• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

:lol You guys know a lot about planes.

I definitely don't fly as much a you choc but I'd probably average 4 flights to HK and 2 to tokyo every year. I honestly have't seen the decline in service or room when I fly in economy. The only thing I hate is the increasing limits on the weight of your luggage and what you can and cannot bring in economy, so I usually use my parents points to upgrade to business.

But I honestly don't think airlines would make economy like the seats above, at least not for international flights. Economy may be the cheapest option, but it in reality the amount you pay for a ticket is still quite substantial. Sure they could justify it by drastically lowering prices, but no-one in their right mind want to stand or be crammed on a saddle for more than 2 hours. I mean, people don't even like standing on buses, at least I don't.

And yes, I agree that virgin atlantic is great. They fly to hk as well.

Deeku

CryptiK said:
My KH collection is growing still more coming this month :D
Question, have you always been a kh super fan? Or have you just realised how awesome it was and splurged big time on everything?:lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So no go at that comp place for a job cryp? That sucks.

Side note. When the hell did dodo get a 3TB internet plan? DODO, I figured they were pure shit and maybe they are. They also do electricity for victoria? wtf :lol

CryptiK

commanderdeek said:
Question, have you always been a kh super fan? Or have you just realised how awesome it was and splurged big time on everything?:lol
Always man I got KH1 on release then my brother lent it away and was never seen again >.>(thats why KH1 isnt in the pic) KH2 was stolen with the rest of my smaller luggage at the Airport a while back(The one in the pic is new) So I am just rebuying whats I once had.

evlcookie said:

Side note. When the hell did dodo get a 3TB internet plan? DODO, I figured they were pure shit and maybe they are. They also do electricity for victoria? wtf :lol

Nah I did like 4 days of paid work there cause they needed a hand. Cool thing is I got paid more than anyone else there xD cause I am technically more qualified than most of them.

Aon

CryptiK said:
Nah I did like 4 days of paid work there cause they needed a hand. Cool thing is I got paid more than anyone else there xD cause I am technically more qualified than most of them.

Or because they have to pay you benefits because you don't get long term employee benefits? :p

Rahk

evlcookie said:

3TB while you download at 56k speed. What's the point?

Quasar

Rahk said:
3TB while you download at 56k speed. What's the point?

Of course thats pretty true of almost any consumer plan. Well a 3TB plan if I was a lucky Tasmanian guy on the NBN, then it might be worth it. Then at least I could use the 3TB.

So i'm at pccg right now and my fucking motherboard just didn't get delivered. Fucking hell. They reckon I can get a different one. I'd ask for ideas but they're only open another 10 or so minutes. I'll just get suggestions on a different one and get next day shipping I guess.

Ydahs

jambo said:
I just use the subscription system.
I'm talking about the...

Find all posts by [user]
Find all threads started by [user]

...options located in the user's profile which were disabled due to server issues. I've been using subscriptions more often myself, but tracking all the posts I've made in many threads is hell.

markot

Banned
jambo said:
How much is the actual download though?

Gonna preload tonight =D
It says under downloading '5ish gb out of 7.9gb' not sure though, im guessing its just download size, under the store page it says it needs 12.5gb free for installation.

Mar said:
I'm probably being overly critical but I don't rate the voice acting in that trailer (at least as its been cut there) all that highly. As I hear Stewart's narration I see him reading from a script wearing his glasses, not speaking to a crowd or real person. Part of that is the writing I suppose; it's hard to make those sorts of speeches sound real especially in a fantasy setting, but it can be done. Carlyle and McElhone sound a bit flat to me as well.

With big name voiceovers I worry that you end up with people reading in a booth on their own, when the best voiceover performances in games seem to come from having the people reading together, playing off each other, and actually being invested in what they're doing.

Maybe those lines (and their delivery) will sound much better in context though. I hope so, that game is looking phenomenal and it's only a few weeks away!

hirokazu

CryptiK said:
6s98i9.jpg
My KH collection is growing still more coming this month :D
There's a Birth by Sleep SE? What's in it? Also, where's original Kingdom Hearts?

Also, how the fuck is that ad racist? People need to fucking chill.

CryptiK

hirokazu said:
There's a Birth by Sleep SE? What's in it? Also, where's original Kingdom Hearts?

Also, how the fuck is that ad racist? People need to fucking chill.
AS stated above KH1 was borrowed away by my brotehr and it was never seen again... Im trying to find one but its hard >.> The SE contains 2 art cards and aa hardcover 48 page artbook mine is sealed so I dont know what it looks like.

Also if anyone here has a Mint KH1 that isnt platinum and is willing to sell shoot me a PM.

Wondering if you guys could help me, my post got ignored in one of the Mac threads. I got a 21.5" iMac the other day and it's awesome but wireless keeps messing up. Almost every time I wake from sleep it has dropped out, and it also does it randomly while I'm using it. It doesn't disconnect from the network, the internet just doesn't work. It works on my other Wifi devices at the same time.

hirokazu

CryptiK said:
AS stated above KH1 was borrowed away by my brotehr and it was never seen again... Im trying to find one but its hard >.> The SE contains 2 art cards and aa hardcover 48 page artbook mine is sealed so I dont know what it looks like.

Also if anyone here has a Mint KH1 that isnt platinum and is willing to sell shoot me a PM.
I lent Kingdom Hearts to someone and it came back without a case. >:|

I bought a copy off eBay but it turned out to be in shit condition, so I ended up buying another copy. Yeah, just for the case, LOL.

Makes me mad when people don't take care of shit you lend them. I've lost in excess of 10 DVDs because people are like "Are you sure you lent them to me? Go ask someone else!" even though I track that shit in Delicious Library. (Also, discs coming back with scratches all over them.)

Neverender said:
Wondering if you guys could help me, my post got ignored in one of the Mac threads. I got a 21.5" iMac the other day and it's awesome but wireless keeps messing up. Almost every time I wake from sleep it has dropped out, and it also does it randomly while I'm using it. It doesn't disconnect from the network, the internet just doesn't work. It works on my other Wifi devices at the same time.
Did you install any software updates or anything around the time this started happening? If so, try download and install a combo update from Apple and see how it goes. (Make sure you back shit with Time Machine or or preferred backup utility!)

hirokazu said:
Did you install any software updates or anything around the time this started happening? If so, try download and install a combo update from Apple and see how it goes. (Make sure you back shit with Time Machine or or preferred backup utility!)

I updated it pretty quickly and apparently have the latest update. This is my only beef so far :(

hirokazu

Neverender said:
I updated it pretty quickly and apparently have the latest update. This is my only beef so far :(
Yeah, you'll want to try the combo update because this will write over system files that may not have been updated properly from via Software Update or somehow became messed up.

A combo update has all the changes to the OS since the 10.x.0 release and will generally fix problems caused by bad updates. I had a problem with the 10.6.2 update which I fixed by installing the 10.6.2 combo update.

Also, I assume you've tried Repair file permissions and all that general stuff already.

EDIT: Conveniently, see this page http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100913113200365 which I believe may be related to your problem.

Alternatively, wait for 10.6.5 and hope it solves the problem, it should be released soon. ;)

Aon

Neverender said:

I have the exact same problem as you on my !5" MBP. Drops out every 5 to 10 minutes, have to disable and reenable airport to get it working again. The netowrk still shows five bars and the network settings don't identify any issues. Here's hoping apple fix this eventually.

Aon said:
I have the exact same problem as you on my !5" MBP. Drops out every 5 to 10 minutes, have to disable and reenable airport to get it working again. The netowrk still shows five bars and the network settings don't identify any issues. Here's hoping apple fix this eventually.
It does sound like an OS issue, but have you guys tried re-arranging your Service Order just in case? If you go to the Network preferences pane, from the little 'gear' button there's an option to set the Network Service Order. This is the order that the OS will poll the various network interfaces looking for a connection. If you put Airport at the top it will begin by scanning for Airport connections before moving on to the other interfaces.

It's a long shot but worth a try.

endlessflood said:
It does sound like an OS issue, but have you guys tried re-arranging your Service Order just in case? If you go to the Network preferences pane, from the little 'gear' button there's an option to set the Network Service Order. This is the order that the OS will poll the various network interfaces looking for a connection. If you put Airport at the top it will begin by scanning for Airport connections before moving on to the other interfaces.

It's a long shot but worth a try.

I just did this, hopefully it works. I downloaded the combo as hirokazu suggested but it says my disk volume doesn't meet the requirements to install for some reason.

Ydahs

Okay guys, it has been sent. Yes, the project is up and running but there is still a hurdle to overcome. A PM has been sent to EviLore. If I get my project greenlit, HistoGAF will be launching soon yay woopee go Saints.

I hope he doesn't mind that 12,000 page requests are needed to download the info for the first 20 pages of OT and Gaming (1.2 million posts)...

If he does mind and halts HistoGAF, well I accomplished my goal anyway and I'll just move on to my other project lined up...

CryptiK

Ydahs said:
Okay guys, it has been sent. Yes, the project is up and running but there is still a hurdle to overcome. A PM has been sent to EviLore. If I get my project greenlit, HistoGAF will be launching soon yay woopee go Saints.

I hope he doesn't mind that 12,000 page requests are needed to download the info for the first 20 pages of OT and Gaming (1.2 million posts)...

If he does mind and halts HistoGAF, well I accomplished my goal anyway and I'll just move on to my other project lined up...
Histo what now?

hamchan

Ydahs said:

He probably does mind. Turning off post history was because of bandwidth issues i think.

Ydahs

hamchan said:
He probably does mind. Turning off post history was because of bandwidth issues i think.
Though I did the calculation and those 1.2 million posts will generate < 100 MBs bandwidth usage of the GAF server... after the initial data collection it'll only be an odd 30-45 megs every few days.

Still no reply.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
OSX always drops the wireless connection when you're machine goes to sleep from memory. Even my few year old macbook at work does it, it's rather frustrating.

What modem do you have? Does it do the same with any other wireless devices, maybe apple ones especially? We had a linksys adsl modem a while back and none of the apple devices in the house liked it, everything would just disconnect every 10 mins - 1hr. Ethernet was fine though so i never noticed :D

hirokazu

evlcookie said:
OSX always drops the wireless connection when you're machine goes to sleep from memory. Even my few year old macbook at work does it, it's rather frustrating.

What modem do you have? Does it do the same with any other wireless devices, maybe apple ones especially? We had a linksys adsl modem a while back and none of the apple devices in the house liked it, everything would just disconnect every 10 mins - 1hr. Ethernet was fine though so i never noticed :D
Could be a compatibility issue, but he did mention that it didn't happen before. I had a wireless issue with my out of the box 21.5" half a year ago which I found no solution where it couldn't maintain a connection to network drives.

Ended up with Time Machine errors midway through backup, and worst of all if there was any file operations on network drives when the connection dropped, the operation would hang and crash Finder.

It fixed itself after some system updates though, so hopefully these problems here will be fixed with 10.6.5 if the combo update isn't working.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ydahs said:
Though I did the calculation and those 1.2 million posts will generate < 100 MBs bandwidth usage of the GAF server... after the initial data collection it'll only be an odd 30-45 megs every few days.

Still no reply.
Don't forget that he is vacationing around the US so he might not give you an answer anytime soon.

commissar

Ydahs said:

Still no reply.
Don't forget that he will get no revenue to help with bandwidth costs due to a lack of ads.

So in all seriousness the chances of that thing surviving is about nil.

Ydahs

commissar said:
Don't forget that he will get no revenue to help with bandwidth costs due to a lack of ads.

So in all seriousness the chances of that thing surviving is about nil.
The bandwidth issue was my worry about it being halted, since it'll probably add up to half a gig every month. But in this day and age, half a gig really isn't too much. My webhost offers me 200gigs a month at $20 so on my host half a gig is 5c... that awesome NeoGAF iPhone app is an example of EviLore allowing a project to go ahead which generates no revenue, though I think that app would have had a lot more demand than my experimentation. I think EviLore will be more concerned about the load it puts on the server than the bandwidth involved.

Now my biggest concern is the privacy issues involved. If I don't find a way to restrict it, anyone online will have access to the catalogue of user posts. I suggested an opt-in/opt-out restriction is possible or I could use another authentication method I'm employing on my current site, but many GAFers will probably not have alot of faith in that.

I guess all I can do now is wait.

In the meantime let's look at what people are trying to access on my site:

66.199.240.194 : /w00tw00t.at.blackhats.romanian.anti-sec:)

What followed that was 100 requests trying to gain access to my PHPMyAdmin account :lol

Choc

Banned
game breaking Metroid Other M bug

As IGN puts it "if the door on the far side of the lava pit in Sector 3 after you leave the desert refinery via the elevator is red, you're stuck." The offending door can be seen in the image above. Nintendo is aware of the issue but there is currently no solution to this problem.

no solution, BECAUSE YOU FAIL AT THE INTERNET

Clipper

Choc said:
game breaking Metroid Other M bug

As IGN puts it "if the door on the far side of the lava pit in Sector 3 after you leave the desert refinery via the elevator is red, you're stuck." The offending door can be seen in the image above. Nintendo is aware of the issue but there is currently no solution to this problem.

no solution, BECAUSE YOU FAIL AT THE INTERNET
The Metroid Primes had some glitches like this, but you really had to go out of your way to trigger them and they were fixed in the rereleases. It's a pity that this one seems so easy.

I guess Other M joins the ranks of Super Paper Mario and Twilight Princess in that you shouldn't save the game just for the point of saving in certain places now.

Edit: And looking back over things, Nintendo set up a replacement disc program for all the other times, so you can probably guarantee that's what they'll do for Other M too.

evlcookie said:

I have a DLINK DSL 2730B. It works fine for everything else including my iPhone. It does it while it's awake as well, just not while I'm actually using data over the wifi. If I'm reading an article for about 5 minutes without actually downloading anything it will drop out. Too far away to use ethernet (signal is good, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom