• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck PC's.

Help please. I've got the OS on my SSD and an internal HDD for media. I turned the whole thing off and disconnected media drive and swapped in a larger one.

Now PC boots to a flashing underscore, removing the media drive and going to BIOS boot gives "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Help? Hope it didn't worked the SSD since nothing has even touched it. Fuck PC's.

EDIT: Reconnecting the old drive got it running again. Is this some kind of Win10 DRM? How can I swap out my media drive for a bigger one without borking my PC???

I can't get over how expensive the 1070 and the 1080 are here.
Friggin' Nvidia.

Like, legit just out of gong's city CBD.

Seems like it's more than double the cost of the 970 on PCCaseGear. That's insane.

Nvidia proving themselves to be scumbags once again.

449 USD = 608 AUD

+ 10% GST = 670 AUD

Slightly cheaper to get it shipped on Amazon assuming they give you mid market rates and low cost postage. Slightly worse Australia tax than the 1080, which was pretty much exactly the conversion + 10% and postage.

Just don't buy them if the price is too high. There will be plenty of 980s and some 980tis going for cheap second hand or getting price cuts. Please note that the current 970 prices are not what they originally retailed for, we had a stronger dollar in 2014 and even then many were north of 500 AUD.

Rizzi

449 USD = 608 AUD

+ 10% GST = 670 AUD

Slightly cheaper to get it shipped on Amazon assuming they give you mid market rates and low cost postage. Slightly worse Australia tax than the 1080, which was pretty much exactly the conversion + 10% and postage.

Just don't buy them if the price is too high. There will be plenty of 980s and some 980tis going for cheap second hand or getting price cuts. Please note that the current 970 prices are not what they originally retailed for, we had a stronger dollar in 2014 and even then many were north of 500 AUD.

But the 1070's are $780, not $670.

But the 1070's are $780, not $670.

Yes, but you'd have to get it shipped if you wanted to buy international. Meaning the premium for buying it in Australia is somewhere in the vicinity of 50-60 bucks, possibly less if Amazon or another store doesn't give you perfect mid market rates on the Australian dollar. If you assume shipping costs nothing, then the Australia tax is 15% on top of pure conversions and GST. Which is in the normal historical range for Nvid cards in Australia. I saved quite a bit of money on my 980Ti and 970 before that by buying from Amazon, while the 1070 is comparably not super attractive to do so.

The R9 390 is about a 5% Australia Tax ignoring shipping, and some of the 970s have an inverse Australia tax right now, being cheaper to buy locally than it is for an American to buy locally, same with the R9 Fury.

Cerity

Fuck PC's.

Help please. I've got the OS on my SSD and an internal HDD for media. I turned the whole thing off and disconnected media drive and swapped in a larger one.

Now PC boots to a flashing underscore, removing the media drive and going to BIOS boot gives "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Help? Hope it didn't worked the SSD since nothing has even touched it. Fuck PC's.

EDIT: Reconnecting the old drive got it running again. Is this some kind of Win10 DRM? How can I swap out my media drive for a bigger one without borking my PC???

Check the harddrive boot priority in bios. Sounds like the new harddrive is taking priority over your ssd. That or the new hard drive still has remnants of an old install?

Quasar

And so with my first auctions online in many years already I have someone asking:

"what would your buy it price be, I can pay you directly with paypal".

Now leaving aside the unfairness I guess of doing this kind of side transaction to the other bidders it is kind awkward. Ebay of course would charge me some kind of penalty I assume for cancelling an auction for obviosu reasons, but as I've never cancelled bids or items before just how does that process work if I was to try and do it?

Also rather annoying I cannot simply revise my items to include a 'buy it now' option.

Deeku

And so with my first auctions online in many years already I have someone asking:

Now leaving aside the unfairness I guess of doing this kind of side transaction to the other bidders it is kind awkward. Ebay of course would charge me some kind of penalty I assume for cancelling an auction for obviosu reasons, but as I've never cancelled bids or items before just how does that process work if I was to try and do it?

Also rather annoying I cannot simply revise my items to include a 'buy it now' option.
I used to ignore those or just reply the auction already started good luck.

Later I just wised up and always did buy it now listings, usually undercutting other listings by a few dollars. Works well if just want get rid o shit quick!

Quasar

I used to ignore those or just reply the auction already started good luck.

Later I just wised up and always did buy it now listings, usually undercutting other listings by a few dollars. Works well if just want get rid o shit quick!

Right, Yeah. I should have.

Especially this one item which seems way in demand as I've now had a second person offer me a crazy amount (imo $120 for a 2nd gen Apple TV is crazy - for gods sake its not even able to output 1080) if I do it off the books as it were. So it seems like I might be running a second auction manually if I want to cater to these two people.

So what are the non financial penalties for me withdrawing the item and dealing with one of these two bozos?

mulac

I'm flying to Austin in July with work - i sense an amazon.com free for all purchase on graphics cards, tech, stuff coming...

Fuck the other bidders! I'm pretty sure it's free to cancel as you don't pay to list items anymore, providing it's not ending soon.

Make sure you ask for the PayPal to be a gift payment.

I'm flying to Austin in July with work - i sense an amazon.com free for all purchase on graphics cards, tech, stuff coming...

Might not be worth it if the are charging sales tax.

Quasar

Fuck the other bidders! I'm pretty sure it's free to cancel as you don't pay to list items anymore, providing it's not ending soon.

Make sure you ask for the PayPal to be a gift payment.

Might not be worth it if the are charging sales tax.

I did think about asking him to just pay with direct deposit to avoid any paypal fees and see if they would go for that.

And looking at his ebay page its clear why he's offering that amount. He seems to make a living (or a hobby) out of jail breaking them installing kodi and then selling em for 200$ or more.

Check the harddrive boot priority in bios. Sounds like the new harddrive is taking priority over your ssd. That or the new hard drive still has remnants of an old install?

Seems like when I did the OS install on the SSD it wrote some shit onto the HDD as I didn't disconnect it at the time. Currently the HDD is also considered a 'system' drive in Disk Management so now I gotta wait for the SSD to backup onto another drive then try running Windows Repair with just the SSD connected.

I love computers!

Seems like when I did the OS install on the SSD it wrote some shit onto the HDD as I didn't disconnect it at the time. Currently the HDD is also considered a 'system' drive in Disk Management so now I gotta wait for the SSD to backup onto another drive then try running Windows Repair with just the SSD connected.

I love computers!

Problem in chair, not in computer :p

dity

I wonder if a GTX 1080 would be bottlenecked by my i3-6100.

I mean, with the i3 and my 950 I can already do high or max settings on most games at 60fps. I just wonder what the breaking point would be lol... Although, both my monitor and TV are only 60hz. So is there even a point?

I wonder if a GTX 1080 would be bottlenecked by my i3-6100.

I mean, with the i3 and my 950 I can already do high or max settings on most games at 60fps. I just wonder what the breaking point would be lol... Although, both my monitor and TV are only 60hz. So is there even a point?

Most games counting all the ones from the 80's and 90's, right? Coz that wouldn't be maxing most modern games :p

dity

Most games counting all the ones from the 80's and 90's, right? Coz that wouldn't be maxing most modern games :p
I can play Fallout 4 on ultra, Overwatch on high @ 1440p, Life is Strange, Firewatch and Rocket League as high as they go, go pretty high with MGSV.

Skylake is pretty good, yo, and I got no reason to lie.

I can play Fallout 4 on ultra, Overwatch on high @ 1440p, Life is Strange, Firewatch and Rocket League as high as they go, go pretty high with MGSV.

I'm referring to your 950! That's not a particularly potent card and won't max most modern games, esp not at 60fps. Stuff like Rocket League or Life is Strange, sure.

I did think about asking him to just pay with direct deposit to avoid any paypal fees and see if they would go for that.

And looking at his ebay page its clear why he's offering that amount. He seems to make a living (or a hobby) out of jail breaking them installing kodi and then selling em for 200$ or more.

Even better idea.

Rocket league runs on a toaster.

Cerity

I both love and hate this rain we're getting in brisbane right now. 100% I'll be getting a good nights sleep thanks to the rain, it is chilling me out so much. On the other hand I have washing to do and we don't have a clothes drier.

dity

I'm referring to your 950! That's not a particularly potent card and won't max most modern games, esp not at 60fps. Stuff like Rocket League or Life is Strange, sure.
It's not a reference card, if that's what you're wondering. It's one of those OC'd cards.

But regardless I said high OR max. So max, or a notch or two under that. No game makes me hit medium settings.

Darren870

Yea, direct deposit or gift. Otherwise he can just do a charge back.

Fredescu

Whenever I go into data management on my Wii U, it sits at "preparing" forever. Has anyone ever gotten around this? There is one workaround to download a 100MB game or demo or something, but I only have 3MB free so that won't work too well. Think I may have a bricked Wii U.

dity

Whenever I go into data management on my Wii U, it sits at "preparing" forever. Has anyone ever gotten around this? There is one workaround to download a 100MB game or demo or something, but I only have 3MB free so that won't work too well. Think I may have a bricked Wii U.
Have you got any external storage attached? Maybe that's stuffing it up?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Alright Mutes time to shine! How to fix problem? I've done a reset but it still has the exact same issue.

Insert SSD
Boot from Windows 10 install USB
Format, Install
Insert new larger HDD
Format
Finished.

Boot off Windows install USB
Attempt recovery
Failed?
Advanced options
Command
/sfc scannow
Reboot
Fixed? Broken?
See above steps if broken.

Insert SSD
Format, Install
Insert new larger HDD
Format
Finished.

Attempt recovery
Failed?
Advanced options
Command
/sfc scannow
Reboot
Fixed? Broken?
Awesome, thanks for the help Cookie, I'll try this now!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Awesome, thanks for the help Cookie, I'll try this now!

The issue is more or less, can you survive formatting and starting fresh? If so, just do that.

You can attempt to work around it if you need the data. if you can pull the contents of the log file (the one that shows up on your blue screen) then you can kinda figure out what might be broken and go from there.

Boot into recovery / USB Install
CMD
type C:\Windows\System32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt
Let us know what it says.

Others are saying just run a chkdsk
Chkdsk /f /r C:

The issue is more or less, can you survive formatting and starting fresh? If so, just do that.

You can attempt to work around it if you need the data. if you can pull the contents of the log file (the one that shows up on your blue screen) then you can kinda figure out what might be broken and go from there.

CMD
type C:WindowsSystem32logfilessrtsrttrail.txt

Chkdsk /f /r C:
How do I boot into the USB install? BIOS ain't picking it up as a boot option!

Cerity

Started playing DOOM, I love how it just gives you a gun and expects you to start killing things right off the bat. I also love how fast paced it is but I'm finding it a bit too fast paced? I find the transition from combat to exploration a bit too jarring and I end up (probably) skipping a load of stuff just to get to the next combat zone. Hopefully I get used to it soon.

How do I boot into the USB install? BIOS ain't picking it up as a boot option!

Depending on your motherboard, it can be picked up as a number of diff options. Sometimes they're picked as actual hard drives, other times as USB-HDD or USB-Storage. It does get confusing.

Gazunta

Added heaps of more retrogaming gear to the store, help me get rid of this stuff folks :)

Hooked up a Saturn to a Bravia today through RF and I don't know what voodoo it's doing but it looks way better than a console hooked up to a TV through RF should. So that was nice!

So...if I'm going to be getting a Surface Pro 4 next week I guess I can get back into PC gaming, suggestions folks?

No dice cookie, everything came back fine, SFC work (Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation).

EDIT: No dice booting into USB so trying it while running Windows. Been sitting at checking for updates for a longggggggggggggggggg time now :/

Added heaps of more retrogaming gear to the store, help me get rid of this stuff folks :)

Hooked up a Saturn to a Bravia today through RF and I don't know what voodoo it's doing but it looks way better than a console hooked up to a TV through RF should. So that was nice!

So...if I'm going to be getting a Surface Pro 4 next week I guess I can get back into PC gaming, suggestions folks?

So basically you'll be able to run emulations of the games you've just gotten rid of and games up to 360/PS3 era.

Started playing DOOM, I love how it just gives you a gun and expects you to start killing things right off the bat. I also love how fast paced it is but I'm finding it a bit too fast paced? I find the transition from combat to exploration a bit too jarring and I end up (probably) skipping a load of stuff just to get to the next combat zone. Hopefully I get used to it soon.

It's mainly combat with a little exploration. I had to give up on the game this week after getting my ass handed to me by a boss around 3/4 of the way through (even after dumbing the difficulty down to minimum. Game locks off an area and spawns waves of enemies at you until you beat them. Its rare you walk around without being given a hint as to where you go next.

Cheers, I can't figure this out for the life of me...haha. I'm supposed to be computer literate too!

Is the show you want on iTunes or Google Play? It might just be easier to buy it.

So, when I first landed here, I bought a cheap Hoover-branded vacuum from Argos for 50 pounds. It was ok, and then it was shit and just seemed to get blocked remarkably easily and exceedingly difficult to clean. This week I got a new Miele for about 150 from amazon uk and why the fuck does a vacuum cleaner that actually works make me so happy? I was leaning towards a Dyson, but Sir James Dyson turning out to be a Brexiter made me choose Miele instead.

Speaking of Brexit. This fucking referendum has become so awful. The Brexit thread on OT is like a shitfight merged with a vomit-conference based on a diarrhea festival. Why the fuck is a certain (former?) ausgaffer in there trying to get me to lose my right to work here? You used to be cool,
Arksy.

Also, I dunno when it will screen in Australia, but if you like Black Adder at all, particularly Blackadder II, you need to seek out Upstart Crow written by Ben Elton and starring David Mitchell.

Insert SSD
Format, Install
Insert new larger HDD
Format
Finished.

Attempt recovery
Failed?
Advanced options
Command
/sfc scannow
Reboot
Fixed? Broken?

Alright, won't let me boot off install USB, is there some way to do it manually?

BIOS and boot menu doesn't recognise the USB for some reason.

I tried booting off the USB while in Win10 and went through the whole process and the 'system' drive is still marked as the HDD not the SSD. Note that the HDD is connected to the PC during that whole process as you can't start the PC without the HDD connected.

How can I format the SSD without access to Win10? Is that something I can do at BIOS? The issue then is how do I install Win10!

CMD
type C:\Windows\System32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

Chkdsk /f /r C:
24 hours after trying to just have a larger HDD so maybe I can think about doing some PC gaming in the future and I still have to manually boot the PC so at this point I don't care about the data, it's backed up, I just want the POS to actually run.

The srttrail didn't come up with anything negative.

Fredescu

I'm coming at this late Rep, so sorry if this has been suggested/tried, but have you tried taking an image backup of your old drive and installing that on your new one?

Image backup is kinda hidden in Windows 10 under control panel, file history. It's a full image, so expect it to take a while. The resulting media is not bootable either, so you'll still need the system repair disk to boot from. The option to restore from the image is in the recovery options. I would leave your old drive completely unplugged when attempting to install the image.

I'm coming at this late Rep, so sorry if this has been suggested/tried, but have you tried taking an image backup of your old drive and installing that on your new one?

Image backup is kinda hidden in Windows 10 under control panel, file history. It's a full image, so expect it to take a while. The resulting media is not bootable either, so you'll still need the system repair disk to boot from. The option to restore from the image is in the recovery options. I would leave your old drive completely unplugged when attempting to install the image.
Is that an image of the OS SSD or the 'system' HDD which has boot items on it required to boot the OS?

Anything I do inside Win10 requires the HDD to be connected, otherwise the SSD can't get me into Win10.

I joined! Not sure what it's doing though.

I'm downloading the offical Win10 ISO to burn to a DVD since the USB doesn't want to work at BIOS/boot. Logically I should be able to ask BIOS to boot from that DVD into the format process right?

Fredescu

Is that an image of the OS SSD or the 'system' HDD which has boot items on it required to boot the OS?

If you have a system partition on a separate disk to your OS, the image backup should include it as long as it meets some basic requirements like being NTFS formatted and not being a dynamic disk. If it's not a system partition, but just the (whatever the MBR equivalent is these days) the process of restoring the image should make the new drive bootable.

Anything I do inside Win10 requires the HDD to be connected, otherwise the SSD can't get me into Win10.

Yeah so you make the image inside windows 10, but then unplug the drives that contain the old OS and boot from a USB system recovery disk.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well if you can boot into your normal windows 10 with everything plugged in.

- You can go the image route like fred mentioned, which could work.
- Burn the Windows 10 ISO to a DVD (as you are doing) and boot off that
- Create a bootable USB/DVD with gparted and boot into that, mark the SSD as active/bootable, reboot

Discord - Not sure what the link didn't put you into the ausgaf room. Oh well. no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom