• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
evlcookie said:
Along the pacific highway.

Same, let me know if you ever need backup in a fight!

As for spiders, this little fella wandered in to say 'hi' a while ago...

4437192635_01982b1d22_z.jpg

ahhaahha, beard pic is great. also my thoughts. had 6 men tell me i look like a hobo and other similar comments, but my gf told me she likes it and i had a similar comment from a random chick.....i'm not sure weather i smell jealousy or lies?

Danoss

evlcookie said:
This was in the warehouse at work. I figured it was a funnel or huntsman going by he size of him. Like the size of your palm. He was just sitting there in the box, got him with some raid but he then bailed out of the box after that.
Most likely a huntsman. They're pussycats, really. Even if you just poked it, it would have run away as they're pretty skittish. They're my favourite spider; big and scary looking, but essentially harmless. One of the coolest by far.

Quick google image pic as I don't currently have my own.
wollongong_huntsman.jpg

As for looking after beards, I recommend grabbing a Wahl Groomsman. Don't get the rechargeable one, they don't last long at all, plus if you need a trim and the batteries run flat, you're screwed. I've been running mine on the original AAs they came with and it's still going after many weeks of use.

jambo

Marshmellow said:
ahhaahha, beard pic is great. also my thoughts. had 6 men tell me i look like a hobo and other similar comments, but my gf told me she likes it and i had a similar comment from a random chick.....i'm not sure weather i smell jealousy or lies?

I used to have the same thing. I always thought I looked stupid with a bit of stubble on my face, but my ex convinced me to not shave as much as she loved it.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
This was in the warehouse at work. I figured it was a funnel or huntsman going by he size of him. Like the size of your palm. He was just sitting there in the box, got him with some raid but he then bailed out of the box after that.

I don't like killing spiders or any creature but if they are that huge, death to them.

So maybe i will be here next week as well. I have no idea, But since they have no one else but 1 person here, I'm guessing that might be the plan.

Not sure how i feel about it. I wouldn't mind going home just since it's home and i have real net and i am alone in this place so nfi what i could do if i did stay the weekend.

Find out in a day or two i guess.
There's lots of places you could go on the weekend. I'm sure SydGAF can keep you company :).

Danoss

commanderdeek said:
I really hope spider discussion will not be a regular returning topic in ausgaf like property.
I wish it would, I think spiders are awesome. Cockroaches on the other hand...

Fredescu

I have a huge friendly Orb spider near my shed who likes to use my bins as an anchor point for his huge web. Orbs make the coolest webs. Every week I have to apologise and break it so I can take the bin out, but like a trooper he's always back the next day, killing bugs for me.

Golden Orb spiders freak me out. Their yellow webs always look so aged and raggedy - like the web's been there forever and making whatever they've built their web on seem haunted.

Not to mention they're HUGE and look like something out of your nightmares.

Aon

Hmm, might be popping into the Melbourne IGDA meeting tonight for some assignment. Way nervous about the whole thing though.
Hopefully the ~130 rsvps on Facebook are in some way indicative of how many people there will be. It's kind of hard to stand out as awkward in a throng of 100 people.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
I have a huge friendly Orb spider near my shed who likes to use my bins as an anchor point for his huge web. Orbs make the coolest webs. Every week I have to apologise and break it so I can take the bin out, but like a trooper he's always back the next day, killing bugs for me.

do you seriously go up and say 'sorry dude' :D

that would be awesome

also

maybe you should reconsider how much you waste you make :p the spider is a green fighting machine!

Fredescu

This guy makes a new web every day. He's not a Golden Orb, I think he's a Garden Orb.

Choc said:
do you seriously go up and say 'sorry dude' :D
Well, no, but I feel kinda bad, because it's a sweet web.

Kritz

Banned
I sadistically murder any and all bugs and spiders and shit I find.

Put them in an empty jam jar filled with tissue paper, light a match, and watch them burn. I'm a bad person.

Shaneus

I really only have daddy longlegs around my place. They're pretty good but they're ALWAYS in my shower. Sometimes I'm feeling vengeful for whatever reason and drown the fuckers, other times I'll stay out of their way and apologise if I wash them down.

Danoss

Fredescu said:
Well, no, but I feel kinda bad, because it's a sweet web.
If you've got time one day, you should watch them build the web, it's absolutely incredible.

The cool thing about Orb spiders (besides their awesome web and the initial timed jump they make to start it off) is that they're not aggressive and not venomous to humans. They will just terrify you if you run into their web unaware.

I had one that made a web across my entire driveway every night for about a month. The first time I saw it I was walking up the driveway at night, I couldn't see a thing as it was pitch black and as I approached it, our sensor light went off and I stopped with the Orb spider just inches from my face. Great timing, I'm glad i didn't ruin his web (plus as much as I like spiders, I still do the "get it off me, there's silk everywhere" dance if I walk into a web).

I currently have a spider that makes a web revolving around a curled up leaf, which it lives in. I have no idea what type it is, but it's cool nonetheless. I feel bad every time I put the clothes out and rotate the line, ruining his web.

Created my first stored procedure and trigger in MSSQL 2008 today. Not really much different to doing it in Oracle, except I don't hate MSSQL.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fusebox said:
Same, let me know if you ever need backup in a fight!

I'm around the 220 - 240 mark. If you say you are the same then i'm going to shit bricks but i don't think you work in the same building :D

Fredescu said:

So funny. Same thing in front of my place, using my bins as web anchor points. Used to feel terrible destroying the web to get the bins out every Thursday night.

Got some great photos at home. It used to get Christmas Beetles in there nearly daily.

Danoss

-Deadpool- said:
It used to get Christmas Beetles in there nearly daily.
Heh, I swear they are one of the dumbest insects. Once they get near my house, they just fly into walls, stun themselves, then get up and fly into another wall.

Danoss said:
Heh, I swear they are one of the dumbest insects. Once they get near my house, they just fly into walls, stun themselves, then get up and fly into another wall.

Its the oddest thing. They smack themselves into the bedroom bay window over and over, basically just keep bouncing off until they're accidentally pointing in a direction that's not the window.

Goddamn it this thread isn't safe to venture into anymore.

Also I finally get to work at home for one day and a bit of my tooth decides to break off while having lunch. Joy. Off to find out what dental cover I have!

Danoss said:
Awesome. What lens were they taken with?

I'm looking at picking up some extension tubes for my 100mm or perhaps an MP-E 65.
Same one, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM.

Will be grabbing some ex. tubes for mine too. Don't really have the budget for another macro lens.

Danoss said:
I'm looking at picking up some extension tubes for my 100mm or perhaps an MP-E 65.
Extension tubes -- at least in my experience -- are only useful for things that don't move, because they require much longer exposures than a regular macro lens.

Danoss

Aww c'mon, you can't say some spiders aren't cute. Just look at this one.

4290480286_824033c2d5.jpg

LOOK.

-Deadpool- said:
Same one, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM.

Will be grabbing some ex. tubes for mine too. Don't really have the budget for another macro lens.
Nice. Cheapest set I can find is here.

codswallop said:
Extension tubes -- at least in my experience -- are only useful for things that don't move, because they require much longer exposures than a regular macro lens.
They just decrease the minimum focusing distance and increase magnification. They do decrease the amount of light, but you should have a flash if you're shooting macro, which solves the issue.

Danoss said:
Aww c'mon, you can't say some spiders aren't cute. Just look at this one.

4290480286_824033c2d5.jpg

LOOK.

Nice. Cheapest set I can find is here.

Those little garden jumping spiders are awesome. Super animated when you get up close. Have some great shots of them peering over the edges of leaves, looking down below and stuff like that.

Great, thanks.

Danoss

-Deadpool- said:
Those little garden jumping spiders are awesome. Super animated when you get up close. Have some great shots of them peering over the edges of leaves, looking down below and stuff like that.
I wish that shot was mine, I haven't been able to find any of them yet. :(

They are indeed super animated in everything that I've seen about them. I saw a brilliant doco on one that followed it hunting other spiders, being creative in different attacks. I wish I could find it again.

Danoss said:
I wish that shot was mine, I haven't been able to find any of them yet. :(

They are indeed super animated in everything that I've seen about them. I saw a brilliant doco on one that followed it hunting other spiders, being creative in different attacks. I wish I could find it again.
Should be able to dig up a heap when I get home tonight.

Sounds awesome!

Fusebox

Banned
evlcookie said:
I'm around the 220 - 240 mark. If you say you are the same then i'm going to shit bricks but i don't think you work in the same building :D

Nah, I'm up around 500. Got a 3DS with Streetpass? I'll keep an eye out for your Mii. :p

Danoss

-Deadpool- said:
Should be able to dig up a heap when I get home tonight.

Sounds awesome!
Brilliant, I'd love to see more.

The spider in question is called the Fringed Jumping Spider (Portia Sp.) It hunts other spiders exclusively.

Clipper

Fusebox said:
Nah, I'm up around 500. Got a 3DS with Streetpass? I'll keep an eye out for your Mii. :p
He doesn't.. but we're hoping to change that at the SydGAF meetup :p.

Just kidding. 3DSes are probably going to be in the minority at SydGAF, but there will be several there :D.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Man someone is eating some nasty stuff at work and it's sticking up the office.

it's your kindle in the bin on fire

speaking of street pass, i left my 3DS near the window last night, and dead set it picked someone up driving or walking past.

legend166

Choc said:
it's your kindle in the bin on fire

speaking of street pass, i left my 3DS near the window last night, and dead set it picked someone up driving or walking past.

don't even joke about that : (

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It looks like my bank is claiming that there's some sort of holdup on valves end with their bank. I've sent valve another email saying this, Let's see what they say.

I also think i will head into the city early on thursday. I want to check out myer / the city for a small amount of time. Good chance i will get lost but i should be able to figure my way back to meeting clipper or just straight to the australian at 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom