• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the purpose of keeping the online Dick Smith store? Do they sell anything that Kogan can't? Seems like they would only get the brand.

I'm no marketing guru but even tarnished though it may be, the Dick Smith brand still has a better name than Kogan.

I'm sticking with Netflix (UK catalog not that different fron AU, just more UK stuff, natch) but along with BBC iPlayer (Hey ABC iView, its in HD) and Now TV (Sky TV's version of Foxtel GO, but is about the same price as Netflix each month and cancellable whenever, doesn't require a Sky TV sub, can sub separately for movies, sport or entertainment (TV shows) and is HD (720p ATM) and on most platforms. I also have Amazon Prime UK but rarely watch the content there since there's nothing major I want to see that's not on the others.

Kogan: Low rent stuff, not a great reputation for anything other than cheap.
Dick Smith: familiar, been around for yonks. Dick Smith keeps popping up on TV waffling on about something.

I wouldn't really buy from either, TBH.

Certainly I have nostalgia for DSE. But that's from when it was more like Jaycar. That said I'd trust them (pre-bankruptcy) more than Kogan.

Way back when when I was an Engineering undergrad I was knocked back for a job at the local Dick Smith, a proper one resistors and stuff, for a marketing student who knew about those new-fangled mobile phone thingies. Got a job a Jaycar though, I wonder which one is still around!

This 74,649KB Steam client download has taken 10 minutes so far. It's raining. Fuck this ADSL.

On that note, how much better in practical terms is a NBN 'up to 25Mbps' connection vs. my current 6Mbps speed? Should I expect considerably faster speed? What's the actual, real-world improvement expectation?

Gosford area, NSW central coast. I selected local pickup only, no takers so far. I'll try gumtree next.

Prepare to get low balled on gumtree, a lot.

On that note, how much better in practical terms is a NBN 'up to 25Mbps' connection vs. my current 6Mbps speed? Should I expect considerably faster speed? What's the actual, real-world improvement expectation?

Night and day, especially if you have more then one person using the connection.

Bishop89

Would you guys put tiles throughout your whole house? My partner is worried about floorboards being easily scratchable.

Pros and cons please :)

Darren870

Would you guys put tiles throughout your whole house? My partner is worried about floorboards being easily scratchable.

Horrible idea. Grout gets so dirty. I actually thought about ripping up the tiles in my kitchen to put floor boards.

Tiles crack and scratch just as easily and get dirtier much easier.

Good floor boards don't scratch and dent easily. Even if you go with cheap stuff it's easier to replace then tiles.

Fredescu

If you're on a slab, have you considered polished concrete? Relatively inexpensive, low maintenance, looks good. Might be too late if the slab is already poured since you would need to add decorative aggregate to the concrete for it to polish up nicely.

We have polished floorboards and they do scratch. Even if you put the little furry things on the bottom of stuff. Tends to only be in places you wouldn't notice though, like under the table.

Bishop89

Hmm bit of conflicting comments about the scratches with floorboards, keep em coming guys please :)

Also re: polished concrete, we are on a slab but wanted to go with floorboards, we ruled out polished concrete coz we were getting expensive quotes and I think it was too thin or something, can't remember it was ages ago.

Also if you are in Melbourne, any recommendations a good and affordable floorboards place?

Hmm bit of conflicting comments about the scratches with floorboards, keep em coming guys please :)

Also re: polished concrete, we are on a slab but wanted to go with floorboards, we ruled out polished concrete coz we were getting expensive quotes and I think it was too thin or something, can't remember it was ages ago.

Also if you are in Melbourne, any recommendations a good and affordable floorboards place?

never had floorboards but can be a lot louder to walk on.

Tiles don't scratch easily (but they can do, and chip) but can be really cold to walk on in cooler weather. You drop a plate on tiles, and it's gone (unless you go with cork tiles, but they are totally different altogether). Tiles are great if you have pets. Grout will always change colour and we advised not to go for trendy white grout since it goes yellow later on.

i can't say its better than wood, but I'd personally go tiles and carpet if I was building a house again.

quabba

I have floorboards upstairs and tiles downstairs. I prefer the floorboards for aesthetic but they do scratch over time, the tiles wear better and are cooler.

The previous owner did some bad scratches on the floorboards but nice thing is once it's worn enough I'll get them sanded and they will be up like new again. I think the look for floorboards will age better than tiles. I'd like to replace my tiles with something modern but it's a huge job to do that.

anyone got a set of count down clocks for the E3 shows complete with region count down clocks ?

E3-SCHEDULE-2016-2-1.png

Links to streams and complete list hereeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bishop89

Laminate floorboards vs bamboo.
Pros and cons please.

Went to choice flooring and the guy was was convincing us to go with laminate, scratching a bamboo piece with a key and showing the scratches easily (even though I wouldn't purposely scratch my floor). He then got the scratched bamboo piece and slammed the shit out of it on the laminate and it didn't show anything. He was saying how the new laminates are much thicker like 12mm and they look and sound like bamboo, compared to years ago.

He also mentioned something about the bamboo, if they are cheaply made in China, are more risk of copping cancer or whatever due to them using cheap glues and all that, and how it was on the US 60 min bla bla.

Something about the laminate being fake though rubs Me the wrong way.

Thoughts?

Quasar

cheers guys

what conferences are you all most excited for ?

I guess I'm most curious about Sony and maybe MS.

Guess I am also curious to see what non Star Wars games EA shows.

Curious to see given the supposed new MS PC strategy whether they will mention PC at their event or not.

Not really super hyped for anything. Maybe next year once NX, Neo and Scorpio are fighting.

Rezbit

Laminate floorboards vs bamboo.
Pros and cons please.

Went to choice flooring and the guy was was convincing us to go with laminate, scratching a bamboo piece with a key and showing the scratches easily (even though I wouldn't purposely scratch my floor). He then got the scratched bamboo piece and slammed the shit out of it on the laminate and it didn't show anything. He was saying how the new laminates are much thicker like 12mm and they look and sound like bamboo, compared to years ago.

He also mentioned something about the bamboo, if they are cheaply made in China, are more risk of copping cancer or whatever due to them using cheap glues and all that, and how it was on the US 60 min bla bla.

Something about the laminate being fake though rubs Me the wrong way.

Thoughts?

Tiles.

But seriously, I've heard some really bad things about laminate "floorboards", especially in terms of scratching and general wear and tear. They may hold up well for a couple years but once they deteriorate are pretty horrible. But on the other hand if you buy cheap bamboo floorboards you kinda get what you pay for. I realise I have given you no real advice lol.

cheers guys

what conferences are you all most excited for ?

Ubisoft is always a fun time.
Sony is on at a nice comfortable time and they usually have a few cool announcements from indies.
Bethesda will likely have a ton of awesome games and awesome gameplay. Their conf last year was lean and spot on for core gamers.
Microsoft is always at a shit hour so I'll probably just read the GAF writeup before Ubi comes on. Would love them to show some new stuff as aside from Horizon 3 I'm uninterested in their lineup (oh also Tacoma, how could I forget!). Horizon 3 is likely a must have though.
Nintendo are scratched this year.

Rayman 2 was one of the best 3D Mario games that, unlike Rare's classics BK and DK64, didn't feel like a slightly different take on SM64. R3 wasn't that great though.

I started this morning at Chapter 15 of Uncharted and played right through to the end (Chapter 22).

If it wasn't for E3 this week, I would quit gaming for a while to decompress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom