• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on the EA and Bethesda's conferences so far? EA's was a bit of a snore, almost literally, aside from the Battlefield shenanigans and the ever-so brief glimpse of Hennig's Star Wars.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Bethesda's showing; didn't know they had that much to share! Itching for more single player DOOM and Wolfenstein, hopefully they're on their way. Also, Skyrim Remastered for full retail price? lolno

dity

Looking forward to watching the conferences tonight. I'll give my thoughts then for sure. Might skip EA and go right for Bethesda.

Gazunta

I worked on the Skyrim Australian release for so long that when it came time for me to sit down and play the final game I stuck with it for like 10 minutes and went lol nope

In other gaming news I hooked up my PS2 so I can play some quality Street Fighter Alpha 2 again. I mean don't get me wrong the PS1 version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 is great but the slight resolution and frame rate bump was totally worth it, and the lack of loading screens was aaaaah just lovely.

E3 what's that

Thoughts on the EA and Bethesda's conferences so far? EA's was a bit of a snore, almost literally, aside from the Battlefield shenanigans and the ever-so brief glimpse of Hennig's Star Wars.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Bethesda's showing; didn't know they had that much to share! Itching for more single player DOOM and Wolfenstein, hopefully they're on their way. Also, Skyrim Remastered for full retail price? lolno

EA
Liked: TITANFALL 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also liked Mass Effect and BF1. Star Wars will be cool but so far off I'm not too worried about getting hyped now.
EA's publishing a 3D platformer. How did that last 3D platformer they published go?

Disliked: At some point, there will be EA Carbs. Those dudebros are wasting away.

Bethesda
Liked: Dishonored 2. Playing Skyrim on a console in a year when it's $10. Or replaying on steam this summer, I guess.
Disliked: Don't care too much about anything else they had. I loved this year's Doom and F4, though. Dunno if I'd bother with Prey or Quake, certainly don't care at all for Wolfenstein anymore.

EA: Good games but terrible presentation. Was a mess. Was 2014 all over again but with actual games. Lots of talking and no actual playing. Messy having the conf in UK & LA, didn't flow well at all and gave a lot of "well we are working on stuff, promise!". I'd rate it a C.

Bethesda: Started late, showed a lot of stuff without being overly impactful. Teased a new Wolfenstein which will be shown next E3 I guess, better than an unrelated CGI teaser. Spent a bunch of time on the MMO which was a shock, must be doing pretty well. The Prey reboot looks fantastic, the leak that said they were leaning towards System Shock/Bioshock was dead on. Dishonoured 2 looks like you expect, eh. I'd rate it a B+.

Not sure if I'll get up for Microsoft. Hell of a lot has already leaked out today and getting up up that early is likely to impact on the wife/kids which would make for a shitty day since my son has school!

Wait, Mass Effect? Then I GOTTA watch EA.

Very minor tease despite it releasing in 9 months time. I got blue balls bad :(

Dryk

I only just realised that Erica Luttrell is voicing Emily Kaldwin. I thought I couldn't be more excited for Dishonored but here we go

Quasar

My reaction to both is a big meh. Though maybe Hennigs game will overcome my StarWars burnout.

TITANFALL!!!!!!!! I still can't believe EA are so utterly stupid to release it and BF1 so closely together.

I'm thinking that only the next Battlefront is coming next year, everything else is a way off.
Correct, Hennig game is 2018 at earliest.

COD, Titanfall and Battlefield all within 15 days this year is dumb as fuck.

radaxian

Any advice on getting hold of a GTX 1070 or 1080 here in Australia?

(I guess the answer is to wait a few weeks but last week I built a new 6700k PC along with the Acer XB271HU. It's been 6 years but this wait using Intel integrated graphics is really killing me)

Any advice on getting hold of a GTX 1070 or 1080 here in Australia?

(I guess the answer is to wait a few weeks but last week I built a new 6700k PC along with the Acer XB271HU. It's been 6 years but this wait using Intel integrated graphics is really killing me)

PCCaseGear keeps dropping them but they don't last long. Seem to only have a Gigabyte Founders 1080 in stock at the moment. I think they are keeping most of their stock back for in-house system builds.

Bishop89

Laminate floorboards vs bamboo.
Pros and cons please.

Went to choice flooring and the guy was was convincing us to go with laminate, scratching a bamboo piece with a key and showing the scratches easily (even though I wouldn't purposely scratch my floor). He then got the scratched bamboo piece and slammed the shit out of it on the laminate and it didn't show anything. He was saying how the new laminates are much thicker like 12mm and they look and sound like bamboo, compared to years ago.

He also mentioned something about the bamboo, if they are cheaply made in China, are more risk of copping cancer or whatever due to them using cheap glues and all that, and how it was on the US 60 min bla bla.

Something about the laminate being fake though rubs Me the wrong way.

Thoughts?

bumpity bump please!

Received some devastating news yesterday. So much so that I forgot it was E3 until I opened up this thread from my subscriptions. It's going to be a rough week, I think.

bumpity bump please!
It sounds like he's a biased source. I see multiple red flags in that story that scream "be sceptical".

I know next to nothing about flooring, but maybe talk to another builder.

Received some devastating news yesterday. So much so that I forgot it was E3 until I opened up this thread from my subscriptions. It's going to be a rough week, I think.

It sounds like he's a biased source. I see multiple red flags in that story that scream "be sceptical".

I know next to nothing about flooring, but maybe talk to another builder.
Hope things improve :(

Thank you guys. I appreciate it.

I told my tale of woe to the guy at the takeaway place last night and they gave me a thing of free pork crackling because they felt bad for me.

I then proceeded to burst into tears in the car on the way home.

If you're ever in the Springfield Lakes area, check out BLVD restaurant. They make amazing food and are good people to boot.

Thank you guys. I appreciate it.

I told my tale of woe to the guy at the takeaway place last night and they gave me a thing of free pork crackling because they felt bad for me.

I then proceeded to burst into tears in the car on the way home.

If you're ever in the Springfield Lakes area, check out BLVD restaurant. They make amazing food and are good people to boot.

If pork crackling doesn't cheer you up, nothing will.

Gazunta

DID I OR DID I NOT TOTALLY FUCKING CALL IT

Ck3ZviDUYAAfKhj.jpg

Damn, VKS, hope you're OK. I can't remember if you drink but hit us up if you want to drink a well earned beer.

Halo Wars 2 looks real nice, downloading the beta now, have to work so have to wait until tonight to play.

Titanfall 2 gives me wood.

Also that Gazunta Crackdown 3 prediction is so money.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think with the announcement from Microsoft that most of their games are coming to PC now as well as Xbox, I think I might go sell my bone and grab a PS4 to complement the PC. The girlfriend only plays third party games like Lego so she'll be happy, and I'll be able to enjoy some of the exclusives especially that VR Batman game.

What is a better deal: trading into EB and paying the difference for a PS4; trading into EB for cash and finding a cheap one on Gumtree; or just swapping on Gumtree?

Quasar

Pretty amused that the Sucker Punch Spiderman rumours turned out to be Insomniac.

So the Sucker Punch / Insomniac confusion continues for another generation.

And delighted that Last Guardian is coming out around my birthday.

Quasar

What do you cobbers think about PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio?

Interesting, but really need to see them in action before I have any thoughts on them. I'm all for iterative consoles in theory though.

Of course with pretty much all of MS's exclusives not, and on PC as well its tough for me to have a lot of enthusiasm for xbo-s/scorpio. Though the S is potentially the cheapest UHD-BD player out there, so thats interesting to me.

Of course if i could rip and playback UHD discs on say a Nvidia Shield-TV that would change things a lot. But I suspect the new edition of AACS will take a good while to be cracked.

What is a better deal: trading into EB and paying the difference for a PS4; trading into EB for cash and finding a cheap one on Gumtree; or just swapping on Gumtree?
EB will offer you bugger all for the X1, if you have games to sell as well try on Gumtree or your local Facebook buy/swap/sell. Since the S is coming out soon I expect prices for the OG X1 to plummet.

A bunch of PS4 deals around lately, settling around the $400 mark. Big W will have it for $379 from Thursday.

What do you cobbers think about PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio?

Neo is a weird midcycle revision, feel like Sony wanted to make this generation longer and line up the PS4K against the Elite X1 whereas Scorpio is a legit new console generation. It's a bigger leap forward than the 360 to X1!

Since Scorpio isn't out for another 18 months (Xmas 2017) there is a hell of a lot that can and will change by then. I expect them to drop the 'games need to be playable on X1 & Scorpio' policy as it would kill the potential. I also expect their deal with Oculus will likely become deeper unless they work something out with HTC (which Bethesda would love lol). MS know how important VR will be, especially if PSVR is successful in that 14 month period.

Sony might downplay PS4K into more of a X1S style update rather than up the GPU. Slash the price of the PS4 this holiday period, release PS4K early next year to support 4K bluray/etc. Do a proper next gen console Xmas 2017 or just push the PS4K to that period and up the specs. MS have forced their hand, they need to either match their offering in 18 months time or find some way to circumvent it.

Microsoft have pulled the trigger. Next gen is coming. Sony don't have a choice. 3 options. Do the same, adapt or die.

Darren870

New consoles already? I'm still lugging around my original xbox and 360.

Ugh, I was thinking of getting an X1 recently too..

Gazunta

I think it's amazing I have yet to buy a Wii U, Xbone or PS4 and we're already talking about their replacement machines. I think I might just see if I can really skip this entire generation.

I'd like a HD 3DS please

Gazunta

A PS4 would be nice Stack! Maybe towards the end of the year if the price goes down and they don't announce PS4K will be coming next year.

Going to splash out on a PS4 soon as a gift to myself for being at work for 10 years. It'll be my first ever PlayStation. Mainly getting it for Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn. But looks like there will be plenty to try out in the future with Detroit: Become Human and Spiderman. Can't wait.

Going to splash out on a PS4 soon as a gift to myself for being at work for 10 years. It'll be my first ever PlayStation. Mainly getting it for Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn. But looks like there will be plenty to try out in the future with Detroit: Become Human and Spiderman. Can't wait.

The joy of jumping in mid generation is you can get tonsssssssssss of great games for super cheap.

bomma_man

I remember people evangelising about Citibank plus in here, so riddle me this:

BT are estimating that the dollar will be as low as .40cUS by the end of the year, and even if it's not that bad I doubt it's going to get better (even though US growth remains sluggish and interest rates low).

am I better off getting a travel card now instead so I can get US dollars at the current rate? The risk of a fucked exchange rate seems to outweigh Citibank's lack of fees.

Thanks for the advice!

Re games: I reckon I'll get a Scorpio eventually, but not a Neo. I never had a 360, or a One, so the best thing about this new model is backwards compatibility, even though I have irrational nostalgia for esoteric Japanese hardware.

I can't throw shade at a programmer mate who is porting a Unity game. You should hear how much he hates Unity. Damn social media, when all you want to do is bust someone's balls in an affectionate way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom