• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember people evangelising about Citibank plus in here, so riddle me this:

BT are estimating that the dollar will be as low as .40cUS by the end of the year, and even if it's not that bad I doubt it's going to get better (even though US growth remains sluggish and interest rates low).

am I better off getting a travel card now instead so I can get US dollars at the current rate? The risk of a fucked exchange rate seems to outweigh Citibank's lack of fees.

Thanks for the advice!

Re games: I reckon I'll get a Scorpio eventually, but not a Neo. I never had a 360, or a One, so the best thing about this new model is backwards compatibility, even though I have irrational nostalgia for esoteric Japanese hardware.

When it comes to exchange rates I go with the flow. If I was smart enough to predict where they were headed I'd be rich, but I'm not (not many people are).

dity

I'm mad disappointed that Days Gone just ended up being a zombie game. The trailer made it look nothing like that.

Jintor

rumour floating around a RDR trailer of some kind to end the show was removed because it was a shootout in a bar/club, which is fair enough.

bomma_man

When it comes to exchange rates I go with the flow. If I was smart enough to predict where they were headed I'd be rich, but I'm not (not many people are).

Fair enough, but I don't think any of the (so called?) experts are predicting it to increase so I feel like I should at least be hedging by getting a few grand in USD now. But I also have no idea what I'm doing so.

That showing of Days Gone wasn't really representative of what they've made for the most part. Was really odd choice but someone at Sony wanted to showcase the amount of zombies they could have on screen i guess. Main inspiration was Sons of Anarchy apparently. Having the E3 demo use completely scripted AI with unlimited assault rifle ammo was a big mistake IMO considering how burnt out people are on zombies.

rumour floating around a RDR trailer of some kind to end the show was removed because it was a shootout in a bar/club, which is fair enough.

Correct, I heard before E3 RDR was meant to end the Sony show. Also RDR remaster apparently. At least the Resi7 one panned out lol.

Yeah, but what about the good games?

Yeah, that was just a run of bad trailers I watched in a row. What else? Horizon looks pretty sweet, Forza Horizon 3 should be great (PC yay!), God of War actually looks interesting (big surprise for me), Zelda looks alright. Disappointed by Days Gone.

I think that about covers it for e3. Pretty average year overall.

Darren870

Fair enough, but I don't think any of the (so called?) experts are predicting it to increase so I feel like I should at least be hedging by getting a few grand in USD now. But I also have no idea what I'm doing so.

If you are looking to travel to the USA then yea, I suppose it would be smart to lock it in now.

However, I highly doubt it will get down to .40cents. (don't quote me) A lot of these "predictions" are just hidden ads or the way media tries to get people more engaged. If you look its by one firm, BT Investments, whom has had a pretty lack luster performance in their funds over the years. Its not someone I would trust. Especially since a survey done against analysts the median said it would lower to 72 then strengthen in coming years.

If the interest rates keep dropping then its likely to go lower. Unless the US slows down of course. Which, with their student loan debt and really poor job growth in May (38k when estimates were 150k) looks like it might happen.

If you are trying to make money thinking its going down, then do Forex Trading. Might be worth looking into the tax implications with forex, but its better then buying a travel card with some money on it.

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/investing/complex-investments/foreign-exchange-trading

IDK...its a weird time to invest. Stocks are doing good in certain sectors, but I wouldn't be surprised if another financial crash was to happen. If something big happens in China a lot of places would be fucked. People seem to be over borrowing all around the globe again. Spending more then their means. Student loan debt is crippling the incoming work force. Wages are low. China is buying up all property and real estate investments. Etc Etc Etc. *hides tinfoil hat*

You can literally find totally opposite predictions for the Aussie dollar right now e.g. up to $0.85 or down to $0.40. It's only one BT analyst saying $0.40 so I wouldn't be concerned.

New Zelda looks pretty boring.

Link: "yeah, well that's not what your mum said last night!"

But overall, a solid but not spectacular E3 (well conferences, the show itself has only just started going). No real megatons. No real missteps (yet).

But solid in that we have a release date for Last Guardian, got an X1 slim that plays 4k movies and announcement of the Scorpio, We got Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Gears, Forza Horizon 3, GT, lots of PSVR stuff.

It also has to be said, there'll be lots of stuff at the actual show that's not on the big stand, plus things being held back for Gamescom/TGS

Maybe because, Zelda aside, Nintendo have sat out this year. We feel a bit cheated, since the last few Nintendo E3 streams have proven refreshing.

bomma_man

If you are looking to travel to the USA then yea, I suppose it would be smart to lock it in now.

However, I highly doubt it will get down to .40cents. (don't quote me) A lot of these "predictions" are just hidden ads or the way media tries to get people more engaged. If you look its by one firm, BT Investments, whom has had a pretty lack luster performance in their funds over the years. Its not someone I would trust. Especially since a survey done against analysts the median said it would lower to 72 then strengthen in coming years.

If the interest rates keep dropping then its likely to go lower. Unless the US slows down of course. Which, with their student loan debt and really poor job growth in May (38k when estimates were 150k) looks like it might happen.

If you are trying to make money thinking its going down, then do Forex Trading. Might be worth looking into the tax implications with forex, but its better then buying a travel card with some money on it.

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/investing/complex-investments/foreign-exchange-trading

IDK...its a weird time to invest. Stocks are doing good in certain sectors, but I wouldn't be surprised if another financial crash was to happen. If something big happens in China a lot of places would be fucked. People seem to be over borrowing all around the globe again. Spending more then their means. Student loan debt is crippling the incoming work force. Wages are low. China is buying up all property and real estate investments. Etc Etc Etc. *hides tinfoil hat*

You can literally find totally opposite predictions for the Aussie dollar right now e.g. up to $0.85 or down to $0.40. It's only one BT analyst saying $0.40 so I wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's just for travel. I was skeptical of the BT report for much the same reasons as you (The US seems to be slumping again) but I think there was a Bloomberg one predicting it to be in the 60s or so.

I hate this shit.

Zelda looks fucking awesome though!

sony killed it :)

how much stuff was at nintendos ? and can somone remind me what sony had at last years E3 that that some prefered last years sony con?

Quasar

sony killed it :)

how much stuff was at nintendos ? and can somone remind me what sony had at last years E3 that that some prefered last years sony con?

Well it was the first showing of Horizon I thought. Plus things like the FF6 remake and Shenmue were announced. And Last Guardian shown again. And probably other stuff i forget.

r1chard

Playing SotC directly after UC4 and now I want SotC with UC4 graphics (and just a smidgeon of control tweaking). If there was something like that coming out on PS4 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

jambo

Playing SotC directly after UC4 and now I want SotC with UC4 graphics (and just a smidgeon of control tweaking). If there was something like that coming out on PS4 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Good news!

UFnqip4.png

r1chard

Watched Ascension on the Netflix because I've run out of sci-fi and it was all that was left. It's a good premise, but the show is let down but paper-thin characters and some pretty bad acting/casting. Neat twist right at the end, but the show clearly didn't get picked up to continue the story. At least it got one complete story arc in, unlike some shows (ohai Defying Gravity, which had all the things this show didn't).

Good news!
Yep :)

Played some more SoTC this evening and got frustrated to all get-out by the stupid jump (from the spiral ramp to the platform) before the third colossus fight. Tried three times, swam back, climbed, missed again. Ugh. Fuck that. Bad game designer, no cookie.

Jintor

It looks so barren and empty. The "wow it's so pretty and big" is only going to last until you're trudging through that big map seeing nothing for miles. Like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

depends. skyrim et all feel like i can't move for tripping over 'interesting' locations, except they're all shit. so i'm hoping hyrule feels different.

but it's really not the kind of thing i think you can judge from pre-release footage...

dity

depends. skyrim et all feel like i can't move for tripping over 'interesting' locations, except they're all shit. so i'm hoping hyrule feels different.

but it's really not the kind of thing i think you can judge from pre-release footage...
I'm just going off what they've shown. I just really hope they add more, otherwise it looks like a bigger version of Twilight Princess' overworld - which doesn't bode well imo. So here's hoping there's more on that map.

Jintor

They did say they removed all the towns from the demos to avoid giving off any spoilers whatsoever (didn't stop people trying to mine the shit out of anything there to figure out what's going on).

I wonder if there'll be more life, people going from place to place... other systems occuring in the background... would be a bit weird for a Zelda game, but we're already breaking from convention quite a bit...

dity

Towns is towns. I just hope there's more going on in the world in general. Seeing people travelling, seeing more enemies, that would be cool.

Jintor

i can't think of nintendo doing stuff where a bunch of systems interact with each other without player input before. Stuff like predator cycles (enemies needing to hunt, find food etc) might be interesting...

bomma_man

i can't think of nintendo doing stuff where a bunch of systems interact with each other without player input before. Stuff like predator cycles (enemies needing to hunt, find food etc) might be interesting...

Yeah it feels like the first time they've tried to make a sandbox rather than an open world.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's just for travel. I was skeptical of the BT report for much the same reasons as you (The US seems to be slumping again) but I think there was a Bloomberg one predicting it to be in the 60s or so.

I hate this shit.

Zelda looks fucking awesome though!

A good play for exchange rates is to convert half your money now and half before you go. Best and worst of both worlds really.

Bishop89

Big w starting today (as per catalogue) have doom ps4/Xbox for $55

Uncharted for $59

Fallout 4 for $39

Uncharted collection $45

Dualshocks for $75

Gazunta

Pro tip: Find a random number, double it and add a zero: That's how much shipping is going to cost.

Find another random number, divide it by three and take out a random digit. That's how much people are willing to pay for shipping.

Shipping is fucking expensive.

I shipped off two consoles this week and yiiiiiiikes fucking shipping

Pro tip: Find a random number, double it and add a zero: That's how much shipping is going to cost.

Find another random number, divide it by three and take out a random digit. That's how much people are willing to pay for shipping.

Shipping is fucking expensive.

I shipped off two consoles this week and yiiiiiiikes fucking shipping

was there a mancave-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom