• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Paypass is so damn easy, can't believe the Yanks don't have it.

It is weird that only now they are getting chip and pin cards (and even with thatvtheres some fightback from what I understand), let alone contactless payments. But then they also seem to be still heavily into cheques.

That said there are security issues with nfc payment systems like paypass that are problematic. Things that Phone based systems like androidPay and Applepay seem to solve.

I read years ago that the main reason the US hadn't introduced more advanced methods than signatures is because the credit card companies, at the time, charged less for signatures than they did more computerised systems.

It just wasn't in the interest of the vendors to actually bother.

Stackboy

I've got this weird issue with my PS4 where it's download new patches for games, but keeps erroring on the system update when trying to download. Any ideas?

I need malaria tablets and the side effects are "intense depression, confusion, anxiety, and restlessness". All the things you want while you travel........ :|

I need malaria tablets and the side effects are "intense depression, confusion, anxiety, and restlessness". All the things you want while you travel........ :|
I took malaria tablets with slightly different side effects (sensitivity to sun, confusion, anxiety, death, etc) a number of years ago.

The sensitivity to sun (given it was 30-35c weather daily) and confusion was enough to make me stop after two days. It was bad enough that I was willing to risk malaria at that point. Guess I'll find out how that turned out in about ten more years.

r1chard

What's weird in America is how many of them still using cheques to pay for rent or whatever.

BPAY yo.
A lot of USians have an account with some tiny little home-town bank ("According to the FDIC, there were 6,799 FDIC-insured commercial banks in the United States as of February 11, 2014"). Nightmare territory for something like BPAY.

Quasar

Well. Cancelled my netflix now that I got the price increase notice.

Though I might re-sub to the Australian Netflix. Turned out that US9.95 is more than AUD 11.95. At least if google is not lying to me.

I do lose all the ratings and favourites and everything though.

Now to test how much I really need it before resubscribing.

Darren870

What's weird in America is how many of them still using cheques to pay for rent or whatever.

BPAY yo.

We don't know how to do anything right in America when it comes to banking. Its pathetic. Even the chip and pin we have now is actually chip and sign I believe. Which doesn't make much since we have pins with our debit cards. Its really stupid to be honest.

America just doesn't want to change.

Where are you going? I've never taken Malaria tablets. Sometimes if you look at the map you can see that its really not needed or cases are so rare. The side effects are a bit wonky.

BPAY yo.

We don't know how to do anything right in America when it comes to banking. Its pathetic. Even the chip and pin we have now is actually chip and sign I believe. Which doesn't make much since we have pins with our debit cards. Its really stupid to be honest.

America just doesn't want to change.

I only just got a new BoA chip card, only because they sent me a new one because of a breach somewhere.
Paying bills in the US was a pain, rent went to a sort of direct deposit, utilities were paid by a different type of direct debt, etc.

But the weirdest one is their interpretation of billing address (but one we all benefit from) is not the address where the card is linked to like everywhere else, but where you would send a bill IF you were to receive a paper invoice.

The UK stuff is only slightly better but I grew to hate those bank tokens in Australia (Suncorp) but the UK one's are fucking huge (it looks like a calculator with a card slot on top.
Barclays_Pinsentry_5920.jpg
. You can't really use online banking n a desktop without this shit. Mobile is far, far more usable. They obviously learned a lot from the GFC as it takes close to an hour to open a bank account.

tl;dr fuck everything

Darren870

Yea, the pinsentry is fucked up. I still have my Barclays one but no card.

Thankfully I downloaded the app on my ipad so I can actually use my ipad as a pinsentry so I can log into internet banking for Barclays.

Such a weird weird system. Thank god for mobile banking, I just want to see my account balance damnit!

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/a-game-was-just-refused-classification-in-australia/

How weird that a game rated so lowly in other countries gets RC'd here.

Guess it was the sex and drugs.

It was probably the drugs. The classifiers deny anything that shows drugs in anything other than a completely accurate light or badly. They freaked out when Fallout 3 had Morphine for instant damage reduction something it clearly doesn't do and forced Bethesda to change it the Med-X.

I dunno that Barclays thingamajig looks pretty cool

Mobile: once you set up, put in a five digit code that you select to access your account.

Desktop- type in your surname, sort code, last four digits of your card, put debit card into Pinsentry, type in last four digits of card in Pinsentry, then take note of the six digit code and type that into your desktop browser. And then do it again when it times out. Every time. And then you'll need to do this again to do certain things like setting up a standing order (automated direct deposit).

The devil is more likely to be handsome and charming rather than ugly and obviously evil.

Darren870

The devil is more likely to be handsome and charming rather than ugly and obviously evil.

You kind of get excited when you first get it... thinking it's unique and secure. Everything is safe!

Then you use it... and its then you know the true meaning of hell.

Oh and you only get one. Meaning you can't do any online banking at work unless you bring it from home. or someone magically has one in their desk.

Mobile banking wasn't really around till my last year in the UK. Ugh!!!

You kind of get excited when you first get it... thinking it's unique and secure. Everything is safe!

Then you use it... and its then you know the true meaning of hell.

Oh and you only get one. Meaning you can't do any online banking at work unless you bring it from home. or someone magically has one in their desk.

Mobile banking wasn't really around till my last year in the UK. Ugh!!!
Bless Barclays. They blocked payments for my account on any site using verified by visa because they thought a payment to SCAMBS looked dodgy.

It's the abbreviation for south Cambridgeshire local council as well as being their domain. So when I paid some council tax (don't get me started on that) it futzed up a stack of online payments till I rang them to fix it.

Rizzi

Have any of you guys ordered PC parts from Mwave before? Getting a new video card, and they have it for $40 cheaper than PC Case Gear, which is where I normally get things from.

Cerity

mwave are usually pretty good. I've ordered from them a couple times and I only really got jipped once - their online store said that an item was instock when it wasn't. Had to wait an extra week but even then they were pretty good with communication.

The only computer place I'd really avoid from experience is greenboxit. Took someting like 3 weeks to ship a 2 piece order with no communication.

Stackboy

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/a-game-was-just-refused-classification-in-australia/

How weird that a game rated so lowly in other countries gets RC'd here.

Guess it was the sex and drugs.

You know we can't have sexy drugs here in Australia.

Fixed my PS4 issue, it wouldn't let me sign in at all so I couldn't do any troubleshooting on the system download. But eventually I got it to recognise that it needed a system update on launch and downloaded and installed automatically. Weird issue. The night before I restarted my router without checking if anything was downloading, wonder if that was the issue.

Man I have been loving Overwatch! For anyone interested Lasmash is on again on the 9th and 10th of July, there's a TF2 comp and an Overwatch comp happening. I'll be there both days, oh boy!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/893632417430080/

Gazunta

Ugh that reminds me my MIL's partner is obsessed with how mobile phone radiation gives you brain cancer so she makes my MIL use speakerphone when she calls. Annoying as fuuuuuuck.

Yet, wifi and bluetooth is fine gah

Fredescu

I've had good experiences with MWave too. Make sure you've calculated shipping before comparing prices as I always found their shipping to cost a fair bit. I usually pick up.

Agreed about GreenboxIT being weird. They have low prices so they appear high up on Static Ice, but there is a "pick up fee" so it's impossible to ever pay the listed prices as you're ether paying shipping or paying that fee. Pretty dodgy. Their shopfront trades under a completely different name.

senahorse

Have any of you guys ordered PC parts from Mwave before? Getting a new video card, and they have it for $40 cheaper than PC Case Gear, which is where I normally get things from.

I just ordered a motherboard off them on Tuesday afternoon, sent out yesterday, in my hands today. PC Case Gear on the other hand I always seem to have issues with.

Does anyone know if there's a place we can report businesses for illegal surcharges? :/ after forking out $9 for a hot chocolate at the guylian chocolate cafe I looked at the bill and saw I was getting a 10% surcharge because it was saturday. Manager was really rude and straight up did not believe me when I told her it was illegal :/

Fredescu

I don't think the surcharge is illegal, but they do need to display it prominently. The fact that you were surprised by it suggests that it was not displayed prominently enough. I assume you could report that to the ACCC.

Rizzi

So I sold an old video card I had floating around to CEX online. Got a tracking number from Australia Post when I sent it off, and they claim it was delivered a few days ago.
Haven't heard anything from them since, and their online tracker says they're still waiting to receive it.
So that's.. fun.

senahorse

I have had multiple problems with Australia Post in the last 6 months, their service has really seemed to go downhill, all started happening (at least to me) around the time Turnbull announced the service slashing, guess was to be expected.

I don't think the surcharge is illegal, but they do need to display it prominently. The fact that you were surprised by it suggests that it was not displayed prominently enough. I assume you could report that to the ACCC.

Thanks, I might do that. It wasn't prominent at all!

Fredescu

Thanks, I might do that. It wasn't prominent at all!

I found this: https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing/displaying-prices

ACCC said:
Restaurants, cafes and bistros that charge a surcharge on certain days do not need to provide a separate menu or price list or have a separate price column with the surcharge factored in. However, the menu must include the words “a surcharge of [percentage] applies on [the specified day or days]” and these words must be displayed at least as prominently as the most prominent price on the menu.

If the menu does not have prices listed, these words must be displayed in a way that is conspicuous and visible to a reader. These measures apply to pricing for both food and beverages.

Deeku

Does anyone know if there's a place we can report businesses for illegal surcharges? :/ after forking out $9 for a hot chocolate at the guylian chocolate cafe I looked at the bill and saw I was getting a 10% surcharge because it was saturday. Manager was really rude and straight up did not believe me when I told her it was illegal :/
man 9 bucks seems like a lot for a hot chocolate lol

Deeku

I mean, it's there. I would have noticed it to be honest.

The more important thing is, what the hell surcharge on weekends? Public holidays I get, weekend charge seems like a rort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom