• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

Choc said:
harsh with a capital H geez mar :) It's a variant of Canabalt.

You thought it was harsh? In what way? You enjoyed the game then?

It didn't do much for me, but it isn't a bad game. I don't particularly subscribe to the dollar to fun ratio either. Whether it's a game for one dollar or a hundred dollars, it has to still be fun otherwise why play it?

markot

Banned
I saw darksiders for sale at JB for PC today >.<

think it was 59 or 69 bucks. Was gonna get it but gonna wait for a sales, waited a year already for the damn port >.>

Agyar

markot said:
I saw darksiders for sale at JB for PC today >.<

think it was 59 or 69 bucks. Was gonna get it but gonna wait for a sales, waited a year already for the damn port >.>

I didn't find Darksiders all that interesting. I could dig the setting and characters, but the combat was shallow and the game design just felt dated and transparent. I think people warmed to it because it reminded them of Zelda but the exploration and puzzle interaction was rudimentary and derivative. This is not to say that the design itself is bad, but I feel like so many of the elements in it have been explored and improved in other games that the basic structure just didn't cut it anymore. I may go back and finish it at some point, perhaps I'll feel more positively about it and I would like to see the story to completion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I don't have much to say about Darksiders.

nothing in it seemed worth any sort of real discussion. it was very... well, simple. it's nice to see a game that plays like Zelda that isn't Zelda, but the actual design was kind of mediocre.

Rez said:
yeah, I don't have much to say about Darksiders.

nothing in it seemed worth any sort of real discussion. it was very... well, simple. it's nice to see a game that plays like Zelda that isn't Zelda, but the actual design was kind of mediocre.
It was mostly the combat. They basically took the Zelda enemies, reskinned them and gave them monstrous amounts of HP. Oh, and threw a million of them at you at once.

My biggest annoyance going through dungeons was that the exploring and puzzle solving got padded out with a billion identical fights of attrition. Which is fine, if you like that sort of thing, but it seemed to me a ham-fisted way of extending out the game length.

Also, it reminded me of what Zelda would be like if Nintendo decided to make it "hard" with an extra game mode.

Rahk

Mar said:
Fuck me, Mirror's Edge on iPhone is fucking incredible. Why didn't anyone tell me?
Thought you would have already bought several copies on every device you own with the ability to play it already.

Gazunta

It's been so weird. Over the last week I've had about 3-4 phone calls a day from mainstream journos after a quote or two about why Brisbane is the capital of the Australian game development scene. Must be something in the water they're all drinking from.

They didn't use the 8x11" glossy promotional profile photo of me I supplied

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Gazunta said:
It's been so weird. Over the last week I've had about 3-4 phone calls a day from mainstream journos after a quote or two about why Brisbane is the capital of the Australian game development scene. Must be something in the water they're all drinking from.

They didn't use the 8x11" glossy promotional profile photo of me I supplied
mention giraffes!

Edit: Thought I'd add this here aswell as everywhere

anyone keen for some Gaffing on SC2 thisafternoon/tonight? I'll be on pretty much all the rest of hte day/night, msg me Niick.296 if you're keen :) we should get some happy times had.

Choabac

So what's the process of asking a US Gaffer to gift a steam game?

I want to get Civ 5, but it costs more on our store.

I just set up a paypal account linked with my CC, so that should handle the money transfer.

Agyar

Mar said:
Fuck me, Mirror's Edge on iPhone is fucking incredible. Why didn't anyone tell me?
I asked you how many copies you wanted. Also I'm sure I said it's good, maybe you should just listen to me more.

Also my new PC is now fun functioning. Going to get dinner and walk the dog I'm taking care of, while it downloads games on Steam. I've borrowed a spare 5670 video card my brother had to tide me over until I purchase one but I'm keen to test it, as he had some problems with it.

Windows 7 is still no OSX but maybe I'll feel more positively towards it when I (eventually) get a Dell Ultrasharp and the collude are correct.

Agyar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It was mostly the combat.
I thought it's problems ran deeper than the combat. The "acquire interactive item/ability, use I interactive item/ability to complete puzzle/progress" was just so exposed it felt contrived and boring. In a game where exploration should have been a strong point, it basically just took the player by the nose and dragged them along.

Kritz

Banned
FYI, minecraft is having a free weekend accidentally.

Download:
http://minecraft.net/download/Minecraft.exe?v=445

The client is about 0.25mb. At the moment I'm hosting a server on the following IP: 118.208.248.128:25565

Note that this IP will likely change due to my ISP having DHCP issues at the moment. If you want in, join the steam chat if you can't connect that way. Even if you don't have an account you can still join, due to verification servers being dead.

Mar

Agyar said:
I asked you how many copies you wanted. Also I'm sure I said it's good, maybe you should just listen to me more.

Well, first, it's an iPhone game. I didn't think it was actually going to be a 'game', let alone this good. Second, I don't know anyone that played the original Mirror's Edge to the extent that I did, so I didn't pay much head to praise nor criticism.

Kritz said:
FYI, minecraft is having a free weekend accidentally.

I assume when verification servers are back up the game is no longer 'free'? Didn't those guys get bought out by Valve?

Kritz

Banned
Mar said:
I assume when verification servers are back up the game is no longer 'free'? Didn't those guys get bought out by Valve?

Not bought out yet. And yeah, when the servers are back online, it'll be pay-for again. But if anyone wants a quick taste of the game, here's a good chance.

Notch said:
Free Minecraft until this gets fixed

Phew. Wow. I never should’ve tried doing an update without fixing the performance issues.

Rlan

Speaking of articles, Halfbrick's Baz got a spot in this month's Xbox mag.

57474885.jpg

So you to can chase bush pigs and not finish high school, and you to can become a games' programmer / producer :p

Gazunta

OMG POSTING SCANS!!! BANZORS!!!!111!!one

So does this mean Raskulls is coming very very soon?

Last month's OAXM interview subject was way cuter though

Edit: Tell Ben it wasn't our storage room, it was our local tip :)

Edit 2: Wait wait, Ben's an Executive Producer now?! Holy cow, he's done well :) And well deserved I really enjoyed working with him back in our GBA days.

Axiom

I was watching the Tested.com video of Windows Phone 7 games at PAX and just seeing the Fruit Ninja and Flight Control icons made me all WOO AUSSIE!

I sure am patriotic about Aussie devs given I want to move overseas so much.

So Ausgaf, I'm planning to get a mobile plan. I'm currently using my own phone (Optus prepaid) and I'd like to get a decent Android smartphone with a plan (my budget is around $40, inclusive of phone costs). Any recommendations? I'm not really interested in 3G data plans and stuff as I am looking for a phone with wifi. Thanks! :D

OneMoreQuestion said:
So Ausgaf, I'm planning to get a mobile plan. I'm currently using my own phone (Optus prepaid) and I'd like to get a decent Android smartphone with a plan (my budget is around $40, inclusive of phone costs). Any recommendations? I'm not really interested in 3G data plans and stuff as I am looking for a phone with wifi. Thanks! :D

I don't know anything about Android phones and it's not really a starting point as you have to choose a phone to use it, but I think this is a good tool for comparing mobile plans: http://mobile-phones.smh.com.au/MobilePhones

And if I'm understanding it correctly, you could add every Android phone to your search, put your budget as $40 and it would show you all of them which fits under that criteria.

roosters93 said:
I don't know anything about Android phones and it's not really a starting point as you have to choose a phone to use it, but I think this is a good tool for comparing mobile plans: http://mobile-phones.smh.com.au/MobilePhones

And if I'm understanding it correctly, you could add every Android phone to your search, put your budget as $40 and it would show you all of them which fits under that criteria.

Thanks man. I'm now looking at the Sony Ericsson X10 on the $29 Optus cap, it looks very tempting, especially since that 2.1 update is supposed to come out soon. Does anyone here have it? Some feedback would be great! :D

Bernbaum

I'm in London!

So is that Pope guy, incidentally. To celebrate his public address on Saturday, I went to the Natural History Museum and spent the whole day looking at fossils.

Choc

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
Thanks man. I'm now looking at the Sony Ericsson X10 on the $29 Optus cap, it looks very tempting, especially since that 2.1 update is supposed to come out soon. Does anyone here have it? Some feedback would be great! :D

Don't get the X10

It is running android 1.6 and sony has not announced any plans to bring it up to 2.0 or beyond

50% or more of the stuff in the market requires 2.0 and above so you are limiting yourself big

i cant' believe sony released a 1.6 model in the last 3 months its ridiculous

Agyar

OneMoreQuestion said:

Saying you'll get a smart phone but not use data in favour of wifi sounds great in practice but having some data is really important if you want to use some of the core features, like GPS maps. I'd reconsider locking yourself in for two years without at least a basic data pack (e.g. 250-300MB).

Whoops, I forgot to mention that the $29 Optus cap for the X10 includes 200mb a month. Is that good enough for Google maps and stuff? And it's been confirmed that 2.1 would be coming to the X10 series before the end of this month so no worries there :D

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but apparently access to eBay, Twitter and Facebook doesn't count towards your bandwidth count if you sign up with Optus. Is this correct?

Agyar

OneMoreQuestion said:
Whoops, I forgot to mention that the $29 Optus cap for the X10 includes 200mb a month. Is that good enough for Google maps and stuff? And it's been confirmed that 2.1 would be coming to the X10 series before the end of this month so no worries there :D

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but apparently access to eBay, Twitter and Facebook doesn't count towards your bandwidth count if you sign up with Optus. Is this correct?

200Mb would be enough, if you're a light user and have easy access to wifi at home/work. Personally I use a lot of data, I was consistently reaching my 1GB cap with my iPhone 3G and now I've upgraded to 3GB with my iPhone 4 and I've used 1.6GB so far this month (thank to Giantbomb's new mobile site).

giri

OneMoreQuestion said:

Telstra have the HTC Desire ( a very good Android phone) on a 45/m contract that includes data.

OneMoreQuestion said:

Is and it isn't, it is if you use their portal, and access it through that. How ever if you use one of the facebook/twitter apps that you download from the Marketplace, no, that will use your normal data.

Mar

Posted in the Dead Rising 2 OT, but thought I'd pose the same question here:

Case Zero was so good, and now I'm thinking of getting the zombrex edition for the 360. I'm in Australia and thinking of getting the JB Hi-Fi version that has 3 avatar items. Does anyone know what those are?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I hate you all.

Fucking hate you all.

I've been here since 8am on Minecraft.

after going to sleep after minecrafting til midnight.

:(

jambo

Shaneus said:
Ahaha. This post needs elaboration or, in the absence of such, overimaginative speculation as to what exactly you're referring to.
Nothing too special, just the first time I'd dropped in a while. When I got home I was BUZZING!

Shaneus

jambo said:
Nothing too special, just the first time I'd dropped in a while. When I got home I was BUZZING!
:lol
Whenever I come home in a similar state (or really, really pissed) the first thing I do is turn off my netbook. That shit can get dangerous!

jambo

Shaneus said:
:lol
Whenever I come home in a similar state (or really, really pissed) the first thing I do is turn off my netbook. That shit can get dangerous!
Haha yeah I quickly checked NeoGAF on my phone and then put it down.

Then I looked at my ceiling for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom