• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Mar said:
Odd question.

Depends on the game. The Makaimura series (Ghosts 'n' Goblins etc) is one of my favourite platformer series of games and that has fixed height jumps.
It's for a platformer I'm programming and I wanted opinions as I haven't played too many (if any) platformers with fixed variables.

Since it's based around time trials and tight maneuvering I guess I should try to implement it.

Mar

Ydahs said:
It's for a platformer I'm programming and I wanted opinions as I haven't played too many (if any) platformers with fixed variables.

Since it's based around time trials and tight maneuvering I guess I should try to implement it.

If it's time trial based you may be better off with fixed height as there's less frustrations for the player dealing with button presses. It can be annoying when your time is stuffed because the game thought you held on to the button for too long and you jumped too high. Also, from a design perspective, you can create much tighter experiences dealing with a single jump height.

Mirror's Edge is fixed height, and that's the best time trial game I've played in many years.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
Anyone up for some SC2 tonight?

I think i said last night in steam chat that no one plays sc2 anymore, you're 2 months late to the party!

But we do watch the koreans play it live streaming form 7pm :lol

I'm sure there might be a few around who may be up for a game or two but the korean tournament is on tonight, so you might be on your own.

evlcookie said:
I think i said last night in steam chat that no one plays sc2 anymore, you're 2 months late to the party!

But we do watch the koreans play it live streaming form 7pm :lol

I'm sure there might be a few around who may be up for a game or two but the korean tournament is on tonight, so you might be on your own.

How long does each match normally take?

Ydahs

hspdf9.jpg

WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN?​

To keep it easy for me to keep track, please post your preference in the following format:
#<preference>​
I'll be updating it every week of the finals as teams get eliminated and people jumping ship to another team.

1zget8y.png

2 Minutes Turkish​
Dead Man​
Syth_Blade22​
jambo​
fisheyes​
viciouskillersquirrel​

6/21

oqfyi1.png

Ydahs​
Scullibundo​
Pachael​
guidop​
ShyGuy​
speedpop​
Grug​
tri_willy​
Shaneus​
TheFury​
jey_16​
AnkhWeasel​
Chov​
Megadrive​
legend166​

15/21

... from the AFL thread in the OT. Anyone not on the list taking a side? Post your team and I'll add you.

Ydahs

Mar said:
If it's time trial based you may be better off with fixed height as there's less frustrations for the player dealing with button presses. It can be annoying when your time is stuffed because the game thought you held on to the button for too long and you jumped too high. Also, from a design perspective, you can create much tighter experiences dealing with a single jump height.

Mirror's Edge is fixed height, and that's the best time trial game I've played in many years.
I'll probably first try it without variable jumping and see how it goes. It's not too bad as it is and it is meant to be a simple game (that is already getting a bit too ambitious).

Hoping to show AusGAF a pre-alpha (is there such a thing?) version of it before next Sunday :D

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
So Recruitment-AUS-GAF I need some help.

The company I work for are looking for a new development guy to help build and maintain databases among other things - we have tried advertising on seek and got a pretty weak response - do any of you know of any techy sites where we could post an advert??

Thanks

pilonv1

Hey F1 2010 seems to have unlocked on Steam. No sign of the demo though.

edit: I see there is no demo. Good jon Codemasters

legend166

St Kilda.

If someone actually watches other people playing Starcraft instead of playing with me, you're a horrible, horrible person.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had a ten-loss streak and basically never booted it up again. Plus, the singleplayer story was so disappointingly poorly written, it kind of made me bitter toward the whole experience.

I guess I could play way later tonight, but I'm so rusty at this point.

Pikelet

I had a ten-loss streak and basically never booted it up again. Plus, the singleplayer story was so disappointingly poorly written, it kind of made me bitter toward the whole experience.

I guess I could play way later tonight, but I'm so rusty at this point.

Tell me about it. I had a ten loss streak and got knocked down to gold from platinum, now i am slowly working my way back up. Constantly losing is devastating in that game.

Also agree about the campaign. The story was lowest common denominator shit, though i think the missions themselves were quite fun.

Frawdder

pilonv1 said:
Hey F1 2010 seems to have unlocked on Steam. No sign of the demo though.

edit: I see there is no demo. Good jon Codemasters
No demo, but apparently no fault of Codemasters. Another F1/FOM/FIA/whoever bonehead decision. I believe F1/FOM wanted to charge money for a demo if CM was going to put one out.

MrSerrels

Dudes – any of you guys play Halo: Reach regularly? Would be good to play with Aussie dudes and get some decent lag free games in.

Gamertag: DriestBobcat

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Restart machine to try fix games for windows / F1 error.

Machine BSODs, YAY!

Trying to figure out wtf is going on but i'm a bit stumped. Some stupid error i've never seen before and most of the solutions are fuzzy at best. Might just have to reinstall a backup image and see how that goes.

pilonv1

Frawdder said:
No demo, but apparently no fault of Codemasters. Another F1/FOM/FIA/whoever bonehead decision. I believe F1/FOM wanted to charge money for a demo if CM was going to put one out.

Amazingly stupid.

Ydahs

I'm still shaken up. What an amazing game but what a terrible outcome. Clipper, mate, you should have put money on the draw but YOU JINXED IT! :lol :lol

:(

Choc

Banned
i happen to agree with coming back 7days later, lots more sports should look at it. its a logistical nightmare but its the fairest outcome

you can't be split within the parameters of the sport on the day, go again.

It would have been incredibly cruel on whoever lost today in extra time.

We all feel empty when the fifa world cup ends with a shootout.

it's also in AFL incredibly rare. So the over-reactions from Collingwood right now is just ridiculous.

They know they are now favored to lose based on history and I for one hope that St Kilda gets up

Ydahs

I dunno, having two extra five minute halves would have been intense and thrilling football. The contest was already epic, could have been more.

But I'm not one to judge, as I'm a Saints fan and just wanted a result... but I just think that we could have seen something a lot more exciting in those ten minutes then what we might next week, especially if it's one-sided. Now if it's a draw next week, there will be two extra five minutes halves. Now THAT would be epic :D

Choc

Banned
Ydahs said:
I dunno, having two extra five minute halves would have been intense and thrilling football. The contest was already epic, could have been more.

But I'm not one to judge, as I'm a Saints fan and just wanted a result... but I just think that we could have seen something a lot more exciting in those ten minutes then what we might next week, especially if it's one-sided. Now if it's a draw next week, there will be two extra five minutes halves. Now THAT would be epic :D

and if its still a draw?

we come back again apparently

lol

Ydahs

Choc said:
and if its still a draw?

we come back again apparently

lol
Shit, I wouldn't have to worry about that. I would be dead from the agony :lol

Neutrals must be loving the outcome though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's not fair on the players. overtime should be required in such a situation.

Bernbaum

Went to see West Ham play Tottenham with some colleagues from Trinidad and the US whilst in London. Premier League football stadium experience can't be beat.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
Went to see West Ham play Tottenham with some colleagues from Trinidad and the US whilst in London. Premier League football stadium experience can't be beat.
:-o

Bastard.

I have followed West Ham for 20+ years and still haven't managed to drag myself to the UK. :(

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:

It will take quite some game to top the atmosphere i had at Arsenal vs AC Milan in London earlier this year, i know what you mean.

Ydahs

For those who care, I started game programming not too long ago and I began creating a game on Monday. I had this little idea of creating a platformer where players create levels and share them. The gameplay is time trial based, so you basically need to finish the level as quick as possible.

I'm planning on releasing a pre-alpha version only to AusGAF by the end of next week (depending on how much further I get that is) and am hoping some of you can try it out and give me advice on what to improve with the platforming :D

What I've done so far:
- Basic platforming engine (fixed jump height, fast-paced)
- Obstacles (only spikes which send you to last checkpoint but no enemies yet)
- Working online leaderboards (though no names yet)
- Map browser
- Time-trial ghosts (like in Mario Kart)
- Ability to create a level in Paint, save it as png and play it after converting it with a little script I created

Any level you create and complete automatically creates an online leaderboard no matter what the map is actually called, but any change to that map will generate a new leaderboard.

The struggle right now is the platforming, mainly the jumping. I like it and so did one of my brothers, but the other called it generic noob platformer 101 :lol
:(

Look out for it in a week AusGAF!

Ydahs

Megadrive said:
What are you using to create it? SDL & C++?
A Python module called Pygame, which I think is built around the SDL library. I'm so familiar with Python and many of its functionality that even if I knew C++ I would have probably still used PyGame.

hirokazu said:
Sounds cool. Bonus points if it's not Windows-only. ;)
Never thought of that. I won't be making any promises, but I'll try. Which OS? Linux? Mac?

A note, don't expect to be blown away or anything. Keep your expectations low and you should be mildly entertained :lol

Ydahs said:
A Python module called Pygame, which I think is built around the SDL library. I'm so familiar with Python and many of its functionality that even if I knew C++ I would have probably still used PyGame.

Never thought of that. I won't be making any promises, but I'll try. Which OS? Linux? Mac?

A note, don't expect to be blown away or anything. Keep your expectations low and you should be mildly entertained :lol

Yeah, pygame is a wrapper around SDL, but adds some more functionality. I tried using Python but hated the syntax so I gave up on it. Since Pygame is a wrapper around SDL, your game is already portable.

Choc said:
i happen to agree with coming back 7days later, lots more sports should look at it. its a logistical nightmare but its the fairest outcome

you can't be split within the parameters of the sport on the day, go again.

It would have been incredibly cruel on whoever lost today in extra time.

We all feel empty when the fifa world cup ends with a shootout.

it's also in AFL incredibly rare. So the over-reactions from Collingwood right now is just ridiculous.

They know they are now favored to lose based on history and I for one hope that St Kilda gets up

What happens to fans who happened to travel to the game from interstate? They get completely fucked over by this.

Not to mention people who can't afford to go again, or people who basically have to camp out to get tickets.

It's also not fair on the players and i am sure they would say the same.

Also no other sport is going to do this. You say they should consider it. I say they have considered it and come to the conclusion that its stupid.

Choc

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
What happens to fans who happened to travel to the game from interstate? They get completely fucked over by this.

Not to mention people who can't afford to go again, or people who basically have to camp out to get tickets.

It's also not fair on the players and i am sure they would say the same.

Also no other sport is going to do this. You say they should consider it. I say they have considered it and come to the conclusion that its stupid.

It's not stupid, its the fairest way to settle it. I completely agree that its a joke the AFL are charging again (considering the already exorbitant prices).

It's something that is unique to the AFL. Victories in Extra Time/Shootouts never are seen as the same as Victories in normal time, because one team always is exhausted....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't the fairest way to settle it because you're essentially playing the game over from scratch. The sweat and hard-work leading up to that day is what should be judged. If a fifth quarter is required, so be it, it builds off of the team's fatigue and everything they'd worked toward on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom