• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
Any suggestions for what to do with my old PC? It's functional, apart from the power supply making retarded fan noises but it's quite out of date for gaming (some AMD dual core, 4gb of DDR2, ATi x1950pro). I don't really want to just throw it away but I have no need for it now.
I'm in a similar sitch... someone suggested to me to dump it at my local PCs For Schools thing. I'm sure there'd be one around your area too.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Mark nice article on second hand games it is a shame you did not explore why gamers do it and the sometimes over looked benefits by publishers such as jimmy can get xxxx day one due to store credit from trades so there is a sale

The other point to raise is what the fuck makes video games as a medium so different

You can resell books music and movies easily so why the fuck are games so special this is what game devs do not get

Also the fact that publishers continuosly forget that when you fucking pay for something you have the right to sell it

You own the licence (not software as a whole) and therefore u should be able to resell it

Video games think they are special and they are fucking not

I made a lot of these points in a couple of Opinion pieces I wrote for T3 magazine.

In fact that was the question that I asked myself initially about the pre-owned debate - you don't hear Ford complaining everytime someone buys a second hand car!

One of the main points I wanted to touch on, but didn't want the article to be too long, was the fact that pre-owned games often contribute to the sales of new games. Usually people trade in order to buy new games.

It's a complicated issue though - the problem publishers have is the mark up, not necessarily the fact that their games are being sold second hand.

I'm thinking about doing a follow up feature actually - the story got a much better response than I expected.

giri

MrSerrels said:
I made a lot of these points in a couple of Opinion pieces I wrote for T3 magazine.

In fact that was the question that I asked myself initially about the pre-owned debate - you don't hear Ford complaining everytime someone buys a second hand car!

One of the main points I wanted to touch on, but didn't want the article to be too long, was the fact that pre-owned games often contribute to the sales of new games. Usually people trade in order to buy new games.

It's a complicated issue though - the problem publishers have is the mark up, not necessarily the fact that their games are being sold second hand.

I'm thinking about doing a follow up feature actually - the story got a much better response than I expected.

Yeah, but video games and software in general, aren't cars. Thats one huge difference, it's a horrible comparison. Particularly with such differently large sums of money involved.

And while they might result in a sale for the new software, it takes away another sale on existing software. It's not the same profit margin (i'm sure they make more on a new release @110 vs old release @ 90) it's still one sale less.

And to some degree, it's not even necessarily about the big guys, or the big games that are going to make millions anyway. It's about the smaller guys, or the quirkier game that if the sales aren't there, won't get a sequel despite the fact you might've loved it.

MrSerrels

giri said:
Yeah, but video games and software in general, aren't cars. Thats one huge difference, it's a horrible comparison. Particularly with such differently large sums of money involved.

And while they might result in a sale for the new software, it takes away another sale on existing software. It's not the same profit margin (i'm sure they make more on a new release @110 vs old release @ 90) it's still one sale less.

And to some degree, it's not even necessarily about the big guys, or the big games that are going to make millions anyway. It's about the smaller guys, or the quirkier game that if the sales aren't there, won't get a sequel despite the fact you might've loved it.

Yeah I know, I didn't want to pimp the story on gaf, but it's here if you want to read it.

It's a big issue, but there's hyperbole on both sides. To me it's indicative of a couple of things: niche retail is struggling, and publishers are struggling with dev costs. When people start losing money, they get angry and say stupid stuff.

Fredescu

Car manufacturers can still potentially make money out of a second hand car through parts and servicing. Which is kinda like an online pass. I fully support online passes for what it's worth.

Mar

MrSerrels said:
Yeah I know, I didn't want to pimp the story on gaf, but it's here if you want to read it.

It's a big issue, but there's hyperbole on both sides. To me it's indicative of a couple of things: niche retail is struggling, and publishers are struggling with dev costs. When people start losing money, they get angry and say stupid stuff.

I think the only problem with this whole thing is the prices that game stores charge for used games. $5 under the new retail price is hilarious. How they get away with it I'll never know. I guess people buy them... Scratched discs, torn covers and all.

markot

Banned
Fredescu said:
Car manufacturers can still potentially make money out of a second hand car through parts and servicing. Which is kinda like an online pass. I fully support online passes for what it's worth.
Not really, arent most parts are not made by the companies directly, dont they buy them from smaller ones that just make specific parts >.<?

Also, given the value of cars, or the devalue of them as soon as they are purchased, I dont think manufacturers worry too much about long run profits from them.

MrSerrels

Mar said:
I think the only problem with this whole thing is the prices that game stores charge for used games. $5 under the new retail price is hilarious. How they get away with it I'll never know. I guess people buy them... Scratched discs, torn covers and all.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think I'm the only one that's gone into EB and saw a used game going for more than a new game. In the exact same store.

markot

Banned
Mar said:
Thisssssssssssssssss... its crazy.

Fredescu

markot said:
Not really, arent most parts are not made by the companies directly, dont they buy them from smaller ones that just make specific parts >.<?
They rebadge them as "genuine parts" with a mark up and run campaigns that you should "always buy genuine parts!"

markot said:
Also, given the value of cars, or the devalue of them as soon as they are purchased
People always bring up the "lose $XX as soon as you drive it off the lot" without realising exactly what that money is and that you can usually get that heavily discounted. Yes, if you pay full RRP and full dealer delivery charges, you lose money as soon as you drive it off the lot. That's because no one else who bought new paid as much as you did! I've never bought a new car, but it's not the trap that a lot of people make it out to be.

markot said:
I dont think manufacturers worry too much about long run profits from them.
They're kinda legally obligated to support them for a number of years, so hey, might as well make money off it.

Agyar

Shaneus said:
What's it selling for?

Check Ecogamer. I'm sure those clowns are already out in force going from EB to EB fleecing as much trade-in credit as they can get their cheetos-encrusted fists on.

Nemesis_

Mar said:

I know if I trade in a preowned game, I always scratch the disc to hell and tear the covers before trading it! U_U

I am playing through The Forgotten Sands right now, though for some reaon I am not enjoying it as much. This is all Bernbaum's fault. >=( It's probably the biggest test of classical conditioning that I've ever had to encounter.

WHO ISN'T TEMPTED TO PRESS A TO JUMP BETWEEN LEDGES!? Stupid design decisions.

I suppose it's decent. But it's not as good as PoP2008 as people call it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BanShunsaku said:
$89 DS games?

I guess she shops at EB

I like how she just vacuums them up, yup whatever just vacuum whatever is on the floor.

Bernbaum

What kind of retarded parent raises children that lose their precious video games?

Stupid cunt should have a hysterectomy so she doesn't further dilute the gene pool.

If I ever lost/broke my toys when I was a little'un, there was no way my parents would replace them. I'd have to save up my pocket money. And I got like 50 cents a week or something ridiculous like that.

Kids these days don't know how good they got it, dagnammit! *waves walking cane*

VOOK said:
I like how she just vacuums them up, yup whatever just vacuum whatever is on the floor.
If they fell under the couch, it's easy to do.

But yeah, when I was a kid, a game was more precious to me than gold. I ALWAYS knew where my games were... even when the neighbours stole them >:-(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
viciouskillersquirrel said:
If they fell under the couch, it's easy to do.

But yeah, when I was a kid, a game was more precious to me than gold. I ALWAYS knew where my games were... even when the neighbours stole them >:-(

The guy who used to live next door to me still has my super mario world snes cart with my perfect completion. I swear the number was in blue! But this is going back 15 years i guess? Eh i don't really remember the exact date.

rass

I took care of my games because we couldn't afford more. I got 1 new game every christmas and if I wanted more I saved my pocket money ($5 a week). I could never understand when I was at friends' places who were better off financially and they had games strewn on the floor with no boxes, instructions torn and crumpled :(

and I still have Yoshi's Island that I borrowed off a mate in high school so I suppose I am a jerk.

Nemesis_

Continuing this tradition and making my front car seat famous yet again......

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/09/street-date-smash-dead-space-sees-early-extraction/

I present to you, AusGAF:

9iusxv.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Clipper said:
99.78c people! It's going to happen soon...

Edit: And I'm about to go to sleep, so I'm probably going to miss it :(

It has been near that for days, it'll never happen today.

Clipper

OK, 99.9 is enough for me to call it (plus because it's 1am here in Anaheim, I've been on a train for 10 of the last 12 hours, and I need to sleep), so here's some silly celebration images:

washroo.jpg

bills.png

And one anti-celebratory image to commemorate our thread's title finally being fully true (well, except for tax).

ratings.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom