• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Planet_JASE said:
Everyone talking about how great it is having superfast and readily available internet can shut up. shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup. I'm not listening lalalalalalalalalalalala.

ColonialRaptor
Banned

Welcome to the thread. I hope you enjoy your stay here... oh, never mind....
And he was making such nice avatars in the Portal thread too. Wonder what got him.

Choc

Banned
Yesterday was Friday Friday and i really got down on friday

feeling it today

have you guys ever had skittle rockets? do we have those in Australia?

boy they fuck you up if you have too many

Jintor said:
It'll be out early by a day at the moment, time increases more people play the Potato games.

Poe... tay... tow... games... ?

I've got to say, Valve have an ability to make people get excited and almost exhibit a need to be lead around by the nose.

I say that in a good way.

What other company could say "Hey, this game is coming out. This is when we will release it. Uh oh, we put a timer up - what could this mean? Cryptic images, people. You like? Look look look, weird text. Excited? Timer's almost up. Do you think we're releasing the game? Nuh uh. Wanna play some potato related games? Well, you will when you find out that the more of you that do, we more chance you'll have of an early release... or more cryptic stuff! HEY LOOK! ANOTHER TIMER!!!"

Are the potato games any good?

Jintor

Planet_JASE said:
Poe... tay... tow... games... ?

I've got to say, Valve have an ability to make people get excited and almost exhibit a need to be lead around by the nose.

I say that in a good way.

What other company could say "Hey, this game is coming out. This is when we will release it. Uh oh, we put a timer up - what could this mean? Cryptic images, people. You like? Look look look, weird text. Excited? Timer's almost up. Do you think we're releasing the game? Nuh uh. Wanna play some potato related games? Well, you will when you find out that the more of you that do, we more chance you'll have of an early release... or more cryptic stuff! HEY LOOK! ANOTHER TIMER!!!"

Are the potato games any good?

Top tier: Audiosurf, Super Meat Boy, Amnesia. Everything else is just good as opposed to great/incredible.

Shaneus

In honour of the R* sale (and us actually being able to buy shit from it, despite already owning today's items) I think I'll try Bully as my next game in Operation Backlog. Sure, it's not small but it definitely looks like fun.

Jintor said:
Top tier: Audiosurf, Super Meat Boy, Amnesia. Everything else is just good as opposed to great/incredible.
It may be that I require far more sleep than I'm currently getting but I don't quite understand your reply. My most humble apologies for my lack of understanding :(

too many people were silly and really thought portal 2 was going to get released. did you think the "final test" was figuring out how to pay for it and download it. nu uh.

Planet_JASE said:
Everyone talking about how great it is having superfast and readily available internet can shut up. shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup. I'm not listening lalalalalalalalalalalala.

ColonialRaptor
Banned

Welcome to the thread. I hope you enjoy your stay here... oh, never mind....
There were a bunch of meltdowns in the Portal 2 threads about Valve not releasing it last night, instead they released the final test which is for people to play the potato sack games enough for Glados to reboot (reach a milestone and P2 will be unlocked). One guy said he would play the pirated PS3 version right now and PC master race stuff. Happens every ARG.

Jintor

Planet_JASE said:
It may be that I require far more sleep than I'm currently getting but I don't quite understand your reply. My most humble apologies for my lack of understanding :(

The Potato sack consists of 13 games: 123 Kick It, AaaAaA!, Amnesia, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Cogs, Defence Grid: The Awakening, Killing Floor, RUSH, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the World and Toki Tori. Those are the potato games.

Jintor said:
The Potato sack consists of 13 games: 123 Kick It, AaaAaA!, Amnesia, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Cogs, Defence Grid: The Awakening, Killing Floor, RUSH, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the World and Toki Tori. Those are the potato games.
Wow, that's quite the task they've set for people. Do they have to just play them for a while, or beat those games to accumulate potatoes?

It also seems weird that none of those games are from Valve. I wonder if they had to ask permission from each of the developers to be included in this test. They don't do things by half, do they?

Thanks for explaining it to me. Need sleep.

Jintor said:
Also you dont need to buy the pack, if you already own some of them you can participate.

Planet_JASE said:
Wow, that's quite the task they've set for people. Do they have to just play them for a while, or beat those games to accumulate potatoes?

It also seems weird that none of those games are from Valve. I wonder if they had to ask permission from each of the developers to be included in this test. They don't do things by half, do they?

Thanks for explaining it to me. Need sleep.
It means the games get a LOT of publicity and a lot of sales. Will also mean the games have a higher public profile after the sale as people will remember the ARG and the connection to the games.

One of ColonialRaptor's last posts in the Portal 2 ARG. Do Juniors get permabanned or could it just be to give them some time to cool down?

Clipper

Skipped reading the thread last night and just catching up. Pity about that ColonialRaptor guy, he seemed like he'd fit in. I take it he was probably a Junior too, so it's a perma? Such a pity.

However, I have to ask, has anybody noticed the greying out of names on banned people before? I could swear that's the first time I've seen it.

Also, good luck on getting Portal early, guys. I already have the PS3 version pre-ordered, but it's going to take a while to get to me using my planned shipping method.

reptilescorpio said:
Do Juniors get permabanned or could it just be to give them some time to cool down?
Juniors do, however he was a full member.

What a financial boon it's going to be for those games in the pack. Does anyone know why those game sin particular were picked? Any relationships with Valve or are they just rockin' games that Valve picked altruistically?

Frawdder

Shaneus said:
In honour of the R* sale (and us actually being able to buy shit from it, despite already owning today's items) I think I'll try Bully as my next game in Operation Backlog. Sure, it's not small but it definitely looks like fun.
Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't see it anywhere thus far this morning (although I haven't checked the Steam thread yet so I would've found out eventually).

Bully is mine.

Megadrive said:
Argh. I was supposed to go to iFest but I fucking slept in. It's probably not worth going now since I have to leave by 4:30. Fucking hell that's annoying.

http://ifest.com.au/?page_id=445 is the program. Worth it? I'd get there around 1, so look from 2pm til 4.
HalfBrick Postmortem would be awesome but if you are only going for 2 hours probably not worth the hassle since you need to leave early. I wonder if the ManaBar guy gave a date for when the Melb one will be open?

reptilescorpio said:
Twas the last post but it is always a bunch of posts that lead to a banning. Using homophobic words isn't the best way to keep posting privileges though.
Hmmm, that's harsh. There every chance that he was just trying to start a thrilling conversation about clarified butter used in cooking throughout India and accidentally misspelled the word.

In honour of this, would anyone here like to talk about the pros and cons of Ghee and whether or not it has relevance in our modern society?

Danoss

Shaneus said:
Cheers for the heads up, would've totally missed this otherwise.

I already own Bully, now both Max Payne's are in my possession.

reptilescorpio said:
HalfBrick Postmortem would be awesome but if you are only going for 2 hours probably not worth the hassle since you need to leave early. I wonder if the ManaBar guy gave a date for when the Melb one will be open?
Yeah, pretty much. So glad I didn't pay for a ticket and it was all free. Gonna have to give it a miss and make sure I hit the next function.

Dead Man

Wow, I was avoiding all things Portal, but it sounds like they have done their normal marketing brilliance, and got some other games on board for good measure.

reptilescorpio said:
So the Max Payne games are awesome. Who wants a gift of the bundle to partake in the awesomeness? It is for the greater good.
God damn it Steam, I am trying to SAVE money. Why do you do these things?! Now I have to buy 3 games in one day!!!!!

Jintor

Planet_JASE said:
Juniors do, however he was a full member.

What a financial boon it's going to be for those games in the pack. Does anyone know why those game sin particular were picked? Any relationships with Valve or are they just rockin' games that Valve picked altruistically?

I suspect they've been in negotiations for a while. A 'Potato Pack' was rumoured back in Christmas but never eventuated.

Aon

Also there was a lot of asset sharing between Valve and these devs so that the potatoe pack games could feature portal 2 themed content.

I know Team Meat, Frictional and the Audiosurf guy are close to Valve. Unaware of the rest of the devs though.

Aon said:
Also there was a lot of asset sharing between Valve and these devs so that the potatoe pack games could feature portal 2 themed content.

I know Team Meat, Frictional and the Audiosurf guy are close to Valve. Unaware of the rest of the devs though.
The Aaaaaaa guys have been in a bunch of Valve promotions, like the Treasure Hunt last year.

Aon

reptilescorpio said:
The Aaaaaaa guys have been in a bunch of Valve promotions, like the Treasure Hunt last year.

Yeah, I guess Dejoban would have to be pretty close to release 123 in an early state on Steam when so many games get rejected.

reptilescorpio said:
So the Max Payne games are awesome. Who wants a gift of the bundle to partake in the awesomeness? It is for the greater good.

What is max payne even like? I've heard so many people praise them but I have never played.

Megadrive said:
What is max payne even like? I've heard so many people praise them but I have never played.
same. dont know if i can be bothered getting them. steam already has too much of my money and i already have enough other games to play

Dead Man

Megadrive said:
Never played the second one, but the first is made of awesome, humour, and cynicism, hard boiled. I haven't played it in a while, but I recommend it.

kase23

For the most part the Max Payne series still hold up well by today's standards, I brought the collection during the last steam summer sale and the only thing that stopped me playing through them was the lack of proper widescreen support because my GPU at the time couldn't auto scale 4:3 properly, At first it was fun doing bullet time with a max who resembled Joe Pesci but the IQ whore in me got tired fast.
did anyone play it with this mod back in the day?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2soyKJHDY
it was the cats pajamas :D

kase23 said:
For the most part the Max Payne series still hold up well by today's standards, I brought the collection during the last steam summer sale and the only thing that stopped me playing through them was the lack of proper widescreen support because my GPU at the time couldn't auto scale 4:3 properly, At first it was fun doing bullet time with a max who resembled Joe Pesci but the IQ whore in me got tired fast.
did anyone play it with this mod back in the day?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2soyKJHDY
it was the cats pajamas :D
Knew it was going to be Kung Fu before I even clicked, it was easily the best MP1 mod. MP2 had Elements of Style and the unofficial Mona the Assassin expansion. Great times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom