• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, huzzah!

Finally finished a massive project at work (new website for our company) which went live today with zero issues. Which is great cos I don't know what the fuck I am doing.

Going to celebrate by eating Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, drinking some nice single malt, and starting a new playthrough of the Witcher in preparation for TW2.

feelsgoodman.jpg

Cohsae

legend166 said:
I think I'll wait on Portal 2. Not because I don't want to play it, but because there are other games in the back log to finish first.
I'm not waiting for the simple fact that it's one of the few games where having the story spoiled will actually annoy me. The longer after release I wait the more likely it is to happen.

Frawdder

Really not caring about Portal 2 at this point in time, which is strange considering I loved the first. I mean, I should be hyped for this game but for reasons unknown, I am not.

I'll probably pick it up during a sale at some point.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Ring up and abuse Microsoft customer support? "Dang red ring on ma Keynecked?"
I did. Logical in hindsight, but I was hoping to just get it replaced in-store a lot quicker. Instead, I have to wait for a Kinect coffin and a replacement :(

Oh well, at least I have four seasons of US Whose Line Is It Anyway? to tide me over!

Shaneus

What got me (back) into it was a thread about his new show called Improv-a-ganza, with pretty much all the old cast including Ryan, Colin, Greg and Wayne (amongst others).

Shaneus

The vibe of that thread (that's already four pages) is that other than the episode with Charlie Sheen (ugh) they're all gold. Except Drew Carey is obviously half the man he once was.

Shaneus said:
The vibe of that thread (that's already four pages) is that other than the episode with Charlie Sheen (ugh) they're all gold. Except Drew Carey is obviously half the man he once was.
It should be all about Colin and Ryan anyway. Wayne Brady came be great too but any sketch that is just Colin and Ryan is instant classic. Going to find the eps now, this is the kind of thing that should be on Go.

Shaneus

Good point... given that even Conan was picked up by an Australian station, I'd be surprised if it doesn't. I can almost remember staying up when I lived with my folks and watching it on my own, tiny little TV. Surprisingly, the comedy has still held up really well... it's only the clothes and hair that haven't.

Megadrive said:
Ate a double an hour and a bit ago. Currently shitting in agony. I remember why i hate kfc now.
You need to train your body for meals such as this. Can't just go from free-range wheatloaf to the man burger. Gotta work up to it with some Maccas or some deep fryed anything.
I hurt my self too, no more man burgers for me. I like I bottom too much for that.

Why is this thread in the Community Forum?

Oh... and what is the Community Forum anyway? Is it the place for online gaming meetups? Are threads restricted to the Community Forum? Ie; if something is in here, is it not visible in the main forum?

I didn't even know this place existed and the FAQ doesn't seem to cover it... Hope it's okay to ask.

ColonialRaptor said:

Oh... and what is the Community Forum anyway? Is it the place for online gaming meetups? Are threads restricted to the Community Forum? Ie; if something is in here, is it not visible in the main forum?

I didn't even know this place existed and the FAQ doesn't seem to cover it... Hope it's okay to ask.
Community is where good threads go to die.

Not really. It was set aside so the main area doesn't get bogged down by the megathreads constantly being on the first page. This way the main page should be new news so it keeps it moving better rather than you clicking onto the main page and not seeing anything you are interested in. Plus this is more of an off-topic thread anyway as it is focused on Australian gamers discussing Australian issues, instead of creating a topic and it not relating to 98% of the people who will look at it, having a separate thread makes it easier to get a good, effective response.

Threads posted in Community remain in Community unless a mod moves them. Most Community threads start in gaming and then shift into Community after a few weeks since it will be multiplayer focused (ie getting people together for matches). Just use the tabs to shift back and forth. Also checkout Off Topic. It is hilarious.

Dead Man

I always forget we are in Community. I see we are stickied, has that always been the case? Anyway, at least that puts us above the plebs that have to rely on activity to stay at the top!

Kirby102

ColonialRaptor said:

lol, if you only found this thread now, it's going to die in another 300 posts or so.

/gasp 20k posts incoming

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Who's your provider? That's pretty slow for cable, especially with the new DOCSIS 3 standard.
It was a rough (and pretty low, in hindsight) estimate. I'm on a 30mb/s link and can hit around 3.8megabytes/sec from usenet. I'm not used to the speed yet so when a download that size goes that speed I'm usually blown away :lol

Oh, and it's Neighbourhood Cable, and they say they're on DOCSIS 3 but I wouldn't know... I'm not up with cable standards.

Aon

Shaneus said:
I'm on a 30mb/s link .

I moved to one of those like 3 months ago and it still blows me away. Still. Portal 2 in an hour?

Fucking 2011 is where it's at. No more leaving a gigabyte torrent on for half a week.

reptilescorpio said:
Community is where good threads go to die.

Not really. It was set aside so the main area doesn't get bogged down by the megathreads constantly being on the first page. This way the main page should be new news so it keeps it moving better rather than you clicking onto the main page and not seeing anything you are interested in. Plus this is more of an off-topic thread anyway as it is focused on Australian gamers discussing Australian issues, instead of creating a topic and it not relating to 98% of the people who will look at it, having a separate thread makes it easier to get a good, effective response.

Threads posted in Community remain in Community unless a mod moves them. Most Community threads start in gaming and then shift into Community after a few weeks since it will be multiplayer focused (ie getting people together for matches). Just use the tabs to shift back and forth. Also checkout Off Topic. It is hilarious.

Thanks man, awesome explanation :)

I'm an Aussie. I'm from Mulgrave area in Melbourne. I have almost completed all of my street pass pictures :)

I'm hoping that I can eventually make some 'gamer' friends from this forum who are as into games as me (none of my current friends are) and I would like to be able to share my main interests with some other fellow passionate gamers :)

Shaneus

Aon said:
I moved to one of those like 3 months ago and it still blows me away. Still. Portal 2 in an hour?

Fucking 2011 is where it's at. No more leaving a gigabyte torrent on for half a week.
Ugh, tell me about it. I can now get a high-def episode of Conan multitudes quicker than I used to get a standard-def one on my old connection. The plan I'm on *is* pricey ($130/TB, uploads counted) but I never have to worry about hitting my peak or planning my downloads.

Imagine me going from a (max) 6mb/s link (usually hovered around 2-3, sometimes slower... thanks TPG) to this. I've gone from having the slowest connection at my work (in Melbourne, where ADSL2 is fucking everywhere) to the fastest.

^^ Welcome to the thread, Raptor! The number of Melbournites around here definitely seems to be increasing rapidly, not to mention that we're planning a meetup once the Mana Bar finally opens. Excellent timing!

Shaneus said:
Ugh, tell me about it. I can now get a high-def episode of Conan multitudes quicker than I used to get a standard-def one on my old connection. The plan I'm on *is* pricey ($130/TB, uploads counted) but I never have to worry about hitting my peak or planning my downloads.

What sort of speeds do you get?

I'm with Telstra and I can get up to 4MB/s downloads which is insanely awesome, but the 200GB I've got on that plan goes surprisingly fast.

Shaneus

I usually average around 3.6 megabytes/second, which is around 28.6 megabits (I'm dropping the abbreviations for this to avoid confusion).

OK, so it's not the fastest, but 1TB downloads represent. Though Optus does have a 100Mb plan. CBF paying the extra monthly fee.

I'm not far from Mulgrave, actually.

Danoss

Shaneus said:
I'm not used to the speed yet so when a download that size goes that speed I'm usually blown away :lol
But 150MB in 5 mins is only 500KB/s. I get that on ADSL2+ when I'm 3.5Km from the exchange with high attenuation.

codswallop said:
OK, so it's not the fastest, but 1TB downloads represent. Though Optus does have a 100Mb plan. CBF paying the extra monthly fee.

I'm not far from Mulgrave, actually.

Nice avatar!

I saw that picture and was going to make it into one of the avatars for the OT of Portal 2, glad I didn't now.

Aon said:

If you're in the position to get ADSL2+ then sure. However I am locked to 1 because my suburb shares its postcode with a neighbouring one, which had a pre-existing exchange that they upgraded for 2+. Fail. I still wait many days for shit to finish.

Also, saw suckerpunch with the missus, on her suggestion. Great movie, great stuff. We both loved it. There's very few lines of dialog when it comes to it, but the intro is one amazing piece of cinema imo. Also i love emily browning all over again.

Everyone talking about how great it is having superfast and readily available internet can shut up. shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup. I'm not listening lalalalalalalalalalalala.

ColonialRaptor
Banned

Welcome to the thread. I hope you enjoy your stay here... oh, never mind....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom