• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must stop looking at vintage Nintendo playing cards, and Super/Famicom games on eBay.

I don't need, and would never use these things. But I want them!

Anyone like Volition games? Must watch the hour long interview on Game Informer, absolutely awesome. Seems like Guerrilla was made to be a Red Faction game initially because of the painful experience of their Heist game getting cancelled after 12 months work. Also I pray to monkey jesus that they can get a hold of the Freespace licence so they can work on it after Saints 3. Talks about the shift from 8 man development teams to 100+ which seemed quite daunting on Mike Kulas' face. Would be strange to go from knowing every process in a game to not even knowing if the guy standing in front of you works on your game.

Can't wait for time shift this weekend! Sick of it being so damn cold in the morning.

jambo said:
I'll only love Volition when they make FreeSpace 3
Mail your local member to inform him of the importance of this issue! We must find out who owns the rights to Freespace and round up some donations. The Freespace Levy would pass unanimously. For the greater good.

legend166

I decided I'm going to buy a Kindle with my bonus money.

The first books I'll buy will be The Dark Tower. I got the first 4 years ago, but the second book had pages missing, so I had to take it back. I think I used the money to buy video games.

I will redeem myself.

legend166 said:

The first books I'll buy will be The Dark Tower. I got the first 4 years ago, but the second book had pages missing, so I had to take it back. I think I used the money to buy video games.

I will redeem myself.
Good lad, the books get progressively bigger so you will be reading them for quite some time. Also recommend The Night Watch series and if you like The Witcher grab all of Andrzej Sapkowski's books.

hamchan

legend166 said:

I will redeem myself.
I've been struggling through the 4th book in the series for a long time now.

Mar

Ok Nintendo people. My wife has started playing her DS again out of the blue (no, she did not know there was a 3DS released today and she isn't interested), and I could do with buying her a gift. So my question for the faithful:

Has there been any good Mario / Yoshi games released in the last 2 or 3 years for the DS that are cool and I should buy for her.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Anyone like Volition games? Must watch the hour long interview on Game Informer, absolutely awesome. Seems like Guerrilla was made to be a Red Faction game initially because of the painful experience of their Heist game getting cancelled after 12 months work. Also I pray to monkey jesus that they can get a hold of the Freespace licence so they can work on it after Saints 3. Talks about the shift from 8 man development teams to 100+ which seemed quite daunting on Mike Kulas' face. Would be strange to go from knowing every process in a game to not even knowing if the guy standing in front of you works on your game.

Can't wait for time shift this weekend! Sick of it being so damn cold in the morning.
I only just realised today when playing RFG and I *didn't* click through the opening screens that it's made by Volition. That, coupled with the fact that I thoroughly loved the shit out of both Saints games... yeah, you could say I like 'em.

PS. Interesting to read that Volition was born from Parallax who worked on the first couple of Descent games. If they decide to make (or remake) those games, I'll shit a brick. Fucking loved Descent (and by association, Terminal Velocity) back in the day.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
legend166 said:

I will redeem myself.

The Dark tower is probably one of the few "big" fantasy series i haven't gotten around to reading yet.

Really should get around to it.

Yagharek

Mar said:
Ok Nintendo people. My wife has started playing her DS again out of the blue (no, she did not know there was a 3DS released today and she isn't interested), and I could do with buying her a gift. So my question for the faithful:

Has there been any good Mario / Yoshi games released in the last 2 or 3 years for the DS that are cool and I should buy for her.

Bowser's Inside Story?

Deeku

3d in nintendogs is pretty neat. The spit from my dog is all over my face!

Eyes feel a bit tired though, might be because I'm actually tired. I found that a tiny bit of 3d is enough for me, can't really take the full blast of 3d.

FC is 0774 - 4271 - 3438

will add to doc and add everyone so please add me too:)

Bernbaum

It's almost exclusively catered to Australian audiences, but Chris Lilley's "We Can be Heroes" is genius and deserves to be mentioned in the same breaths as The Office and Arrested Development.

Holy crap, watching TV on the iPad is great.

guidop

Bernbaum said:
It's almost exclusively catered to Australian audiences, but Chris Lilley's "We Can be Heroes" is genius and deserves to be mentioned in the same breaths as The Office and Arrested Development.

Been drinking Phil Olivetti's kool-aid? Find his sketches he did for that 7 sketch comedy show was called the big something, equally classic -edit-Big Bite. The Mr. G character was bit more nuanced and had more depth from memory on Big Bite

Also if you haven't check out a show called Marion & Geoff (I'm sure you have) I recommend it. It is of similar style to Chris lilley stuff

Mar said:

Nope, none whatsoever.

No Yoshi games, but there have been a Mario vs Donkey Kong and Bowser's Inside Story since YIDS and NSMB. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

BTW: My 3DS friend code is 1805 - 2192 - 6727

Choc

Banned
just as an fyi you can setup email alerts from DHL on their tracking page for future reference :)

so it will email you automatically when stuff progresses through the chain

i am about to present to 400 people at a marketing industry conference. Hold me.

Bernbaum said:

His new show "Angry Boys" starts soon. There was a ~5 minute preview on the ABC the other day and it looks pretty good.

It's in the same vein as We Can Be Heroes and Summer Heights High. The characters he plays are
Nathan and Daniel from WCBH, a surfer, a female prison guard, a black American rapper and an Asian-American mother of a famous skateboarder.

You can watch the preview here: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/angryboys/

giri

Mar said:
Ahh, you're renting out an apartment? Strata is a killer.

I've rented all my life and I've never known the landlord to pay electricity. Water is common, but not elec.
I've only ever really known them to pay strata.

Choc said:
just as an fyi you can setup email alerts from DHL on their tracking page for future reference :)

so it will email you automatically when stuff progresses through the chain

i am about to present to 400 people at a marketing industry conference. Hold me.
I hope for their sake no one mentions GST on Bus tickets.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I bought Game of Thrones in the Kindle app and nearly fell asleep after a few pages.

The second anyone calls someone else 'Sir' or seems like a Knight, I'm much less likely to find it interesting.

But then I've never been able to get into LOTR, so maybe I'm just being a Gen Y ADD twat.

Rez said:
I bought Game of Thrones in the Kindle app and nearly fell asleep after a few pages.

The second anyone calls someone else 'Sir' or seems like a Knight, I'm much less likely to find it interesting.

But then I've never been able to get into LOTR, so maybe I'm just being a Gen Y ADD twat.

Stick with it, it takes a while to get your head around all the different characters but once you do it grabs you by the nuts and doesn't let go!

hamchan

Rez said:

Stick with it. I've tried reading LotR too but it's not for me. Too many descriptions of hills in the background or how boring their travels were etc. However ASOIAF is so damn compelling once you get into it. The way it's written just makes you want to keep reading after each chapter.

Kritz

Banned
Rahk said:
I haven't been hyped for the 3DS at all and wasn't planning on getting one anytime soon, but now that everyone is showing off their shiny new toys...

I still might wait until a major title comes out.

It is kinda tempting to buy a new shiny thing just because it's new and shiny. :(

*checks bank account*

haha okay no thanks :<

*checks ebgames*

$250 if I trade in my DSi I never use? Hrm...

I suspect today is going to have many morale choices.

hamchan

I think someone in here said before DSi was worth $175 trade in value and DSL was worth $100?

EDIT: Hmm seems that's only for certain EBs and it's only $80 for DSL, $140 for DSi :-/

giri

BanShunsaku said:
Stick with it, it takes a while to get your head around all the different characters but once you do it grabs you by the nuts and doesn't let go!
It lets go. Most over hyped book series in a long long time.

complete personal opinion, i'm just not a big fan of the series, i got to the end of book 4 and have very little interest in continuing with it

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shocking news, Train girl still exists. I saw her walk by on her stop to my surprise, I'm guessing she moved up towards the middle to front and now has headphones.

So something has changed. People tend to be really repetitive in nature and she is now sitting elsewhere and with headphones, shocking development i say.

Maybe she reads gaf and figured out who i was, Sorry train lady :(

Woah Gamestop purchased impulse? I guess they needed to pull their finger out and get online.

I hope these april fools jokes don't last too long, I can never be arsed with them.

giri said:
It lets go. Most over hyped book series in a long long time.

complete personal opinion, i'm just not a big fan of the series, i got to the end of book 4 and have very little interest in continuing with it

GRRM still has my testicles firmly grasped!

RE 3DS - I'm pretty happy with my purchase, been waiting for the buyers remorse to kick in but I don't think it is going to.

I mean it is not like I'm going to be playing it non stop (I never tend to play handhelds for extended periods of time), but I am quite impressed with the technology and I am genuinely excited to see what developers do with it in the future.

giri

BanShunsaku said:
GRRM still has my testicles firmly grasped!

RE 3DS - I'm pretty happy with my purchase, been waiting for the buyers remorse to kick in but I don't think it is going to.

I mean it is not like I'm going to be playing it non stop (I never tend to play handhelds for extended periods of time), but I am quite impressed with the technology and I am genuinely excited to see what developers do with it in the future.
I find Ian Irvine (Local Aussie writer too! From bathurst iirc) much more compelling :p

Stackboy

Will join all you 3DS owners in a years time, when they release a new Mario game for it.

Until then, I will live vicariously through your online adventures. Don't let me down.

Shaneus

You know, I was doing really, REALLY fucking well with not buying games (currently working on finishing RFG) but ozgameshop are selling NBA 2k11 for PC for $14 shipped.

Fucking cunts.

legend166

I satisfied my "oh man I really need to buy something new" and just bought a Kindle. Much cheaper than a 3DS, too.

I couldn't be bothered waiting for my bonus. Now I need it to get here!

Shaneus said:
You know, I was doing really, REALLY fucking well with not buying games (currently working on finishing RFG) but ozgameshop are selling NBA 2k11 for PC for $14 shipped.

Fucking cunts.

I emailed them and told them to do that.

hamchan said:
Stick with it. I've tried reading LotR too but it's not for me. Too many descriptions of hills in the background or how boring their travels were etc.
It's well-known that the first third to half of Fellowship of the Ring is incredibly dull. Took me a couple of goes but once you get started you'll run all the way to the end.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:
Screw you guys, I love the first half of Fellowship.

I wish there was just a book about hobbits messing around in the shire : (
Me too!

I love the 'world building' part of stories the most. Especially ones where I can be cosy and eat seed cake and scoff ale like the lazy fuck that I am.

Probably why I has to adapt to how ASoIaF tells its story. It's super character driven and reveals the tropes of its world in a passive, minimalist style. It's 'The Wire' of fantasy stories in more ways than one.

codswallop said:
It's well-known that the first third to half of Fellowship of the Ring is incredibly dull. Took me a couple of goes but once you get started you'll run all the way to the end.

It took me a couple of goes to get through Fellowship. Once I knew that Tolkein loved language (what with being a Eng Lit Professor) and started to read it as being written by a man that loved language and that this book was an exploration of the world he created via words, it made it easier to read.

Having said that, he can bloody well waffle on when he wants.

Danoss

codswallop said:
I got into it first go, sadly I didn't make it all the way to the end. I got about half-way through Return of the King and couldn't go on any further. I found trying to read about the battle and having it jump around constantly very hard to read.

I actually found The Hobbit harder to begin reading with the constant *knock knock* "Hello I'm such and such" throughout the first chapter. So glad I got past it and finished that magnificent book.

Still have A Game of Thrones to get started on, which I really want to get done before the TV series begins. No chance of that happening with the show so very close to release now.

Aon

For April Fools there are half a million people around RMIT dressed as the grim reaper. Every single tutor thinks they're very clever by acknowledging them.

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
I emailed them and told them to do that.
grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

So, where are the April Fool's Day pranks/news items? I'm not seeing jack around my office or on any websites. I guess we need to give it a few hours for the rest of the world to catch up?

Wait, so the 3DS doesn't let you enter a friend code unless you're:

a) Online, or

b) have the person right in front of you?

That kinda sucks :(

Also, I've earned 10 coins already and all I did was walk to work. I think the pedometer is either broken or earns you coins way too quick.

Bernbaum

Aon said:
For April Fools there are half a million people around RMIT dressed as the grim reaper. Every single tutor thinks they're very clever by acknowledging them.
Yeah there was a cockhead walking around Brisbane central station in a black cloak and the Scream mask trying to get a response. Might have worked a decade ago, but everyone these days everyone is too involved in their electronics gadgets as they walk to their places of work to give a shit.

Aon

My debates class is god damn classy. One girl put forward "I heard that apple have already finished production on the iPhone 8 and 9 but are staggering release to artificially inflate demand"

Shaneus

Aon said:
My debates class is god damn classy. One girl put forward "I heard that apple have already finished production on the iPhone 8 and 9 but are staggering release to artificially inflate demand"
Bahahahahahahaha. Wow.

Danoss

Aon said:
Classy is one word for it.

giri

Shaneus said:

Fucking cunts.
You got suckered, it's a terrible game.

Shaneus

It is? I haven't actually bought it yet. But I'd heard it was actually pretty good (from basketball freaks).

Or is that just reverse reverse psychology to make sure I don't buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom