate the effort, time and investment that I placed into it.

Plus, things went BOOMSPLODE! lots.

legend166 said:
I'm buying way more games now than I used to. But I'm spending much, much less.

This is mainly why I'm not overly overly upset about my backlog. When I think about the complete 180 that games have done in the last 2 years from being the most expensive form of entertainment that I indulged in to the absolute cheapest.

I'm getting games for $30 or under and am sometimes putting 15, 20, 40, or, in the case the the previously mentioned JC2, 100 hours into it. The fact that games are becoming an even cheaper 'bang for your buck' than books is astounding.

Bernbaum said:
Serrels tweeted a link to one of the Gawker/Allure sites that compard the burger to other staples of the Aussie junkfood landscape which showed it's really not much worse than the garbage we've already been eating. Interestingly the Zinger burger has like a billion times more fat.

the worst comparison that I saw was that it contains less calories and fat than an Muffin Break Apple something or other muffin. That muthafuckin muffin stuffs in over 30grams of fat into itself. Jeebus.

Bernbaum said:

I will try my best to make it out. I could be at work as I do weekends but will try nonetheless.

markot said:

I still swear by a combination of RipIt4Me and DVDDecrypter.

Fredescu said:
There's a hardware device you can buy for about $30 that circumvents having to download untrusted executables off the internet. It's pretty nice.
Lost/scratched most of my PC games over the years so the .iso collection was great until Steam came along and became best friends with my wallet. Still got Max Payne 2 though. Best packaging ever!

Also I used to roll with DVD Decrypter and AutoGK. I remember finding a blogpost on how aXXo supposedly rips his movies using them and have been using them ever since. Ripped 12 season of The Simpsons in one weekend. Totally worth it.

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
Ah, Just Cause 2. My game of the year for last year. Having said that, I judged it slightly different. Last year I played quite a lot of games and Just Cause 2 was just fun. And I sunk an incredible number of hours into it. And I could pick it up and play for 15minutes. Or 6 hours. It allowed me to dictate the effort, time and investment that I placed into it.

Plus, things went BOOMSPLODE! lots.
That's what I love about it. I can play it for 15 mins and just blow shit up or I can play it for hours with fuck-all ammo, until I find a chain-gun that I can dismount and blow bullshit amounts of stuff up with. Then I find a car, tether it to a statue of whoever and tear it down. It's hands down my favourite game of 2010... and it runs on any PC you throw at it (bar my Eee 900, I'm guessing).

Shaneus said:
That's what I love about it. I can play it for 15 mins and just blow shit up or I can play it for hours with fuck-all ammo, until I find a chain-gun that I can dismount and blow bullshit amounts of stuff up with. Then I find a car, tether it to a statue of whoever and tear it down. It's hands down my favourite game of 2010... and it runs on any PC you throw at it (bar my Eee 900, I'm guessing).

Enemy.

Gas Canister.

Tether.

Smugly wave bye-bye.

And so much, much more. If they make another game, I would perhaps like to see a slightly smaller but much more focused game. See what they could do with a smaller, more enclosed environment but with even greater interactivity.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Lost/scratched most of my PC games over the years so the .iso collection was great until Steam came along and became best friends with my wallet.
Yeah, DD as disk insurance is pretty cool. Double dipped on a lot of stuff for that reason.

I have plenty of minor issues with Just Cause 2 (the combat is unwieldy, vehicles control like crap, the story and accent are totally redundant), but the real issues as far as I'm concerned are the size of the game world and how long it takes to get around, and that the over-the-top stunts you perform become pedestrian after a few hours.

The third needs to have a few story-based set pieces that are so crazy everyone will talk about them for years. Riding a tank out of a plane sounds like a good start.

Ydahs

Hmm, the Double Down burger is actually okay. Of course, I ate it without bacon so I don't really know its authentic taste.

Prefer it over actual KFC chicken pieces which are horrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom