• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a completely unrelated note. i just got asked to do some testing on a new machine that i might be getting for work.

Quad core 3.07gig, 24 gig of ram, windows 7, dual 24" screens, High end graphics card (i was locked out of the device manager, couldn't see it)

Such overkill for a work PC but i will gladly take it :D

Marshmellow said:
Quad core 3.07gig, 24 gig of ram, windows 7, dual 24" screens, High end graphics card (i was locked out of the device manager, couldn't see it)

Such overkill for a work PC but i will gladly take it :D
Given some of the software (from quite possibly the worst developers in the world) I'm testing right now, those specs would be quite welcome. Also, AutoCAD 2011 is as slow as a wet week.

codswallop said:
Given some of the software (from quite possibly the worst developers in the world) I'm testing right now, those specs would be quite welcome. Also, AutoCAD 2011 is as slow as a wet week.

Har har har. You just brought so much amusement to my day.
Also working with 2011 currently. SO SHIT. Us boys sitting around this morning and ready to take sledgehammers to the PC's.

Its mostly network issues though, which i don't have a great handle on other than, "upgrade it so its faster"

Marshmellow said:
Also working with 2011 currently. SO SHIT. Us boys sitting around this morning and ready to take sledgehammers to the PC's.
At least the software you're testing doesn't take upwards of 15 minutes the first time you start it (admittedly it does install itself via ClickOnce and then retrieve a lot of data), and up to 5 minutes for each successive start...

Aon said:
God damn, given that COD tends be a bit annualised, do you thank that May might perhaps be a tad late for a toolkit?
Sounds like a good marketing ploy to me.

codswallop said:
At least the software you're testing doesn't take upwards of 15 minutes the first time you start it (admittedly it does install itself via ClickOnce and then retrieve a lot of data), and up to 5 minutes for each successive start...

Sounds like a good marketing ploy to me.

Sounds like you have one crazy system.

Ive been trying to force myself into learning something like coding or scripting with VB or Photoshop in my spare time but keep failing.

Anyone got any ideas or ways i can maybe motivate myself to do it?
Ive tried setting a small goal but i reached it and then kinda gave up/got bored.

Marshmellow said:
Sounds like you have one crazy system.
It's the system I was bitching about a few weeks back that we need 41 databases for (admittedly that's counting development, testing environment and production, but it's still crazy).

Clipper

I'll just do the usual IANAL preface, but I think The Hut might be in a bit of trouble. If that e-mail originated from an Australian branch of marketing or something like that, I'm almost certain they just broke the law. I doubt that this has any implications in International law, but it is very possible that the stunt could damage any distribution rights they have here.

Te fact that the site is down now seems to indicate a few possibilities:
1: The ad worked, just started spreading on websites and site crashed due to demand.
2: Some sort of sanctions are occurring.
3: The Hut realised what sort of hot water they might be in and pulled the plug to fix things/cover asses.
4: It's just down for some unrelated reason.

First two options are unlikely to me as demand probably isn't that high and there's no way sanctions could have gone through so quickly. It seems too fast for even a warning letter. So yeah, are they covering their asses or is ti coincidence? I guess we'll need to wait and see.

Hey all I'm new here so I thought I'd just drop by an say hi.

I'm from Perth, I know a few of the guys around here (namely Vook, Nemesis and Bernbaum), I've been reading NeoGaf for a few years and after waiting finally got my account activated (yay me). I'm a huge Nintendo fan but do delve into other systems from time and again, heck I own a PSPGo which I love to death so can't call me a total Nintendo fanboy :p.

So any good advice from you all so I can more enjoy my stay on Neogaf?

Frawdder

Worthintendo said:

I'm from Perth, I know a few of the guys around here (namely Vook, Nemesis and Bernbaum), I've been reading NeoGaf for a few years and after waiting finally got my account activated (yay me). I'm a huge Nintendo fan but do delve into other systems from time and again, heck I own a PSPGo which I love to death so can't call me a total Nintendo fanboy :p.

Play more PC games.

hamchan

Worthintendo said:

Welcome friend. This thread is pretty damn chill, not so much out there in the wilds (gaming forum) as you probably know. So anyways, just don't post anything that will get you banned for the first 300 posts or you'll get a perma lol.

Worthintendo said:

Participate! That is all.

ps. Welcome

jambo

Portal 2 is pre-loading at home =D

Also everyone should buy Borderlands GOTY, it's $7-fucking-.50!

Worthintendo said:

PC games

Worthintendo said:

Frawdder said:
Play more PC games.
Just tell everyone you play PC Games. Like me: I've played most of them and have beat all of the good ones that everyone is currently enjoying. I hate playing games on a couch because it isn't hardcore enough.

(Welcome :) I hope you enjoy your stay.)

Clipper said:
First two options are unlikely to me as demand probably isn't that high and there's no way sanctions could have gone through so quickly. It seems too fast for even a warning letter. So yeah, are they covering their asses or is ti coincidence? I guess we'll need to wait and see.
Being very early in the morning in England, it could just be a large site update? I just make the prophecies; I don't explain how or why they happen, sorry.

Clipper

Planet_JASE said:
Being very early in the morning in England, it could just be a large site update? I just make the prophecies; I don't explain how or why they happen, sorry.
That would be part of category 4. However, it's been down for hours now, which is rather suspicious.

Gazunta

DAMN STRAIGHT
Ricki-Lee-Coulter.jpg

Shaneus

Clipper said:
I'll just do the usual IANAL preface, but I think The Hut might be in a bit of trouble. If that e-mail originated from an Australian branch of marketing or something like that, I'm almost certain they just broke the law. I doubt that this has any implications in International law, but it is very possible that the stunt could damage any distribution rights they have here.

1: The ad worked, just started spreading on websites and site crashed due to demand.
3: The Hut realised what sort of hot water they might be in and pulled the plug to fix things/cover asses.

My first thought would be that if they knew they fucked up, they'd just send another email along the lines of "It's come to our attention that the Mortal Kombat game is banned for sale in Australia..." etc. Whether they choose to honour any prior presales or not would be up in the air, though.

PS. Oh Ricki-Lee, you're so fine.

Stackboy

Anyone else getting Portal 2 on PS3, just to see how new fangly this steam on PSN thingie is going to be?

I'll probably end up playing it more on PC, but I'm just curious.

Danoss said:

mm. im not sure how long it will take for my page to move past this point.
if i just repost it some more tho it will prolong the experience, haha.

I went for my portal 2 on good ol' PC. Its pre-loading on my currently stuffed net (thanks btw tpg/telstra)

Will be up for some co-op if anyone wants!

Shaneus said:
My first thought would be that if they knew they fucked up, they'd just send another email along the lines of "It's come to our attention that the Mortal Kombat game is banned for sale in Australia..." etc. Whether they choose to honour any prior presales or not would be up in the air, though.

PS. Oh Ricki-Lee, you're so fine.

Does it work on AUS accounts. or is there some weird region lock thingo.

i own borderlands but would pay that and get it again, but the reason i would do that is the same as the reason i wouldnt. my dlc keys email got deleted and while i still have the codes no one would resend the email or help me out so .... FUCK THEM.

EDIT: But man is that a great game or what.

I'll see your Ricki Lee and raise you:

01_ep106__mg_6567.jpg

damn it amazon- where's my season 4 box set?

Every fucking Thursday, I have Jehovah's Fucking Witnesses knocking on my door. Why? I keep ignoring them. They now seem to come, park outside my house, knock, leave a pamphlet and then drive off.

Im pretty Meh personally on Joan. I was actually watching a season 2 episode last night and heard a beloved voice which did in fact happen to be pierce Brosnan. Haven't seen him in anything for ages so this was a most welcome surprise. He has such a good role too, looking forward to the rest of season 2 now!

Kritz

Banned
I think I got sick of that avatar faster than any other avatar I've made.

So I drew it again. NOW CONTAINING PLUG FOR WEBSITE. I should probably remove that.

/blog

Agyar

Clipper said:

This is almost Choc levels of alarmism. The Hut is not breaking any laws.

Even if they did have an "Australian branch of marketing" (which they don't), all the email communication comes from thehut.com, which is a domain registered in the UK and there are certainly no piece of Australian classification law allowing a "sanction" by which an entire group of overseas sites (including Zavvi, which is also down) can be taken offline.

The only person in this whole scenario breaking the law is an individual who imports the game itself.

d4533

Marshmellow said:
Im pretty Meh personally on Joan. I was actually watching a season 2 episode last night and heard a beloved voice which did in fact happen to be pierce Brosnan. Haven't seen him in anything for ages so this was a most welcome surprise. He has such a good role too, looking forward to the rest of season 2 now!
So I've just finished watching season 2 of mad men and can't think of which character Pierce Brosnan was playing. Are you sure it was him? The only character that would come close in my mind was played by the father from the nanny.

Also, big thanks to whoever it was that mentioned Archer in this thread. Been watching it over the last couple of days and it's fantastic. Highly recommended.

d4533 said:
So I've just finished watching season 2 of mad men and can't think of which character Pierce Brosnan was playing. Are you sure it was him? The only character that would come close in my mind was played by the father from the nanny.

Also, big thanks to whoever it was that mentioned Archer in this thread. Been watching it over the last couple of days and it's fantastic. Highly recommended.

Ahh feel like a complete idiot now. You are correct, yea the father from the nanny, who is also awesome.

For some reason had pierce brosnan's face stuck in my head. Im moving so slow on mad men, its such a good show.

jambo

OneMoreQuestion said:
Doesn't show up on Media Go. Unless you have a PSP with you and your PS3 is in Remote play mode...
Yes, I always leave my PS3 in remote play mode when I go to work for 9 hours =P

EDIT: Oh I thought it was the PS2 version on PS3, not the PSP one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom