• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

Mar said:
They've been very negative on it, Castlevania or non. Which is fine, I don't expect them to like it (they shat all over Mirror's Edge too), but I listen to these guys a lot and sometimes I need to remind myself that their opinions are in stark contrast to my own.

Also, it 'not being Castlevania' is neither here nor there in my opinion. In fact, I'd say LoS is more Castlevania than any of the metroidvania titles. There's no doubt it's more fantasy rather than classic horror from what I've played so far (goblins and werewolves instead of zombies and vampires), but the series needed a really big kick in the pants anyway so I don't see it as a problem. To me, classic Castlevania is a fantasy horror game dripping with atmosphere and brooding emotions. Castlevania LoS has that in spades. It's completely ripped out the cartoony almost comedic style of the Iga anime titles and firmly, almost shockingly, pulled it back into the mature serious themes. I'm only past the first 2 chapters and already there's been a major development amongst the characters that I found kind of confronting.

Also, I never expected full frontal nudity in my Castlevania.
I went back and had a re-listen of the segment and yeah, they were pretty negative. I guess it just comes down to what your perception of a Castlevania game is. I havn't played the game, but I do agree with the gb guys saying Castlevania is defined by that medtroidvania gameplay style, so the fact that LoS has none of this makes me a little hesitant to buy it.

teekun

jambo said:
teekun we should totally hit up some MP, I got RB3 on Monday!

I probably won't dig into it until after the weekend, but go ahead and add me to your PSN friends list. Names same as here. I've got fuck-all for DLC though. Just a few packs here and there, and the RB1+2 exports.

Mar

commanderdeek said:
I went back and had a re-listen of the segment and yeah, they were pretty negative. I guess it just comes down to what your perception of a Castlevania game is. I havn't played the game, but I do agree with the gb guys saying Castlevania is defined by that medtroidvania gameplay style

That statement makes me sad, because it never used to be the case. To me, real Castlevania is linear stages and a heavy atmosphere. While LoS isn't completely linear (it's actually easy to get lost, as the levels have multiple paths that intertwine), it's certainly more classic Castlevania than metroidvania. Something I'm very happy to see.

Agyar

commanderdeek said:
I went back and had a re-listen of the segment and yeah, they were pretty negative. I guess it just comes down to what your perception of a Castlevania game is. I havn't played the game, but I do agree with the gb guys saying Castlevania is defined by that medtroidvania gameplay style, so the fact that LoS has none of this makes me a little hesitant to buy it.

I listened to that pod yesterday and they were pretty down on Castlevania. Both Brad and Alex seemed to suggest that other than the graphics, the game didn't do much to redeem itself. I've only played the demo and from that portion I can understand some of the things they're saying. The combat and QTE interactions are pretty derivative and the camera does some annoying zooming at times but I can't really comment on the narrative or characters, other than the voice acting sounding pretty solid.

Deeku

Mar said:
That statement makes me sad, because it never used to be the case. To me, real Castlevania is linear stages and a heavy atmosphere. While LoS isn't completely linear (it's actually easy to get lost, as the levels have multiple paths that intertwine), it's certainly more classic Castlevania than metroidvania. Something I'm very happy to see.
Well, it's just what the series has evolved to be. Classic Castlevania is still good though. I'm still holding out for a 2d console Castlevania.

giri

Agyar said:
What do they mean they can't have you as a customer as you're with Optus? Are they referencing the cable plan you're on now, as you can't "churn" from cable to ADSL2. You should just call again and ignore your existing plan, give them your phone number and see if they can start the process to enable ADSL2+ on your line. Then if they can, cancel your Optus plan.

Your options (with iiNet) are either to bundle a home phone line and ADSL2+ connection, or get naked DSL. In order for normal ADSL to work, it needs an active phone line (aka a phone line with dial tone). Naked DSL works around this, so it costs slightly more than the equivelant ADSL plan but you save money as you pay no line rental fee. You can then add a VOIP phone plan to get your home phone.

By the time ou add voip, it's not that much cheaper. And iinet still gives you more data on their normal plans.

I'm on the 200/200 +home phone plan, it's 99/mo but it's pretty decent value. (i'm also right near the exchange so get great speeds).

Dammit... Why is ADSL so shit in my area. I'm about 4.5km from the exchange so going from Optus Cable to that would be a kick in the balls. Crappy suburb.

Oh wow this is where ausgaf has been hiding, dont head into the online forum enough lol.
anyway term 2 results
HD
HD
D
C

better than I was expecting

pieatorium said:
Oh wow this is where ausgaf has been hiding, dont head into the online forum enough lol.
anyway term 2 results
HD
HD
D
C

High Definition
High Definition
Definition
Creature?

Good results. Well done!

Agyar

giri said:
By the time ou add voip, it's not that much cheaper. And iinet still gives you more data on their normal plans.

I'm on the 200/200 +home phone plan, it's 99/mo but it's pretty decent value. (i'm also right near the exchange so get great speeds).

I'm still on the 50/50 plan before they added metered uploads. I really wish the Toolbox tracked uploads even on plans that don't meter them so I could get an idea of whether it's worth it to switch to one of the new plans. That said current usage is more than adequate so we're not in a hurry to switch (paying 79 including phone line). Syncs at about 12000/1023.

Rahk

giri said:

Voip is free with naked dsl on iinet.

giri

pieatorium said:
anyway term 2 results
HD
HD
D
C

Probably because you couldn't find aus-gaf to procastinate in.

Agyar said:
I'm still on the 50/50 plan before they added metered uploads. I really wish the Toolbox tracked uploads even on plans that don't meter them so I could get an idea of whether it's worth it to switch to one of the new plans. That said current usage is more than adequate so we're not in a hurry to switch (paying 79 including phone line). Syncs at about 12000/1023.

Yeah, i'm not locked into a plan (i paid the $79 install fee, i hate being on contracts), and i'm not using nearly as much d/l as i thought i would. I may downgrade soon. But it's the uploads i worry about as mucha s anything, because i regularly just leave my BT client it open, and just go to work..........

giri said:
i regularly just leave my BT client it open, and just go to work..........
If you're using uTorrent, check out its webUI. You can start and stop stuff from any web browser. There's also an Android app -- Transdroid -- that does the same, but you need the webUI. Transdroid does work with other BT apps. There may be a similar to Transdroid on iPhone too.

Fucking Sydney buses, this driver is either drunk or just can't drive for shit. Nearly had about 10 crashes and there's still half an hour left on this trip.

If I don't make it, I love you all.

Clipper

BanShunsaku said:
Fucking Sydney buses, this driver is either drunk or just can't drive for shit. Nearly had about 10 crashes and there's still half an hour left on this trip.

Assuming you survived, put a complaint through to the 131500 website. It sounds like that driver isn't fit to be on the road.

ShyGuy said:
C for Credit, 60-69%
I like how you didn't correct the Definitions...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm feeling fairly enthusiastic about doing a Bachelor of Info Tech and Systems at Monash Caufield next year. Seems like the right sort of path. Gives me the skills I need to be creative within the industry and maybe one day get a job in it, while also providing me with other employable skills.

I'll be continuing my classical piano training on the side. I hope to get my Associate degree in music by June next year.

Feeling good about it all right now.

Bernbaum

BrisGAF 2.0 - Bris Harder

Where?
Mana Bar, Fortitude Valley

When?
>Next week<, Tuesday or Wednesday, 6pm

What?
Video games, drinks at the bar, and a chance once again to meet your delightfully civilized GAF co-residents of the Sunshine state's capital.

Why next week?
It's overdue, and people have been asking for it, so I thought I'd bite the bullet. We're also on the cusp of the holiday season - people go on leave and aren't available.

That's kinda short notice.
It's the only time that suits me and others have expressed similar time constraints. Otherwise it'll be months, and not as many will be able to make it. It's early in the week so should be quiet, and people usually have work/uni drinks on Thurs and Fri. Yes, it's the start of Uni exams for the young'uns, but if you buy me a drink I'll help you study.

Who's Interested?
Agyar, Gazunta, Viciouskillersquirrel, yours truly, and probably half a dozen more.

Who's invited?
Everyone who can make it. Friends/significant others welcome. I'm not expecting any more people than what showed up last time, but it's a good group. There's probably a few stragglers who still haven't found AusGAF's new hiding spot, but I'll send out a batch of PM's to those who were invited last time.

What do we need to do?
Decide on either the Tuesday or Wednesday, and let the bar know we're coming so they can be extra nice to us.

Ventron

I think this coming Tuesday is trivia night, so I think all the people that'll come will be too many to form one BrisGAF team.

Ventron

Bernbaum said:
I can't find notice of when the next trivia night is, but they're usually every second Tuesday- they haven't had one since the 5th of Otober. Regardless, Wednesday suits me better.

Also, for those who may forgotten, a brief reminder of who is organizing this.

Trivia night on the 19th was canceled because Yahtzee was sick. Trivia nights are quite popular so I doubt we'd get special treatment if we go then (they get people from Destructoid as a trivia team and they get bugger all, but that could be because they keep winning).

I suppose we could pool our emails for next time? That would at least help where people forget to check the Online section...

BanShunsaku said:

I find it alarming that you have not checked in after this post.

jambo

I finally got around to playing Borderlands and god damn is it amazing.

I'll be playing all weekend if anyone wants to have a bash, I have all the DLC.

Ydahs

jambo said:
I finally got around to playing Borderlands and god damn is it amazing.

I'll be playing all weekend if anyone wants to have a bash, I have all the DLC.
PC version? I was going to get it a while ago but I recall hearing the PC version is slightly inferior compared to the console version. Now I regret not getting it...

AnkhWeasel said:
I find it alarming that you have not checked in after this post.
I'm OK, going to make a complaint though. That dude should not have a license.

On another note, Enslaved is about $45 on Zavvi, should I pull the trigger? I've read a couple of horror stories about Zavvi here recently, are they still any good?

Also, picked up my Back to the Future blu ray set last night to celebrate not dying in a fiery bus crash :D Wanted to get a copy of Rock Band 3 but as expected I couldn't find a copy anywhere :-(

Shaneus

Am I wrong for enjoying the fuck out of Kids WB on Go? The hosts are just the right level of goofy and stupid to be entertaining!

PS. So, RB3 is rare.. rather than just look for the best price, should I be grateful if I find *any* copies and buy it?

Rahk

BanShunsaku said:
I'm OK, going to make a complaint though. That dude should not have a license.

On another note, Enslaved is about $45 on Zavvi, should I pull the trigger? I've read a couple of horror stories about Zavvi here recently, are they still any good?

Also, picked up my Back to the Future blu ray set last night to celebrate not dying in a fiery bus crash :D Wanted to get a copy of Rock Band 3 but as expected I couldn't find a copy anywhere :-(
I thought Enslaved was a PS3 exclusive for some reason so it hasn't been on my radar. I have heaps of other shit to play though so I'll wait.

Zavvi is fine if you're not in a rush to get the game. In my experience it will typically take 2 weeks to arrive, sometimes more.

Shaneus said:
Am I wrong for enjoying the fuck out of Kids WB on Go? The hosts are just the right level of goofy and stupid to be entertaining!

PS. So, RB3 is rare.. rather than just look for the best price, should I be grateful if I find *any* copies and buy it?
I could only find it at EB so I just bought it from there.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wednesday's better for me anyway. My girlfriend's having a girls' night that night, so I won't have to feel guilty about ditching her to play video games.
Yup, Wednesday it is.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've made a terrible blog and yes it's really terrible. I wanted a place where i could put down what i think of a game while playing it and have it keep track of what i've actually played in a year, so for once i could have a real GOTY. First game was the nfs demo, sorry mar :lol

All the terrible sentence structure, paragraphs, words can be seen here. I thought of the name since everyone in steam chat believes i hate everything, by this time next year that could turn out to be true.

http://doilikevideogames.wordpress.com/

A new challenger approaches!

Now we just need one more before we can have a Gamecrux / BHGamer vs. DoILikeVideoGames / x doubles blog-war.

Also, RB3 from the UK seems like the way to go. Ozgameshop have it for $65.

hamchan

Games I'll be trying to play at the same time when my exams are over:
GT5
CoD:BO
WoW
Golden Sun 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Fable 3
Ys Seven
DJ Max Portable 3
Resonance of Fate

Waikis