• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

I read in the paper today that I was an animator!

That's weird, because a month ago the same paper did a story on me and called me an Art Director.

Also, I found out today that Fruit Ninja wasn't a game, it was an animation.

lol
:(

Gazunta said:

That's weird, because a month ago the same paper did a story on me and called me an Art Director.

lol
Journalists above the age of thirty have no clue about technology or how tech industry companies are structured. I read reports about new tech in the Courier Mail, the Australian and the Financial Review and I facepalm every time. I read about projects I have actually worked on and I facepalm every time.

Basically, if it's written by a journalist over 30 and it's not sports, politics or a story they've done research on for months at a time, it'll be full of errors and misunderstandings.

Agyar

Gazunta said:

lol

Should have had a different job title, then you'd still be employed.

In other news, I want to play Diablo 3.
Bring on 2014 or when ever.

Has anyone considered getting either the new expansion pack for Divinity II, or the remastered original version + expansion pack as Dragon Knight Saga?

I already have the base game but dropped the money on a preorder for DKS.

Agyar

It should probably be pointed out that the newspaper in question, if you can even call it that, is the Courier Mail. For non-Queenslanders, it's a News Limited publication that provides "news" for Today Tonight fans in possession of basic literacy.

Agyar said:
It should probably be pointed out that the newspaper in question, if you can even call it that, is the Courier Mail. For non-Queenslanders, it's a News Limited publication that provides "news" for Today Tonight fans in possession of basic literacy.
I've heard that, but other than some blatant editorialising in the Sunday Mail, I haven't seen too much of an issue with it, other than it being lighter on content than (say) The Australian.

Then again, I hardly read newspapers these days and when I do, it's mostly the first few paragraphs, so I guess I miss a lot of the "meat".

News.com.au, however, is a bit of a joke in terms of the sorts of things that make the "Top Story". It's a shame that the ABC news website isn't as easy to navigate, because the News.com.au interface (minus the celebrity gossip and fluff columns) with ABC News content would be fantastic.

markot

Banned
Oh, almost forgot >.<

Free Autodesk/CAD/Maya/3ds Software License for 3 Years for Student. Mac + Pc
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/32719

Hope it still works. Basically if you have an .edu email address you can get access to this stuff, you can teach yourself alot about animation, rendering modeling and all that crap just by tinkering about, watching vids and reading yourself >.>! So if you are interested in getting into that side of the industry, you can mess about with it and see if its your cup o tea.

Are degrees that important for the games industry? I guess that showing stuff that you have made, levels, short games, animations... etc... portfolio stuff would be much more important >.>?

MrSerrels said:
I don't normally pimp stuff on here, but Michael Ephraim answered Kotaku readers questions, and I think it's well worth a read.

He's probably the first top guy from any publisher I've seen directly answer the 'why the hell are games so expensive in Australia' question.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/10/michael-ephraim-answers-your-questions/
It's a good answer and accurate in every way. He did forget to mention though that thanks to historical factors, the average Australian consumer is used to paying more for games. Same deal with cars. Compared to places like the US, the margins on cars here are HUGE and not likely to come down either.

I don't know if the retail price of new games has ever been below about AUD$70. What was it like during the PS1 era?

Agyar

markot said:
Oh, almost forgot >.<

Free Autodesk/CAD/Maya/3ds Software License for 3 Years for Student. Mac + Pc
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/32719

Hope it still works. Basically if you have an .edu email address you can get access to this stuff, you can teach yourself alot about animation, rendering modeling and all that crap just by tinkering about, watching vids and reading yourself >.>! So if you are interested in getting into that side of the industry, you can mess about with it and see if its your cup o tea.

Haven't you heard, the industry is shedding animators.

That reminds me, I once met a guy on the train who was messing around with Avatar: Legend of Aang for the GBA on his laptop using some sort of development program / emulator. I had a chat to him and he told me stories about working for Magic Box (I think).

He was working 12 or 14 hour days at that point. Lost whatever lingering interest I may have had in working on games that night.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
While the answer is economics, the real answer is 'We don't care really, you'll keep buying them".

teekun

viciouskillersquirrel said:
But doing that you'll most likely have to take a massive paycut when you do break in (because your experience won't be directly applicable, you'll have to start lower on the ladder), making it harder to justify the longer you go without being in the industry. Also, gaming is one of those "glamour" industries with a lot of competition, so it drives wages down.

The thing with the game industry is that nobody's professional experience is directly applicable before they join the industry. You don't just break into a game related job straight out of university. Most people work their asses off in their own free time, doing work that they can use to prove their talents.

That's much like saying someone entering the graphic design field would be paid less because they spent 3 years working in a coffee shop while building their portfolio and trying to break into the industry.

You're right about wages though. Game developers are some of the hardest working and lowest paid people in IT. Screw that.

MrSerrels

VOOK said:
While the answer is economics, the real answer is 'We don't care really, you'll keep buying them".

Yeah, but I heard something interesting the other day: Australian publishers aren't exactly at the top of the list when it comes to percentage profit.

There are reasons why games cost more in Australia over and above the rort, if publishers were a bit more open about it, consumers might be a bit more forgiving.

giri

MrSerrels said:
I don't normally pimp stuff on here, but Michael Ephraim answered Kotaku readers questions, and I think it's well worth a read.

He's probably the first top guy from any publisher I've seen directly answer the 'why the hell are games so expensive in Australia' question.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/10/michael-ephraim-answers-your-questions/

Directly answer? he answered very few questions asked, instead choosing to answer questions that were close to those asked.

The game pricing question he answered was "what costs are involved in distributing games", not "why are games in au 2x the price in the US". The reasons he gave are the same in every country.

MrSerrels

giri said:
Directly answer? he answered very few questions asked, instead choosing to answer questions that were close to those asked.

The game pricing question he answered was "what costs are involved in distributing games", not "why are games in au 2x the price in the US". The reasons he gave are the same in every country.

One of our commenters put it well: not much meat, a lot of salad.

Still I was impressed that he even answered that question, considering the blanket code of silence everyone else seems to share.

MrSerrels said:
Yeah, but I heard something interesting the other day: Australian publishers aren't exactly at the top of the list when it comes to percentage profit.

There are reasons why games cost more in Australia over and above the rort, if publishers were a bit more open about it, consumers might be a bit more forgiving.
Compared to where, though? Cost structures are going to be different everywhere.

Rahk

Hay guys. Look what I spent all my money on.

HzfPh.jpg

legend166

viciouskillersquirrel said:
But doing that you'll most likely have to take a massive paycut when you do break in (because your experience won't be directly applicable, you'll have to start lower on the ladder), making it harder to justify the longer you go without being in the industry. Also, gaming is one of those "glamour" industries with a lot of competition, so it drives wages down.

EDIT: I'm assuming you spent time supporting SAP or Oracle or something for a few years then tried to jump into game development.

I'm 22, have an IT degree and have no interest in getting in the game industry. It was just a recommendation based on how I see the industry and what I've read.

Rez is 18. I just finished a Uni degree last year, and there's really a ton of free time. He could spend 3 years getting a degree that will get him a job as well as building his skills/portfolio. And like I said, most unis would offer game-related subjects in a general IT degree anyway.

That answer from the Sony guy on why games cost so much here was ridiculous. Just threw out a bunch of words.

Also, I can't believe other people have RB3 but I don't. Damn having to work all day ._.

rass

I know I already said it in the other thread but
gratz man! Sexy looking bike.
my new bike is… less shiny. Adventure to Kinglake on Sunday arvo, complete with work colleague in the background.
de7eky.jpg

markot said:

I go here! It's awesome. I have gained skills in not just games related programming though. Learning C++ and C# are very handy regardless, if you want to program. Having a course step you through is very nice and I know C++ much better for it (we just started C# like last week so yeah). I started midyear and we've made, so far, a Pong clone, Wii Tanks (nowhere near as polished, obviously) and are currently developing a character editor with XML in C#. We have had two weeks per assignment so far, due to the accelerated course. Supposedly we have 1-2 weeks for the next two with two days of no projects in each until we start our group project, which is (as far as I know), a 2D XNA game, pretty sure it has to be at least a polished demo.

I'm having a ball so far and I'm learning heaps. Definitely give it a look if you want to program for games.

Darklord

Banned
Gazunta said:

lol

News papers are shocking for anything gaming related. I remember once they had one of those "Best things to buy for Christmas". The PS3 was listed as one yet it wasn't even going to be out by then.:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm currently enrolled in a Music degree at Melb Uni, so I have that to fall back on. As of right now I'm really just investigating as many other options as possible. I enjoy this course but I feel like my time could be better spent.

Megadrive said:
I go here! It's awesome. I have gained skills in not just games related programming though. Learning C++ and C# are very handy regardless, if you want to program. Having a course step you through is very nice and I know C++ much better for it (we just started C# like last week so yeah). I started midyear and we've made, so far, a Pong clone, Wii Tanks (nowhere near as polished, obviously) and are currently developing a character editor with XML in C#. We have had two weeks per assignment so far, due to the accelerated course. Supposedly we have 1-2 weeks for the next two with two days of no projects in each until we start our group project, which is (as far as I know), a 2D XNA game, pretty sure it has to be at least a polished demo.

I'm having a ball so far and I'm learning heaps. Definitely give it a look if you want to program for games.
Which campus and which course? I might PM you some questions later if you don't mind. I'm trying to source out as much info on a few different places at once, at the moment.

Shaneus

It's strange... all I can think of when I play/see a Halfbrick title, I think of early Apogee games. Barry in that trailer reminds me heavily of Duke Nukem/Secret Agent/Crystal Caves.

If your goal was to remind me of my own personal "golden age" of gaming... bravo, HB. You've done it.

Crystal_Caves.png

Dukenukem1.png

(On another note, anyone else be interested in a remake/revamp of the Arctic Adventure/Pharaoh's Tomb series? Nevada Smith was all sorts of kickarse.)

Rlan

The actual artist for the original Age of Zombies is, like, 19-20 years old. I don't think he's ever played any of those classics.

I however, have the Apogee sound as my ringtone. Monster Bash! Bio Menace!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Age of zombies just looks like that minigore game that came out a long time ago for the iPhone. But updated of course.

Also we have learnt in steam chat that i've spent 15% of my life over the past 5 years playing WoW. 6600 hours out of around 44000. Excellent.

But when i was playing it, it was around 30% of my time. *thumbs up*

Fix The Scientist said:
Did anybody just see a hippie throw his shoes at John Howard on Q&A? Howard handled it like a badass, laughing as the hippie was taken away by security.
Yeah that dude was a jackass. Say what you will about Howard but I don't think he deserves to be treated like that.

I thought Craig Reucassel's tweet was very apt.

" I feel like I've got in a time machine. Howard hasn't changed his mind about anything. "

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:
The actual artist for the original Age of Zombies is, like, 19-20 years old. I don't think he's ever played any of those classics.

I however, have the Apogee sound as my ringtone. Monster Bash! Bio Menace!

Bio Menace fuck yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom